PDA

View Full Version : Argh!

pirate4state
03-04-2008, 12:59 PM
The past few days I have received the following text message:

TDECU

Dear Texas Dow Employees CU, your payment services are expired and need to be renewed, please call us toll free at: 816-256-3251.

Stupidity!

So, for giggles I googled TDECU today and found this on their website:

ALERT: Important Member Information

TEXT MESSAGE PHISHING SCAM

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ:

If you have recently received a text message stating your bill service with Texas Dow Employees CU has expired and to renew
you need to call an unfamiliar number, disregard it.
It is a scam to collect your data.
Please remember: TDECU does not request that you update your account information via email, text, or by phone.

:mad: :mad:

The thing that is SO annoying is I'm not even a member of TDECU.

and.....

just how the hell did they get my number???? :foul: :foul:

so beware.....

piratebg
03-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Me and my wife both got one yesterday. I called it and figured it out pretty quick. :D

Ranger Mom
03-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Me and my wife both got one yesterday. I called it and figured it out pretty quick. :D

Is your phone signed up in the "DO NOT CALL" program??

I NEVER get calls/texts like that!

piratebg
03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Damn I just got another one. :mad:

piratebg
03-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I sent them a nice, courteous reply. Let's see if they respond back now. :D

AP Panther Fan
03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
interesting....this is the first time I have heard of phishing via texting/phone (I thought they only initiated these scams by e-mail)....

they would have hell getting a text through to me since I ignore all of them...even those from people I know.

:cool: :D

SUPERMANN5107
03-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Here is the number for the National Do Not Call List: +18883821222

Hope it helps

Ranger Mom
03-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by SUPERMANN5107
Here is the number for the National Do Not Call List: +18883821222

Hope it helps

I signed up about 3 years ago and I have never got one of those calls and/or texts.

AP Panther Fan
03-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I signed up about 3 years ago and I have never got one of those calls and/or texts.

Funny, but the only business that calls me on my cell phone is the darn Corpus Christi Caller Times asking me if I want to subscribe to the newspaper.

I have yet to figure out why they continue to call...I have never subscribed to the paper before nor have they ever even tried to call me on my home phone to ask me. Weird, really weird.

sinton66
03-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Funny, but the only business that calls me on my cell phone is the darn Corpus Christi Caller Times asking me if I want to subscribe to the newspaper.

I have yet to figure out why they continue to call...I have never subscribed to the paper before nor have they ever even tried to call me on my home phone to ask me. Weird, really weird.

You probably made someone mad that knows your cell number.:D