PDA

View Full Version : Big Sandy vs. Thorndale

JR2004
03-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Going by what I saw from Thorndale last year, I'd have to say they'll be the favorite on Saturday. However, I'll be pulling for the Wildcats. They have one of the most storied basketball basketball programs in Texas high school basketball history. This is the first time the Wildcats have been to Austin since 1988, but I'm sure they're a sentimental favorite to win Saturday among folks who know the history of basketball in this state.

They have a very unique team in that a good chunk of their roster each season comes from the Alabama-Coushatta reservation. If you've never gotten to see Native-American kids play you've really missed out. Those kids just NEVER get tired. They could run from sun up to sundown and still be full of energy. I still have a Big Sandy basketball shirt somewhere that I got from my last trip out there several years back. If I could find it, I'd wear it Saturday morning to show them some support. I doubt they'll win, but I hope they find a way to pull off the upset!

eagles_victory
03-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Going by what I saw from Thorndale last year, I'd have to say they'll be the favorite on Saturday. However, I'll be pulling for the Wildcats. They have one of the most storied basketball basketball programs in Texas high school basketball history. This is the first time the Wildcats have been to Austin since 1988, but I'm sure they're a sentimental favorite to win Saturday among folks who know the history of basketball in this state.

They have a very unique team in that a good chunk of their roster each season comes from the Alabama-Coushatta reservation. If you've never gotten to see Native-American kids play you've really missed out. Those kids just NEVER get tired. They could run from sun up to sundown and still be full of energy. I still have a Big Sandy basketball shirt somewhere that I got from my last trip out there several years back. If I could find it, I'd wear it Saturday morning to show them some support. I doubt they'll win, but I hope they find a way to pull off the upset! Saw Big Sandy in regionals here at SFA last year and this year and they have a good team. I agree they might not beat Thorndale but they are pretty solid. They can shoot the ball well and are a very energetic team. I myself will be going for Big Sandy since I have seen them the last two years. Most of their roster is made of Native Americans from the last two years. I didnt know they had a good tradition for basketball though.

JR2004
03-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Saw Big Sandy in regionals here at SFA last year and this year and they have a good team. I agree they might not beat Thorndale but they are pretty solid. They can shoot the ball well and are a very energetic team. I myself will be going for Big Sandy since I have seen them the last two years. Most of their roster is made of Native Americans from the last two years. I didnt know they had a good tradition for basketball though.

A lot of younger folks don't realize the tradition they've had over the years due to it having been two decades since they've been this good. The Alabama-Coushatta reservation is home to the only Indian to have ever played in the NBA. If I remember correctly he was with the Leprechauns back in the 50's for awhile. I can't remember his name, but I've seen him before when I've been out there. He was on some legendary Big Sandy teams from the late 40's and early 50's. This is their 13th trip down to Austin and hopefully they won't go 20 years in between appearances again.

Old Tiger
03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Part of the reason Thorndale is doing so well in basketball was last year during there title run they were up by a lot in a majority of the games and the backups got a lot of playing time. From what I understood when they made the switch it didn't effect the game and it appeared that the starters were never taken out.

eagles_victory
03-06-2008, 04:31 PM
A lot of younger folks don't realize the tradition they've had over the years due to it having been two decades since they've been this good. The Alabama-Coushatta reservation is home to the only Indian to have ever played in the NBA. If I remember correctly he was with the Leprechauns back in the 50's for awhile. I can't remember his name, but I've seen him before when I've been out there. He was on some legendary Big Sandy teams from the late 40's and early 50's. This is their 13th trip down to Austin and hopefully they won't go 20 years in between appearances again. They were good enough to get their last year imo just ran into a very tough Martins Mill team and couldnt matchup with MMs big man. I didnt know this about the reservation and I go through their fairly often.

buff4life
03-06-2008, 04:48 PM
i'm pulling for thorndale...gotta pick friends over history

Old Tiger
03-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Thorndale has the top 1a player in the state in Brandon Irwin.

buff4life
03-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Thorndale has the top 1a player in the state in Brandon Irwin.

watched him today...kid is a stud

JR2004
03-08-2008, 07:28 AM
It's about time for me to head out from Lampasas (decided to stop through here and see my parents for a few days while going to the games down in Austin.) and get on down there for this one. I wish I could've found my Big Sandy basketball shirt, or at the very least, found the shirt I have that I bought over at the reservation that had the symbol for their tribe on the front and back. I'd have worn either this morning to show some support for the Wildcats.

I looked through the roster and saw a Sylestine on there. I thought I recognized the name and sure enough I did. One of his relatives is the chief of the two tribes. Just a cool tidbit I thought.

They have a very tall order today just like they did exactly 20 years ago against Paducah. Many folks have described that group from Paducah as the greatest 1A team in the history of high school basketball in this state. They had a 6'10" center I believe that went to Tech and they absolutely destroyed Big Sandy 99-61. I'm hoping for better results today. Best of luck to both teams though and I hope it's a good game no matter who wins!

LH Panther Mom
03-08-2008, 08:14 AM
They have a very tall order today just like they did exactly 20 years ago against Paducah. Many folks have described that group from Paducah as the greatest 1A team in the history of high school basketball in this state. They had a 6'10" center I believe that went to Tech and they absolutely destroyed Big Sandy 99-61. I'm hoping for better results today. Best of luck to both teams though and I hope it's a good game no matter who wins!
Will Flemons: Inducted into the Hall of Honor in 2003
Hometown: Paducah
Basketball - 1990-93
Southwest Conference Player of the Year in 1992 and 1993
Helped the Red Raiders win the 1993 SWC Post-Season Tournament title and an NCAA berth in 1993
SWC Newcomer of the Year in 1990 after leading league in rebounding
School's recordholder in career field goal percentage with 59.8
Seven blocked shots vs. Texas A&M as a freshman to set the school record
Set the school record for consecutive free throws made with 30
Served as assistant coach from 1994-98

I remember my Dad talking about him and what a stud he was. He told me that Will made him glad he had retired from coaching so he didn't have to coach a team against him.