PDA

View Full Version : Grinnell Basketball

jimmyceatworld
02-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Grinnell's basketball team (plays in D3) is the most inventive I've ever seen.

They almost exclusively shoot threes, full court press the entire game, and if they don't steal the ball within 15 seconds they let the other team score an uncontested lay-up so they can get the ball quicker. The coach rotates 3 groups of 5 with each playing 30-60 secs at a time. Also, they get yelled at if they let more than 15 secs go off the play clock. What I find so amazing is that out of 23 games this year they've scored over 100 20 times. AND the leading scorer usually averages only like 15 a game!

I watched them on ESPN2 a couple of years ago. They're not the best, but they're the most fun to watch. Every play is exciting.

This isn't the most interesting vid, but it shows you what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQGZ0CKMBvs

eagles_victory
02-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I remember watching that game on espn 2 it was so boring. I think they let the pressure of the game get to them.

jimmyceatworld
02-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I remember watching that game on espn 2 it was so boring. I think they let the pressure of the game get to them.

Boring? I loved it.

I bet watching a team like that drives a normal coach crazy though.

eagles_victory
02-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
Boring? I loved it.

I bet watching a team like that drives a normal coach crazy though. They didnt do anything remember when we got into a huge argument about that game because you tried to say they won and I said they lost

jimmyceatworld
02-29-2008, 03:22 PM
They didnt do anything remember when we got into a huge argument about that game because you tried to say they won and I said they lost

I thought it was the other way around ... what was the team they lost to ... Beloit that's it. Their big man scored a game winning jumper with less than 3 seconds left. I think the final was 86-85.

eagles_victory
02-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I thought it was the other way around ... what was the team they lost to ... Beloit that's it. Their big man scored a game winning jumper with less than 3 seconds left. I think the final was 86-85. You said they won I was right in the argument lol. I thought yall were going to SA today?

jimmyceatworld
02-29-2008, 03:27 PM
You said they won I was right in the argument lol. I thought yall were going to SA today?

w/e you say CLW. We're leaving in the morning

and you should leave this thread for all the Grinnell Pioneer fans on the DL lol. No need for chit chat, jk

Johnny Utah
02-29-2008, 03:28 PM
3a Brownfield plays the same style. Very exciting to watch!!!

jimmyceatworld
02-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
3a Brownfield plays the same style. Very exciting to watch!!!

They do, how does their team usually do each season?

Johnny Utah
02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
New Coach, from there actually, came in about 2 years ago and implemented the system. Regional Finalists last year in Region 1. Playing agains Argyle in Regional Semis tonight in Lubbock!!! Working well for them it seems.

mwynn05
02-29-2008, 03:41 PM
New Coach, from there actually, came in about 2 years ago and implemented the system. Regional Finalists last year in Region 1. Playing agains Argyle in Regional Semis tonight in Lubbock!!! Working well for them it seems. that style will get them beat 40 by argyle

jimmyceatworld
02-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
that style will get them beat 40 by argyle

I have a feeling Argyle would beat a lot of teams by 40 anyway

kepdawg
02-29-2008, 03:49 PM

Argyle is overrated!

Johnny Utah
02-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Dont see a team from region 1 getting beat by 40 in a regional tourney. Argyle is very good, but so are the other 3 teams in the tourney. Burk presses the entire game and plays a lot zone. Will that get them beat by 40?? It is about player matchups not just style of play.

eagles_victory
02-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Dont see a team from region 1 getting beat by 40 in a regional tourney. Argyle is very good, but so are the other 3 teams in the tourney. Burk presses the entire game and plays a lot zone. Will that get them beat by 40?? It is about player matchups not just style of play. We were on the way to beating Burk by 40 earlier this year up 21 at halftime then we ended up losing :eek: :(

mwynn05
02-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Dont see a team from region 1 getting beat by 40 in a regional tourney. Argyle is very good, but so are the other 3 teams in the tourney. Burk presses the entire game and plays a lot zone. Will that get them beat by 40?? It is about player matchups not just style of play. ive seen argyle and burk...it wont be close....and your right kep but there isnt any one in region 1 who is going to beat them

firstdown
02-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Argyle is overrated!

Who is it that you support Mr. Kepdawg? Have you seen them play or is it that you just don't like Argyle? Please elaborate.

kepdawg
02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by firstdown
Who is it that you support Mr. Kepdawg? Have you seen them play or is it that you just don't like Argyle? Please elaborate.

Don't pay me any attention! I just throw out random statements!

firstdown
02-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Don't pay me any attention! I just throw out random statements!

Cool. I guess you drew me offsides:( now I guess instead of firstdown I'm first and 15 :D

mwynn05
02-29-2008, 08:30 PM
and i take back sayin argyle is overrated they just werent as good as i thought and heard they would be when i saw them

jimmyceatworld
02-29-2008, 11:48 PM

For the record I was just exaggerating. I don't really think they'll beat any team by forty (especially this deep in the tournament) regardless of the style of play

firstdown
03-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
and i take back sayin argyle is overrated they just werent as good as i thought and heard they would be when i saw them

It looks like we were overrated:( Good luck to those that are left.