PDA

View Full Version : Reveille VIII: A&M's Great Mascot Debate

Adidas410s
03-12-2008, 09:21 AM
A&M's great mascot debate
Committee to decide if Reveille VIII should be collie or mutt; students Speak their minds
By: Nick Badger
Posted: 3/6/08

Improving diversity has long been championed as Texas A&M University's vision for the future. With the retirement of the A&M mascot, Reveille VII, and her grand exit at the Corps of Cadets final review on May 10, the debate has been raging about whether diversity will be considered when selecting her replacement.

"I think Reveille VIII should be an American collie because it's tradition, and isn't that what A&M's all about?" freshman general studies major Emily Hudson said.

Many aren't so sure.

"Reveille should be a mutt. [Collies] are really spastic and hard to train. And mutts, since they have a mixture of all different genes, they tend to be a lot smarter," junior marketing major Kelley Baxter said.

Reveille I was a mutt, but because the previous five mascots have been American collies, there is concern that choosing any other breed of dog would be breaking tradition.

The A&M powers that have heard these opposing opinions and recognized that the decision will not be easy. A committee will be formed by the office of the vice president for student affairs to make the decision.

"We are forming a broad representative committee to make recommendations as to what factors should lead to the selection of the next mascot and how she will be used," said Dean Bresciani, vice president of student affairs. "The committee has not been formed yet, but I anticipate the invitation letters going out later this week."

Many people share Hudson's view and want a strict adherence to tradition, but a survey done by The Bryan-College Station Eagle said that a slight majority think that Reveille VIII should be a mutt.

Jenna Christopher, a sophomore molecular and cell biology major, is open to having a mutt instead of a purebred and is less worried about breaking tradition.

"I think mutts are smarter and tend to be healthier and plus, the first Reveille was a mutt," Christopher said.

Many suggest adopting from a pound in hopes of selecting a mascot in a way that would better represent the University's values.

"I think Reveille should be a mutt adopted from an animal shelter just because it would show Aggie compassion," said Brandon Honore, a sophomore political science major. "Our first dog was a mutt and it would be a cool thing to do. Collies aren't very manly; it's hard to talk about beating someone when you have a collie by your side."

Having a tough-looking mascot is another common thought. Some students believe that the mascot should be a shepherd, like Reveille II. This was the intention of the Student Senate when choosing Reveille II. According to Reveille: First Lady of Aggieland, the Student Senate wanted a German shepherd, but could not afford one. They ended up accepting the donated Shetland shepherd instead.

Where and how Reveille VIII will be chosen is frequently discussed. Many believe that she should be adopted from an animal shelter, but some students, such as sophomore political science major Jason Wagner, have bigger ideas.

"I think we should have a dog brought back from Iraq that has been in the war to show our patriotism, our school's spirit for our country and our tradition for [supporting] the beliefs of the United States of America," Wagner said.

Adidas410s
03-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Does nobody else find this slightly amusing???

jason
03-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Does nobody else find this slightly amusing??? i think the same thing about this as i do yellow cars

pirate4state
03-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Does nobody else find this slightly amusing??? I would say "no" due to the lack of response!

eppy 12
03-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Does nobody else find this slightly amusing??? http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/dogman2.jpg

I_DONT_CARE
03-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Does nobody else find this slightly amusing???
WHY WOULD IT BE AMUSING? :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
03-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by jason
i think the same thing about this as i do yellow cars :confused:

crzyjournalist03
03-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Why are they retiring the current one? Is it just because she's a bad dog? She's not that old at all...

Adidas410s
03-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
WHY WOULD IT BE AMUSING? :rolleyes:
Idk...what other school would debate which tradition is the "best tradition?" They have to form a committee to decide on which tradition to recommend what factors (ie tradition) to follow when making a new mascot selection. At any other school...when their dog, tiger, lion, buffalo, or longhorn "retires" and/or passes away...they go out and find a new one. They don't set up a committee to discuss the issue.

jason
03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
:confused:
Originally posted by jason
yellow cars are gay

Adidas410s
03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
nvm

LH Panther Mom
03-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Why are they retiring the current one? Is it just because she's a bad dog? She's not that old at all...
Didn't she get "in trouble" at some game and have to sit out the next one? Or am I confused?

pirate4state
03-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Didn't she get "in trouble" at some game and have to sit out the next one? Or am I confused? By "in trouble" do you mean in the family way?? :eek: :eek: How could that happen!!! LMAO :evillol:

Ranger Mom
03-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Geez....who cares?? The whole thing is silly!!

crzyjournalist03
03-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Didn't she get "in trouble" at some game and have to sit out the next one? Or am I confused?

according to wikipedia, she's been to obedience school several times and bit quite a few corps members.

JasperDog94
03-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
according to wikipedia, she's been to obedience school several times and bit quite a few corps members. So what's the problem?;)

lakers
03-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Aggies....:dispntd: :dispntd:
:p

STANG RED
03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I_DONT_CARE, HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO POST USING RANGER MOTHERS NAME AND IP ADDRESS???
SHE'S GOING TO BE MAD AS HELL WHEN SHE FINDS OUT!
BUT THEN I DONT GUESS YOU CARE ANYWAY. CARRY ON.:D

Panther One
03-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Well, most schools' mascots are live versions of their nickname, so when one passes, you simply replace it with another. A&M may be the only school to have a mascot unrelated to their nickname. The reason switching the mascot is a topic right now is because there have been problems with the Collies, both in health and behavior. Many show dogs bred for looks have health problems, and as mentioned, aren't always the most intelligent dogs due to the lack of genetic variation.

Personally, I don't think a mutt is the way to go. There's no telling what you're going to wind up with simply choosing a dog from the local shelter. If they decide to change breeds, my vote is for the State Dog of Texas; the Blue Lacy. If we're going to have a dog as our mascot, it might as well be a Texas breed.

http://lacydog.com/Default.aspx

eppy 12
03-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Well, most schools' mascots are live versions of their nickname, so when one passes, you simply replace it with another. A&M may be the only school to have a mascot unrelated to their nickname. The reason switching the mascot is a topic right now is because there have been problems with the Collies, both in health and behavior. Many show dogs bred for looks have health problems, and as mentioned, aren't always the most intelligent dogs due to the lack of genetic variation.

Personally, I don't think a mutt is the way to go. There's no telling what you're going to wind up with simply choosing a dog from the local shelter. If they decide to change breeds, my vote is for the State Dog of Texas; the Blue Lacy. If we're going to have a dog as our mascot, it might as well be a Texas breed.

http://lacydog.com/Default.aspx http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/drhusk.jpg

kepdawg
03-12-2008, 02:44 PM
They should use this dog! :D

http://eojrr1.homestead.com/files/listeater.jpg

I_DONT_CARE
03-12-2008, 02:55 PM
OH, RANGER MOTHER! I <3 YOU! :inlove:

Ranger Mom
03-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I_DONT_CARE, HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO POST USING RANGER MOTHERS NAME AND IP ADDRESS???
SHE'S GOING TO BE MAD AS HELL WHEN SHE FINDS OUT!
BUT THEN I DONT GUESS YOU CARE ANYWAY. CARRY ON.:D

Haha!! Unfortunately that was my own opinion!!

BobcatBenny
03-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
OH, RANGER MOTHER! I <3 YOU! :inlove:
Hey, Ranger Mother is quite a woman and less than threeing her would never satisfy her! I would suggest more than three. :eek:

eppy 12
03-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Hey, Ranger Mother is quite a woman and less than threeing her would never satisfy her! I would suggest more than three. :eek: http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/surprise.gif

Ranger Mom
03-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Hey, Ranger Mother is quite a woman and less than threeing her would never satisfy her! I would suggest more than three. :eek:

ROFL!! I had to reread that several times, and still didn't get it until I finally looked at what you quoted!!:doh:

eppy 12
03-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
They should use this dog! :D
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/Dogman.jpg

BobcatBenny
03-12-2008, 03:38 PM
ROFL!! I had to reread that several times, and still didn't get it until I finally looked at what you quoted!!:doh:
Blondes! :doh: