PDA

View Full Version : Southwest vs. Wheatley...WOW what a game!!!!

JR2004
03-07-2008, 01:24 AM
My gosh those of y'all who didn't go tonight really missed out on some beautiful open court basketball. Neither team shot especially well, but it was end to end for the entire 32 minutes. I knew going in that both teams played almost identical styles of basketball, but tonight was just awesome to watch. The game really could've gone either way, but Kendall Timmons (#22) for Southwest was absolutely clutch down the stretch.

My buddies that are coaches in DISD said if they had a kid like Timmons as well as Michael Connor (#15) that they'd run all day long too. The game pace was so wild that the officials looked dead by the middle of the 3rd quarter. Southwest played 10 guys all game long and we were joking that the officials needed a 2nd unit to give them a breather...lol.

If this had been a 48 minute game like the NBA then the 95-89 final would've been 142-133. Just a wild game. This was probably the most back and forth game in Austin since 1997 when Lincoln beat Wheatley 86-85 in the semi-final.

eagles_victory
03-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
My gosh those of y'all who didn't go tonight really missed out on some beautiful open court basketball. Neither team shot especially well, but it was end to end for the entire 32 minutes. I knew going in that both teams played almost identical styles of basketball, but tonight was just awesome to watch. The game really could've gone either way, but Timmons for Southwest was absolutely clutch down the stretch.

My buddies that are coaches in DISD said if they had a kid like Timmons as well as #15 that they'd run all day long too. The game pace was so wild that the officials looked dead by the middle of the 3rd quarter. Southwest played 10 guys all game long and we were joking that the officials needed a 2nd unit to give them a breather...lol.

If this had been a 48 minute game like the NBA then the 95-89 final would've been 142-133. Just a wild game. This was probably the most back and forth game in Austin since 1997 when Lincoln beat Wheatley 86-85 in the semi-final. I was following the gamecast on the UIL website it seemed like it was a great game. Timmons ended up with like 35 and 12 or something like that. How do you think Southwest will fare against SOC?

JR2004
03-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I was following the gamecast on the UIL website it seemed like it was a great game. Timmons ended up with like 35 and 12 or something like that. How do you think Southwest will fare against SOC?

It'll be a tough match-up for Southwest. The consensus right now seems to be that SOC will win because they have guys that are far better players in the open court than in the half court. Watching SOC attempt to run a half court set can make your eyes bleed. It's not pretty to watch at all. If Southwest catches fire early though then SOC is in big trouble because their guards just don't shoot very well at all.

eagles_victory
03-07-2008, 01:33 AM
It'll be a tough match-up for Southwest. The consensus right now seems to be that SOC will win because they have guys that are far better players in the open court than in the half court. Watching SOC attempt to run a half court set can make your eyes bleed. It's not pretty to watch at all. If Southwest catches fire early though then SOC is in big trouble because their guards just don't shoot very well at all. Ill be pulling for Southwest in this one just because I use to date a girl that went to Southwest. But it would be kind of cool to see SOC get 4 in a row I cant imagine that has happened too many times in recent history.

JR2004
03-07-2008, 01:36 AM
The last team to do it was Snook when they won 7 straight from 78-84.

Now if you go with Belo and the DMN, it'll be 3 out of 4 since I believe DISD handed SOC's 06 title back. Most everyone in Dallas though will consider it a 4-peat. I don't know that any team in the higher classifications has ever won that many in a row. I think this would be a first.

I wouldn't mind if Southwest won just to prove a point to some of my friends that you can still play at a frenetic pace like that and win a state title, but I'll pull for SOC since they're the DISD school.

JR2004
03-07-2008, 01:42 AM
I went and looked at the boxscore and it showed Timmons with 34 and 11.

The amazing thing about that is he totaled that in JUST TWENTY-ONE MINUTES. Think about that...He did that while playing in just 2/3 of the game. Heck of a performance.

NastySlot
03-07-2008, 10:10 AM
The last team to do it was Snook when they won 7 straight from 78-84.

Now if you go with Belo and the DMN, it'll be 3 out of 4 since I believe DISD handed SOC's 06 title back. Most everyone in Dallas though will consider it a 4-peat. I don't know that any team in the higher classifications has ever won that many in a row. I think this would be a first.

I wouldn't mind if Southwest won just to prove a point to some of my friends that you can still play at a frenetic pace like that and win a state title, but I'll pull for SOC since they're the DISD school.

so did they officially have to forfeit that title?