PDA

View Full Version : Ford or Chevy

KngKongInDTrunk
03-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Wanting to buy a big SUV. Expedition or Suburban? Notice a lot more used Expeditions. Anyone got a pref?

Adidas410s
03-11-2008, 10:39 AM
For that kind of money (assuming you're buying an LT or LTZ)...

Infiniti QX56

I rented for a few days last year in San Francisco. It didn't take long to convert me over from a life growing up in a Suburban (mom has had 5 different ones)

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/InfinitiQX56/Images/RightFront.jpg

44INAROW
03-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I have a friend with the Infinity QX56 and I think she's pleased with it for sure! I've had both, Suburbans and Expeditions and I like the ride of the Expedition 100% better. I better like it - I just spent $80 to fill the sucker :eek: We don't need the SUV size anymore and I'd like something smaller, but it's paid for so I'll just try to conserve gas and not drive as much :D

AP Panther Fan
03-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I have a friend with the Infinity QX56 and I think she's pleased with it for sure! I've had both, Suburbans and Expeditions and I like the ride of the Expedition 100% better. I better like it - I just spent $80 to fill the sucker :eek: We don't need the SUV size anymore and I'd like something smaller, but it's paid for so I'll just try to conserve gas and not drive as much :D

It's a good thing that I don't HAVE to buy a car right now, because I would downsize even further from the Explorer and probably abandon an SUV altogether...

I like not having payments as well.:)

Phil C
03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by KngKongInDTrunk
Wanting to buy a big SUV. Expedition or Suburban? Notice a lot more used Expeditions. Anyone got a pref?

I will only by chevrolets or ford (if a good deal) because it is easy to get those worked on when needed. I once had a Dodge Ram 150 pickup and when the timing chain broke I was told that you could only buy them from a dodge dealer and when I got there it was $175 before installation!! :eek:

That was almost twice as much as I was used to paying for one including installed costs. Needless to say I won't buy a dodge anymore.

SNYDER325TIGERS
03-11-2008, 02:35 PM
GM prducts are way BETTER!

Don't forget Toyota though, my grandpa owns a couple of '08 Tundras, they're really nice.

waterboy
03-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I always buy American. I've owned Fords, Chevrolets, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Mercurys, and probably a couple more kinds I can't think of. Fords have become my vehicle of choice. I own a '02 Explorer right now and have no complaints, except for those few times where I needed enough room for more than 5 adults, mostly during football season. It gets about 21 MPG with a 6-cylinder that has power to burn, and is fun to drive.

big daddy russ
03-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Suburbans are going to be a little bigger than your standard Expedition, but they make another Expedition (EL maybe? I can't remember) that's about the same size.

It all depends on what you want to do with it IMO. The GM's have more power, but the Ford is just fine, especially if you go with the big V8. If you're buying used, look at the Expeditions. The Suburbans and Tahoes hold their value better, so you can get a great deal on an Expedition.

Don't buy used if you're looking for something that's only a year or two old with low mileage, though. That old "buy a used car" bit isn't necessarily true anymore. If you wait until the end-of-summer rebates, you can buy a brand new car cheaper than a used one. I bought my truck brand new and I've never been upside down on it. I also financed it for 60 months and only put $1,000 down. Sticker price was $21,720, I paid about $13,900 for it (including tax, title, and license) out the door.

Consumer Reports rates the Expedition slightly better, though. They predict (key word being predict) that it'll be more reliable than the Suburban, but the Suburban has higher customer satisfaction.

I'm partial to GM's because they tend to ride smoother than most other brands and have a little more giddyup than Fords, but I have several friends who own Expeditions and are extremely happy with them. They're great cars with plenty of room.

The best thing to do is to go drive both and see which one you like better. Both have great reliability history, especially the '07 models, so you'll be good with either one.

ILS1
03-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
For that kind of money (assuming you're buying an LT or LTZ)...

Infiniti QX56

I rented for a few days last year in San Francisco. It didn't take long to convert me over from a life growing up in a Suburban (mom has had 5 different ones)

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/InfinitiQX56/Images/RightFront.jpg

Or you could buy the Infiniti's QX56 cousin:

A Nissan Armada!!!

:D :D :D