PDA

View Full Version : Preseason MLB talk

big daddy russ
03-03-2008, 10:51 PM
What do you think of this year? Have any predictions of your favorite team, player, and both (or either) Texas team? Any thoughts on the World Series?

I'm long-winded, so I'm putting my thoughts on another post. Let's hear yours.

injuredinmelee
03-03-2008, 11:50 PM
me thinketh neither Texas team will have to worry about making hotel reservations for the World Series.

Texas Rangers will win 65-70 games. Pitching will be autrocious. Lots of homers and strikeouts on offense. I will have to remember this thread so I can come back and cut and paste it for the beginning of the '09 season also.

Houston Astros will win 70-75 games.

World Series

Cubs or Mets vs (and here I go stepping out on a limb) NY, Boston. Actually Seattle or Detroit could make a run at a world title.

big daddy russ
03-04-2008, 12:19 AM
My thoughts:

World Series: LA Angels vs. San Diego (SD wins in seven)

Division Champs:
AL East- Boston
AL Central- Detroit (Best record in AL)
AL West- LA Angels
NL East- NY Mets
NL Central- Chicago
NL West- San Diego

Wild Card Teams:
Cleveland
Florida

Playoffs:
ALDS
LA Angels (3) over Boston (2) in 7
Detroit (1) over Cleveland (4) in 7
NLDS
Florida (4) over NY (1) in 5
San Diego (3) over Chicago (2) in 6

ALCS
LA over Detroit in 6
San Diego over Florida in 7

Biggest Disappointment: New York City as a whole-- The Mets make the playoffs with the best record in the bigs, but lose to Florida in the first round. The Yankees fail to make the postseason.

Surprise Teams: Toronto, Florida, Washington

Favorite player: Aaron Rowand, Giants
I don't think he'll put up the numbers he did last year, but a .290 average with a .480 OBP and 18 homers isn't out of the question. I'm expecting my second-favorite player, Reed Johnson, to post a .300 average, .380 OBP, and score 80 runs.

Favorite team: Blue Jays (I'm guessing somewhere close to 85 wins, give or take a few.)
I like this squad more than any team Toronto has fielded since the mid-90's, but there are plenty of questions. Can Reed Johnson fill in over in left? Scott Rolen's glove will never be questioned, but can he generate enough offense to make up for the loss of Troy Glaus and, more importantly, can he stay healthy? He turns 33 in a couple of months and should be well into his power years, but his pop has declined tremendously since 2004. The biggest question in my mind, however, is whether or not BJ Ryan can perform capably at the back of the bullpen. Is he fully recovered from Tommy John surgery a year ago? And if not, can he make due with what's left to solidify the back of the 'pen?
What I like about this team is the pitching. Even though the health of Ryan, Roy Halladay, and AJ Burnett is always in question, on paper they may have the best pitching, from inning one to nine, in the AL East. And yes, I'm including Boston. If Ryan returns to form, their bullpen is downright scary. From what we saw last year, youngster Jeremy Accardo may be better than Ryan has ever been and Scott Downs is one of the best long relievers in the AL. If that wasn't enough, Casey Janssen was neck-and-neck with Accardo on the depth chart before being shut down with shoulder issues, but should be back before the season and 25-year-old Brandon League (who was expected to be Toronto's setup man over Accardo and Janssen) is back and ready to go.
The rotation looks great, especially one through three. Halladay and Burnett are good for 15 wins a piece as long as they're healthy. Two 26-year-olds poised for great careers are in the three and four spots. Dustin McGowan is Toronto's next big thing as the third man in the rotation and Shaun Marcum posted a 12-6 record with a respectable 4.13 ERA last year. Finally, 22-year-old Jesse Litsch moved up quickly through the Jays' farm system and is hanging on to the fifth spot in the rotation.
Around the field, Alex Rios continues to improve and this should be the year when he breaks out and becomes an all-out superstar. I've always loved David Eckstein, and him and Josh Reed will be great sparkplugs for the team. Both go 110% all the time and though they may never be All-Stars (again), are great about getting the timely hit. There's no question that Vernon Wells can rake, he just needs to get more patient and start seeing the ball. His inconsistency drives me crazy.
All we want from Lyle Overbay is to just keep getting on base. We're expecting the same from Johnson, Eckstein, and third-year 2B Aaron Hill, and all three can do it. Frank Thomas still has plenty of pop and should top 100 RBI with a healthy lineup, Rolen has 25-HR potential that we desperately need if we plan on competing within the division, and if Wells can .
A team OBP of .330 isn't just a realistic possibility, it's almost expected if they can just stay healthy. On top of that, if Rolen has a decent year, Wells bounces back from an off-year, and Thomas keeps raking, a team OPS of .850+ is entirely possible. In the past two years, only C Gregg Zaun, OF Reed Johnson (injuries), 2B Aaron Hill (still only 25 and posted .756/17 last year), and SS David Eckstein (no pop whatsoever) have failed to produce an .850 OPS/20 HR season over the last two years. But Johnson did manage to hit .319 with an .869 OPS despite his 12 HR two years ago.
The young arms aren't as heralded as the Yankees' and there are big question marks surrounding the health of the team, but if they keep it together they'll be fighting for a playoff spot going into the last week of the regular season. It's too bad they don't play in the West, but this is the hand we've been dealt and you play what you're given.

Astros (My second-favorite team: predicting 75 wins)
Rotation, rotation, rotation. Sure, even I think they're a little underrated, but with the expectations surrounding this bunch there's nowhere to go but up. There are only three pitchers in this organization who would see time on the 'Jays' roster: Roy O, possibly Chris Sampson, and Wandy Rodriguez in the middle one of his infamous hot streaks.
Actually, I take that back. Jose Valverde would also make the roster as a setup man.
They probably have one of the five best offenses in all of baseball and will be fun to watch, but the defense looks terrible. There's no doubt that Miguel Tejada is a huge upgrade from Everett overall, but was the sacrifice of big-time pitching prospect Troy Patton and Matt Albers worth it? The move didn't seem to fit in with the idea of defense and speed. Not saying that Tejada's defense is terrible (he has one of the best arms of any infielder in the bigs), just saying that Houston seemed to sacrifice a lot, especially from an already-stripped down farm system, in exchange for a possibly-over-the-hill SS whose name has been linked to the Mitchell Report since well before the trade.
Their rotation could be serviceable by next year, but what of the future? They'll be forced to turn to free agency in order to find a rotation capable of getting them to the postseason, and that's never a good strategy.
It'll be a good year if they manage to get within a few games of .500, but it doesn't seem like they're aiming at this year. Which makes me wonder, what's their long-term plan? If they were looking for defense and speed, but found a great offense along the way, I'd understand. But their IF defense looks average at best and the only arms on the team that can play RF capably are their starting C and SS. Don't be surprised to see JR Towles play out in right a little at certain points this year.

sahen
03-04-2008, 12:57 AM
i think the astros have a shot to win the Central since the rest of the pitching in the Central sucks and we SHOULD have the best offense....the cubs or brewers actually should win the division but the cubs i dont think are good enough to be the 10 to 15 games up they will need to be to avoid their yearly choke come august/september, the brewers have the talent but they choked last year and it remains to be seen whether or not they can put it together for a whole season...

Central is really a crap shoot, the only thing that is pretty certain is the Pirates wont win, the rest of the teams arent really strong enough to say they will win for certain or weak enough to rule out, though the Reds are close to being ruled out, if they won i'd be really shocked but its not impossible like the Pirates....

Anyway, whoever makes it from the Central will most likely not make the world series because the pitching is so bad on the teams baring some midseason trades or some unproven guys showing up...

rangerjim
03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Tampa Bay Rays to be my surprise wildcard team in the AL. The usual predicted suspects to win their divisions in the AL (Boston, LA Angels, Detroit - big daddy russ is so smart). Toss up between Detroit or Boston making it to the big dance.

In the NL the Mets, San Diego, and the Cubbies (I'm a homer). Probabaly the Brewers as wildcard but are the Braves ever far behind? Gonna step out on a limb and say my sleeper pick - Pirates finish last in the NL Central!!!!

Padres tmost likely to represent the NL and win the World Series but I keep seeing flashes of Fukedome hitting a double to left field to score 2 in the bottom on the 9th in Game 6 of the NL Championship series to beat the Padres and win it all.

The curse of the goat finally goes away in magic year 100 of the Cubs drought. Oh yea - the same day the Cubs win the World series, I'm gonna win the Megamillions and throw one heck of a party! Your all invited!

Txbroadcaster
03-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

Texas Rangers will win 65-70 games. Pitching will be autrocious. Lots of homers and strikeouts on offense. I will have to remember this thread so I can come back and cut and paste it for the beginning of the '09 season also.

Texas Pitching will be as usual not be strong, but I think your thinking OLD Ranger offense because this year's team is not a homer happy group or really a high strikeout group either.

They MIGHT have one guy who can go yard more than 30 times but that is it. This year's offense will be more about situational hitting and being aggresive on the basepaths.

K-MAC Chuck
03-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Just some quick thoughts:

*Surprise team: Kansas City Royals (MARK IT DOWN!)

*Rangers: actually have better pitching than Houston (first time in forever); will win 70-75 games

*Astros: have atrocious Starting Pitching; will finish 3rd-4th in horrible Central division

*AL Central will be, top-to-bottom, best division in baseball (laugh now); other strong divisions, AL East/NL East

More later...

c-town_balla
03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Rangers are going 85-77

Michael Young .323 95 RBIs
Ian Kinsler 25 HRs
Josh Hamlton .310
Jason Gabbard 15-9 3.42 ERA

Those my friends....are bold predictions

crzyjournalist03
03-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Rangers finish close to .500, with a better record than the Astros again.

(Most people don't realize that Texas got hot in the second half last year and actually ended up with a better record than Houston.)

Houston wins about 74 games.

Daddy D 11
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Red Sox repeat:devil:

Adidas410s
03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Texas Rangers...80-82
Houston Astros...71-91
***Rangers win the Silver Boot***

AL East: Boston Red Sox (92 wins)
AL Central: Cleveland Indians (98 wins)
AL West: California Angels (94 wins)
AL Wild Card: Detroit Tigers (97 wins)

NL East: NY Mets (93 wins)
NL Central: Chicago Cubs (89 wins)
NL West: San Diego Padres (90 wins)
NL Wild Card: Milwaukee Brewers (88 wins)

AL MVP - Magglio Ordonez, Tigers
AL Cy Young - Fausto Carmona, Indians
AL Comeback Player - Francisco Liriano, Twins

NL MVP - Matt Holiday, Rockies
NL Cy Young - Jake Peavy, Padres
NL Comeback Player - Matt Morris, Pirates

AL Playoffs
Boston Red Sox 3 Detroit Tigers 2
Cleveland Indians 3 California Angels 1

Cleveland Indians 4 Boston Red Sox 2

NL Playoffs
NY Mets 3 Milwaukee Brewers 1
Chicago Cubs 3 San Diego Padres 0

Chicago Cubs 4 NY Mets 2

World Series
It goes 7 games...and whomever has home field wins the 7th game!!! :)

Either way...one of the 2 longest World Series droughts will be broken. This will be the Cubs 100th season (1908) and the Indians 60th season (1948) since their respective clubs won a World Series.

Mace Griffin
03-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla

Jason Gabbard 15-9 3.42 ERA

who is Jason Gabbard? Any relation to Kason Gabbard?

crzyjournalist03
03-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Mace Griffin
who is Jason Gabbard? Any relation to Kason Gabbard?

That's what happens when you take Jason Jennings and Kason Gabbard's numbers combined!!! :D

coach
03-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Texas Rangers...80-82
Houston Astros...71-91
***Rangers win the Silver Boot***

AL East: Boston Red Sox (92 wins)
AL Central: Cleveland Indians (98 wins)
AL West: California Angels (94 wins)
AL Wild Card: Detroit Tigers (97 wins)

NL East: NY Mets (93 wins)
NL Central: Chicago Cubs (89 wins)
NL West: San Diego Padres (90 wins)
NL Wild Card: Milwaukee Brewers (88 wins)

AL MVP - Magglio Ordonez, Tigers
AL Cy Young - Fausto Carmona, Indians
AL Comeback Player - Francisco Liriano, Twins

NL MVP - Matt Holiday, Rockies
NL Cy Young - Jake Peavy, Padres
NL Comeback Player - Matt Morris, Pirates

AL Playoffs
Boston Red Sox 3 Detroit Tigers 2
Cleveland Indians 3 California Angels 1

Cleveland Indians 4 Boston Red Sox 2

NL Playoffs
NY Mets 3 Milwaukee Brewers 1
Chicago Cubs 3 San Diego Padres 0

Chicago Cubs 4 NY Mets 2

World Series
It goes 7 games...and whomever has home field wins the 7th game!!! :)

Either way...one of the 2 longest World Series droughts will be broken. This will be the Cubs 100th season (1908) and the Indians 60th season (1948) since their respective clubs won a World Series.

nice predictions but who are the california angels

Adidas410s
03-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by coach
nice predictions but who are the california angels
The team I refuse to call the Los Angeles Angels of Anahiem! ;);)

eagles_victory
03-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Rangers 79-83
Astros 82-80

Rangers will win the Silver Boot after a 3-3 tie with the Rangers having the advantage in the run difference in the 6 games.

AL East: Boston (just too talented of a team not to do it)
AL Central: Cleveland
AL West: Seattle
AL Wild Card: LA Angels

Playoffs:

Angels over Boston in 5
Cleveland over Seattle in 5

Cleveland over Angels in 6.

Awards:

AL MVP: Grady Sizemore (Indians)- 5 tool player who will get a lot of press if he can lead the Indians to a Central title. Has the talent just has to develop it and put it on the field.
AL Cy Young: Erik Bedard (Mariners) - New division with a lot less offense then the East where he was with Baltimore. Plus he sees the Rangers a lot more and if anyone remembers last year thats good news for him. If Wedman kills the Tigers Bedard kills the Rangers.Plus Seattle plays in a good pitchers park.
AL Comeback Player of the Year: AJ Burnett (Blue Jays)

NL:

NL East : Phillies
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Padres
NL Wildcard: Brewers

Playoffs:

Padres over Brewers in 4
Phillies over Cubs in 4

Phillies over Padres in 6

Awards:

NL MVP: Prince Fielder (Brewers)
NL Cy Young: Brandon Webb (D Backs)
NL Comeback Player of the Year: Pedro Martinez (Mets)

World Series:

Indians over Phillies in 6.
MVP- Travis Hafner

Maroon87
03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
The Astros will win 85 games.

Adidas410s
03-04-2008, 12:33 PM
EV...I like the pics of Seattle and Philly. I wanted to take them...but the moves the Angels and Mets have made were too tough to overlook. Glad to see you went on a limb for me! ;)

Panther One
03-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Predicting Houston to win as many or less games than they did last year makes absolutely no sense at all. Zero. None. The Astros won 73 games last year with horrible pitching and one of the worst offenses in baseball. With the addition of Backe and Chacon to the rotation, the starting pitching will actually be improved over last year. I didn't say it would be great...just improved. Do we even need to discuss how much better the offense will be? Look for the Astros to score about 100 more runs this year. Defensively, the Astros have improved in CF and RF, but dropped off at SS. However, considering Everett missed the last 3.5 months of the season last year, the addition of Tejada at short is not a huge drop defensively from Loretta.

You can win games during the regular season with offense. Just look at the Phillies last year. Their pitching was actually worse than the Astros. If the Astros' pitching is even the same as last year, they'll win AT LEAST ten more games because of the improved offense. Houston lost 26 one-run games last year and another 12 two-run games. Out of those 38 games, the Astros scored 3 runs or less in 24 of them. The improved offense will make a difference.

crzyjournalist03
03-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Don't count on Backe or Chacon being any better than what was being run out there last year.

And that offense is getting older...it has the potential to be great, but they're one bad injury away from mediocrity.

cshscougar08
03-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Red Sox repeat for sure. Although the AL playoffs will be very interesting. Yes I do realize that Detroit is a lot better with the added pitching of Willis and hitting/fielding of Cabrera. But, names do not make a team. Their production does. After the Sox won the 2004 Series, we let Orlando Cabrera walk and signed Edgar Renteria. And we all know that that was a bunch of crap. Renteria sucked it up. So I will be watching to see how Detroit does with new faces that are really good. Team will be an interesting thing as well. New players = new egos and attention.

Bull19
03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Don't count on Backe or Chacon being any better than what was being run out there last year.

And that offense is getting older...it has the potential to be great, but they're one bad injury away from mediocrity.

:rolleyes: only a ranger fan would make such a stupid statment

crzyjournalist03
03-04-2008, 03:57 PM
whatever...you are the same guys who were saying the same thing last year about how the Astros would be better than everybody thought, and I should just wait and see, and I was dead on about them, and not a single one of you gave me credit. It's not like I dislike the Astros or anything; heck, I rooted them on all the way to the World Series back in '05.

But since I disagree with you, it's a stupid statement...geez...show some respect and class people...:rolleyes:

crzyjournalist03
03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
just for proof for those of you who think I'm crazy:

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62362&highlight=astros+rangers

You can say what you want about me being down on the Houston offense, but the truth of the matter is, as a Rangers fan, I've seen exactly what Houston is relying on this year fail time and time again in injured pitchers returning, hot prospects developing, and an aging middle of the lineup staying healthy.

I hope I'm wrong, because I sure would love to see a Texas team in contention this year, but I don't see either team making the playoffs.

Panther One
03-04-2008, 04:25 PM

Albers 4-11 5.86 ERA
Jennings 2-9 6.45 ERA

In Backe's first full season with the Astros, he was 10-8 with a 4.76 ERA. The next year, he was 3-2 with a 3.77 ERA before season ending elbow surgery. Coming back from the surgery last year, he was 3-1 with a 3.77 ERA and was not yet at 100%. I like his chances to be better than Albers and Jennings.

There's more uncertainty with Chacon because he's been a starter and reliever in his career and has mixed in good seasons with bad seasons, but I still like his odds of topping the performances of Albers and Jennings. If he doesn't work out, there is always Sampson, who was 7-9 with a 4.59 ERA last year...which, by the way, is better than Albers and Jennings.

As we've discussed before, the Astros lineup is far from old:

Matsui 32
Berkman 32
Tejada 31
Lee 31
Wigginton 30
Bourn 25
Pence 24
Towles 24

Since you think that is old, let's look at the ages of the league leaders from last year in the AL and NL:

American League

BA:
Ordonez 34
Suzuki 34
Polanco 32
Posada 36
Ortiz 32

HR:
A-Rod 32
Pena 29
Thome 37
Ortiz 32
Konerko 31

RBI:
A-Rod 32
Ordonez 34
Guerrero 32
Pena 29
Lowell 34

National League (More youthful)

BA:
Hollliday 28
Jones 35
Utley 29
Renteria 32
Ramirez 24

HR:
Fielder 23
Howard 28
Dunn 28
Holliday 28
Berkman 32

RBI:
Holliday 28
Howard 28
Lee 31
Cabrera 24
Fielder 23

Other notable "older" guys that managed to hit .300, hit 30 HR, or drive in 100 runs:

Jeter 33
Helton 34
Derek Lee 32
D. Young 34
M. Young 31
Vidro 33
Rowand 30
Sanchez 30
Kent 39
Beltran 30
Soriano 32
Hunter 32
Griffey 38
Dye 34
Guillen 32
Abreu 33
Hafner 30

Also, let's look at the Cubs, whom most think will win the Central. It appears that they are just as "old" as the Astros:

DeRosa 33
Soriano 32
Lee 32
Fukudome 30
Ramirez 29
Theriot 28
Soto 25
Pie 23

Almost every team would suffer from injuries. The Astros are not unique in that sense. I, however, actually think the Astros could withstand an injury better than most teams. They have three proven run producers and one up-and-comer. Should one go down, I think others can pick up the slack for a while. If everyone stays healthy, it should be one of the best offenses in baseball.

D_bird
03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I find it funny that no one on here is picking the Dodgers out of the NL West, they won 82 games last year, have a young team and they did hire Joe Torre as their manager. I believe that team will surprise a bunch of people.

crzyjournalist03
03-04-2008, 04:54 PM
First of all, I never said old...I said that they were aging...they're definitely not a young up and coming team; that's what I meant by that. Berkman, Tejada, Wigginton, Matsui, and Lee have all reached their peaks...some of them are still at their peak, but it's my personal belief that Tejada and Lee are on the downswing. Tejada hasn't been a power threat since steroid testing, and he's lost several steps over the past two years. Lee is becoming more and more of a defensive liability, and sooner or later, his legs are going to start affecting his swing. Maybe it's not this year, but it will be within the next couple.

Chacon had an ERA of 6.36 the last time he was a starter...there's a reason he's bounced back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen over his career. Backe may very well put up an ERA around 4, but it's disconcerting that he's made it past 67 innings exactly once in six big league seasons now. Even if he dominates for the first half of the season, the team is going to have to be very careful with him in the second half because his arm hasn't been through the strain of a full season as a starter in a few years.

Wandy Rodriguez is being asked to do an awful lot to step in and take a huge part in the rotation's success.

If everything goes right, the Astros should contend for the NL Central.

Unfortunately, everything rarely goes as planned, and if things don't, things could get pretty bad pretty quickly for Houston.

crzyjournalist03
03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Just for the record...my league-wide predictions:

AL West:
1. Los Angeles
2. Seattle
3. Texas
4. Oakland

AL Central:
1. Detroit
2. Cleveland*
3. Chicago
4. Minnesota
5. Kansas City

AL East:
1. Boston
2. New York
3. Toronto
4. Tampa Bay
5. Baltimore

NL West:
1. Arizona
2. San Diego
3. Los Angeles
4. Colorado
5. San Fransisco

NL Central:
1. Milwaukee
2. Chicago
3. Cincinnati
4. Houston
5. St. Louis
6. Pittsburgh

NL East:
1. New York
2. Atlanta*
3. Philadelphia
4. Washington
5. Florida

* = Wild Cards

Playoffs:

Boston over Cleveland in 5
Detroit over Los Angeles in 4
Boston over Detroit in 6

Atlanta over Arizona in 5
New York over Milwaukee in 3
Atlanta over New York in 7

Boston over Atlanta in 5

AL MVP: Manny Ramirez
NL MVP: Prince Fielder
AL Cy Young: Justin Verlander
NL Cy Young: Johan Santana
AL Rookie of the Year: Joba Chamberlain
NL Rookie of the Year: Kosuke Fukudome
AL Comeback Player of the Year: Fransisco Liriano
NL Comeback Player of the Year: Juan Gonzalez
AL Manager of the Year: Mike Scioscia
NL Manager of the Year: Bobby Cox

Panther One
03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Regarding Backe, here's his professional innings totals since he's been a pitcher, as he was an infielder prior to 01. This includes minors, majors, and postseason:

01: 72 innings (all relief)
02: 105 innings (14 starts)
03: 77.67 innings (2 starts)
04: 149.67 innings (18 starts)
05: 174.67 innings (27 starts)
06: 63 innings (12 starts)
07: 58.7 innings (11 starts)

The 05 season was his only full-time season as a full-time starter at the big league level. The 06 and 07 season numbers are the result of the same injury. In 06, he injured his elbow early, chose to rehab it and attempt a comeback, but ultimately went under the knife. That's what cut into his 07 numbers so much. In hindsight, he probably should have just had the surgery initially. Then he would have pitched at least half a season at the big league level last year. I think that's one reason Nieve went ahead and had surgery early last season. He should return to the Astros this year around May.

Obviously there are some concerns about guys coming off surgery, but with all of the Tommy John success stories, I think it's okay to take a positive outlook. Backe looked good in his return last year. I think he'll give the Astros around 160-180 innings this year.

crzyjournalist03
03-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for that info...I actually looked for that to see what Backe had done in the minors combined with his pro time and couldn't seem to find it. It's definitely more reassuring to me to see that he's done it more than once, so maybe he will be fine...I guess only time will tell.

eagles_victory
03-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
EV...I like the pics of Seattle and Philly. I wanted to take them...but the moves the Angels and Mets have made were too tough to overlook. Glad to see you went on a limb for me! ;) Im sure that limb will be broken and Ill look like a complete idiot sometime around July

jimmyceatworld
03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by rangerjim
Toss up between Detroit or Boston making it to the big dance.

Whoa!!! Let's not steal terms from other sports.

Panther One
03-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks for that info...I actually looked for that to see what Backe had done in the minors combined with his pro time and couldn't seem to find it. It's definitely more reassuring to me to see that he's done it more than once, so maybe he will be fine...I guess only time will tell.
Interesting story about one of the Astros' other position players turned pitcher...While Chris Sampson was out of baseball, he was coaching at Colin County Community College. One day, Sampson filled in for one of their pitchers during an intersquad game and struck out five of six hitters. It would ultimately lead to his return to baseball as a pitcher. The catcher that caught him that day was a freshman by the name of J.R. Towles. For those that don't follow the Astros, Towles is projected to be the Astros starting catcher this year.

Towles and Sampson first met up again at AAA Round Rock in a rehab start for Sampson. Towles has yet to catch him at the major league level, but that should change once the season gets underway. When he was called up, though, Sampson was the first to greet him. Towles replied with "Hey Coach."

big daddy russ
03-05-2008, 12:39 AM
just for proof for those of you who think I'm crazy:

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62362&highlight=astros+rangers

You can say what you want about me being down on the Houston offense, but the truth of the matter is, as a Rangers fan, I've seen exactly what Houston is relying on this year fail time and time again in injured pitchers returning, hot prospects developing, and an aging middle of the lineup staying healthy.

I hope I'm wrong, because I sure would love to see a Texas team in contention this year, but I don't see either team making the playoffs.
I'm a huge 'Stros fan but I'm with you on this being a down year. I don't think the offensive depth is all that bad (Loretta is a great contact hitter and Geoff Blum is back in the organization), but we'll struggle everywhere else.

Panther One
03-07-2008, 01:49 PM
I think I called it when the trade happened...there was indeed concern about the soreness in Patton's arm that led to the Astros shutting him down last season. It was a concern that Baltimore was well aware of when making the trade, but decided to made it anyway. Patton is undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery and will miss the entire season. I think many more Astros fans will view this trade differently now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3281512