PDA

View Full Version : Old Texas Gymnasiums Project

duckpluck
03-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Take a look at my project. I am starting a project of documenting old Texas Gyms with photos, information, and stories.

I hope you will take a look and help out if you can.

www.texasgyms.net

DU_stud04
03-10-2008, 02:33 PM
check out Texas hall in Arlington..... pretty unique.

duckpluck
03-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Is it at a school?

DU_stud04
03-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by duckpluck
Is it at a school? UT arlington. named "The Best Place in America to Watch College Basketball" by Sports Illustrated in 1997

here is a description of "the stage"

Imagine rock concert meets run-n-gun offense. The other side of the court is for the fan who wants to be close up to the event. With seats just a few feet from the court, fans in the bleacher area are right on top of the action. Texas Hall is also equipped with one of the best sound and lighting systems around.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2988519&type=story

Adidas410s
03-10-2008, 03:03 PM
the gyms at both Abilene High and Cooper are pretty old. I really like the setup of AHigh's gym. I remember going to watch Andre Patterson when he played for Cooper...those were some fun games. Unfortunately...there isn't a lot of history tied to the gyms as far as winning programs that I'm aware of.

bwdlionfan
03-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
UT arlington. named "The Best Place in America to Watch College Basketball" by Sports Illustrated in 1997

here is a description of "the stage"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2988519&type=story

I've seen a few games in there being that I graduated from UTA in 06. It is without a doubt a unique place to watch a basketball game. I'm sure you could go to www.uta.edu and find pictures of it for your site, just e-mail the school for permission to use the pics.

kepdawg
03-10-2008, 07:55 PM
You may consider looking at Jasper Junior High's old gym. I have no idea how old it is, but it's definitely not new!

Antec
03-10-2008, 08:04 PM
East Bernard's old gym is attached to the High School

They still have a jr high one and new high school they built two years ago

The old one is pretty unique

Van Vleck's is pretty old

There is old black school gym located near El Maton down the road from Tidehaven High School

Sealy has an old one the had at old campus

Dont know if the old one in Brazos is still up

Garwood also had a old one dont know if its sill in existence

Antec
03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Forgot about the one in Ganado

HippoBaseball05
03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Hutto actually has two old gyms at the old campus. One of them was constructed as a half-court gym when the original school was built. The other one is the one I used to play in when I was a kid.

It has an airplane hangar style roof and wooden bleachers on one side of the court. The sidelines have MAYBE 3 feet of out of bounds area between the court and the wall and the bleachers.

As far as the Mont Belvieu gym goes, are you talking about the one at the old school that was shut down and relocated? If so, that school building has been bought and is now a RV park. They use the locker rooms for public showers.

ToroChingon
03-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Ferris has an ancient one at the current Jr High. It wont be there much longer. Also in Forney there is the old Booker T Washington Gym, that was Southern Automotive's assembly point for starters and alternators, right on the old hardwood. it is still in use as a residence I think.

Fort Davis has one of the old matchbox gyms with 2 boundry lines, one solid and one dashed lines for inbounding.

j_dog
03-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
You may consider looking at Jasper Junior High's old gym. I have no idea how old it is, but it's definitely not new!
it was old 60 years ago. :D

BobcatBenny
03-10-2008, 09:59 PM
If only you could capture the wonderful smell of those old gyms somehow. :D

Antec
03-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Musty

mwynn05
03-10-2008, 11:28 PM
check out Dogan gym in Fairfield, it is currently the Alternative campus for Freestone Country for sure and possibly Navarro county also..its pretty old it was the "black school" during segregation in Fairfield

jimmyceatworld
03-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
check out Dogan gym in Fairfield, it is currently the Alternative campus for Freestone Country for sure and possibly Navarro county also..its pretty old it was the "black school" during segregation in Fairfield

While there was still the now defunct Fairfield Christian Academy they moved into the Dogan and used the old gym. They were the Warriors I believe (purple and gold were their school colors I think). I know this because my oldest bro went there and my dad was the disciplinarian lol.

I think the Dogan is still used for by Little Dribblers or at least it was when I played way back when (aka not too long ago)

BobcatBenny
03-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Not really that old in its current location, but Lubbock Christian University has an old gymnasium that used to be a B-29 hanger in New Mexico. Sold to LCU as governement surplus and moved to Lubbock and re-assembled as the Chapa-dome.

The story is that it was the hanger where the first atom bomb was built in the 1940's. I do not know if it is true, but fun story.

Also it contains an old indoor track, that is a favorite for qualifying for indoor nationals on. It is really a large indoor track.

duckpluck
03-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

HEMOTOXIC
03-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Good Stuff!

Black_Magic
03-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Snyder Has one gym that is Old. Its Travis Gym. It was built in 1932 by the WPA... Its still in use for some Jr high and used by both Boys and Girls Little Dribblers. I wish I had a picture to post. its mad of rock and mortar

I_DONT_CARE
03-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Snyder Has one gym that is Old. Its Travis Gym. It was built in 1932 by the WPA... Its still in use for some Jr high and used by both Boys and Girls Little Dribblers. I wish I had a picture to post. its mad of rock and mortar
AREN'T YOU THE SAME GUY THAT TAKES EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO LAMBAST ANOTHER TOWN FOR A WPA PROJECT? :rolleyes:

DaHop72
03-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
AREN'T YOU THE SAME GUY THAT TAKES EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO LAMBAST ANOTHER TOWN FOR A WPA PROJECT? :rolleyes: Dang, it must be true that your board has gotten slow.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SNYDER325TIGERS
03-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
AREN'T YOU THE SAME GUY THAT TAKES EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO LAMBAST ANOTHER TOWN FOR A WPA PROJECT? :rolleyes:

DUDE!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: