PDA

View Full Version : Hutto ISD's $138 Million Bond Election For Another HS And More!!

ILS1
02-27-2008, 05:57 PM
District seeking $137.9 million

The Hutto Independent School District's Board of Trustees decided Feb. 19 to call bond elections on proposals totalling $137.9 million.
The money would be used to build new schools, expand the stadium at the high school, buy land for new schools, build a swimming facility and a warehouse.

“The facilities committee came to the board that Tuesday night (with) recommendations. The board voted and called a bond election,” Ed Ramos, director of finance for HISD, said.

The proposals will be on the May 10 municipal election ballot.

The first bond proposal - a $128.5 million issue - calls for money to build the district's sixth and seventh elementary schools and a second high school. The district recently bought 100 acres adjacent to FM 1660 North for $14,000 per acre for the new high school. Ramos said it would be built to accommodate 1,500 students.

The first proposal also includes money for expansion of the stadium at Hutto High School. Additional seating and restrooms are part of this project, Ramos said.

“For now, we will have one stadium for two high schools and a small district warehouse facility,” Ramos said.

The second bond proposal is for a swimming facility.

“We are teaming up with the YMCA. The YMCA would build the ‘dry' part, like weight equipment and exercise rooms,” Ramos said.

The district also is looking for a third partner - perhaps the City of Hutto or a private developer - who might donate land for the facility, he said.

“One single partner could not bring in this entire facility to Hutto so that's why we are trying to form a three-tier partnership. This is two or three years down the road,” Ramos said. “By calling the bond election, HISD and YMCA are fully committed to the partnership and we're seeking the third party. There could be several additional partners.”

Hutto Mayor Ken Love and HISD Superintendent David Borrer have said during public meetings that Hutto's population growth is slowing from the extremely high rate of recent years, but it continues to grow.

“Even with the slowdown, the HISD is projected to almost quadruple in size within the next 10 years,” Ramos said. “Even with the slow down, our growth is phenomenal. It is still 13-15 percent growth per year.”

Ramos said within the next 10 years, the HISD is expected to need a total of 13 elementary schools, four middle schools and two 5A high schools to meet the estimated projected student population.

Story Link (www.taylordailypress.net/articles/2008/02/27/news/news04.txt)

Adidas410s
02-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Hopefully they'll follow Frisco's model on school expansion. I really like that Frisco is keeping their schools at the 4A level.

kepdawg
02-27-2008, 06:35 PM
So what would be the new school's mascot? :thinking:

Old Tiger
02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Crocs

Rhinos

Gators

Zebras

Carribous

Elephants

LH Panther Mom
02-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue

Carribous

:confused: :confused:

Old Tiger
02-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:confused: :confused: I misspelled it by one "R"

http://www.cbc.ca/sevenwonders/images/pic_wonder_porcupine_caribou_herd_lg.jpg
Caribous ;)

kepdawg
02-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Crocs

Rhinos

Gators

Zebras

Carribous

Elephants

All nice suggestions.

How about Hyenas?

Old Tiger
02-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
All nice suggestions.

How about Hyenas? Spice it up a bit...

Fighting Hyenas
or
Laughing Hyenas

LH Panther Mom
02-27-2008, 06:47 PM
I misspelled it by one "R"

http://www.cbc.ca/sevenwonders/images/pic_wonder_porcupine_caribou_herd_lg.jpg
Caribous ;)
:p I know what a caribou is. I thought you were going for African animals, thus my confusion.

Old Tiger
02-27-2008, 06:48 PM
:p I know what a caribou is. I thought you were going for African animals, thus my confusion. Gotcha! Just weirdly named animals lol.

Antelopes! haha

LH Panther Mom
02-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Gotcha! Just weirdly named animals lol.

Antelopes! haha
Aardvark..... ;)

Old Tiger
02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Aardvark..... ;)

FIGHTING Duck Billed Platypuses
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/938/659925.JPG

LH Panther Mom
02-27-2008, 07:00 PM
FIGHTING Duck Billed Platypuses
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/938/659925.JPG
:clap: :clap: :D

solocam
02-27-2008, 07:53 PM
I just wish Liberty Hill could get a new stadium passed,after all the money the football program has brought into the district the last few years you think it would pass,but noooo
OK i'll get off my soap box now

solocam
02-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Hutto's new mascot
one eyed one horned flying purple people eater

yoemenkracker30
02-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Hutto Highlanders.....geez what was it? 10 years ago Hutto was a 1A?

Panther One
02-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by solocam
I just wish Liberty Hill could get a new stadium passed,after all the money the football program has brought into the district the last few years you think it would pass,but noooo
OK i'll get off my soap box now
Not going to happen anytime soon. Originally, they didn't want to invest any money in the current stadium (or adjacent baseball field) because there were talks of moving it to the high school. Now they don't want to spend money on it because the plan is to build a new stadium at the new high school, whenever that is built. I would guess we have at minimum, five more years at the current stadium, but probably closer to 10. And don't expect any significant upgrades to it. Just be happy that we're finally getting a new fieldhouse and weightroom at the practice fields at the high school.

When the new high school in Hutto opens up, is everyone in the town going to put up ceramic statues of the new school's mascot next to their hippos?

hutex04
02-28-2008, 03:43 PM
I read an article not too long ago talking about the other names for mascots in Hutto. Beleive it or not, but they will have the other highschool mascot be a hippo as well. They will name it like Hutto east or Hutto west, something like that and have hippo as the mascot as well. They want all Hutto sports teams to be hippos

Bull19
02-28-2008, 03:45 PM
hutto jackalopes

LH Panther Mom
02-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
I read an article not too long ago talking about the other names for mascots in Hutto. Beleive it or not, but they will have the other highschool mascot be a hippo as well. They will name it like Hutto east or Hutto west, something like that and have hippo as the mascot as well. They want all Hutto sports teams to be hippos
Maybe instead of burnt orange & white, the new school can be white & burnt orange. :D

Old Tiger
02-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Maybe instead of burnt orange & white, the new school can be white & burnt orange. :D Or.....Maroon and gray

or.....crimson and cream

ILS1
02-28-2008, 05:58 PM

That would be too weird to have 2 HS's in the same city with the same mascot!! I just hope it's unique and not a plain jane mascot like: Tigers,Lions,Eagles or Bulldogs!!! YUCK!!! (No offense to schools with these mascots!!! LOL!!!) It'll probably be named something that'll pay homage to Hutto's agricultural history!!!

Farmers??
Cottonpickers?
Plowboys??
Cowboys??

:D :D :D

Old Tiger
02-28-2008, 09:32 PM
I read an article not too long ago talking about the other names for mascots in Hutto. Beleive it or not, but they will have the other highschool mascot be a hippo as well. They will name it like Hutto east or Hutto west, something like that and have hippo as the mascot as well. They want all Hutto sports teams to be hippos That's gay.

HippoBaseball05
02-28-2008, 11:00 PM
I've been pushing for the next mascot to be the 'River Horses'.

It is just an another name for a hippo. It would be in keeping with the 'hippo' theme.

hutex04
02-28-2008, 11:19 PM
I think it should be an h mascot. Hutto Hornets sounds good

Old Tiger
02-28-2008, 11:20 PM
I think it should be an h mascot. Hutto Hornets sounds good Horn Frogs?

kepdawg
02-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Hutto Hamsters! :D

Emerson1
02-28-2008, 11:25 PM
That's the dumbest idea ever. If you want 1 mascot you keep expanding the current school.

The kids would never go for that either