PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roudup this weekend

STANG RED
03-05-2008, 08:31 AM
For those of you looking for something to do this weekend, we are having our annual Sweetwater Jaycees Worlds Largest Rattlesnake Roundup and Cookoff this weekend.

http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.net/main/modules/page/

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
For those of you looking for something to do this weekend, we are having our annual Sweetwater Jaycees Worlds Largest Rattlesnake Roundup and Cookoff this weekend.

http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.net/main/modules/page/

Good times.

Lion_Addict
03-05-2008, 08:38 AM
The best around, no doubt!

STANG RED
03-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
The best around, no doubt!

Just need to get into the right mind set to deal with the crowds and traffic. Its a mess!

icu812
03-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Stayed at a nice B&B (old two story house with a bar inside - can't remmember the name) there about ten yrs. ago. Spent a few days at the rattlesnake roundup had a good time.

Sweetwater Red
03-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by icu812
Stayed at a nice B&B (old two story house with a bar inside - can't remmember the name) there about ten yrs. ago. Spent a few days at the rattlesnake roundup had a good time.

Was it next to a big two story house with a red, a white, and a
blue VW in the driveway?

icu812
03-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure but the people who owned the B&B did have an antique car (don't remmember the model).

injuredinmelee
03-05-2008, 09:30 AM
So it is going to rain this weekend!!! Woohoooo if the rattlesnake round up is in town it ALWAY rains or does something drastic.

icu812
03-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Was it next to a big two story house with a red, a white, and a
blue VW in the driveway?

It may have been the Mulberry Manor? It was very nice, in town N of Hwy and S of the rattlesnake round up.

bigron15
03-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
So it is going to rain this weekend!!! Woohoooo if the rattlesnake round up is in town it ALWAY rains or does something drastic.

its not going to rain. it may rain thursday but nothin really goes down on thursday.

STANG RED
03-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by bigron15
its not going to rain. it may rain thursday but nothin really goes down on thursday.

Should be pretty pleasant.

Friday: Considerable cloudiness. Highs in the upper 50s and lows in the upper 20s.
Saturday: Sunshine. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the low 40s.
Sunday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 40s.

GetRDoneStangs
03-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Looks like great weather for this weekend! Looks like the coldest will Thusday will a chance of rain and snow! Speaking of Thursday, I guess I get to practice my "sideline reporting" on TV for the parade......I will help "commentate with the KRBC news ancors....:eek: :eek: ...they will telecast the parade live (Channel 9 in Abilene)....they must be hard up for local commentators!:D :D

This year will be the 50th year the Jayces have been putting on the Roundup!

Hope to see some of y'all there!

DU_stud04
03-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Just need to get into the right mind set to deal with the crowds and traffic. Its a mess! traffic isnt too bad, when i go, its like a "welcome home, we've adjusted just for you this weekend" feeling to it. glad the weather isnt going to be 100 degrees like alot of them seem have been in the past. i like 60-70 degree weather :)

is it too late to enter the brisket cookoff? i feel like winning some money ;)

GetRDoneStangs
03-05-2008, 12:52 PM
is it too late to enter the brisket cookoff? i feel like winning some money

You can enter thu 8 pm or so Friday night and I think early Saturday morning. They are lined up out past the pool already......they start to let them into the park area at noon today.

BMOC
03-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I Hate SNAKES!!! But I still always go to the Roundup....guess I just like to torture myself. Is the Sweetwater Track Meet this weekend?

injuredinmelee
03-05-2008, 01:00 PM
any bets that it rains at least once on friday sat or sun? There is no way that the rain gods will give us a dry area to flea market in.

DU_stud04
03-05-2008, 01:29 PM
anyone up for some golf at either the lake or merkel?

GetRDoneStangs
03-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
I Hate SNAKES!!! But I still always go to the Roundup....guess I just like to torture myself. Is the Sweetwater Track Meet this weekend?

New track is being installed now.....won't be ready until 1st of April.

Not sure of the status of the Rattlesnake relays

STANG RED
03-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
anyone up for some golf at either the lake or merkel?

I'm up for it. But I dont know what kind of shape the lake is in. They had closed 1/2 the course last year because of the drought, but it may be opened back up now. I really like the Merkel course though. I'd rather play there anyway.
Since they have plenty water now, they will probably get the lake course back in pretty good shape this summer, but I doubt much has been done over the winter.
So what day do you want to play?

DU_stud04
03-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm up for it. But I dont know what kind of shape the lake is in. They had closed 1/2 the course last year because of the drought, but it may be opened back up now. I really like the Merkel course though. I'd rather play there anyway.
Since they have plenty water now, they will probably get the lake course back in pretty good shape this summer, but I doubt much has been done over the winter.
So what day do you want to play? how much does a round at merkel cost? ive only played in tourneys there

STANG RED
03-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
how much does a round at merkel cost? ive only played in tourneys there

I dont remember the exact amount, but its pretty cheap. Seems like maybe $25 or so for 18 and 1/2 a cart.

SUPERMANN5107
03-05-2008, 04:26 PM
I thought the round up was next weekend! Crap I was planning on goin to I haven't been in a long time. When is it over?

STANG RED
03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by SUPERMANN5107
I thought the round up was next weekend! Crap I was planning on goin to I haven't been in a long time. When is it over?

It goes all day Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. March 7, 8, & 9th.

SUPERMANN5107
03-05-2008, 04:37 PM
I may be able to make it sunday. I'll be goin home for the break friday and in lubbock all day saturday.

BILLYFRED0000
03-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Well I aint a gonna get to go. But I bet Ya ya'll will see Denny Rae Braswell out there. He is a fellow Brontian (from Bronte although I was there before he was) and we stick together. If you ever get the chance you ought to go to his rattle snake ranch in Bronte. Pretty cool stuff.

STANG RED
03-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Well I aint a gonna get to go. But I bet Ya ya'll will see Denny Rae Braswell out there. He is a fellow Brontian (from Bronte although I was there before he was) and we stick together. If you ever get the chance you ought to go to his rattle snake ranch in Bronte. Pretty cool stuff.

I used to do a lot of business with Denny several years ago when I was dealing some in rattlesnakes. He's a real good guy, and always treated me right. But I havent seen him in 10 or more years. Seems like someone told me he wasnt in the snake business anymore, but I dont know. Wasnt he the grounds keeper for the golf course and park in Bronte also?

BILLYFRED0000
03-05-2008, 07:29 PM
I used to do a lot of business with Denny several years ago when I was dealing some in rattlesnakes. He's a real good guy, and always treated me right. But I havent seen him in 10 or more years. Seems like someone told me he wasnt in the snake business anymore, but I dont know. Wasnt he the grounds keeper for the golf course and park in Bronte also?

Yes and he still goes to the round up. AT least he did a couple of years ago. ESPN
did a great story on the round up and Denny was the central character and character of course is the right word. I will see if I can find the story and provide the link. It was a great job on the roundup and the things that go on and why it exists in the first place.

I have known Denny and his family for years. His mom worked in the school cafeteria when I was in elementary school. He moved to Bronte Park and golf course and swimming pool in the 70
s and ran it for a while for the county.

STANG RED
03-07-2008, 09:54 PM
ttt

Just want to make sure everybody knows the big show is going this weekend. If your just setting around being bored tomorrow and Sunday, come on over to Sweetwater. Weather is supposed to be pleasant enough, and theres lots to do. I think I'll head to the cookoff in the morning and volunteer to be a judge. Cant beat free BBQ and beer.:D

garciap77
03-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Is that BBQ ad Beer at your house?

STANG RED
03-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Is that BBQ ad Beer at your house?

Nope, its at the cookoff (well I do have a case of Modelo Negra I will share). All judges get free beer to wash down the BBQ. Come on over and join me! You still have my number dont you?

kepdawg
03-07-2008, 10:38 PM
All judges get free beer to wash down the BBQ.

Does G2 know about this?

garciap77
03-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Yes I have your number. I might put it up for sale on the Down Low! Ha Ha. Going to Angelo tomorrow for my son's track meet, but maybe I might make the Sunday show. Is the chicken place still open out there?

STANG RED
03-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Yes I have your number. I might put it up for sale on the Down Low! Ha Ha. Going to Angelo tomorrow for my son's track meet, but maybe I might make the Sunday show. Is the chicken place still open out there?

If your talking about Mrs. Allens, yes Sunday is usually their biggest day. Lots of folks head that way after church.
Gimme a shout if you coming.
By the way, the cookoff isnt still going on Sunday, but still lots to do.
Good luck at the track meet tomorrow! I hope he does well!

garciap77
03-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks! Maybe I'll see you there Sunday if I go! Are you still working at the same place?

DU_stud04
03-07-2008, 11:27 PM
guessim not heading that way this year.... gotta make a raincheck for that golf