PDA

View Full Version : Star Spangled Banner as it should be sung

bobcat1
03-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Campus Cuties (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284) Enjoy!

Adidas410s
03-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Is this the video of the little girls in Lubbock? I think the name is Cactus Cuties! ;)

Ranger Mom
03-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Is this the video of the little girls in Lubbock? I think the name is Cactus Cuties! ;)

Is is Cactus Cuties...that sent chills down my spine!!

"Campus" cuties...ROFL!! We know where Bobcat 1 mind is at!!:D

DISCLAIMER: I am not referring to the little girls when I say that either!!

pirate4state
03-11-2008, 09:17 AM
:clap: :clap:

Very nice

Adidas410s
03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Over 2 million hits!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/031108/loc_255728882.shtml

Thousands of people are logging on to hear Lubbock's Cactus Cuties
By William Kerns | A-J ENTERTAINMENT EDITOR

Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Story last updated at 3/11/2008 - 3:10 am

All that Ty Cooke, 62, wanted to do was make it easier for his family and friends to see and hear his 8-year-old granddaughter, Madeline, sing with Lubbock's Cactus Cuties.

He certainly never expected that two million others also would check them out.

On Feb. 2, Cooke posted his own - admittedly nonprofessional - video of the girls performing the "Star Spangled Banner" on the YouTube.

Since then, individuals and organizations from across the country have tried to locate or book Baylee Barrett, 13; Blaire Elbert, 11; Andi Kitten, 11; Tatum Lowe, 11; and Madeline Powell, 8 - known collectively as the Cactus Cuties.

Since Feb. 2, the video on the Web site has been watched more than two million times.

More than 1,000 people have left complimentary comments at the same site.

Several American soldiers stationed overseas also complimented the performance.

Cami Caldwell, 26, the group's artistic director and co-manager, said inquiries have arrived from Reebok and representatives of the Atlanta Braves, Arizona Diamondbacks, Houston Rockets and San Antonio Spurs.

The Cuties also have been asked to sing for "a military event in California," and there have been inquiries from several veterans' organizations and a number of political candidates, Caldwell said.

Those asking if the group is under contract are being informed that offers are still being weighed, she said.

The Cactus Cuties are working on an independent record production deal with award-winning producer Clif Magness in Los Angeles.

"But we're open to listening to companies' ideas for the girls," Caldwell said.

Construction of a Web site for the Cactus Cuties began Monday at thecactuscuties.com.

Many have requested a recording of the Cuties singing the "Star Spangled Banner."

Caldwell said, "We just recorded it this weekend, and we are in the process of putting it up on (the Internet site) iTunes. It should be available sometime this week.

"People can just go to iTunes.com and punch in Cactus Cuties to find it."

The present YouTube video captures the very first time that the group had performed the "Star Spangled Banner" together, although some members had sung it solo before.

With a range of one-and-a-half octaves, the national anthem has a reputation of being difficult to sing.

Terri Caldwell arranged the "Star Spangled Banner" for the Cactus Cuties, saying, "I wanted to create an arrangement that would be unique, interesting to the ear and complimentary to their voices.

"Cami and I worked out the parts in about an hour, and then the girls worked for the next few weeks to perfect it."

Cami Caldwell formed the first Cactus Cuties singing group in 2001; none of the present singers were involved back then. The current ensemble was formed four years ago and has been trained by Caldwell.

The Cactus Cuties performed for television networks during a visit to Los Angeles during the summer of 2007, and were asked to make a guest appearance during the closing credits for "Cory in the House," a Disney Channel program.

That program will air in Lubbock at 10:30 p.m. April 19; it also will be shown on a screen at the Cactus Theater following a Cactus Cuties concert scheduled to begin at 9 p.m.

Cami Caldwell said, "Any video that hits the one million mark on YouTube attracts major attention from the entertainment business.

"For example, Esmee Denters was signed to Justin Timberlake's label (Tennman Records) after her video on YouTube got three million hits.

"She's from the Netherlands, and was discovered only because of YouTube."

Caldwell said that she has devoted hours to reading comments left about the video.

She said, "A lot of people said they were in tears; they wrote about how the performance touched or moved them, how it inspired patriotism. Others want to know about the arrangement, and of course a lot of people want a CD."

"In addition, we have heard from record labels, distribution companies and many who want booking information."

To comment on this story:

william.kerns@lubbockonline.com 766-8712

shelly.gonzales@lubbockonline.com 766-8747

STANG RED
03-11-2008, 01:08 PM
This is the only rendition I have ever heard that rivals Whitney Houston performance at the Super Bowl several years back. In fact I think I like this one even better. What an amazing group of sweet young ladies!
Now I have to make a trip up to the Cactus Theater some day. I've heard about it for years, but never realized the level of talent I have been missing out on all this time.

eppy 12
03-11-2008, 01:13 PM
WONDERFUL! now to the other extreme

How old is Grandma???

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.

The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandma replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

' television

' penicillin

' polio shots

' frozen foods

' Xerox

' contact lenses

' Frisbees and

' the pill

There were no:

' radars

' credit cards

' laser beams

' ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

' pantyhose

' air conditioners

' dishwashers

' clothes dryers

' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandfather and I got married first and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."

We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . . but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

' "grass" was mowed,

' "coke" was a cold drink,

' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and

' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

' "Aides" were helpers in the Principal's office,

' "chip" meant a piece of wood,

' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and

' "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old lady in mind...you are in for a shock!

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.

This Woman would be only 58 years old!

trg
03-11-2008, 04:08 PM
WOWOWOWOWOW. Gave me chills.

bobcat1
03-11-2008, 10:16 PM
I guess I screwed that up. Oh well the song was the best! Campus Cuties LMAO! Too early in the morning!

slingshot
03-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Love that...