PDA

View Full Version : South America getting ready to explode

big daddy russ
03-07-2008, 01:17 AM
...and because of that gas prices may be shooting up even more. Heard on the radio this morning that regular unleaded hit $5.19 a gallon somewhere in California.

Don't know if this has hit any of the major American news outlets yet, but tensions have been escalating for the past week between Colombia and Ecuador.

Colombian forces attacked a rebel camp across Ecuador's border without the country's permission. Venezuela sided with Ecuador and Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez called on other American nations to condemn the attack, then yesterday Nicaragua completely cut off diplomatic ties with Colombia.

There's more to the story, but they tell it better than I could.

link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7282336.stm)

link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7274209.stm)

sahen
03-07-2008, 01:30 AM
honestly, i wish we would stay out of it but u know we wont....for once it'd be interesting just let them go at it and just see what happens...but i guess there are reasons to get involved as well...of course if us getting involved means they dont go to war with each other then that would be better than them killing each other, but if we cant stop them from fighting then i say just let'em go...

big daddy russ
03-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by sahen
honestly, i wish we would stay out of it but u know we wont....for once it'd be interesting just let them go at it and just see what happens...but i guess there are reasons to get involved as well...of course if us getting involved means they dont go to war with each other then that would be better than them killing each other, but if we cant stop them from fighting then i say just let'em go...
I'm 100% with you on that, sahen. Unfortunately, one of the backstories involves our ties to the Colombian government and our pledge to President Uribe to do "whatever necessary" to eradicate the drug problem down in South America. I don't know how the White House will handle this, but I guess we'll wait and see.

BobcatBenny
03-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Chavez would have to really be insane if he stirs up too much trouble down there.

Or maybe he does not have Youtube and he missed the whole Sadam hanging and all? :(

jason
03-07-2008, 10:34 AM
we need to just let these crazies blow themselves up - they're stupid enough to do it....

the same with iraq, those nuts will eventually kill each other off.....

Silverback 04
03-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Fellas, the only real problem here is the price of gas. Which if you keep up with current events, and I'm sure you do, has not much to do with just South America. That problem has to do more with every place in the world that has oil is in religious or political turmoil. So every time somebody in those countries farts, we pay the price. As far as war in South America goes, lets get real. When was the last time anybody from that region had anything more than a rock throwing contest. The Latin American people are lovers not fighters. They would rather stand there in their military uniforms loaded with medals they got for graduating from high school and rattle their sabres than actually fight, which in a nut shell means nothing of any consequence will happen. It will be a case of I'll put my 90 tanks and 10,000 solidiers/sugar cane peons/rebels without a job against yours, and lets see if we can convince everybody how powerful we are. These days you have a better chance of getting shot in a fast food restaurant than you do of getting those knuckleheads in South America to actually throw a punch. JMO

Silverback 04
03-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Oh, and something else. The last time a leader from down that way talked trash at us and dared us to come on down there and see what we got, I believe we sent down a coulpe thousand Joes and in a day or two had taken his sorry ass prisoner. Betcha he sits in his cell everyday thinking "if i had just not pulled out that sword, I might still be livin' the highlife!"

big daddy russ
03-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
Oh, and something else. The last time a leader from down that way talked trash at us and dared us to come on down there and see what we got, I believe we sent down a coulpe thousand Joes and in a day or two had taken his sorry ass prisoner. Betcha he sits in his cell everyday thinking "if i had just not pulled out that sword, I might still be livin' the highlife!"
We were the ones who put him in power in the first place.

Silverback 04
03-07-2008, 11:17 AM
You are correct sir, but whats that got to do with anything! If I hire somebody to run my company and he turns out to be an idiot, does that mean I'm gonna let him sit in the office and talk trash to me? No! It means I tell him "Come in to my office, cause your freakin' fired!"

big daddy russ
03-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
You are correct sir, but whats that got to do with anything! If I hire somebody to run my company and he turns out to be an idiot, does that mean I'm gonna let him sit in the office and talk trash to me? No! It means I tell him "Come in to my office, cause your freakin' fired!"
I thought it had everything to do with what you just said. But that's just me.