PDA

View Full Version : I love the DMN

JR2004
03-01-2008, 01:12 AM
They can send a reporter out to cover Duncanville, have someone to see SOC and Lincoln and yet they send no one out to see Velt tonight in Commerce? I mean come on. Just because they're in 3A doesn't mean they shouldn't have someone out there blogging at that game as well. Good ol DMN doing what they do best and ignoring the team that has the best chance out of the bunch of bringing home another state title for DISD.

injuredinmelee
03-01-2008, 01:42 AM
I wish we still got the DMN here in DRABILENE texas.

JR2004
03-01-2008, 01:43 AM
They give the Abilene schools better coverage than they do Velt, Madison and everyone else that's 3A and under.

c-town_balla
03-01-2008, 02:15 AM
I don't like that they stoped delivering south of waco....

JR2004
03-01-2008, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
I don't like that they stoped delivering south of waco....

I'd say you aren't missing much, but I remember how bad the Daily Telegram and Trib can be so I can see why'd you want the DMN down there.

c-town_balla
03-01-2008, 02:24 AM
yeah I rely on the Austin paper who only claims cameron as being in the area when they are good at football.....like this year and last year we weren't in there area but we were in 05....and
I have personally called in the last two baseball box scores and if they arent in there im going insane

Aesculus gilmus
03-01-2008, 09:19 AM
You can still get the DMN delivered to your home in Gilmer and Longview, even though we are technically beyond their new 100-mile radius coverage area.

The print media are in decline because of this very "invention" on which I am typing.

The answer is to be your own reporter and blogger, which is what sites like this one are all about.

I have learned more scores in a more timely manner on this site and Smoaky than I ever did from any print publication.

injuredinmelee
03-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
You can still get the DMN delivered to your home in Gilmer and Longview, even though we are technically beyond their new 100-mile radius coverage area.

The print media are in decline because of this very "invention" on which I am typing.

The answer is to be your own reporter and blogger, which is what sites like this one are all about.

I have learned more scores in a more timely manner on this site and Smoaky than I ever did from any print publication.

But i cant hold my laptop in my hand while I am on the porcelean(sp) throne.

K-MAC Chuck
03-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
yeah I rely on the Austin paper who only claims cameron as being in the area when they are good at football.....like this year and last year we weren't in there area but we were in 05....and
I have personally called in the last two baseball box scores and if they arent in there im going insane

The Austin American-Statesman is a literal piece of crap, in terms of high school coverage..

eagles_victory
03-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
They can send a reporter out to cover Duncanville, have someone to see SOC and Lincoln and yet they send no one out to see Velt tonight in Commerce? I mean come on. Just because they're in 3A doesn't mean they shouldn't have someone out there blogging at that game as well. Good ol DMN doing what they do best and ignoring the team that has the best chance out of the bunch of bringing home another state title for DISD. DMN covers all the schools around the area and coming into this weekend. I dont think you could honestly say Velt had the best chance to bring home the state title when Duncanville has won like 70 something straight games vs in state teams and North Crowley is also from the metroplex and their number 2 in 5A.I know that they were playing each other but still. Now that Duncanville lost id say NC has a pretty good chance of taking state. Plus in the 4a region 2 regional their is HP, Soc, and Lincoln 3 schools that are covered heavily by DMN. In 5a Region 1 there is also 3 local schools Heritage, Crowley, and Duncanville. So it doesnt surprise me that they sent bloggers out there.

Plus its the DMN what did you expect. They give about as little 3a coverage as they possibly can. I also believe they show favortism to certain schools over others as well.

JR2004
03-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
DMN covers all the schools around the area and coming into this weekend. I dont think you could honestly say Velt had the best chance to bring home the state title when Duncanville has won like 70 something straight games vs in state teams and North Crowley is also from the metroplex and their number 2 in 5A.I know that they were playing each other but still. Now that Duncanville lost id say NC has a pretty good chance of taking state. Plus in the 4a region 2 regional their is HP, Soc, and Lincoln 3 schools that are covered heavily by DMN. In 5a Region 1 there is also 3 local schools Heritage, Crowley, and Duncanville. So it doesnt surprise me that they sent bloggers out there.

Plus its the DMN what did you expect. They give about as little 3a coverage as they possibly can. I also believe they show favortism to certain schools over others as well.

Yes I honestly could say that about Roosevelt since they did it two years ago and they have the easiest route to a championship out of the Dallas area schools. Duncanville didn't have the best shot this season of any school on this side of the Metroplex. Next season, sure. This season, no and last night showed that.

Crowley is covered by the Star-Telegram first, the DMN is a secondary outlet. Had Duncanville and Heritage not been out there they wouldn't have sent anyone to Abilene to see North Crowley. The DMN sent people everywhere yesterday. They also covered Mesquite and PESH as well as the girls teams down in Austin. Heck they could've had a correspondent just send in a report over the phone like they do during football season. Just an update on the score at the very least for the 3A and under schools (Ponder and Peaster among others) would've been alright.

Blastoderm55
03-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
But i cant hold my laptop in my hand while I am on the porcelean(sp) throne.

Iphone. :D

eagles_victory
03-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Yes I honestly could say that about Roosevelt since they did it two years ago and they have the easiest route to a championship out of the Dallas area schools. Duncanville didn't have the best shot this season of any school on this side of the Metroplex. Next season, sure. This season, no and last night showed that.

Crowley is covered by the Star-Telegram first, the DMN is a secondary outlet. Had Duncanville and Heritage not been out there they wouldn't have sent anyone to Abilene to see North Crowley. The DMN sent people everywhere yesterday. They also covered Mesquite and PESH as well as the girls teams down in Austin. Heck they could've had a correspondent just send in a report over the phone like they do during football season. Just an update on the score at the very least for the 3A and under schools (Ponder and Peaster among others) would've been alright. Yea I agree with you about that it is kind of crappy the coverage they give of 3a.

Emerson1
03-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Yea I agree with you about that it is kind of crappy the coverage they give of 3a.
It's worse for football. On their little HS special show it's always DISD schools. They show the crowd and there is maybe 10 people in the stands.

Adidas410s
03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I'd say you aren't missing much, but I remember how bad the Daily Telegram and Trib can be so I can see why'd you want the DMN down there.
IMO the DMN is a very good paper overall. I do agree though that they do a poor job of covering 3A and below in all sports. That's definitely the biggest weakness in their sports section...besides the occassional JJ Taylor rant! ;)

eagles_victory
03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Kennedale 27 Roosvelt 20 at half