PDA

View Full Version : Just Pre-ordered this New Bat!

espn1
03-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I just ordered this new bat for my 8 year old. I get wait until he gets it into his hands.

Miken Heat! (http://www.justbats.com/products/detail_view.asp?i=7275)

Emerson1
03-02-2008, 06:39 PM
$300 for a bat for an 8 year old?

eagles_victory
03-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
$300 for a bat for an 8 year old? x2

Old Tiger
03-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Nice bat! Back when I played I used this bat.

http://i7.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/de/21/21ce_1.JPG

espn1
03-02-2008, 06:49 PM
We play in the Round Rock area! Both my 8 & 9 year olds play about 54 games a year. They're both good hitters. My 8 year old is averaging 1 to 2 hr's per game in coach pitch. Good equipment is essential. This bat will last him for 2 years. We'll probably start playing on a select Team next season.

Old Tiger
03-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by espn1
We play in the Round Rock area! Both my 8 & 9 year olds play about 54 games a year. They're both good hitters. My 8 year old is averaging 1 to 2 hr's per game in coach pitch. Good equipment is essential. This bat will last him for 2 years. We'll probably start playing on a select Team next season. Yall play at OSP?

espn1
03-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Yes we do! We're starting to travel a little more around the area. G'town, Cedar Park, Leander.

Old Tiger
03-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Yes we do! We're starting to travel a little more around the area. G'town, Cedar Park, Leander. They have a great set up there. That mini dell diamond is a good looking field. My little cousins team placed 4th in the national tournament they held there

Bull's-eye
03-02-2008, 07:05 PM

It will be a good investment if he gets a college scholarship or goes Pro! ESPN1 will save lots of $$ on tuition. :clap:

coach
03-02-2008, 07:13 PM
they only way to go is easton bats

c-town_balla
03-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I have a Miken Burn and its pretty good....it feels almost to woody tho....the only was to go imo is TPX EXO

sinton66
03-02-2008, 07:27 PM

I think you're looking at the wrong one. The youth bat is farther down the page at $249.

DU_stud04
03-02-2008, 08:06 PM
my coaches thought i was weird.... i used wooden bat till i got to high school, didn't like the feel of aluminum...then coach told me i wouldn't play unless i used aluminum. :( i cried for weeks.

eagles_victory
03-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
It will be a good investment if he gets a college scholarship or goes Pro! ESPN1 will save lots of $$ on tuition. :clap: Good point because you here the pro superstars say everyday " Well I just wouldnt be here if it wasnt for the bat I had when I was 8 years old"

espn1
03-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I think you're looking at the wrong one. The youth bat is farther down the page at $249. It depends on what league you play in. I want a bat that has a 2 5/8 barrel. That's why I got a -10. The youth bats have a 2 1/4 in. barrel.

espn1
03-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
I have a Miken Burn and its pretty good....it feels almost to woody tho....the only was to go imo is TPX EXO
We use these on the team also. Awsome bat! I think for a younger smaller player this Heat might be better. Because of the R900 Carbon Fiber technology. It's a gamble, we'll have to see. He's using a Omaha and a Demarini Vexum right now. The sweet spot on the vexum is too small. He's killing it with the Omaha. He hit three Homer's this weekend. It should have been 4 but the coach held him up on 3rd.

c-town_balla
03-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah....The miken feels too much like a non-aluminum bat....like if you were to use the Stealth Comp it feels aluminum....but the Mikens are still good

if I had to rate the current bat crop

1. Air Exo
2. Exo
3. Stealth Comp Stiff flex
4. Vexxum/Voodoo
5. Miken

Rocket Dad
03-03-2008, 08:56 AM
54 games a year for 8-9 year old boys is insane. College level ball players are just above that number. 8-9 year olds should play 15-20 games a year, spend time riding bikes, fishing, going to grandmas', church, flying kites, summer camp, etc.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
54 games a year for 8-9 year old boys is insane. College level ball players are just above that number. 8-9 year olds should play 15-20 games a year, spend time riding bikes, fishing, going to grandmas', church, flying kites, summer camp, etc.

Or spend time in the weight room training for a real sport like football....or hopscotch. :mad:

Rocket Dad
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
8 and 9 year olds are too young to lift weights, pay attention.

themsu97
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
How much for a bat for a 8 year old?

How many games?

absolutely insane is what that is... my son is pretty good and there is no way I would spend that much money on glove, shoes, pants and a bat...

he plays 20-25 games a year and that is all... he has been asked to play select and we say no way...

too many bad effects... and honestly... the word select needs to go away because it is really no longer select... you got the $$$$, you can play... select really died in the late 90's...

I will not let my son throw a curve and there are already 4-5 9 year olds who throw curves... I tell those parents that they are insane... ( not that you are ESPN)... but too many parents are in for the win now mentality... at 8,9, 10, 11, 12, it is not about winning... it is about getting better...
drop a tire in the back yard and let your kid take 30-40 whacks at that a day... worked for Berkman, Bagwell, Biggio, ARod, so it can work for my kid as well... not that he would ever be that good...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
8 and 9 year olds are too young to lift weights, pay attention.

Apparently you didn't read the whole hopscotch part, because I was being very sarcastic. Who does hopscotch anyways?

NastySlot
03-03-2008, 10:26 AM
i was just wondering how far is the fence that your son is hitting it over........and how big is he? avg or bigger then most his age?.......i personally think that's too much to spend on an eight year old...and 50 plus games is a lot for a 8 year old.......the kerrville paper did a great series on tournament/aau/select sports and the pressures it places on kids.........compared some seasons kids play to that of major league or pros.

hey enjoy your kids and give them the things you want....before you know it they will be grown and in college...got one in college and a daughter that's a freshman....

Gp83
03-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Nice bat...I just bought my 11 year old an Exo Grid.

88bobcats
03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Apparently you didn't read the whole hopscotch part, because I was being very sarcastic. Who does hopscotch anyways?

Isn't this one of the 1976 East German hopscotch champions?

http://www.notinat.com.es/images/noticies/Image/2007-02/KorneliaEnder3.jpg

I know there were allegations of steroid use.....or was that in swimming?

Adidas410s
03-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
too many bad effects... and honestly... the word select needs to go away because it is really no longer select... you got the $$$$, you can play... select really died in the late 90's...

I will not let my son throw a curve and there are already 4-5 9 year olds who throw curves... I tell those parents that they are insane... ( not that you are ESPN)... but too many parents are in for the win now mentality... at 8,9, 10, 11, 12, it is not about winning... it is about getting better...
drop a tire in the back yard and let your kid take 30-40 whacks at that a day... worked for Berkman, Bagwell, Biggio, ARod, so it can work for my kid as well... not that he would ever be that good...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Select baseball is horrible for young kids. Reasons why:

- Kids don't need to be leading off and stealing bases. They're too young to properly learn how to slide...and this can cause some nasty injuries. While umpiring in LL, I saw a kid snap his leg because his coach had him steal on a passed ball and he didn't know how to slide. Put kids in a league where they can lead off...steals go up...injuries go up!
- 50 games a year??? That's ridiculous. Playing 15 games/year + all-stars and/or city championships is enough. Having kids travel to games, playing in multiple leagues quickly pushes this number even higher. Participation numbers are down in youth baseball. Running these kids ragged just burns them out on the game at a young age...and that's never good for the sport.
- They allow bats bigger than 2 1/4". ESPN indicated that he wanted a 2 5/8" bat for his son. 1...why is an 8 yr old kid swinging a -10 bat??? Unless we're talking about a 28/18 or 29/19...then there is no need for it even in a league dumb enough to allow that size of a bat at that age. 32/22 is just way too much. I guess he missed this part of the bat's review: "This bat is designed for players between 13 and 15 years of age." 2...not to sound like a parent (I'm not one) but are you trying to get somebody seriously injured out there? The larger the sweet spot, the faster (on average) we can expect a ball to come off the bat from a hit within the sweet spot. This just further increases the risk of serious injury to an EIGHT YEAR OLD BOY!!!
- The wear and tear on a kid's arm can cause serious injuries. The stories you hear of HS kids (and sometimes younger) having to have Tommy John Surgery from playing baseball all have one oftwo common denominator...trying/learning to throw breaking pitches and select baseball.

I applaud Little League for doing their part to take care of kids' arms. The pitch count rule was long past needed. They knew they couldn't keep parents/coaches from having kids throwing a few hundred pitches a week in multiple leagues/teams/etc...but at least they could do their part. Yes it likely means that a kid won't be able to finish 6 innings...but they're concerned about the safety of the players in the long run as well as being able to enjoy the game now. Additionally, in 2009 they're requiring that all bats have a BPF (Bat Performance Factor) of under 1.15. Essentially, this is a measurement of how fast the ball comes off the bat. The bat that espn1 is buying his son would not be allowed in LL. It's too fast and the barrel is too big.

Remember...the game is about the kids...not the parents. Somehow along the way...this gets overlooked for way too many parents. As much as I love baseball and grew up with a glove on my hand...I'm afraid to get my kid(s) involved in it. Too many baseball dads are turning into soccer moms.

Ok...rant over...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I think you should invest in a chess set for these children. The game of chess will bring years of enjoyment, they will never grow out of it, and they will be the coolest kids on the block.

NastySlot
03-03-2008, 11:59 AM
no joke but one of the best investments to develop hand/eye coordination is a ping pong table....some of the best baseball players i've been around playing with or coaching were all good ping pong players....head/eye.

coachkiss
03-03-2008, 12:47 PM
It's pretty much the same old tired rhetoric for the people who are down on baseball...

1. Kids don't have a place to play pickup games like we used to. Many kids in the 60s and 70s and early 80s might play 5 games on a summer day. No one cared about them or their arms. To get that kind of outlet for kids, you have to play in a select league.

2. Curve balls can be thrown where they don't damage arms....it's also called a slip pitch.

3. Why did everyone become so protective of kids' arms? Does anyone care about the basketball players' knees? There are more severe injuries in basketball than baseball, but the tub-thumpers seem to have a problem with baseball only.

4. If he wants to spend that money on a bat for the kid, it is his money. I bought my son a good Easton Stealth off of Ebay for a third of the cost, and it does him well. Is his bat better? Sure. However, he doesn't complain about how much you spend on your son's deer rifle?

buff4ever
03-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Select baseball is horrible for young kids. Reasons why:

- Kids don't need to be leading off and stealing bases. They're too young to properly learn how to slide...and this can cause some nasty injuries. While umpiring in LL, I saw a kid snap his leg because his coach had him steal on a passed ball and he didn't know how to slide. Put kids in a league where they can lead off...steals go up...injuries go up!
- 50 games a year??? That's ridiculous. Playing 15 games/year + all-stars and/or city championships is enough. Having kids travel to games, playing in multiple leagues quickly pushes this number even higher. Participation numbers are down in youth baseball. Running these kids ragged just burns them out on the game at a young age...and that's never good for the sport.
- They allow bats bigger than 2 1/4". ESPN indicated that he wanted a 2 5/8" bat for his son. 1...why is an 8 yr old kid swinging a -10 bat??? Unless we're talking about a 28/18 or 29/19...then there is no need for it even in a league dumb enough to allow that size of a bat at that age. 32/22 is just way too much. I guess he missed this part of the bat's review: "This bat is designed for players between 13 and 15 years of age." 2...not to sound like a parent (I'm not one) but are you trying to get somebody seriously injured out there? The larger the sweet spot, the faster (on average) we can expect a ball to come off the bat from a hit within the sweet spot. This just further increases the risk of serious injury to an EIGHT YEAR OLD BOY!!!
- The wear and tear on a kid's arm can cause serious injuries. The stories you hear of HS kids (and sometimes younger) having to have Tommy John Surgery from playing baseball all have one oftwo common denominator...trying/learning to throw breaking pitches and select baseball.

I applaud Little League for doing their part to take care of kids' arms. The pitch count rule was long past needed. They knew they couldn't keep parents/coaches from having kids throwing a few hundred pitches a week in multiple leagues/teams/etc...but at least they could do their part. Yes it likely means that a kid won't be able to finish 6 innings...but they're concerned about the safety of the players in the long run as well as being able to enjoy the game now. Additionally, in 2009 they're requiring that all bats have a BPF (Bat Performance Factor) of under 1.15. Essentially, this is a measurement of how fast the ball comes off the bat. The bat that espn1 is buying his son would not be allowed in LL. It's too fast and the barrel is too big.

Remember...the game is about the kids...not the parents. Somehow along the way...this gets overlooked for way too many parents. As much as I love baseball and grew up with a glove on my hand...I'm afraid to get my kid(s) involved in it. Too many baseball dads are turning into soccer moms.

Ok...rant over...

I couldn't agree more than I do with you. I am glad you typed it b/c I didn't feel like it. It has become an illness for sure. And I grew up all about athletics and still am all about athletics.

nobogey72
03-03-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm going to get on my soapbox for a minute. I am a baseball freak. Played all the way through, including 4 yrs of college, and then had the time of my life coaching my boys through Sr. League. One truth that I come to learn after 24 yrs of parenting is that the #1 desire of any kid, whether conciously or subconciously, is ----- THE APPROVAL OF HIS OR HER PARENTS! We may think that they are obsessed with baseball, or football or whatever, but IMO the root of that obsession or love is that is how they gain our approval. Some of them may actually love playing 50 or 60 baseball games in a summer, but I am convinced that there are many that are doing so for the approval of their parents or because their parents are so excited about it and they don't want to disappoint them. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with the long schedules in any youth sport, I just know that not every kid that appears to LOVE IT, actually does. I know that I have been guilty of wanting my kids to love something as much as I did, and I was only fooling myself to think that they did.

espn1
03-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Both my boys play because they want to. They both make A's and sometimes a B or two. The 54 games includes fall and spring ball. They also do a lot of rock climbing. Mostly the indoor type. I belay for them. My 9 year old will probably cut back on baseball next year because he dives at UT and there's not enough time for him to study and do everything he needs to do. I will probably be pulling them from public school to free up a little more time. That is if things keep going well and I can afford a good private Christian school. I give my kid's nothing but support. If they wanted to quit baseball tomorrow I'd let them. My kids like to keep busy so I'll let them do what they want. Also to clear things up he's not hitting the ball over the fence. He's making it to the fence. He rounds the bases before they can throw the ball into home. That's why having a big bat helps. One other thing that helps is that we pay for a batting coach. These guy's were once pro athletes and my kids love them, they're great guys. They also have incredible knowledge of the game.

espn1
03-03-2008, 01:27 PM
One other thing that I failed to mention is this is our fourth season at RRYB and most of my kid's friends are at the baseball park. It's a great place to hang out.
RRYB (http://leaguelineup.com/miscinfo.asp?menuid=47&cmenuid=47&url=rryb&sid=185245766)

themsu97
03-03-2008, 02:47 PM
but the problem ESPN is that you are the exception...

most of what we are saying is that there are obsessed parents out there... my kid plays soccer, basketball, tennis and baseball...
and with the exception of tennis all of the same kids are on the same team more or less...
some of the parents in the little league are very obsessed and will do anything to win...

some of the problems I experience in coaching high schoolers is from parents of select kids... mind boggling...

kids need to know that they are to enjoy whatever endeavor they do and it appears that your kids do and they know that you love them no matter... like nobogey said, too many kids think that this is the only way to get parental approval and that is sad

espn1
03-03-2008, 05:16 PM
So you're saying I should quit beating my kids if they don't play baseball?:D :D :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-03-2008, 05:28 PM
So you're saying I should quit beating my kids if they don't play baseball?:D :D :D

Of course not.

nobogey72
03-03-2008, 06:08 PM

Absolutely not. Only beat them if they strike out looking!:D :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Absolutely not. Only beat them if they strike out looking!:D :D

I think it should be done on a regular basis, because I bet there are a lot of times that they screw up that you don't catch them on. This will keep them in line and your arm in shape for when you DO catch them. ;)

Bull19
03-03-2008, 07:04 PM
i just recently had a conversation with one of the most highly respected and successfull college baseball coach's in the country and he agreed 100% the youths are playing WAY to much fall ball, summer ball, etc. if you look at the numbers their are more high school and college kids these days getting hurt because of throwing too much when they are younger. he said the he even encourages his recruits and younger to play football, basketball, etc in school and not play baseball year around. the more you throw when you are younger, the higher chances for arm problems when you are in high school and college.

espn1
03-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
i just recently had a conversation with one of the most highly respected and successfull college baseball coach's in the country and he agreed 100% the youths are playing WAY to much fall ball, summer ball, etc. if you look at the numbers their are more high school and college kids these days getting hurt because of throwing too much when they are younger. he said the he even encourages his recruits and younger to play football, basketball, etc in school and not play baseball year around. the more you throw when you are younger, the higher chances for arm problems when you are in high school and college.
It even gets worse now they have fall ball spring ball and Wii baseball.

coachkiss
03-03-2008, 11:41 PM
My son will play about 50 games this year, counting scrimmages, fall baseball, spring league, and summer tournaments.

My worry is not the amount of baseball, but when you add that to the 10 football games in 10 weeks with 3 nights of practice each week, the 17 basketball games in 9 weeks, and the amount of school work he has.

NastySlot
03-03-2008, 11:59 PM

Coach Graham???? most of his players were stud footballers.

buff4ever
03-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by coachkiss
My son will play about 50 games this year, counting scrimmages, fall baseball, spring league, and summer tournaments.

My worry is not the amount of baseball, but when you add that to the 10 football games in 10 weeks with 3 nights of practice each week, the 17 basketball games in 9 weeks, and the amount of school work he has.

You do have some control over this you know?:D

HippoBaseball05
03-04-2008, 01:15 AM
My son alternates between his EXO and his new Omaha.

After doing a little research, we found that for the cash the Omaha had very comparable 'pop'.

Old Tiger
03-04-2008, 01:18 AM
I liked the Easton Connection(orange original)

When I was in little league to HS i liked the Omaha Gold or Classic.

coachkiss
03-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Whatever, Buff, I have no control over how much homework they give him!?!?!?!?

:D

hookandladder
03-04-2008, 08:32 AM
My son also plays on a select team out of Houston, he plays around 50 to 60 games a year. His team has 9 pitchers that can all throw pretty well, so him throwing to many pitches in a tournament is not a concern. I have learn this past fall that trying to play Jr. High football and fall baseball at the same time will not work. He played offense and defense and come Saturday his body was really sore, so this next fall he will not play a fall schedule. We may still play a couple of tournaments but that will be up to him. Not to change the subject but this problem happens with other sports and also happens more with the girls side.

Bull19
03-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
My son also plays on a select team out of Houston, he plays around 50 to 60 games a year. His team has 9 pitchers that can all throw pretty well, so him throwing to many pitches in a tournament is not a concern. I have learn this past fall that trying to play Jr. High football and fall baseball at the same time will not work. He played offense and defense and come Saturday his body was really sore, so this next fall he will not play a fall schedule. We may still play a couple of tournaments but that will be up to him. Not to change the subject but this problem happens with other sports and also happens more with the girls side.

speaking from a girls standpoint on pitching, arm problems are wwaaayyyy less likely to happen compared to the boys.

75009Football
03-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Check the drop. Been in some leagues where they would not allow that big of a drop, -9 was the most.

espn1
03-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by 75009Football
Check the drop. Been in some leagues where they would not allow that big of a drop, -9 was the most. The league we play in is wide open. We can use a -13 if you want. I think a-10 is the biggest drop available for a Sr. League Bat.

hookandladder
03-05-2008, 07:45 AM
speaking from a girls standpoint on pitching, arm problems are wwaaayyyy less likely to happen compared to the boys.

I was referring to girls playing a varsity sport and also playing a select sport at the same time not pitching. My point is if you are on a varsity sport in high school then you owe it to your coach and teamates to focus on one sport and not risk an injury in a select or club sport. Their is plenty of time during the summer to play select ball. Just my opinion.

Bull19
03-05-2008, 09:21 AM
I was referring to girls playing a varsity sport and also playing a select sport at the same time not pitching. My point is if you are on a varsity sport in high school then you owe it to your coach and teamates to focus on one sport and not risk an injury in a select or club sport. Their is plenty of time during the summer to play select ball. Just my opinion.

are you saying that if a kid wants to play baseball and football in high school he should pick just one?

hookandladder
03-05-2008, 12:13 PM
are you saying that if a kid wants to play baseball and football in high school he should pick just one?

Dude, we are not on the same page, I am saying during your high school sport if you are on varsity, you should not be playing another select or club sport at the same time. For example a boy playing varsity baseball in high school right now and on weekends and free time playing on a select basketball team. I feel whatever high school varsity sport you are on at that time, you should committ 100% of your time to.

44INAROW
03-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Dude, we are not on the same page, I am saying during your high school sport if you are on varsity, you should not be playing another select or club sport at the same time. For example a boy playing varsity baseball in high school right now and on weekends and free time playing on a select basketball team. I feel whatever high school varsity sport you are on at that time, you should committ 100% of your time to.

What do you think about track and baseball? That's been a issue in Cuero in the past- - I think it's the practice time issue..... I know golf and baseball are hard to do at the same time - Lil44 did golf and JV baseball his freshman year - then Varsity BB and golf his sophomore and junior years - he decided to focus on golf 100% his senior year. I think it was the right decision for him. But it sure was hard for him to give up baseball. Football doesn't have many conflicts so that wasn't an issue thankfully :)

LH Panther Mom
03-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
What do you think about track and baseball? That's been a issue in Cuero in the past- - I think it's the practice time issue..... I know golf and baseball are hard to do at the same time - Lil44 did golf and JV baseball his freshman year - then Varsity BB and golf his sophomore and junior years - he decided to focus on golf 100% his senior year. I think it was the right decision for him. But it sure was hard for him to give up baseball. Football doesn't have many conflicts so that wasn't an issue thankfully :)
We've got kids that do track & baseball. Two (heehee) do powerlifting & track. The track/bball guys do their track stuff, then head to the baseball field. (I think that's how they do it.) PL guys do their weight stuff, then go to the track. Last weekend, there was baseball/track at the same time. I know of at least a couple that went to the tourney instead of the meet. This weekend, PL regional meet will take precedent over track.

Since most of our coaches are encouraging athletes to participate in multiple sports, it hasn't presented an problem here that I am aware when there are conflicts and one sport is chosen that day over another. We had several basketball players last year still playing weeks into baseball. The baseball coach knew he'd have to wait on them.

hookandladder
03-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

I see track as more of a individual sport than a team sport, I would recommend to my child to look at what his or her chances are of getting or winning a state championship. I know some sports can and will overlap however I will still recommend to play only one sport at a time. Also if he or she wants a shot at the next level, it will demand full time.

Bull19
03-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Also if he or she wants a shot at the next level, it will demand full time.

100% not true