PDA

View Full Version : Nobody talking bout baseball yet......?

BILLYFRED0000
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
How bout this then.

5 games in to season Celina 5 - 0
with 53 runs scored and four shutouts.
And before you ask yes we are playing other 3a teams.....

44INAROW
03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I don't have the official stats - just off the top of my head -

I think Cuero is 8-0 -

Cuero won the tourney weekend before last - averaging 15 runs a game. Sticks are hot - hope they can keep it up ;) Playing in the Schuenburg tourney this weekend and Medina Valley tourney the next

LH Panther Mom
03-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I guess you must've missed all the updates from the tournaments held this past weekend, along with numerous other threads. :confused:

BobcatBenny
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I guess you must've missed all the updates from the tournaments held this past weekend, along with numerous other threads. :confused:
Do you have any stats to back that up Mom? :p

BILLYFRED0000
03-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Do you have any stats to back that up Mom? :p

Hey Benny, just was no mention of Celina lately. Thought it was time to bring us up again. Cause next is 7 on 7 after base ball then its back to the oblong pigskin. Sides, we look pretty good on the diamond. Or with diamonds.

SintonFan_inAustin
03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
I guess you must've missed all the updates from the tournaments held this past weekend, along with numerous other threads. :confused: :)

LH Panther Mom
03-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Hey Benny, just was no mention of Celina lately. Thought it was time to bring us up again. Cause next is 7 on 7 after base ball then its back to the oblong pigskin. Sides, we look pretty good on the diamond. Or with diamonds.
Ohhhhhhhhhh.....so really you were concerned that no one is talking about CELINA?????? :doh: :p

44INAROW
03-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh.....so really you were concerned that no one is talking about CELINA?????? :doh: :p

evidently - no more baseball talk I guess :p

BILLYFRED0000
03-03-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't know. We lost at the state quarters last year. Our pitching may be a little better this year and our hitting looks tops again. I think we will run deep in the playoffs.

Antec
03-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Wharton is 2-4 and plays in Jersey Village Tournament beginning on Thursday.

Tigers went 1-2 in own tournament last week- losing to Boling on March 4

24-3A plays starts on March 18 and Wharton hosts Stafford

jayfan1
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
District 24 - 3A begins play on March 11th

Antec
03-03-2008, 08:19 PM
thats softball
Baseball starts next Tuesday

Antec
03-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Your right starts on March 11

I was ahead of myself thought this wa second week in March already

Weeks seem to run together

celinaorange
03-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Celina is now 10-0 after winning the Little Elm Tournament over this past week-end. They won 5 straight by beating 4A Denison 8-4 then Frisco Legacy (Private) 3-1 then Farmersville 3A 5-0 then Pottsboro 2A 14-0 and in the finals beat 4A Little Elm 14-6. They were scheduled to play Van Alstyne in the first district game tonight, but it has been rescheduled to tomorrow (Tuesday) at 4 pm in Celina weather permitting. Tonight's game was posponed due to the snow and bad weather. I think that district foe Frisco Wakeland (enrollment 1400+) is also undefeated. Celina is scheduled to play in the Denison tournament this week-end.

celinaorange
03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
excuse the misspelled word, postponed not posponed.

tigerpride_08
03-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Wharton is 2-4 and plays in Jersey Village Tournament beginning on Thursday.

Tigers went 1-2 in own tournament last week- losing to Boling on March 4

24-3A plays starts on March 18 and Wharton hosts Stafford

i think we're 2-6...but yes thursday we play against Westbury at 4, friday against Sam Rayburn at 4 and depending how we do in those 2 games, we'll be seeded for saturday's game...

jayfan1
03-04-2008, 07:30 AM
I know what you mean Antec about the weeks running together.
Getting closer to Spring Break!!

coachkiss
03-04-2008, 08:29 AM
While I would love to get super happy about Celina baseball, it irks me that we forfeited a game on Thursday so that we could go to a track meet.

I know that it was against a district opponent in a non-district tournament, and that we told Little Elm about the conflict before, but if the game is on the schedule, you play it.

Instead, we skip out to go to a sorry track meet in Prosper, and only 3-4 kids on the baseball team are even varsity level in track. Until the AD realizes that baseball is more popular in Celina, and track success doesn't always lead to football success, we will never be a powerhouse in baseball.

pancho villa
03-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Baseball is for limp wristed dit waterers, and slack jawed basepath rakers.

buff4life
03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Baseball is for limp wristed dit waterers, and slack jawed basepath rakers.

and school is for learning to talk in good english...looks like you might need to participate

celinaorange
03-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Celina's 1st district game (against Van Alstyne) has been postponed again until tomorrow (Wednesday) at 4:00 pm in Celina. And as for Celina and track and baseball and off-season and football and all other sports-----get used to it, it is not going to change-----and to disagree somewhat with a previous post. yes, track (off-season, summer 7 on 7) does lead to success on the football field, other sports may suffer some, but as I say, it is not going to change any time soon, so learn to live with it as I have (and support Butch and Bill 100%) since 1973.

VWG
03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
One sport shouldn't suffer because of another sport. You schedule the games, you play the games.
If only 3-4 varsity baseball kids ran track, where are their backups?

GWOOD
03-04-2008, 11:23 PM

They do play baseball in Celina and they are playing it very well. Have some real good kids on there - McCartney, Waldrep, and Merritt. I think I saw that they have 4 shutouts so far this year.

coachkiss
03-05-2008, 12:48 AM
I support them and I will continue to support them. However, it will change.

When kids who suit up but don't play varsity football can't play basketball or wrestle, eventually someone with deep pockets and an axe to grind will file a lawsuit.

When kids who want to play baseball have to go through football offseason, then track, then weights, then baseball, someone will file a lawsuit sooner or later.

For 15 years in a row, Celina won the district track meet. I don't think they have done it the last five years. Football success? It's still there, and maybe even better. Track doesn't create speed, per se. Track showcases speed.

As for kids on this team. There are some great ones. Just ask them how they felt about going to the track meet last week. In addition, ask their parents about it. Hell, ask some of the baseball coaches about it.

Things will change, good or bad, in the next few years. It's not me that needs to get used to it.

When two varsity sports coincide, it should be the kid's choice of which of the two he wants to participate in, not the AD/Head Football Coach. If you can't see that through your orange-tinted glasses, then you need help.

When I was in High School in Celina, we weren't allowed to have baseball for two of my four years. That changed, and we are still winning, and actually winning a little more.

As for 7-on-7, I will agree that there is probably a higher correlation between success in football and success in 7-on-7. However, how did it work out for Crane, this year's runner-up? Or Georgetown, the big school champion? Or Houston Stratford, the big school runner-up?

When you lay off the Kool-Aid, you will see that athletes and coaching=success, not powerlifting, not track, not prayer circles, not haybales painted orange, not lack of baseball, not Quarterback Club, not that the band played "Just a Closer Walk" during the 4th quarter. This is coming from a guy who makes a ton of QB Club meetings, attends and stands every game, goes to JV, Jr. High, Pee Wee games every week.

Don't go selling that things aren't going to change, because I ain't buying it.

hookandladder
03-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by coachkiss
I support them and I will continue to support them. However, it will change.

When kids who suit up but don't play varsity football can't play basketball or wrestle, eventually someone with deep pockets and an axe to grind will file a lawsuit.

When kids who want to play baseball have to go through football offseason, then track, then weights, then baseball, someone will file a lawsuit sooner or later.

For 15 years in a row, Celina won the district track meet. I don't think they have done it the last five years. Football success? It's still there, and maybe even better. Track doesn't create speed, per se. Track showcases speed.

As for kids on this team. There are some great ones. Just ask them how they felt about going to the track meet last week. In addition, ask their parents about it. Hell, ask some of the baseball coaches about it.

Things will change, good or bad, in the next few years. It's not me that needs to get used to it.

When two varsity sports coincide, it should be the kid's choice of which of the two he wants to participate in, not the AD/Head Football Coach. If you can't see that through your orange-tinted glasses, then you need help.

When I was in High School in Celina, we weren't allowed to have baseball for two of my four years. That changed, and we are still winning, and actually winning a little more.

As for 7-on-7, I will agree that there is probably a higher correlation between success in football and success in 7-on-7. However, how did it work out for Crane, this year's runner-up? Or Georgetown, the big school champion? Or Houston Stratford, the big school runner-up?

When you lay off the Kool-Aid, you will see that athletes and coaching=success, not powerlifting, not track, not prayer circles, not haybales painted orange, not lack of baseball, not Quarterback Club, not that the band played "Just a Closer Walk" during the 4th quarter. This is coming from a guy who makes a ton of QB Club meetings, attends and stands every game, goes to JV, Jr. High, Pee Wee games every week.

Don't go selling that things aren't going to change, because I ain't buying it.

Great Post, agree 100%.

kepdawg
03-05-2008, 11:32 AM
:eek:

celinaorange
03-05-2008, 08:22 PM
get it straight youngster, I am approaching 71 and beyond help, definitely drink kool-aid (and might add, nothing any stronger), definitely look through orange-colored glasses (and very proud of it), and definitely support the Celina Bobcats, and whatever decisions that our athletic department make comcerning our young men as that is what they are paid to do, and if that ruffles your britches and puts a wad in them, tuff----still ain't going to change a thing. As for baseball, Celina beat Van Alstyne in their first district game this afternoon 16-1. They will play 3 games in the Denison tournament this Friday and Saturday (weather permitting). They will play 4A Richardson Pearce, 4A Denison, and Powerhouse Silo (a team out of Oklahoma that beat them last year 1-0. Won't be able to play on Thursday because they are in a track meet.

celinaorange
03-05-2008, 08:24 PM
sorry misspelled another word--should be concerning not comcerning .

buff4life
03-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by celinaorange
get it straight youngster, I am approaching 71 and beyond help, definitely drink kool-aid (and might add, nothing any stronger), definitely look through orange-colored glasses (and very proud of it), and definitely support the Celina Bobcats, and whatever decisions that our athletic department make comcerning our young men as that is what they are paid to do, and if that ruffles your britches and puts a wad in them, tuff----still ain't going to change a thing. As for baseball, Celina beat Van Alstyne in their first district game this afternoon 16-1. They will play 3 games in the Denison tournament this Friday and Saturday (weather permitting). They will play 4A Richardson Pearce, 4A Denison, and Powerhouse Silo (a team out of Oklahoma that beat them last year 1-0. Won't be able to play on Thursday because they are in a track meet.

a new age is coming on where individual right are emphasized and parents and child complain much more and principals and coaches do not hold near the authority they used to...things will change guaranteed

buff4life
03-05-2008, 08:28 PM
not that i'm for this new age...but i think the track part should be a part of the offseason program, not a requirement to limit baseball players and make the baseball team schedule around it

Daddy D 11
03-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Let's all just take a deep breath and worry about our own school.....

and be glad we dont go to Celina:D

hehe

JR2004
03-05-2008, 08:55 PM

Winner, winner chicken dinner!

VWG
03-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by celinaorange

How do you feel about the kids that don't run track but play football and baseball?
"Decisions that concern young men"..... EXACTLY - all the young men of Celina HS, not just the track team. ALL THE YOUNG MEN in the Celina athletic department.

coachkiss
03-06-2008, 12:58 AM
I agree with buff4ever on this point.

A new age is coming. It is not I who needs to get used to it, but our elder statesman.

I'm glad I attended Celina. I'm glad my kids are attending Celina, but I don't have to agree with everything the ISD and athletic department does just because they are Celina.

What they do during the athletic period is their choice. As for after school, telling my son that he is going to run around the track a few times, then go do his weight workout, and then go play baseball, that's a different story.

I can agree with the weights. I can't agree with the track. The stamina he builds running a gut check in March is not going to translate to his ability to finish a game in December.

What if a scout was coming to watch a game, and a kid had to miss it to go run in a track meet? Do you think that would go well with his parents or the player? If there aren't enough other kids to form a complete track team, boo hoo. Track is an individual sport for the most part. Have the kids who want to run track, run track. Don't punish baseball because track is declining in popularity.

When I attended Celina, we were winning state championships in track, and not in football. Now, we can't win the district track meet, but we can win football championships.

At the same time, we are becoming a powerhouse in baseball, while at the same time we are winning football championships. It sounds to me like Coach Ford needs to drop track and have all the kids play baseball, because it seems to do more good for the football program than track ever did.

NastySlot
03-06-2008, 01:08 AM
track is just a form of offseason football we all know that or schools wouldn't have "B-team" track.......football and track go hand and hand in Texas always have and always well esp. in smaller classifications.............that's why you can start track practice anytime of the year...no true starting date set like other sports......also have wondered why the track coaches can run the summer track program but no other head coaches can coach their sport in their community or kids that have entered the seventh grade in attendence zone.

pancho villa
03-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
track is just a form of offseason football we all know that or schools wouldn't have "B-team" track.......football and track go hand and hand in Texas always have and always well esp. in smaller classifications.............that's why you can start track practice anytime of the year...no true starting date set like other sports......also have wondered why the track coaches can run the summer track program but no other head coaches can coach their sport in their community or kids that have entered the seventh grade in attendence zone.

Because Track is for football players, baseball is for standaround wimps!

c-town_balla
03-06-2008, 10:02 AM
I guess Cameron coaches just compromize....if baseball and track are both going on at the same time....it happens alot....then they go to track one week and then the next week they go to baseball....it easy and it works for everyone

NastySlot
03-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
I guess Cameron coaches just compromize....if baseball and track are both going on at the same time....it happens alot....then they go to track one week and then the next week they go to baseball....it easy and it works for everyone

It works well here also....off-season football/track during period...alternates...we are real lucky to have a strength and conditioning coach (prob...only true s&c coach in 3A next season..not a line coach with a title) baseball after school...with teh S&C coach he does all sports and has workouts for specific sports.......he's great we need to find money to keep him.

I_DONT_CARE
03-06-2008, 09:57 PM
SO WHICH ONE OF THESE "GREAT" TEAMS YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT ARE GOING TO WIN STATE? :rolleyes:

I_DONT_CARE
03-06-2008, 10:19 PM
I can agree with the weights. I can't agree with the track. The stamina he builds running a gut check in March is not going to translate to his ability to finish a game in December.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? DOES CONDITIONING NOT HELP WITH FOOTBALL? DOES CONDITIONING NOT HELP WITH BASEBALL OR BAKETBALL OR ANY OTHER SPORT?

coachkiss
03-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Yes, I'm serious. These kids are in good shape anyway. The stamina built in March doesn't translate to December.

NastySlot
03-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Yes, I'm serious. These kids are in good shape anyway. The stamina built in March doesn't translate to December.

but the work ethic does....as well as the commitment.

I_DONT_CARE
03-07-2008, 10:45 AM
HOW ARE THEY GETTING IN GOOD SHAPE? YEAH, I KNOW. IT'S CELINA. BUT THEY STILL NEED CONDITIONING THROUGH THE YEAR TO KEEP THEM THAT WAY, DO THEY NOT?

coachkiss
03-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Hey, if they went through offseason, weights, and then baseball, I think that is plenty to keep them in shape.

Running around the track doesn't add too much.

In addition, they are playing 7on7 in the summer, and running all over the place. Plus, they are playing summer baseball, summer basketball, and going through the conditioning program (IAP, etc.).

Just my opinion.

pancho villa
03-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey, if they went through offseason, weights, and then baseball, I think that is plenty to keep them in shape.

Running around the track doesn't add too much.

In addition, they are playing 7on7 in the summer, and running all over the place. Plus, they are playing summer baseball, summer basketball, and going through the conditioning program (IAP, etc.).

Just my opinion.

Your opinion is stupid!

VWG
03-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Your opinion is stupid!

stir, stir, stir, stir

kepdawg
03-07-2008, 02:24 PM
:eek:

pirate4state
03-12-2008, 10:54 AM
How bout this then.

5 games in to season Celina 5 - 0
with 53 runs scored and four shutouts.
And before you ask yes we are playing other 3a teams.....

Let's talk about Celina's loss last night to Princeton. 8-0 ---- what happened?

I_DONT_CARE
03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
MAYBE ANOTHER TRACK MEET? :thinking:

44INAROW
03-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Shut-out #5........ no wait - nevermind.........
(just having some fun ;) )

coachkiss
03-12-2008, 12:10 PM
I think the correct downlow terminology is that we got donkey-stomped.

The hit when they needed to, and they made pitches when it counted.

To be honest, we have two kids in the lineup that don't need to be in the lineup. However, we have no one better than them.

Our #1 pitcher didn't have it from the get-go. He couldn't hit his spots. We had passed balls, baserunning mistakes, etc.

If we play that way every game, we won't make the playoffs. But, I doubt we play that way every game.

kaorder1999
04-10-2008, 11:17 AM
what is Celina's record now?

I_DONT_CARE
04-10-2008, 11:29 AM
To be honest, we have two kids in the lineup that don't need to be in the lineup. However, we have no one better than them.

IF THERE IS NO ONE BETTER, WHAT WAS YOUR REASONING FOR POINTING OUT THEY DON'T BELONG THERE? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kaorder1999
04-10-2008, 11:30 AM
nevermind...found their District results on the Dallas Morning News site. Guess they still have a chance to make the playoffs but still have to play Wakeland again...ouch...

pirate4state
04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
nevermind...found their District results on the Dallas Morning News site. Guess they still have a chance to make the playoffs but still have to play Wakeland again...ouch...

and Lovejoy who they lost to in the 1st round of district play

kaorder1999
04-10-2008, 11:55 AM
March 5, 2008 * vs Van Alstyne W 16 - 1
March 11, 2008 * vs Princeton L 0 - 8
March 14, 2008 * at Frisco Liberty W 7 - 0
March 18, 2008 * vs Lovejoy L 1 - 5
March 21, 2008 * at Prosper W 4 - 1
March 25, 2008 * vs Bonham W 5 - 4
March 28, 2008 * vs Frisco Wakeland L 6 - 15
April 1, 2008 * at Van Alstyne W 10 - 2
April 4, 2008 * at Princeton L 1 - 3