PDA

View Full Version : frivolous lawsuit of the day.............suing the school for graduating?????

jason
03-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Former Student Sues School Board

KANAWHA COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Most students are excited to get their high school diploma, but a former student at Sissonville High is suing the Kanawha County School Board for letting him graduate.

Now the state Supreme Court has decided to hear the case. Thomas Sturm's attorney says Sturm shouldn't have graduated because he still reads on a third grade level.

The school board's attorneys say Sturm had an individualized education plan, and neither he nor his parents filed any complaints while he was in school.

“IEPs are developed and formulated and put in place anytime the parent would have cause to believe there's a problem, there’s a grievance procedure,” Attorney for Kanawha County Board Chuck Bailey said.

The Supreme Court is expected to hear the case this summer.

DDBooger
03-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by jason
Former Student Sues School Board

KANAWHA COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Most students are excited to get their high school diploma, but a former student at Sissonville High is suing the Kanawha County School Board for letting him graduate.

Now the state Supreme Court has decided to hear the case. Thomas Sturm's attorney says Sturm shouldn't have graduated because he still reads on a third grade level.

The school board's attorneys say Sturm had an individualized education plan, and neither he nor his parents filed any complaints while he was in school.

“IEPs are developed and formulated and put in place anytime the parent would have cause to believe there's a problem, there’s a grievance procedure,” Attorney for Kanawha County Board Chuck Bailey said.

The Supreme Court is expected to hear the case this summer. more a political statement then frivilous. sounds like someone is planning to attack "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND"

STANG RED
03-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Just another loser looking to get something for nothing.:rolleyes:

Seems like an easy fix to me. Just go back and strip his diploma away. Say it was a mistake and let the records show he failed. Something tells me this wasnt his first failure, and certainly wont be his last.

SWMustang
03-07-2008, 10:30 AM
don't you think some people will just never have the skills necessary to read past third grade? The IQ is just too low to facillitate that. I mean if they can't do it but they're trying and the best they're ever gonna do is read at a third grade level, what choice do schools have? Why not have different levels of diploma or an IEP diploma?

STANG RED
03-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
don't you think some people will just never have the skills necessary to read past third grade? The IQ is just too low to facillitate that. I mean if they can't do it but they're trying and the best they're ever gonna do is read at a third grade level, what choice do schools have? Why not have different levels of diploma or an IEP diploma?

Makes perfectly good sense to me. And that's why the powers that be will never go for it. Political correctness just wouldnt be served, and we certainly cant have that.:(