PDA

View Full Version : Hockey - a useless sport?

spiveyrat
01-19-2004, 12:40 PM
If it could be played without all the fights, I would probably embrace it more. I just don't understand the need for all the fighting. Football is a very physical sport just like hockey is and you don't see near the fights. What do you think? Why all the fights?

Here's my inspiration for the topic...
Article (http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10829515&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512556&rfi=6)

3afan2K3
01-19-2004, 01:11 PM
The fights are awesome

JaSpErBuLLdOgDrUmMeRGaL06
01-19-2004, 01:58 PM
I think hockey's a pretty cool sport really...it's my 4th favorite. The fights, it does get annoying sometimes because they fight so much but that's just the way that sport's always been. It's just like a part of the sport they do, I never pay any attention to it anymore though...it really doesn't bother me. I don't know, just my opinion...bye bye! :)

poncho
01-19-2004, 02:15 PM
I don't watch hockey very much, but when I do the fighting doesn't bother me. Its part of the sport. Some people think football is to brutal. Personally I like physical sports, but I don't understand whats going on in hockey. :cool:

CatWoman
01-19-2004, 02:19 PM
I am a big Dallas Stars fan. A lot of the fighting is staged I believe, either that or they are terrible fighters because you never see them land a punch!!

PPHSfan
01-19-2004, 03:23 PM
If womens soccer were played on a soaking wet field, and they had more fighting, I might go watch a game. :D

3afan2K3
01-19-2004, 03:35 PM
CatWoman:
I am a big Dallas Stars fan. A lot of the fighting is staged I believe, either that or they are terrible fighters because you never see them land a punch!!What are you taling about they never land a punch?? Have you not seen them skate off with bloody mouths. Hopefully there will be a fight at the game Friday when I'm siiting 3 rows from the ice

CatWoman
01-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Sounds like fun!!

crzyjournalist03
01-19-2004, 06:13 PM
spiveyrat:
If it could be played without all the fights, I would probably embrace it more. I just don't understand the need for all the fighting. Football is a very physical sport just like hockey is and you don't see near the fights. What do you think? Why all the fights?

Here's my inspiration for the topic...
Article (http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10829515&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512556&rfi=6)people go to minor league games to see fights...kind of like wrestling...it's a marketing tool...in the NHL, there aren't as many fights as people think. Maybe one per game, but rarely are there more unless the teams have long histories of rivalry or something...I personally like the way that the NHL lets players settle things on the ice. You never have to read the trash talk in the media or hear about NHL players involved in murders or anything like that.

slpybear the bullfan
01-20-2004, 12:08 AM
Yeah, there is fighting in pro hockey... but the way to take care of business out on the ice is watch for your bird and take off flying down the ice and check him into the boards when he isn't looking. WOW! Talk about a knock-your-jock-off sport!

I love football; it will always be THE sport for me. But it is unreal how fast those skaters can go and that translates into some slobberknocking collisions... F = M * V

pirate4state
01-20-2004, 02:46 PM
slpybear the bullfan:
Yeah, there is fighting in pro hockey... but the way to take care of business out on the ice is watch for your bird and take off flying down the ice and check him into the boards when he isn't looking. WOW! Talk about a knock-your-jock-off sport!

I love football; it will always be THE sport for me. But it is unreal how fast those skaters can go and that translates into some slobberknocking collisions... F = M * VYep, nothing like a good check into the boards!! I especially like to see Scott Stevens (NJ Devils) play--he usually gets a clean, hard open ice hit!! AWESOME!! Darren Hatcher was always fun to watch along the boards. I haven't watched much hockey this season so I haven't seen any hits!! :( :D