PDA

View Full Version : CD Burning???

espn1
03-06-2008, 12:30 AM
I have an mp3 file that I want to burn to a cd disk. The file is too big to fit on one cd. How do I split it up to fit on multiple cd's? Also what is the best software to use to accomplish this?

Old Tiger
03-06-2008, 12:31 AM
audio editing software. split it in half and it should work.

espn1
03-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Even split in half it's still too big. What is the best audio editing software to use to automate this task?

Old Tiger
03-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by espn1
Even split in half it's still too big. What is the best audio editing software to use to automate this task? Split it equally however many times you need to and just burn multiple CD's as for software you'll have to ask someone else.

Is this a audio book reading? lol

espn1
03-06-2008, 12:51 AM
It's a seminar?

DU_stud04
03-06-2008, 02:05 AM
try audacity.... its the best free audio editor i know of.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

when you cut and try to save file as a mp3, it will tell you that you need to download a program to do so.... you'll have to download "LAME" to be able to convert it to mp3... from there you should be able to save it to you disk

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3
(^help with lame)

espn1
03-06-2008, 02:23 AM
It's already in mp3 format. I just need to know how to burn a large file to multiple cd's.

DU_stud04
03-06-2008, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by espn1
It's already in mp3 format. I just need to know how to burn a large file to multiple cd's. you edit the file to fit your cds with auducity...... when you go to save the file it will change because of the program.....lame just makes it savable as a mp3 again when you're finished editing it.

Panther One
03-06-2008, 03:09 AM
I assume you're not just burning the mp3 file to a CD because more than likely, that would fit on just one. Compressed at a 128 bit rate, a 700 MB mp3 would be over 12 hours long. Anyway, if you're making an audio CD, it doesn't matter if you're working with an mp3, wav, etc. 80 minutes is 80 minutes.

I don't know of any simple solutions for what you are wanting to do. You first have to edit the mp3 into smaller clips. You can do that with Audacity, as mentioned. It's free to download. I would suggest making 3-4 minute clips, perhaps using natural transitions in the lecture to decide where to break it up. This will give you about 20 3-4 minute tracks per CD, as opposed to one 80 minute track. That makes playback much more convenient.

Once it's broken down into tracks, you can burn it to a CD. This can be done using iTunes, Nero, Roxio, or other CD burning programs. You'd basically just build your playlists and burn them to the CD. Some programs automatically put a 1 or 2 second gap in between tracks. Disable that if you can so that the CD flows throughout like an audio book.

What type of ripping/burning/editing programs do you currently have installed?

DU_stud04
03-06-2008, 03:18 AM
lets just say said file is 180 minutes long.... cd's will fit 80, but crop the sections to 75 just in case.

open your file with audacity.

go to minute 75, click then highlight minute 75 till the end.

find copy (under the "file" tab up top) and copy the highlighted selection. then delete it, leaving you with the first 75 minutes of your file.

click on export file as mp3.(this is where you will have to have lame.... you wont have to do anything but just locate lame.dll so it can re-save it as a mp3) and export it to desktop(or preferred location)

now (without closing out of the program) highlight the first 75 minutes and hit the delete key....which will leave you with nothing.

now go back to file and press paste.

go to minute 75 again and highlight from there till the end. copy it as before and then delete it. then export that as the second part to desktop or desire location.

highlight and delete which will leave you at nothing again. go to file and paste the last part of your file. then export that as your 3rd part.

then burn it as you would normally do so. it sounds like alot of work, but it can be done in less than 5 minutes.

*edit* mix what i said with pantherone's post. itll take a while, but convenience is always a plus.

Emerson1
03-06-2008, 02:20 PM
You can do it in windows movie maker to

DU_stud04
03-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
You can do it in windows movie maker to go away with that non-sense

espn1
03-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the info.:confused: :D :confused: :D :thinking:

Antec
03-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I use Roxio

espn1
03-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Antec
I use Roxio Me too! I actually have Roxio and I finally figured out how to use it. Thanks everyone for all of your help.