piratebg
02-28-2008, 06:50 PM
http://dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=626EF324-D473-A8AD-C9AE73E606072458

Going With Flo
Adams Avoids Free Agency; Signs Six-Year Deal

Nick Eatman - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
February 28, 2008 5:43 PM

IRVING, Texas - For the last 10 years, Flozell Adams has been protecting the Cowboys' starting quarterback.

But he was only a few hours from being unprotected himself.

Instead, the Cowboys avoided free agency with their starting left tackle, signing Flozell Adams to a six-year deal late Thursday afternoon.

With free agency officially beginning at 11:01 p.m. (CST) Thursday night, Adams would've been able to start negotiating with other clubs. Now he returns with a contract that will likely keep him in a Cowboys uniform for the remainder of his career.

The Cowboys do have four players now who remain unrestricted - running back Julius Jones, cornerbacks Jacques Reeves and Nate Jones and safety Keith Davis.

While Adams will turn 33 in May, the Cowboys obviously couldn't risk the chance of losing him to another team. Although the Cowboys are hopeful of three young tackles - Pat McQuistan, Doug Free and James Marten, Adams has proven himself as one of the NFL's best tackles, especially in the last five years.

Since the Cowboys gave Adams a five-year, $25 million contract that included $10 million to sign back in 2003, he has made four Pro Bowls, only missing out in 2006 when he suffered a torn ACL early in the season.

Adams was named a starter last year in the Pro Bowl, one of three Cowboys offensive line selections.

The Cowboys contemplated putting the franchise tag on Adams instead of safety Ken Hamlin last week. But his franchise tender for offensive tackles would've been about $9 million. The Cowboys could've lowered the cap charge with a multi-year deal, but even giving him the tag sets a market value for Adams of at least $9 million per season.

Hamlin's franchise tag is only $4.392 million, although expect the Cowboys to sign him to a multi-year as well that will lower his cap charge for this season.

piratebg
02-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Now hurry up and sign Marion Barber!!! :D

kepdawg
02-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Now hurry up and sign Marion Barber!!! :D

They're working on it.

Barber (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78999)

coach
02-28-2008, 07:17 PM
thats a guaranteed 16 false starts next year

kepdawg
02-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by coach

I'll take it!

piratebg
02-28-2008, 07:20 PM

True, he as a problem jumping every now and then, but there is no denying he is one of the best tackles in the NFL and a vital part of the Cowboys offense.

coach
02-28-2008, 07:22 PM
hes overrated..he is not as good as everyone says he is

eagles_victory
02-28-2008, 07:23 PM
hes overrated..he is not as good as everyone says he is Are you kidding me hes one of the best offensive linemen in the league.

DU_stud04
02-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Are you kidding me hes one of the best offensive linemen in the league. coach could take him. hahaha

eagles_victory
02-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
coach could take him. hahaha yea lol i dont know if you were around coach long enough to tell but he thinks everythings overrated

zebrablue2
02-28-2008, 08:00 PM
a smart move by the pokes....

Emerson1
02-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Are you kidding me hes one of the best offensive linemen in the league.
What makes you say that?

coach
02-28-2008, 08:59 PM
he always kills drives with holding penalties and is always jumping

mwynn05
02-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
coach could take him. hahaha all 135 lbs of coach?

Macarthur
02-29-2008, 12:25 AM
he always kills drives with holding penalties and is always jumping

Always!? They broke just about every offensive team record you could break this year.

You're just throwing something out there without any basis.

Old Tiger
02-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Always!? They broke just about every offensive team record you could break this year.

You're just throwing something out there without any basis. Doesn't mean he didn't kill important drives or drives.

coach
02-29-2008, 01:15 AM

You're just throwing something out there without any basis.
i can promise you that he is one of the leaders in penalties per game for an o lineman

eagles_victory
02-29-2008, 01:21 AM

You're just throwing something out there without any basis. i second that Flozell took on some of the best defensive ends in the league and kept them off Romo the whole season so he could put up the record setting numbers he did.

BTW coach dont throw those promises out too quickly since 2004 Leonard Davis has had more penalties then Flo also Robert Gallery of the Radiers has had more penalties.