PDA

View Full Version : BMC champ headed to White House

lostaussie
02-28-2008, 04:15 PM
The Call Of A Lifetime
Classic Champ Jones Gets White House Invite

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

There are quite a few perks that come with being the reigning Bassmaster Classic champion. There are sponsorship bonuses, magazine covers, the respect and admiration of fellow competitors, along with hundreds of emails, texts and phone calls from your friends, colleagues and fans.

But earlier this afternoon, Classic champ Alton Jones got a phone call he'd never expected.

Caller Unknown

Jones said a call came in to his cell while he was on a photo shoot for the next cover of Bassmaster Magazine. The caller ID read "unknown," but he answered.

Jones said he then heard a woman's voice on the other end, and she said: "This is Karen from the White House. Is this Mr. Jones? Have you got a just a minute? I have someone who wants to speak with you."

"When it's the White House, you know what she means," Jones said. "She put on President Bush, and we had about a 6- or 7-minute phone call. He congratulated me – he's a huge fan of the sport, and participates.

"And then he said, 'You know Alton, I had the honor of welcoming the NASCAR champion to the White House a week or so ago. I want to extend the same invitation to you and your family to join me in the Oval Office. We want to give you a tour of the White House, and take you before the National Press Corps. I want people to know how important it is to support fishing and the outdoors."

Jones added he was "overwhelmed" by the experience. "I was almost in disbelief. I was sitting there listening to the leader of the free world."

Of course he accepted the offer, and sometime in March, he and his family will travel to Washington, D.C. "and go pay him a visit."

It won't be the first time the two have met, though. Jones (who lives in Texas) and President Bush went crappie fishing several years ago. At that time, the President was part owner of the Texas Rangers. And in 2003, Jones spent 7 or 8 minutes chatting with the President on a golf course.

Ambassador Jones

During his post-Classic press conference, Jones said that the title of Classic Champion means a lot to him, but "there's a lot of responsibility" that comes with the title. "I'm really honored to have somewhat of a chance to be a spokesman for the industry and the sport of bass fishing, and I want to do everything in my power to help everyone out, and tell America what a great sport we have," he said.

The Oval Office and National Press Corps is a heck of a place to start. "As the days go by I hope to learn more about what that means, and the responsibility and privilege that brings," Jones said today.

Hectic Schedule Continues

Jones has been busy since the scales closed at the Hartwell Classic. A few hours after his win, he was taken by private jet to ESPN headquarters in Bristol, Conn. and given a tour of the ESPN studios. He arrived at 1:00 a.m., went to sleep, and woke at 4:50 a.m. Monday to begin the tour.

"They put me through what they call the carwash," he said. "That's when they bring someone in who's achieved something significant in sports, and they take you for a tour of all the shows. I'm an ESPN junkie. When I'm home, ESPN is on. So I watch these anchors all the time – I know them by face and name – and I got to hang out with them. I can't even describe it."

And tomorrow (Wednesday), he heads for Little Rock, Ark. to participate in filming the Classic wrap-up show, which he said will air this Saturday.

Thursday is his travel day to get his rig and gear to Florida for next week's Harris Chain Bassmaster Elite Series. And Friday, he begins a three-stop Bass Pro Shops tour through Denver, Co., Mesa, Ariz., and Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

He then arrives back in Florida on Sunday for the official Harris Chain practice, which begins Monday morning.

Despite the scheduling, he's enjoying the ride.

"Right now it's absolutely pure fun, and just a really humbling experience."