PDA

View Full Version : District 23-3A Softball

PutMeInCoach
03-12-2008, 10:02 AM
District starts Friday. Any predictions?

Reds fan
03-12-2008, 12:54 PM
A very interesting district again this year.

La Grange is off to a very good start in pre-season play with a 16-4 record.
Giddings is very strong also with a very potent batting lineup and returning almost everyone from last year.
Navasota which pushed Bellville to a playoff game for 3rd place in district last year returns great pitching once again, question marks are on offense as two key players do not return.
Bellville has had some injuries early this year but returns all but one player from last years team, putting together key hits at the right time will be the key for Bellville.
Caldwell lost a key player, Spittler, to graduation (now playing at TAMU) but are a hard playing group of young ladies.
Smithville has a group of young ladies that play hard every game.

The district is very balanced among LG, Giddings, Bellville and Navasota and the three playoff reps should come from these teams. The favorite to win district goes to Giddings IMO.

PutMeInCoach
03-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Right on the mark...you've done your research.

March 14th
Navasota @ Bellville
Giddings @ La Grange
Caldwell @ Smithville

My picks: Bellville, La Grange, Caldwell.

Bellville and Navasota will be a really good game...IMO.

buff4life
03-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by PutMeInCoach

March 14th
Navasota @ Bellville
Giddings @ La Grange
Caldwell @ Smithville

So a team that goes to the regional finals last year and loses NO ONE...AND won district last year and they're not even a favorite to make the playoffs, looks like you HAVEN'T done YOUR research lol ;)

Reds fan
03-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
So a team that goes to the regional finals last year and loses NO ONE...AND won district last year and they're not even a favorite to make the playoffs, looks like you HAVEN'T done YOUR research lol ;)

Agreed Buff4life, Giddings is the favorite!!!
But are you sure Giddings lost NO ONE...from last year???

Buffgal
03-13-2008, 11:01 AM
I'll answer for Buff4life.

Giddings lost two seniors from the softball team, Melcher & Gallier.
Melcher played some but Gallier was injured part of her junior year and all of her senior year. In fact, after district, during playoffs, both seniors were not even suited up, both dealing with knee injuries suffered in basketball. Great moral support for the team but did not contribute to the softball's team run in the playoffs.

So -----they lost no one. Giddings softball girls will be a force this year but will lose many top contributors to 2008 graduation.

NastySlot
03-13-2008, 11:08 AM

just wondering why can't that guy leave giddings off his list...it's his opinion not yours...did Giddings win the district with undefeated record..............didn't navasota beat them once?

Reds fan
03-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Buffgal
I'll answer for Buff4life.

Giddings lost two seniors from the softball team, Melcher & Gallier.
Melcher played some but Gallier was injured part of her junior year and all of her senior year. In fact, after district, during playoffs, both seniors were not even suited up, both dealing with knee injuries suffered in basketball. Great moral support for the team but did not contribute to the softball's team run in the playoffs.

So -----they lost no one. Giddings softball girls will be a force this year but will lose many top contributors to 2008 graduation.

Thanks Buffgal, thought Giddings had one girl move away, played third base and had a great bat.

Good luck Lady Buffs!

pirate4state
03-13-2008, 11:35 AM
So a team that goes to the regional finals last year and loses NO ONE...AND won district last year and they're not even a favorite to make the playoffs, looks like you HAVEN'T done YOUR research lol ;) Weird...I read it as those picks are his picks for the March 14th games :confused:

NastySlot
03-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Weird...I read it as those picks are his picks for the March 14th games :confused:

now that you say that............I think that is how it is written.

pirate4state
03-13-2008, 11:38 AM
oh well....buff4life is a little high strung when it comes to Giddings :D j/k :kiss:

Buffgal
03-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Yes Redfan, checked softball sources here, you are right. She would have been a senior this year. Good player. Not sure where she moved (hearing Rockdale, but not sure about this) but wouldn't have been able to play for Giddings her senior year anyway because of a discipline issue.

By my count, Giddings will lose at least 4 starters to graduation this year.

nette_mom
03-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Actually she moved to Willis and is only a Junior. She is playing first base for them. She still has a really strong bat, but much more under control. Her stick was always a big one against Bellville.

buff4life
03-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
just wondering why can't that guy leave giddings off his list...it's his opinion not yours...did Giddings win the district with undefeated record..............didn't navasota beat them once?

because if he would have done research he would have said it...he can have his opinion but i can have mine too...key word ONCE!!!....

i'm glad you had to post against Giddings just make yourself feel better

buff4life
03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
oh well....buff4life is a little high strung when it comes to Giddings :D j/k :kiss:

that pee4s

zebrablue2
03-13-2008, 05:32 PM
It is Giddings district to win. They are the heads and tails top dog this year. They have the talent to go as far as it will take them. A state championship is not out of the question. But we all know how tough region 3 is, and all of the other regions are not behind anymore. With that said, once the playoffs start, the team who makes the fewest mistakes wins it all, so work on that defense..

Reds fan
03-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by PutMeInCoach

March 14th
Navasota @ Bellville
Giddings @ La Grange
Caldwell @ Smithville

I have to go with Giddings over LG Friday even though it's in La Grange

PutMeInCoach
03-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Yes, if you look at my orginal post...its for the games on March 14th....see below!

March 14th
Navasota @ Bellville
Giddings @ La Grange
Caldwell @ Smithville

The only reason I picked LG over Giddings is because they split last year. Each team winning at their home field...and since they are playing in LG...I favor them.

Don't take things so personal...or at least read the posting...wait not read, but comprehend what is being written before you blow your top.

NastySlot
03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
because if he would have done research he would have said it...he can have his opinion but i can have mine too...key word ONCE!!!....

i'm glad you had to post against Giddings just make yourself feel better

just saw your reply....the key was once right...so wouldn't that give them a chance this season...they return their pitcher this season but from what I have read they are struggling at the plate to score runs...I think they lost to Bellville in extra innings 1-0.....and I posted only because I think I follow softball well enough to post and ask questions.....If you weren't from Giddings would still feel the same way or feel that the district is stout and that one good team is going to get left out...............I not from the area just follow softball around the state as much as I can...and as far as feeling good...thanks for showing your interest.....I probably felt good before the post....how about you?

buff4life
03-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
just saw your reply....the key was once right...so wouldn't that give them a chance this season...they return their pitcher this season but from what I have read they are struggling at the plate to score runs...I think they lost to Bellville in extra innings 1-0.....and I posted only because I think I follow softball well enough to post and ask questions.....If you weren't from Giddings would still feel the same way or feel that the district is stout and that one good team is going to get left out...............I not from the area just follow softball around the state as much as I can...and as far as feeling good...thanks for showing your interest.....I probably felt good before the post....how about you?

I'm an idiot lol...i don't know whats happening but yes the district is stout

NastySlot
03-19-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm an idiot lol...i don't know whats happening but yes the district is stout

easy...your not an idiot and I was trying to imply that.....imo district's title is up for graps.....but wouldn't you agree a good team is going to get left out?