PDA

View Full Version : DLP vs. Plasma vs. LCD?

PHS Wildcats
03-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm looking to buy 2 TVs for my home and I wanted some of your opinions about which one I should get. I want a 50" in the living room and a 37" to 42" in my bedroom. I really leaning towards DLP. Yes, I do have Directv.

Emerson1
03-09-2008, 10:09 PM
I have a DLP, it's the cheapest in price(not quality though) of the 3. You can get a 50" DLP for $1300, a $1300 LCD or Plasma will only get you like 37".

Plasma and LCD you can mount on the wall, DLPs are deeper in the back so you can't really.

They are make DLPs in either 42" and up or 46" and up I think.

I say go DLP, use the extra money to get a really really good surround sound system. Don't get a home theater in a box though, they suck. Get the receiver, speakers and sub separate. You want your entire house shaking like an earth quake, not barely shaking like a good fart a leather couch.

Wait for TMer25 to post before you do anything.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
03-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
I'm looking to buy 2 TVs for my home and I wanted some of your opinions about which one I should get. I want a 50" in the living room and a 37" to 42" in my bedroom. I really leaning towards DLP. Yes, I do have Directv.

I also am going to by 2 new, havent decided on plasma or LCD, to many decisions. I what to put a 50 inch in the living room and just as big in the game room. Anyone with info on this will be greatly appreciated. Let us know what TV has worked for you.

SintonFan_inAustin
03-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I have a DLP, it's the cheapest in price(not quality though) of the 3. You can get a 50" DLP for $1300, a $1300 LCD or Plasma will only get you like 37".

Plasma and LCD you can mount on the wall, DLPs are deeper in the back so you can't really.

They are make DLPs in either 42" and up or 46" and up I think.

I say go DLP, use the extra money to get a really really good surround sound system. Don't get a home theater in a box though, they suck.

Wait for TMer25 to post before you do anything. DLP

DU_stud04
03-09-2008, 10:32 PM
tiny mirrors

Emerson1
03-09-2008, 10:35 PM
http://www.duncans.tv/images/Texas-Instruments-Believe.jpg

Adidas410s
03-10-2008, 07:12 AM
There's a lot to consider.
- How far away are you sitting?
- At what angle(s) will the tv be viewed from?
- What will you primarily be watching? (ie - sports, movies, games, regular tv shows)

These things can impact your decision.

- You might want a 50" TV...but if you're only 6 1/2 to 7 ft away from the TV...then a 50" is too much and you should consider a 42" instead. The reason it's too much is that you aren't getting the same view on a 50" at 7 ft that you are at 10 ft. Yes you can watch it that close...but the benefit isn't as good as it would be if you were at 10 ft. On the other hand, a 42" is best in the 6-8.5 ft viewing range.
- Some TV's have better viewing angles than others. LCD's get up to 178* viewing angles. You won't get near as good of an angle with a DLP.
- For watching sports/playing games...a plasma is a very good option. The picture is "processed" fast enough that you don't experience the lag/blur/delay that you can find in an LCD. The difference isn't as big as it was a year ago...but this can still be somewhat of an issue on LCD.

As others have said...just wait for TMer to answer. However, I would answer the above questions and it makes his part easier! ;)

Rocket
03-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I have a Sony 55" Rear Projection SXRD and the picture in HD is nuts. I love it. My dad got one not too long ago and it is the same with a different service. I have DirecTv and he has Harris Broadband, same excellent picture. I believe you can get one of these for around $1500. Excellent value for the price.

Macarthur
03-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I have a plasma so I'm a big plasma fan. As for performance, (color, blur, blacks, etc.) plasma is superior. LCD has closed the gap somewhat, but plasma is still the leader.

As for the cost, keep in mind that for DLP, if the bulb burns out, it will cost you a couple hundred dollars to replace. Over the course of 10-15 years, DLP cost may approach the others if you have to replace a couple of bulbs.

sahen
03-10-2008, 11:46 AM
i have an LCD...i watch sports and play games on it and never have noticed any blur problem whatsoever....so im thinkin the blur issue is somethign in the past or my eyes suck, who knows...only problem i ever have w/ my LCD is when I watch really dark scenes, the tv is made to get brighter when the dark scenes come on and then go back to normal when the scenes get lighter (kinda like a light comes on when the dark scenes are on so u can se eit better)...this would be fine except when its a black background (or night time) the thing keeps getting dark and then light and dark and light with any little light source on the screen, its almost like they calibrated it wrong and its overly sensitive...its kinda annoying but i have learned to deal with it...other than that i havent noticed any of the other problems people say LCDs have....

Macarthur
03-10-2008, 12:14 PM
That's what I was refering to about blacks. Neither really can produce the true color spectrum that plasma can produce. Blacks are truly black; not gray.

TMer25
03-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Definitely need to know:

How far away from the screen will you be?
How much ambient light in the room?
Will you watch alot of sports?

Basically everything Adidas asked lol.

TMer25
03-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
I have a Sony 55" Rear Projection SXRD and the picture in HD is nuts. I love it. My dad got one not too long ago and it is the same with a different service. I have DirecTv and he has Harris Broadband, same excellent picture. I believe you can get one of these for around $1500. Excellent value for the price.

Love the SXRD rear projection sets but Sony has discontinued them to exclusively go with flat panel LCD and SXRD front projection. They haven't decided how long they will continue to produce replacement bulbs for the rear projection sets at this time.

mistanice
03-10-2008, 01:46 PM
just wait and see if Sony comes out with their new OLED.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/10/sony-xel-1-hands-on-02.jpg

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/04/9mm%20Sony.jpg

TMer25
03-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
just wait and see if Sony comes out with their new OLED.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/10/sony-xel-1-hands-on-02.jpg

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/04/9mm%20Sony.jpg

They have. It retails for $2200 for an 11 inch screen. Toshiba is expected to be the first to market with an OLED over 30 inches.

Emerson1
03-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Or wait for the 100" screen

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/03/100inchlcd.jpg

Emerson1
03-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

As for the cost, keep in mind that for DLP, if the bulb burns out, it will cost you a couple hundred dollars to replace. Over the course of 10-15 years, DLP cost may approach the others if you have to replace a couple of bulbs.
A warranty would cover that cost, and getting a $1500 TV I would spend the extra on a warranty.

LCD and Plasma have around the same life expectancy, so within at least 5 years for any of them you will be replacing something.

Macarthur
03-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I understand but my point is by the time you spend a couple hundred on a warranty to cover the bulbs, you've spent as much as a plasma.

bwdlionfan
03-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc and look at the open boxes. I bought a 42 inch Phillips Plasma about a year ago for $1,200 from Best Buy. Plus it came with a $300 gift card to Best Buy, which I turned around and used to purchase the 3 year warranty on the TV plus had enough left over to cover most of a new home theater system that went with the TV.

JasperDog94
03-10-2008, 04:28 PM
One of these days I'm going to get a large, flat-screen TV. But not until grad school is done.:(

Adidas410s
03-10-2008, 04:36 PM
LCD and Plasma have around the same life expectancy, so within at least 5 years for any of them you will be replacing something.

That's far from true now. Consider this TV (the one that I own):

http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv%7Caudio%7Cvideo_plasma%20flat%20panel__42PC5D__ null.jhtml

The half life is 60,000 hours. If I have my TV on for 4 hours/day it would take over 41 years for me to reach the TV's half life. If my TV was on 24 hours/day...it would still take just under 7 years to reach it's half life. The life expectancy of an LCD or Plasma is no longer the issue that it was 3 years ago.

bwdlionfan
03-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
That's far from true now. Consider this TV (the one that I own):

http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv%7Caudio%7Cvideo_plasma%20flat%20panel__42PC5D__ null.jhtml

The half life is 60,000 hours. If I have my TV on for 4 hours/day it would take over 41 years for me to reach the TV's half life. If my TV was on 24 hours/day...it would still take just under 7 years to reach it's half life. The life expectancy of an LCD or Plasma is no longer the issue that it was 3 years ago.

Adidas, where could I find the halflife of my plasma? It's a 42 inch Phillips, model # 42PF9631D/37

Adidas410s
03-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Adidas, where could I find the halflife of my plasma? It's a 42 inch Phillips, model # 42PF9631D/37
I looked around and can't find anything listed for your 42" but the 50" equivalent of your model is listed as having 60,000 hours so it's safe to assume that you have the same as the components should be close to the same.

Adidas410s
03-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Here's a neat graphic breaking down the differing viewing angles I mentioned earlier:

http://www.hidefster.com/template/images/plasmatv_guide.png

Macarthur
03-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah, the other thing that is great about my plasma is that I can stand right next to it at almost a 90 degree angle and the picture is still perfect.

And a good point about the half-life of the newer sets. Based on my viewing, mine should be good for at least 20 years.

TMer25
03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I looked around and can't find anything listed for your 42" but the 50" equivalent of your model is listed as having 60,000 hours so it's safe to assume that you have the same as the components should be close to the same.

Any plasma made in the past couple of years should fall into the 50,000 to 60,000 range. If anyone on here should buy a plasma, don't fall for the salesman trying to tell you need an extended warranty in case you need to have the "plasma" recharged. I still here of people falling for that.

Emerson1
03-10-2008, 05:22 PM
3 days only

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8254257&st=8254257&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1169512522269

Sale: $1,299.99

bwdlionfan
03-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
Any plasma made in the past couple of years should fall into the 50,000 to 60,000 range. If anyone on here should buy a plasma, don't fall for the salesman trying to tell you need an extended warranty in case you need to have the "plasma" recharged. I still here of people falling for that.

I bought the warranty since mine was open box.... I have heard that there is danger of burning in an image on plasma, which is why i've yet to hook my xbox up to it.... i play a lot of ncaa football, ive been told the score box and things that remain the same for a long period of time can burn in to the tv, is there really any danger in this?

Emerson1
03-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I have heard that problem is solved to.

TMer25
03-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I bought the warranty since mine was open box.... I have heard that there is danger of burning in an image on plasma, which is why i've yet to hook my xbox up to it.... i play a lot of ncaa football, ive been told the score box and things that remain the same for a long period of time can burn in to the tv, is there really any danger in this?

Now a days, burn in is most susceptible in the first 600-800 hours of use. Most plasma displays have some sort of white field pattern you can turn on to eliminate any image retention. But burn in is really rare these days on a plasma that isn't being run full brightness and contrast, or as calibrators like to call it, "Torch Mode".

Take a break from the XBox every couple of hours and turn it on to something that doesn't have any static images, and leave it on for 30 minutes, and that will usually prevent burn in as well.

Emerson1
03-10-2008, 05:30 PM
With the constant replays in NCAA, I don't think it would be to bad anyways since the scoreboard would go away.

Adidas410s
03-10-2008, 06:16 PM
I've had my TV for just under 2 years and other than some initial burn in (from falling asleep w/ the TV on) I haven't experienced any burn in issues. I still play a good amount of games on my ps3 as well as watching regular TV. Don't worry about the burn in...and try to return your extended warranty! ;)

PHS Wildcats
03-10-2008, 08:01 PM
In the living room I'll be playing my PS3, watching movies and sports on the 50" and in the bedroom for the 42", I'll be about 8 ft away. So which would you reccomend?

TMer25
03-10-2008, 08:25 PM
In the living room I'll be playing my PS3, watching movies and sports on the 50" and in the bedroom for the 42", I'll be about 8 ft away. So which would you reccomend?

If you have room for the depth of a DLP rear projection set by all means that's what I would recommend then for the living room. In the bedroom do you just want something you can wall mount? Will you be watching TV with the lights on in the bedroom?

Emerson1
03-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Glare I think would be another issue, is it a problem on LCDs and Plasmas?

TMer25
03-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Glare I think would be another issue, is it a problem on LCDs and Plasmas?

Depends on the tint of the glass of the display, the gain of the screen can play a part as well.

PHS Wildcats
03-10-2008, 09:13 PM
If you have room for the depth of a DLP rear projection set by all means that's what I would recommend then for the living room. In the bedroom do you just want something you can wall mount? Will you be watching TV with the lights on in the bedroom?

Thanks, I think I'm going with DLP in the living room.
In the bed room a wall mount would be nice but not have to be. Most of the time the lights will be off.

DU_stud04
03-10-2008, 09:17 PM
In the bed room a wall mount would be nice but not have to be. Most of the time the lights will be off. what i did was i bought 2 dlps..... i made a cutout to house the 56 dlp for the bedroom and fit the tv in the wall so it looks like a flat panel.... looks great, but now whoever goes to the restroom sees the back of my tv. :D

PHS Wildcats
03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
what i did was i bought 2 dlps..... i made a cutout to house the 56 dlp for the bedroom and fit the tv in the wall so it looks like a flat panel.... looks great, but now whoever goes to the restroom sees the back of my tv. :D

LOL!!!:clap:

DU_stud04
03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
LOL!!!:clap: carrolton is pretty close, im sure i can rig yours so it looks like mine.... i can even patch it up when you move out if you ever do, im pretty handy with the drywall, and rigging things up. :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-10-2008, 09:31 PM
carrolton is pretty close, im sure i can rig yours so it looks like mine.... i can even patch it up when you move out if you ever do, im pretty handy with the drywall, and rigging things up. :D

Hey, I got an idea, why don't we put toilet water on it? That'll fix it.

DU_stud04
03-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Hey, I got an idea, why don't we put toilet water on it? That'll fix it. it fixed the crop problem...its gotta work.... ohhhh, latte's. ive got all this money.... what was i supposed to be doing?

TMer25
03-10-2008, 10:16 PM
In the bed room a wall mount would be nice but not have to be. Most of the time the lights will be off.

Plasma is the perfect fit there then. In a dark room plasma always works well.

PHS Wildcats
05-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Ok so what is the best brand to get?

Astrosdawg07
05-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Ok so what is the best brand to get?

Tmer, I just bought a Sharp Aquos 46", you think that was a smart move?

Emerson1
05-27-2008, 09:19 PM
What makes this monitor cost so much?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16824001266

Antec
05-27-2008, 09:43 PM
We have a 52 inch LCD- Samsung

1080 dpi

we bought the whole package with waratnaty

We will also get it calibrated next month

now wife wants a 32 inch for our bedroom

but of course have to buy a new Direct TV

HD receiver

Emerson1
05-27-2008, 09:49 PM
How much does it cost to get a TV calibrated?

There are probably cheap/free options if you just search the net

DU_stud04
05-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Tmer, I just bought a Sharp Aquos 46", you think that was a smart move? i heard those spontaneously combust. be careful

Fal44
05-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Definitely need to know:

How far away from the screen will you be?
How much ambient light in the room?
Will you watch alot of sports?

Basically everything Adidas asked lol.

Tmer, any suggestions for me...

I'm looking for a nice tv for me in my dorm... Basically price range between 250-500, mostly sports and video games... Won't be very far from the screen either since its a dorm.. lol

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-28-2008, 12:38 AM
i heard those spontaneously combust. be careful

Yeah, another reason why you shouldn't sit so close to the TV. Now not only can you go blind, but you can burn your face off in the process.

TMer25
05-28-2008, 07:59 AM
How much does it cost to get a TV calibrated?

There are probably cheap/free options if you just search the net

It can get pretty pricey. A complete calibration requires a color analyzer. The best cheap option is a setup disc called avia. It does the best job of explaining test patterns for the average user and does dial in the picture a bit.

TMer25
05-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Tmer, I just bought a Sharp Aquos 46", you think that was a smart move?

The Sharp's are pretty solid displays. They can make a pretty good picture

jason
05-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Fal44
Tmer, any suggestions for me...

I'm looking for a nice tv for me in my dorm... Basically price range between 250-500, mostly sports and video games... Won't be very far from the screen either since its a dorm.. lol its a dorm - get something cheap - it will get spilled on or somebody will break it...

waterboy
05-28-2008, 09:44 AM
One thing I've noticed is that contrast ratio has not been mentioned. I think it's important. The higher the ratio, the brighter the picture. It can come into play depending on how dark, or bright, the room is the set will be watched.

footballgal
05-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Antec
We have a 52 inch LCD- Samsung

1080 dpi

we bought the whole package with waratnaty

We will also get it calibrated next month

now wife wants a 32 inch for our bedroom

but of course have to buy a new Direct TV

HD receiver I had no idea they needed to get calibrated, how often do you have to do that???

About a month ago, I bought a Samsung HD Touch of color 40" 1080p LCD TV and the picture quailty is awesome! Not to mention I can plug in a flash drive view my digitial pixtures, use it as a computer monitor and other functions that I have not yet gotten familiar with. (I have it wall mounted) I recommend it, it's arguably the best out there today. (52" too big for my living room) I also have HD reciever and the HD channels are awesome there are some special channels made just for HD viewing.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/features.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LN52A650A1FXZA

TMer25
05-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
One thing I've noticed is that contrast ratio has not been mentioned. I think it's important. The higher the ratio, the brighter the picture. It can come into play depending on how dark, or bright, the room is the set will be watched.

If manufacturers gave accurate contrast ratio numbers that would be true. But they dont.

gold_33
05-28-2008, 12:16 PM
If you are going to play any type of games go with LCD. I just got a 50" Samsung plasma and after about 30min with NCAA football the score box and the EA sports logo is burned on it. It goes away pretty quick but it always bugs me. But with any channel you watch if it has a logo on it it will will leave it on there for a slight amount of time and i have the screen burn protection on its highest level.

waterboy
05-28-2008, 12:20 PM
If manufacturers gave accurate contrast ratio numbers that would be true. But they dont.
True. There should be a uniform set of measures for all manufacturers to conform to but there isn't.......kinda like on stereo equipment and amplifiers. It does matter, it's just that you won't be able to trust some manufacturers specifications, so it all has to be based on your individual judgement. Remember all you prospective buyers out there, if you buy a set and are not satisfied for ANY reason, you CAN return it for a full refund if done within the first 30 days after purchase date in the state of Texas. Individual stores have different return policies and need to checked on before purchasing anyway, such as keeping the original packaging, receipts, not damaging the product, etc. At least that was what I was told by an attorney friend of mine. This goes for any major purchase over a certain amount, and I think these TVs qualify.

Fal44
05-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by jason
its a dorm - get something cheap - it will get spilled on or somebody will break it...

lol I never really thought about that

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-28-2008, 01:15 PM
lol I never really thought about that

That's not true. We had a 43" DLP in our dorm room and it never was broken.

ILS1
05-28-2008, 03:54 PM
What makes this monitor cost so much?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16824001266

Wow!!! No HD tuner and no HDMI hookups!!! Crazy!!!

:D :D :D

Antec
05-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Cost $300 to get it calibrated

and they only want to do it after about 3 months of use

Techs say thats the time thats needed for tv to get broke in

Like a car

I went to Best Buy and compared HD ts with and with calbrations and there was a big difference

more crisp and sharp and color is better

so we decided to get it done

DU_stud04
05-28-2008, 04:04 PM
lol I never really thought about that what you do if find someone who has money, convince them to be your roommate and then convince them to buy the big tv, ps3 etc. :D

TMer25
05-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Cost $300 to get it calibrated

and they only want to do it after about 3 months of use

Techs say thats the time thats needed for tv to get broke in

Like a car

I went to Best Buy and compared HD ts with and with calbrations and there was a big difference

more crisp and sharp and color is better

so we decided to get it done

Whoever wanted to only do it after 3 months of use is crazy. With old CRT RPTV's, that used to be the case, but with the fixed pixel display's we have today, a couple of weeks is the norm.

footballgal
05-29-2008, 08:55 AM
So you HAVE to get it calibrated?? I was never told that when I bought it. I don't want to spend another $300 after spending 2k.

TMer25
05-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
So you HAVE to get it calibrated?? I was never told that when I bought it. I don't want to spend another $300 after spending 2k.

You don't have to get it calibrated. But it does improve the picture quality

footballgal
05-29-2008, 01:31 PM
You don't have to get it calibrated. But it does improve the picture quality

But if my picture quaility is great now, does this mean that the picture quaility will deteriorate with time? (aside from regular wear & tear)

TMer25
05-29-2008, 02:47 PM
But if my picture quaility is great now, does this mean that the picture quaility will deteriorate with time? (aside from regular wear & tear)

If your happy with your picture quality now then I wouldn't worry about it. The picture does improve though with calibration.

Emerson1
05-29-2008, 03:07 PM
I didn't pay to get mine calibrated.

I changed some stuff around. The only problem I had was on the DVD player, darks were blochy

Adidas410s
05-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by gold_33
If you are going to play any type of games go with LCD. I just got a 50" Samsung plasma and after about 30min with NCAA football the score box and the EA sports logo is burned on it. It goes away pretty quick but it always bugs me. But with any channel you watch if it has a logo on it it will will leave it on there for a slight amount of time and i have the screen burn protection on its highest level.
enjoy the motion blur on your LCD...;)

footballgal
05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
I didn't pay to get mine calibrated.

I changed some stuff around. The only problem I had was on the DVD player, darks were blochy Can you elaborate with what "stuff" you changed?

TMer25
05-30-2008, 11:37 AM
There are calibration discs such as AVIA or Digital Video Essentials that give users some test patterns that they can make basic adjustments with. Not as good as an ISF Calibration but does make some noticeable improvements

Emerson1
05-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Can you elaborate with what "stuff" you changed?
I think it's the contrast that cleared up the blochiness of the black