PDA

View Full Version : A pretty sad story from college football

mwynn05
03-12-2008, 02:42 PM
One child left behind
McElrathbeys deserved better from Bowden, Clemson
Posted: Wednesday March 12, 2008 2:49PM; Updated: Wednesday March 12, 2008 2:49PM
Free E-mail AlertsE-mail ThisPrint ThisSave ThisMost PopularRSS Aggregators

Ray Ray McElrathbey is no longer a member of the Clemson football team after Tommy Bowden pulled his scholarship this week.
Ray Ray McElrathbey is no longer a member of the Clemson football team after Tommy Bowden pulled his scholarship this week.
Icon SMI

ADVERTISEMENT

Warning: What follows may be hazardous to your belief in happy endings.

If you remember the uplifting story of Ray Ray McElrathbey, the Clemson running back who rescued his younger brother from a bleak home life two years ago by bringing the boy to live with him and becoming his legal guardian, you may not want to know about the latest developments in his saga, which aren't nearly so heartwarming. This is the world of big-time college athletics and, sooner or later, that world almost always turns cold.

McElrathbey first gained national attention in 2006, after taking over custody of his brother Fahmarr, who was 11 at the time. Fahmarr had been in and out of foster care in Atlanta for much of his childhood -- just as Ray Ray had -- because of their father's gambling problems and their mother's addiction to crack cocaine. Once McElrathbey was settled at Clemson with a football scholarship, he decided to help his little brother escape that life as well by giving Fahmarr a stable home -- his own.

It was a sweet story made sweeter by the normally soulless NCAA, which granted the financially strapped McElrathbey a waiver allowing him to accept monetary aid from the university and the public in the form of a trust fund for Fahmarr, as well as home care from coaches' families for him while Ray Ray in class or at practice. McElrathbey was widely and deservedly praised for character and maturity beyond his years and Clemson was credited for having a football program with a heart.

But that happy tale took a disheartening turn earlier this week when Clemson announced that McElerathbey's scholarship would not be renewed even though he has two more years of eligibility remaining. Contrary to popular belief, football scholarships are not guaranteed four-year rides, but year-to-year deals that can be pulled at the school's discretion.

Although Clemson coach Tommy Bowden has been vague in his explanations, it appears that he pulled McElrathbey's scholarship because, after signing 25 new recruits last month, the Tigers had to take away some existing scholarships to stay under the NCAA maximum of 85. With several running backs ahead of him on the depth chart, Ray Ray became expendable. "We're pretty good at running back right now," coach Tommy Bowden said, as if that was the only issue.

Cold-blooded? Heartless? You bet. Having one more scholarship to hand out isn't going to change Clemson's program in any significant way, but losing it certainly could change Ray Ray and Fahmarr's lives.

Ray Ray now has the choice of transferring to another school to finish his eligibility (if he can find one willing to offer him a scholarship), or he could finish his degree requirements over the summer, enroll in graduate school at Clemson and accept an offer to become a football graduate assistant, a position that would pay for his tuition, but not his room and board.

In short, the McElrathbey brothers' lives are again up in the air thanks to Bowden's lack of compassion. Apparently having an extra inside linebacker or tight end is more important to him than showing loyalty to a young man who has given three years of effort to the program -- to someone trying to raise a teenager.

McElrathbey hasn't spoken publicly since the decision. Teammate and friend James Davis suggests he doesn't want to speak negatively about Clemson for fear it would discourage other schools from offering him a scholarship. If that's the case, at least it indicates that McElrathbey is planning on leaving Clemson behind, which is the smart thing to do, since Clemson has done exactly that to him.

Fear not for the McElrathbey brothers. They have overcome far greater obstacles than this one, and it's unlikely that they will let Clemson's callous decision derail them for long.

Whatever the future holds, Ray Ray should be remembered at Clemson as a young man who understood the meaning of commitment and character. A college is supposed to provide its students with an education but, in the end, it's a shame that Clemson's program didn't learn more from him.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/phil_taylor/03/12/mcelrathbey.clemson/index.html

pirate4state
03-12-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry, how is this Bowden's responsibility?? I don't think I like the way this article is written! :thinking:

I_DONT_CARE
03-12-2008, 02:54 PM
WOW! IS THIS THE FIRST TIME A COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP HAS EVER BEEN CUT? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE YOUNGER BROTHER, MAYBE 3 PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF THE IMMEDIATE TEAM/COACHES/PLAYER WOULD HAVE EVEN HEARD ABOUT THIS.

mwynn05
03-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
WOW! IS THIS THE FIRST TIME A COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP HAS EVER BEEN CUT? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE YOUNGER BROTHER, MAYBE 3 PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF THE IMMEDIATE TEAM/COACHES/PLAYER WOULD HAVE EVEN HEARD ABOUT THIS. so you DO care?

Ranger Mom
03-12-2008, 03:07 PM
It's a sad situation, for sure. I hope someone else picks him up!

gatordaze
03-12-2008, 03:09 PM
College football is a multi-million dollar business! Big jobs and big paychecks are at stake. In the SEC for example there are 7-8 $2MM+ per year coaches that are all expected to win the conference championship. It aint gonna happen and someone is going to get fired.

After 3 years this guy had his chance to be a contributor. He clearly is not via the depth chart and the scholarship limits mean that he is keeping the school from getting better. The only thing that really sucks is that I do not think he can transfer to another DI school that can use him without sitting a year.

The guy has talent or he would not have gone to begin with. He nneds to hook-up with a dII school and get his education as it appears the NFL is not in his future.

The "game" ends once you graduate High School. It is a business from then on.

nobogey72
03-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I'm sorry, how is this Bowden's responsibility?? I don't think I like the way this article is written! :thinking:

I agree that it is a very one-sided article. And, I don't think that it is Bowden's responsibility to care for those 2 boys. I DO think it was an OPPORTUNITY for him to show some class over and above the call of duty. My guess is that there are SOME D1 HCs that would have made a different decision, and in doing so would distinguish themselves from the majority. If 1 single scholarship could make or break a program or make a difference in the w-l column, then there are some quality of program issues already.
IMO. Having said all that, there may be other factors involved that the article did not have access to, or wanted to report. Who knows? That's all I have to say about that!

sahen
03-12-2008, 03:57 PM
this same situation happens to countless other people everyday except instead of a football scholarship it is a job...i feel bad for this kid just like i do anyone else that loses their job and cant provide for themselves or their family (and i hope it never happens to me) but i don't see how this is any different than that and we dont write stories about the employers who do this....

eppy 12
03-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by sahen
this same situation happens to countless other people everyday except instead of a football scholarship it is a job...i feel bad for this kid just like i do anyone else that loses their job and cant provide for themselves or their family (and i hope it never happens to me) but i don't see how this is any different than that and we dont write stories about the employers who do this.... you have a point in fact that this comes to light mainly because the press had a feel good story about him during bowl season...

eppy 12
03-12-2008, 04:01 PM
let's go back to mary ann, not as depressing:rolleyes:

nobogey72
03-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by sahen
this same situation happens to countless other people everyday except instead of a football scholarship it is a job...i feel bad for this kid just like i do anyone else that loses their job and cant provide for themselves or their family (and i hope it never happens to me) but i don't see how this is any different than that and we dont write stories about the employers who do this....

Very, very true.

rockdale80
03-12-2008, 06:33 PM
I thought they were called student athletes for a reason. If a young man signs that letter of intent and makes that commitment to a school(and is bound to it by NCAA guidelines) then the school should do the same. Atleast make them pay for one year after the scholarship is pulled; if the player leaves they sit for one season as punishment. I think it sends the wrong message when schools arent bound by the same rules as the players are.

PHS Wildcats
03-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
I thought they were called student athletes for a reason. If a young man signs that letter of intent and makes that commitment to a school(and is bound to it by NCAA guidelines) then the school should do the same. Atleast make them pay for one year after the scholarship is pulled; if the player leaves they sit for one season as punishment. I think it sends the wrong message when schools arent bound by the same rules as the players are.

I couldn't agree more!!!:clap:

lostaussie
03-12-2008, 08:29 PM
you know.................sometimes..............you make decisions because it's just the right thing to do. unfortunately Tommy B doesn't think like i do.

jimmyceatworld
03-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80

VERY TRUE

BleedOrange
03-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
College football is a multi-million dollar business! Big jobs and big paychecks are at stake. In the SEC for example there are 7-8 $2MM+ per year coaches that are all expected to win the conference championship. It aint gonna happen and someone is going to get fired.

After 3 years this guy had his chance to be a contributor. He clearly is not via the depth chart and the scholarship limits mean that he is keeping the school from getting better. The only thing that really sucks is that I do not think he can transfer to another DI school that can use him without sitting a year.

The guy has talent or he would not have gone to begin with. He nneds to hook-up with a dII school and get his education as it appears the NFL is not in his future.

The "game" ends once you graduate High School. It is a business from then on.

I am sure glad not everyone thinks like you. I would like to believe there is some people that will still take the moral high ground whether you consider it a business or not. Should this story turn out to be accurate Clemson and Bowden should be ashamed and the alumi should express themselves very loudly.

gatordaze
03-13-2008, 08:08 AM
I played in college in the 80's. It was a business then and it is now. I wish it was just a game that kids played but look at the $$$ and you will see that it is just not the case.

College football is a job. The pay sucks but like they say, do something that you enjoy and you will never work a day in your life. Football was the last job that I really enjoyed!

NastySlot
03-13-2008, 08:55 AM
true it is a business.....but how much would be loss by letting this kid keep his scholarship....he has done the right things and represents what you want to see in kids that come broken homes....that being a person that is trying to break the negative cycle that was his life..........business...so much that universities often keep good-big time players that are out breaking laws and rules....but get one-two-three game suspensions...........the university should step in and find other financial aid for this kid......it may be a business but sometimes people should do things that just seem to be right (we used to call it the christian thing to do)......all kinds of universities are now making it easier for kids from low economic situations to get into college and afford it.....Clemson probably has some sort of program that would help this guy out................wow the NCAA even helped this guy out.

LH810
03-13-2008, 09:04 AM

IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE YOUNGER BROTHER, MAYBE 3 PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF THE IMMEDIATE TEAM/COACHES/PLAYER WOULD HAVE EVEN HEARD ABOUT THIS.

you really annoy me :eek:

I_DONT_CARE
03-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by LH810
you really annoy me :eek:

GOOD!! YOU KNOW WHAT ANNOYS ME?? ALL THE BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL JUNK I'VE READ ON THIS THREAD.

HE HAS OTHER AVENUES TO EXPLORE. THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF GRANTS AVAILABLE HE COULD APPLY FOR, BUT I GUESS THAT WOULD REQUIRE TOO MUCH WORK ON HIS PART.

ALSO, HOW DO WE KNOW HE IS MR. SQUEAKY CLEAN? I'M NOT SAYING HE ISN'T, BUT HOW ARE YOU SO SURE HE IS?

YOU GUYS/GALS KILL ME! :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
03-13-2008, 09:10 AM
GOOD!! YOU KNOW WHAT ANNOYS ME?? ALL THE BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL JUNK I'VE READ ON THIS THREAD.

HE HAS OTHER AVENUES TO EXPLORE. THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF GRANTS AVAILABLE HE COULD APPLY FOR, BUT I GUESS THAT WOULD REQUIRE TOO MUCH WORK ON HIS PART.

ALSO, HOW DO WE KNOW HE IS MR. SQUEAKY CLEAN? I'M NOT SAYING HE ISN'T, BUT HOW ARE YOU SO SURE HE IS?

YOU GUYS/GALS KILL ME! :rolleyes: :doh: :doh:

NastySlot
03-13-2008, 09:44 AM

YOU GUYS/GALS KILL ME! :rolleyes:

your right we don't know he is squeaky clean....who is and what college student ever is..............but he isn't in the news for breaking rules or the law................and bowden I bet that apple didn't fall too far the tree(like the other bowden apples).