PDA

View Full Version : Driving Across Texas

coach
03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
This weekend i drove from nacogdosches to san antonio and all the way back...talk about a long drive and a big state...whats the longest you have driven without leaving the state?

nobogey72
03-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by coach
This weekend i drove from nacogdosches to san antonio and all the way back...talk about a long drive and a big state...whats the longest you have driven without leaving the state?

I left Corpus (actually Port Aransas) one day about 2:00 PM, and got back to abilene about 8:00. Got up the next morning and had to be in Amarillo by 10:00 so I left at 5:00 AM. I don't know exactly how far that was but it was pretty much from far south to far north. :)

coach
03-03-2008, 11:07 AM
the thing about mine was i had to stop in fairfield on the way there and back so it was kind of out of the way

LH Panther Mom
03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
I'd have to check mileage, but here's the two that come to mind.

Liberty Hill to the Oklahoma border North of Dalhart......

Crosbyton to Port Aransas....

pirate4state
03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Left from Sinton at 8pm and made it to Van Horn before I couldn't take it anymore and had to stop for some sleep, it was 5am!! Got up around 10am and it was after 1pm (maybe longer) when I finally got to El Paso and outside the state line. :eek: :crazy1:

Adidas410s
03-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Lubbock to Galveston...578 miles in a day
Abilene to Amarillo and back...568 miles in a day
Abilene to Gruene (New Braunfels) and back...486 miles in a day

My house to my work and back...104 miles in a day! :(

Reds fan
03-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Houston to El Paso, talk about the definition of eternity...:eek:

KingRob
03-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Houston to Nuevo Laredo (back when it was kinda safe). After Freer there was nothing, and I mean nothing! It was at night and there were no other car lights or house lights, or nothing. Kinda spooky.

Cuero - San Juan. As a kid we would make this trip once a year, and it was god awful. Dad smoking in the car, country music for 4 hours straight, 3 kids fighting for a window seat. Plus my sister would always get car sick. Oh the memories....

DU_stud04
03-03-2008, 12:10 PM
arlington to bastrop 225
bastrop to sweetwater 294 miles
sweetwater to arlington 204 miles
arlington to sweetwater 204 miles.

drove 927 miles that day.... left to austin at 1 arrived in sweetwater again then next day at 1 after sleeping and taking my last final early that morning.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-03-2008, 12:11 PM
My longest trek has been from College Station to San Antonio. Not really that far, but it seemed like it took forever for an impatient person such as myself.

Old Tiger
03-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Rockdale-Orange

Rockdale- El Paso

Rockdale-Texarkana

88bobcats
03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Orange, Texas to Amarillo, Texas

It's about 675 miles.....but it's even longer when you count all the stops for the kids!

BreckTxLonghorn
03-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Austin to Rowlett to Texarkana to Nacogdoches back to Austin with multiple stops at little places along the way.

1004 miles in 24 hours--no stopping, just changing drivers. I LOVED college scavenger hunts.:cool:

Old Tiger
03-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Austin to Rowlett to Texarkana to Nacogdoches back to Austin with multiple stops at little places along the way.

1004 miles in 24 hours--no stopping, just changing drivers. I LOVED college scavenger hunts.:cool: How long ago was this? Hard to do that with $3 gas.

BreckTxLonghorn
03-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Fall of 2002. WAYYYY before the gas hikes; we were in a Chevy 1500 Silverado too, so it wasn't like we took the most economical of cars.

Bull's-eye
03-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan

Done that once and never again. After you get to Kerville, there isn't much to look at. Isn't that about 750 miles?

AP Panther Fan
03-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Aransas Pass to Study Butte (Big Bend). According to Map Quest is was 625.71 miles and takes 9 hours and 41 minutes.

It took us longer, much longer. Hell, we had a flat on the trailer we were pulling before we even got to Sinton and then the entire trip was one problem after another....:speech:

big daddy russ
03-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
How long ago was this? Hard to do that with $3 gas.
It wasn't all that long ago that gas was $1.30. What was it, '04 when prices shot up?

Back in 1998, when I was a senior, gas prices were regularly less than $.80 a gallon. There was a Race Trac out in Calallen (where my girlfriend at the time lived) that regularly had it for $.59 a gallon when prices dipped.

My longest trip was from Ingleside to Presidio, with a detour through Del Rio. Did that a couple of times during spring break.

Ingleside-Del Rio 311 miles (according to RandMcNally.com)
Del Rio-Presidio 290 miles
TOTAL 601 miles

Ingleside to Hale Center (north of Lubbock) where some family lives is close at 584 miles, but that goes to show you how big Texas is. We've driven farther and still been in state, but kept going. The closest we've come to our longest complete in-state trip was coming back from skiing one year, we stopped at Carlsbad Caverns then back tracked to Alamogordo before driving down through El Paso. From El Paso to Ingleside is 711 miles.

LionKing
03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I own a trucking company, not hard to put 5,000-7,000 miles a week on a truck with two drivers just running in Texas.

STANG RED
03-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Just for grins I map quested a few places.

Texarcana to El Paso - 815.87
El Paso to Port Arthur - 837.68
Texline to Port Isabel - 941.93 :eek:
Texline to Port Arthur - 809.74
Port Isabel to Texarcana - 735.66

*Texline is furthest most north west town in Texas.

nobogey72
03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Just for grins I map quested a few places.

Texarcana to El Paso - 815.87
El Paso to Port Arthur - 837.68
Texline to Port Isabel - 941.93 :eek:
Texline to Port Arthur - 809.74
Port Isabel to Texarcana - 735.66

*Texline is furthest most north west town in Texas.

That got me to thinking. I mapquested to see how far it was from Hermeleigh to Ira, and I must have spelled Hermeleigh wrong because they didn't have anything for me.:confused:

injuredinmelee
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan

Been there done that and it was brutal.

STANG RED
03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
That got me to thinking. I mapquested to see how far it was from Hermeleigh to Ira, and I must have spelled Hermeleigh wrong because they didn't have anything for me.:confused:

You did. It's Hermleigh goofy. :p

And according to yahoo maps it's 21.49 miles. But thats going up to Snyder, then back down. It's probably less than 15 by the beer drinkin back roads I know.;)

SteelerCzy
03-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I used to live in Orange, the eastern most city along I-10 and in the early 90's I was Stationed at Ft. Bliss in El Paso. I made several long trips across the state and back for visits home.

SUPERMANN5107
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Freshman year I went on a trip to South Padre. 615 miles in a yellow dog. With no a/c. It was brutal

eppy 12
03-03-2008, 05:15 PM
This weekend i drove from nacogdosches to san antonio and all the way back...talk about a long drive and a big state...whats the longest you have driven without leaving the state? el paso to beaumont and back to dallas.........

Old Tiger
03-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It wasn't all that long ago that gas was $1.30. What was it, '04 when prices shot up?

Back in 1998, when I was a senior, gas prices were regularly less than $.80 a gallon. There was a Race Trac out in Calallen (where my girlfriend at the time lived) that regularly had it for $.59 a gallon when prices dipped.

My longest trip was from Ingleside to Presidio, with a detour through Del Rio. Did that a couple of times during spring break.

Ingleside-Del Rio 311 miles (according to RandMcNally.com)
Del Rio-Presidio 290 miles
TOTAL 601 miles

Ingleside to Hale Center (north of Lubbock) where some family lives is close at 584 miles, but that goes to show you how big Texas is. We've driven farther and still been in state, but kept going. The closest we've come to our longest complete in-state trip was coming back from skiing one year, we stopped at Carlsbad Caverns then back tracked to Alamogordo before driving down through El Paso. From El Paso to Ingleside is 711 miles. Why has gas prices shot up exactly?

LH Panther Mom
03-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Why has gas prices shot up exactly? :doh: :doh:

coach
03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
i forgot to mention that i had a nagging girl friend ridding with me..that should out at east 100 more moles to the trip

big daddy russ
03-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Why has gas prices shot up exactly?
I blame the Jews and the KKK.

JHS_c/o_06'
03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
i made a road trip this christmas

i went from san antonio to Lubbock, from Lubbock to Dallas, from Dallas to Jasper, From Jasper to the Woodlands and from the Woodlands to San Antonio and from SA to Austin. 1500 miles.

CHS_CG
03-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Coming back from Oregon

El paso to Caldwell.. :( Talk about alot of nothing for a while!

Caldwell to Sweetwater

Caldwell to South Padre Island

OnceABucJr
03-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Sinton to Dallas for daughter's softball tournament then straight to El Paso on way to Los Angeles for another sb tournament. Wouldn't have done the 2,000+ miles if not for business also. Of course, then the 1,500 mile drive back to Sinton! That was in 2003 so gas was half today's price!!!!!!!!!

lepfan
03-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Midland/Odessa to Powderly ... then I did jump across the river for a bit!

mwynn05
03-03-2008, 11:34 PM
i forgot to mention that i had a nagging girl friend ridding with me..that should out at east 100 more moles to the trip ill be sure that comment gets back to her lol

Footballhudini
07-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Kingsville to Childress.

Not cool

sinton66
07-04-2008, 05:42 PM

El Paso to Corpus Christi (non-stop).
Corpus Christi to Amarillo. (one stop for the night in San Angelo)

Diocletian
07-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I drove from Corpus Christi to Dallas for a job conference.. then back to Corpus after the conf...2 weeks later drove to Buffalo TX to start the new job, and a month later drove back to Corpus for a better job, nice long venture for just a few weeks and saw much of East TX of which I've never seen before.

IHStangFan
07-04-2008, 08:41 PM
That's a hard one....I've left from so many different places headed so many different places....Ingleside to Anthony on my way to AZ.....Pearland to Vernon on my way to OK, Pearland to Dalhart on my way out to Colorado and then Wyoming. Blah Blah Blah. I could make Tombstone, AZ from Corpus and/or Houston in 14-16 hours (once under 14 hours) and 11-12 hours of that was Texas.

hawkfan
07-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Athens to Texline-Don't ask me how far it was.

zebrablue2
07-04-2008, 09:15 PM
I worked a playoff game in stephenville a couple of yrs ago. from bellville there and back in one day seemed like forever. about 9 hrs of driving time, round trip..

Antec
07-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Wharton to Borger for a job interview in the mid 1980s

A different world- saw my first prairie dogs.

Felt like I was in the middle of no where

stopped in Plainview on the way back

Didnt take the job

bccards
07-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Bridge City to Van Horn on IH-10 721 mi – about 10 hours 8 mins early last year.. Thankfully once you get west of San Antonio, the speed limit picks up to 80mph ;)

sinfan75
07-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Sinton to El Paso, Sinton to Midland, Sinton to Gainesville and back (done that several times), Sinton to Texas Motor Speedway twice a year.

espn1
07-05-2008, 10:25 AM
I drive from Austin to Amarillo all the time it sucks. Hopefully Wednesday will be my last time. I've driven from Houston to Long Beach CA in 26 hours. Too old to do it now.

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Drove 584 mi – about 9 hours from Vernon to Kingsville to watch my son play football (SE Oklahoam versus Texas A&M Kingsville in a Division II first round playoff game). Was a great game but we lost.

Gobbla2001
07-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Port Lavaca to Dallas... Port Lavaca to Ft. Worth.. in one day Port Lavaca to Goliad, Goliad to SA, SA to San Marcos, San Marcos to Bay City, Bay City back to Goliad, Goliad back to Port Lavaca... gas wasn't as high but we'da had to do it anyway, lot of stuff to do that day...

Out of the blue road trip when gas wasn't as expensive I decided to go to Bass Pro in Katy... then decided to go to Cabelas in Buda after that, then drove around the Hill Country for about 3 hours then headed back home...

Chief Woodman
07-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Ft Worth to Port Isabel and back...in one day. You do the math, I am too worn out to think about it.

Necks_Fan
07-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Although this is out of state, My aunt and I drove from Angleton to Kansas City, MO.

15 hr drive.

I will NEVER do that agin.

I stick to the airplanes from now on.

Trashman
07-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Two trips come to mind; Brownwood to Eagle Pass and back in one day to inspect some heavy equipment. Was trying to save my employer money; won't do that again. Brownwood to San Antonio to Ft. Worth to Cisco to Brownwood to pickup some equipment. Don't know how far those two trips are but by the end of the day my mules were kickin.

IHStangFan
07-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Although this is out of state, My aunt and I drove from Angleton to Kansas City, MO.

15 hr drive.

I will NEVER do that agin.

I stick to the airplanes from now on. ah come on...I remember about 2 years ago, at my old employer...I got in the truck in Pearland, drove to Rock Springs, WY, got outa the truck and started working (after driving 21 hours straight through) :D

IHStangFan
07-05-2008, 09:57 PM
other drives worth nothing....

Augusta, GA to Rose Bud, AR ......just over 8 hours. (700 miles) Also stopped at the airport in Atlanta just long enough for a buddy to roll out the door of the car.

Anchorage, AK to Ingleside, TX....4497 miles...........in 4 days flat.

Sierra Vista, AZ to Ingleside, TX..... 13h 32m

Something tells me I missed my calling as a long-haul trucker. :D

pooch
07-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Royse City - El Paso

Livingston - Amarillo: plenty o' times

Nacodoches - Amarillo: plenty o' times

Woodville - San Marcos

got plans to walk from Denison to Port Isabel

Gobbla2001
07-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Since we have an outta-state flaver now, my longest drive would have to be Austin to Stillwater, Minnesota... The ride up was a late start, stayed the night in Kansas City because we had some stuff to do there the next day, made it to Stillwater later that day... on the way back we made pretty good time... coulda made it back to Austin around 3 AM-ish but we decided we'd do some runnin' round in Southern OK the next day...

Other than that just my two trips to AZ...

Johnny 5
07-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Stratford to Rio Hondo 849 miles.

It was on the way back from my central plains tour road trip.

Necks_Fan
07-06-2008, 07:30 AM

^

Wow.

Lol.

mac77
07-06-2008, 09:29 AM
This thread reminds me of an incident when I was stationed at Ft. Hood. Had this Yankee from Jersey ask me about traveling from Ft. Hood to Corpus to take his family to the beach. I told him what I thought was the best way to go and asked him if they were going down for the long weekend that was coming up. He said they were going to go down for the day and come back that evening. He got irritated when I began laughing. I told him he better plan on pulling up to the beach and having a look see and then starting back cause that was about as long as he would have time for. He didn't believe how far it was to CC. The following Monday I asked him how was the beach and he said they didn't make it and spent the day in San Antonio. He realized how long it was going to take when he got to SA and they had been driving for over two hours already.

Them Yankees just don't realize how big Texas is until they get here and start driving.

hawkfan
07-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
other drives worth nothing....

Believe it or not, but I could probably enjoy every single minute of that.

Necks_Fan
07-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by hawkfan
Believe it or not, but I could probably enjoy every single minute of that. Haha! Lmao!

Your sig is too funny!

:clap:

Oh man, that's bad.

IHStangFan
07-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan

^

Wow.

Lol. drove it non-stop...well there were actually two of us, LOL. Uncle Rick drove to Wyoming, I drove from there to Texas. True story.

IHStangFan
07-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan
Believe it or not, but I could probably enjoy every single minute of that. it was awesome. you wouldn't believe the distance between towns up there. there were times that I thought to myself "if we run outa gas, we're gonna die." There was one gas station in ....I don't remember if it was still in Alaska or if we'd crossed into the Yukon, but they had a "Texas Polar Bear" mounted in the store.......they had taken a ground squirrel and dyed it white, LOL. Then there was the road sign forrest.....I THINK that was in Whitehorse...but not sure. Talk about some beautiful scenery. Believe it or not the Al-Can highway was, at that time still largely unpaved (That was the summer of 1995). The wide unpaved gravel parts were actually the best parts. You could FLY down them. The paved parts were the worst and sometimes would have you driving 30mph as to not damage your vehicle. During the spring thaw the roads would buckle and crack. SO....as stated above, the paved portions were the worst. Anyway, I've rattled enough. :) Thanks for listening.

ProudHornetMom
07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
It's not the longest we've traveled in Texas but we just got back from Louisiana and took a long way back. We had never been to Jasper and Woodville so saw some new territory that made us realize how big Texas is and we only drove a fraction of it.

I didn't realize the area around Jasper was so pretty.

Many years ago, traveled from Electra, Texas to Fort Stockton and on to Big Bend, spent 1 night and drove back to Electra. Younger days and cheaper gas.

j_dog
07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
I didn't realize the area around Jasper was so pretty.
Thank you for the testimonial. :) What you saw is why they call Jasper "Jewel of the Forest".

lion75
07-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Denton to South Padre Island