PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio to launch George Strait channel

Maroon87
03-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Associated Press

George Strait says he still gets a thrill hearing his songs on the radio, and now he'll have a whole channel of his music to get excited about.

"Strait Country" will launch April 1 on XM Radio channel 17 to coincide with the release of the country star's 37th album, "Troubadour," the satellite radio company announced Wednesday.

The station will run through May 31 and feature songs from Strait's catalog as well as exclusive interviews and programming about the star.

He joins Led Zeppelin and Michael Jackson as the only recording artists to have their own XM Radio channels.

"It's always a thrill to hear one of your songs played on the radio, but to have XM Radio dedicate an entire channel to my music is just amazing," Strait, a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame, said in a statement.

The singer's career spans more than 25 years and includes 55 No. 1 hits. His latest single, "I Saw God Today" is No. 8 on Billboard's country singles chart, and his duet with Kenny Chesney, "Shiftwork," is No. 4.

"George's tremendous achievements and body of work transcends musical genre and will make this channel a must-listen for all music fans across the country," said Eric Logan, executive vice president of programming for XM Radio.

pirate4state
03-12-2008, 10:27 AM
:(

STANG RED
03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Man I do love George, but too much of anything is too much. I like some variety in my music listening.

On second thought, I can think of one or two things you cant get too much of.:devil:

crzyjournalist03
03-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Man I do love George, but too much of anything is too much. I like some variety in my music listening.

On second thought, I can think of one or two things you cant get too much of.:devil:

fat and nudity?

Maroon87
03-12-2008, 10:42 AM

The channel is only gonna run from 4/1-5/31...it's a promotional tool for his new CD.

Like George needs any promotion to sell new music...

pirate4state
03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
The channel is only gonna run from 4/1-5/31...it's a promotional tool for his new CD.

Like George needs any promotion to sell new music...

Okay, I feel better now! :D

Bull Butter
03-12-2008, 10:58 AM
This is a channel I would definitely listen to. And like with any other channel, when I get tired of it, I would switch to another one.

JR2004
03-12-2008, 11:07 AM
I think it's pretty cool that he'll have his own channel for a few months. The only country CD's I have are two of his, the Bocephus Box released in the early 90's (high five to Hank Jr. for the song Texas women mentioning Lampasas) and a few southern gospel CD's that some of the older folks on the board would know like The Statler Brothers, Oak Ridge Boys etc...

lakers
03-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Sweet, I love KING GEORGE!!!!!!!

Antec
03-12-2008, 12:03 PM
His new CD- Troubadour comes out April 1

ILS1
03-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I believe Sirius used to have a Rolling Stones & an Elvis music only channel respectively.

:D :D

slingshot
03-12-2008, 01:28 PM
We saw George last Friday in concert at Lubbock... as my wife says "He's still got it." Whatever 'it' was--he was pretty good.

STANG RED
03-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I guess all this XM radio business is fine, but I just dont feel the need to spend another $12, or whatever it is, per month for something I can get for free anytime I want to. Heck I still even listen to a couple of AM stations occasionally, and just dont feel like I'm missing out on anything. Well maybe thats not quiet right, I do enjoy good talk radio which is becoming harder and harder to find, and I do understand there is some pretty good talk radio on XM. I guess I'm just a tight wad, but I just cant see spending another $12 per month for something I'd probably only use an hour per day at the most.

BuffyMars
03-12-2008, 01:36 PM
thank god i have sirius.

pirate4state
03-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
thank god i have sirius.
:tongue: boo!! :D

slingshot
03-12-2008, 01:52 PM
I guess all this XM radio business is fine, but I just dont feel the need to spend another $12, or whatever it is, per month for something I can get for free anytime I want to. Heck I still even listen to a couple of AM stations occasionally, and just dont feel like I'm missing out on anything. Well maybe thats not quiet right, I do enjoy good talk radio which is becoming harder and harder to find, and I do understand there is some pretty good talk radio on XM. I guess I'm just a tight wad, but I just cant see spending another $12 per month for something I'd probably only use an hour per day at the most. Funny, I normally would understand perfectly what you're saying and would normally would never have started with XM but it came for free for 3 months a few years ago when we bought a new truck... I got started and now it's all I listen to! Tons of commercial-free music choices, Fox News, CNN, Fox Sports, ESPN, etc, etc... makes it hard to listen to regular radio. The kicker is that you never lose your channel when you travel. I'm hooked.

Antec
03-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Clay Blaker wrote a few of his hits

He had a popular band 1970s-mid 90

Clay Blaker And Texas Honky Tonk Band

played a Gruene Hall, Broken Spoke

lot of HOuston venues

Diocletian
03-12-2008, 08:51 PM
I've had XM radio for 7 years since it came out... they always do this stuff

before it was the MJ chan, then Prince, then Willie Nelson, then Hank Williams, then XxxfillintheblankxxX

they were playing zep for a week strait once.. that was nice

last week they did Zappa for 2 days strait

Ranger Mom
03-12-2008, 10:17 PM
I guess all this XM radio business is fine, but I just dont feel the need to spend another $12, or whatever it is, per month for something I can get for free anytime I want to. Heck I still even listen to a couple of AM stations occasionally, and just dont feel like I'm missing out on anything. Well maybe thats not quiet right, I do enjoy good talk radio which is becoming harder and harder to find, and I do understand there is some pretty good talk radio on XM. I guess I'm just a tight wad, but I just cant see spending another $12 per month for something I'd probably only use an hour per day at the most.

I felt that way until last week and they took the one remaining classic rock station that Midland has off the air. My husband walked around like he had lost his best friend.

He is always jamming when he is in his "he-man woman hater's club", so I surprised him with XM for his truck AND a home kit for him....he is so happy, I can get anything I want out of him right now!!:D

So worth the $12.95 a month!!

STANG RED
03-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
Funny, I normally would understand perfectly what you're saying and would normally would never have started with XM but it came for free for 3 months a few years ago when we bought a new truck... I got started and now it's all I listen to! Tons of commercial-free music choices, Fox News, CNN, Fox Sports, ESPN, etc, etc... makes it hard to listen to regular radio. The kicker is that you never lose your channel when you travel. I'm hooked.

Thats what I'm afraid of. If I ever got it free for a while Im sure Id get hooked also, then there id be paying another monthly bill. Just seems like we're getting nickled and dimed to death from everywhere nowadays. I'd just rather not ever get started with it, so I dont know what I'm missing. I'll have my house and wifes car paid for in another 3 years. Maybe then I'll loosen up and break down and get it.

TexasHSFootball
03-12-2008, 11:22 PM
right now there is XM Thriller on XM 63 honoring Michael Jackson's Thriller album 25 years later.

Diocletian
03-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

So worth the $12.95 a month!!

slingshot
03-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Because it was $9.95/month when I started that is what I pay... indefinitely. :)