PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful Around Shot Puts!

kepdawg
03-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Student hit in head by shot put at Burleson High 2:43 PM CT

02:44 PM CDT on Wednesday, March 12, 2008

From Staff Reports

A student was recovering Wednesday after being hit in the head by a shot put during track practice at Burleson High School, a district official said.

Burleson school district superintendent Mark Jackson said the student had gone to retrieve his and another teammate’s shot puts about 5 p.m. Tuesday when a third student took a turn with his shot put.

As teammates warned the student of the flying shot put, the student tried to duck to avoid it but was instead struck in the head, superintendent Jackson said. The coach began to administer first aid and 911 was called.

“It was just one of those situations – wrong place, wrong time,” he said.

The student was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital. His parents said his situation was improving and that the student had a skull fracture, the school district said.

Officials were reviewing the incident to see whether any practice guidelines should be changed, the superintendent said.

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/031308dnmetshotput.4a02351c.html)

AP Panther Fan
03-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

Officials were reviewing the incident to see whether any practice guidelines should be changed, the superintendent said.

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/031308dnmetshotput.4a02351c.html)

Well, you think?:rolleyes:

eppy 12
03-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Well, you think?:rolleyes: how about an "all clear" whistle or air horn?

LH Panther Mom
03-12-2008, 04:09 PM
I saw a kid get hit halfway between his shoulder and elbow with a shot a few years ago and the head would be worse. Thankfully, this boy is okay!

lakers
03-12-2008, 04:15 PM
when i was in school one kid was retreiving a discus from the field and was hit in the head by another discus. they had to rush him to the hospital and thankfully it turned out ok. The kid had to wear a helment everywhere he went for a few months to prevent reinjuring it. I remembered his mom sued the school, but I dont remember if she got anything out of it or not.

AP Panther Fan
03-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by eppy 12
how about an "all clear" whistle or air horn?

I don't know the answer, but there should be some sort of safety guidelines about kids retrieving their shot or discus while others are throwing.

I know accidents happen, but wow, this certainly could have been tragic as LHPM mentioned.

coach
03-12-2008, 05:16 PM
i know a kid who was hit in the head with a discuss

wildstangs
03-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I am coaching our 8th grade throwers. I have almost had my teeth knocked out by an errant discus. At the Canyon meet last week one of the kids picking up the shots came very close to getting hit. I am surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Silverback 04
03-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Last summer at an AAU track meet in Elgin, one of the senior competitors was hit at the base of his skull I believe. They performed CPR prior to the air lift helo getting there but the gentleman died from those injuries. Saddest thing I've seen in sports. Very dangerous event if safety precautions are not adhered to.

injuredinmelee
03-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
Last summer at an AAU track meet in Elgin, one of the senior competitors was hit at the base of his skull I believe. They performed CPR prior to the air lift helo getting there but the gentleman died from those injuries. Saddest thing I've seen in sports. Very dangerous event if safety precautions are not adhered to.

got hit with a discus in the shoulder. If it wasnt for my cat quick reflexes it would have been in the head.

crzyjournalist03
03-13-2008, 09:39 AM
So, if you get hit by the put, do you get to keep it like you do a baseball or hockey puck??? :D

LH Panther Mom
03-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
So, if you get hit by the put, do you get to keep it like you do a baseball or hockey puck??? :D
:doh: Maybe the dent(s).

***hijack sort of***

Several years ago, our softball team was playing (before they had their own field) on the field behind one of my son's little league games. The pitcher was in my oldest son's grade and his g/f was on the team, also. He was going back & forth between games, and came running up to ask if I had seen what had happened. The batter hit a hard one right toward center field. It beaned the pitcher right in the forehead and she went down. :( She was okay, but had a lace imprint bruise in her forehead for a few days.