PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs and Lakers today...

JR2004
03-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Both lost games to vastly inferior opponents. One blows it with a horrible first half and the other blows it with an inexcusable 4th quarter meltdown. Watching both teams today it just seems that they only get up for the really good teams and they play down to the level of the mediocre ones and let them hang around when they shouldn't.

At least we have an easy go of it for most of the home stretch and will still finish with the 1st seed. Scorched earth is going to be in a deathmatch it seems just to win their division.

Bull's-eye
03-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Lakers schedule starting to get tough. Starting thursday, LA must play at NO, at Houston, at Dallas & at Utah. The game with Houston could be for first place.

JR2004
03-09-2008, 11:30 PM
One good team in the group and three that are going nowhere in the playoffs.

Bull's-eye
03-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
One good team in the group and three that are going nowhere in the playoffs.

Utah (28-3) & Dallas (26-4) are almost unbeatable at home and Houston is the hottest team in the NBA. NO's Chris Paul has been on fire, so the Lakers will definately have their hands full. Lakers probably just hoping for a split of those 4 games.

JR2004
03-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Not worried. Utah is the only one of the group that will provide a challenge in the playoffs other than Los Spurs. They're the only one of the three that goes inside/out. The other three teams on the road trip are just bracket filler.

2-2 is fine with me. They just have it on cruise control (which I don't like, but oh well) right now waiting for the playoffs to start just like Scorched Earth down to the south.

Bull's-eye
03-10-2008, 12:19 AM
2-2 is fine with me. They just have it on cruise control (which I don't like, but oh well) right now waiting for the playoffs to start just like Scorched Earth down to the south.

Could be more like 1-3 or 0-4, dropping the Lakers down to a 3 or 4 seed. With 4-1/2 games separating the 1st seed and 8th seed, not a good time to be on cruise control.

JR2004
03-10-2008, 01:06 AM
When you only have to worry about 2 teams in the playoffs it doesn't matter what you do up to that point. We can go 0-4 and lose each game by 20 and have DJ Mbenga and Coby Karl be our leading scorers in every game and I wouldn't worry anymore than a Scorched earth fan would worry if the same thing happened to them and they had Jacque Vaughn and the Red Rocket lead them in scoring four games in a row.

Only Utah has any chance out of the four of doing anything in the playoffs. That's just the way it is. A general rule of thumb for three of the teams on the trip is don't worry about Allas because they'll always come up short when it matters most (20 years ago this year Mavs fans is what started your curse). Teams led by undersized guards like Nawlins don't win titles very often. I'm pleased to see a former Laker great doing well in Nawlins as the head coach, but he's never going to get a title there. It just won't happen.

Teams led by Rick Adelman are always destined to come up short. Adelman will forever be the bridesmaid and never the bride so to speak. History has shown what Adelman coached teams do in pressure situations over the years. It's why no Laker fan (or Spurs fan or Detroit fan back in the day) who has watched his teams over the years worries about Houston even with this current winning streak. All he'll do is get the hopes of a fanbase up only to see them come crashing down to earth when the games actually count. I'll give credit where it's due with him. He's a great regular season coach, no doubt about it. Rockets fans will eventually find this out just like Portland and Sacramento fans found out. Houston fans can call that hating, (believe me if I wanted to just take some more jabs I would do that like I've done here several times to fire folks up.) but it's just the reality of the situation. You could've made Adelman the head coach of the 92 Dream Team and he would've found a way to blow it. It's just what he does.

The last two years we were bracket filler garbage (We had no business being in the playoffs last season and would've been beaten by every team in last year's Western playoffs. We were ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.), but those days are over and order has been restored thanks to Memphis GM Chris Wallace (and to a lesser extent Orlando GM Otis Smith for handing us Trevor Ariza.). LA and the Leprechauns are both back where they belong and that's good for a league struggling as a whole.

I_DONT_CARE
03-10-2008, 01:17 AM
When you only have to worry about 2 teams in the playoffs it doesn't matter what you do up to that point. We can go 0-4 and lose each game by 20 and have DJ Mbenga and Coby Karl be our leading scorers in every game and I wouldn't worry anymore than a Scorched earth fan would worry if the same thing happened to them and they had Jacque Vaughn and the Red Rocket lead them in scoring four games in a row.

Only Utah has any chance out of the four of doing anything in the playoffs. That's just the way it is. A general rule of thumb for three of the teams on the trip is don't worry about Allas because they'll always come up short when it matters most (20 years ago this year Mavs fans is what started your curse). Teams led by undersized guards like Nawlins don't win titles very often. I'm pleased to see a former Laker great doing well in Nawlins as the head coach, but he's never going to get a title there. It just won't happen.

Teams led by Rick Adelman are always destined to come up short. Adelman will forever be the bridesmaid and never the bride so to speak. History has shown what Adelman coached teams do in pressure situations over the years. It's why no Laker fan (or Spurs fan or Detroit fan back in the day) who has watched his teams over the years worries about Houston even with this current winning streak. All he'll do is get the hopes of a fanbase up only to see them come crashing down to earth when the games actually count. I'll give credit where it's due with him. He's a great regular season coach, no doubt about it. Rockets fans will eventually find this out just like Portland and Sacramento fans found out. Houston fans can call that hating, (believe me if I wanted to just take some more jabs I would do that like I've done here several times to fire folks up.) but it's just the reality of the situation. You could've made Adelman the head coach of the 92 Dream Team and he would've found a way to blow it. It's just what he does.

The last two years we were bracket filler garbage (We had no business being in the playoffs last season and would've been beaten by every team in last year's Western playoffs. We were ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.), but those days are over and order has been restored thanks to Memphis GM Chris Wallace (and to a lesser extent Orlando GM Otis Smith for handing us Trevor Ariza.). LA and the Leprechauns are both back where they belong and that's good for a league struggling as a whole.

REALLY??? MUST BE A SLOW NIGHT. :rolleyes: I CAN'T BELIEVE I CLICKED ON THIS TOPIC.

JR2004
03-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
REALLY??? MUST BE A SLOW NIGHT. :rolleyes: I CAN'T BELIEVE I CLICKED ON THIS TOPIC.

Hi who are you?

I_DONT_CARE
03-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Hi who are you?

I'M YOUR RESIDENT A-HOLE. EVERYBODY LIKES TO GANG UP ON ME BECAUSE I UPSET THE 'NICEY-NICEY' CRAP THAT GOES ON HERE. LET'S JUST PAT EACH OTHER ON THE BACK & SAY 'GOOD JOB' :rolleyes: BORING!

JR2004
03-10-2008, 01:26 AM
I'M YOUR RESIDENT A-HOLE. EVERYBODY LIKES TO GANG UP ON ME BECAUSE I UPSET THE 'NICEY-NICEY' CRAP THAT GOES ON HERE. LET'S JUST PAT EACH OTHER ON THE BACK & SAY 'GOOD JOB' :rolleyes: BORING!

Okay so you like stirring people up. Nothing wrong with that I would think.

I_DONT_CARE
03-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Okay so you like stirring people up. Nothing wrong with that I would think. YOU WOULD THINK, BUT SOME FOLKS AROUND HERE ARE WOUND UP TOO TIGHT.

Fal44
03-10-2008, 01:42 AM

ehh I think your actually alright, nice to have a new member with a little I dont care attitude... One thing you should care about, is not going over board and getting banned...

I_DONT_CARE
03-10-2008, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Fal44
ehh I think your actually alright, nice to have a new member with a little I dont care attitude... One thing you should care about, is not going over board and getting banned... THANKS DUDE. NOT THAT I CARE OR ANYTHING. ;)

Fal44
03-10-2008, 01:46 AM
Your welcome for nothing..:D

Bull's-eye
03-10-2008, 11:52 AM
JR, don't flatter yourself by mentioning your Lakers with the Spurs. San Antonio has proven they can dominate in the playoffs, no matter what place they finish in the regular season. They basically have the same team & coach, so we all know they are very capable of winning another ring. The Lakers have added Gasol, but that doesn't prove how the Lakers will do in the playoffs. In fact, the Lakers have played a very soft schedule since the trade, even losing to some non-playoff teams. IMO, the upcoming games against the better teams will show us if the Lakers have what it takes.

JR2004
03-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
JR, don't flatter yourself by mentioning your Lakers with the Spurs. San Antonio has proven they can dominate in the playoffs, no matter what place they finish in the regular season. They basically have the same team & coach, so we all know they are very capable of winning another ring. The Lakers have added Gasol, but that doesn't prove how the Lakers will do in the playoffs. In fact, the Lakers have played a very soft schedule since the trade, even losing to some non-playoff teams. IMO, the upcoming games against the better teams will show us if the Lakers have what it takes.

LOL at that whole thing.

Bull's-eye
03-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Here are the Laker's opponents since the Gasol trade:

Phoenix .651 (First game for Shaq with Phx struggling to adjust)
Dallas .635 (Mavs struggle shooting, game goes to OT.)
Orlando .625
Portland .524 (No Brandon Roy)
Portland .524 (LOSS)
---------------------
Sacramento .444
Sacramento .444 (LOSS)
Atlanta .419
Atlanta .419 (LOSS)
New Jersey .413
Charlotte .381
Clippers .328
Clippers .328
Seattle .254
Minnesota .226
Miami .180
Miami .180

As you can see, not a very tough schedule. Only quality wins are Dallas & Orlando.

JR2004
03-10-2008, 04:52 PM
LOL...This is too funny.

Phil C
03-10-2008, 04:55 PM

Be careful though. You might get ROMed.

Phil C
03-10-2008, 04:56 PM
YOU WOULD THINK, BUT SOME FOLKS AROUND HERE ARE WOUND UP TOO TIGHT.

Remember it is ususally wise TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT.

I_DONT_CARE
03-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Remember it is ususally wise TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT.
IN CASE YOU DIDN'T NOTICE, I DON'T CARE TOO MUCH ABOUT BEING POLITICALLY CORRECT. :D

JR2004
03-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Be careful though. You might get ROMed.

Well I would think as long as he doesn't get into name-calling in any thread he'd be okay.

Bull's-eye
03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
LOL...This is too funny.

Why would this be funny? Easy to see that 75% of those games are against sub .500 teams.

Emerson1
03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Why would this be funny? Easy to see that 75% of those games are against sub .500 teams.
This logic only applies to the rockets streak, duh

Bull's-eye
03-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
This logic only applies to the rockets streak, duh

We were talking about the Laker's record after trading for Gasol, duh. I wouldn't put the Lakers in the same class as the Spurs after seeing that schedule.

JR2004
03-10-2008, 11:48 PM
We were talking about the Laker's record after trading for Gasol, duh. I wouldn't put the Lakers in the same class as the Spurs after seeing that schedule.

LOL...After a long trip back home it's good to walk in and get something even funnier and more humorous than the stuff from earlier!

Bull's-eye
03-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Rockets-Lakers game moved up to 2:30 pm this coming Sunday. The Lakers don't like early starts! :D

JR2004
03-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Early or late it doesn't matter. A game like this means something to the team and coach who is trying to prove something. Although this game won't prove anything either way, it'll give the Rockets a good deal of false confidence should they win. I believe the Rockets will win this matchup because Adelman has always excelled at winning regular season games and not the ones that actually matter. Rocket fans will find that out about him soon enough.

The only game I cared about since Bynum went down was the Phoenix game and that was just because of who was playing their first game with the Suns. Don't really even care about the score of the Houston game or any other game for that matter until the playoffs start and we have our full compliment back.