PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated article on Van RB

icu812
02-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Nice article on Jermie Calhoun. BTW, he just ended his basketball days at Van, as they lost to Liberty-Eylau last night in the Quarterfinals 41-39. He was a four year player on varsity in both basketball and football (got a state championship ring in basketball playing as a freshman). Great athlete and a great kid. Can't wait to see him play at Oklahoma.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/the_bonus/02/07/calhoun/index.html

JR2004
02-27-2008, 05:37 PM
He was fun to watch down in Austin as a freshman when he was the 6th man.

Old Tiger
02-27-2008, 05:38 PM
He couldn't get his team into the playoffs. Overrated a bit maybe?

LH Panther Mom
02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Ahem......it takes more that one person to do that. :)

Txbroadcaster
02-27-2008, 05:40 PM

They finished 7-3..the district games they lost they scored 31, and 29 points...in fact the other loss they scored 28 points..He was not the problem

pirate4state
02-27-2008, 05:42 PM
He couldn't get his team into the playoffs. Overrated a bit maybe? :rolleyes: Your use of overrated is overrated! :hand:

Emerson1
02-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Adrian Peterson didn't make the playoffs his senior year either.

Txbroadcaster
02-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Adrian Peterson didn't make the playoffs his senior year either.

yes he did..got beat out first round by Hallsville

JR2004
02-27-2008, 05:45 PM

Calhoun isn't overrated. I don't claim to know how he'll do in college, but he's a really good athlete so he'll have a shot to be a exceptional player at the college level. Calhoun was also at a school known for its basketball. Anything the football team does is just kind of an added bonus.

I liken his situation to that of former TCU RB Lonta Hobbs. He played for Clarksville, another basketball school, and the teams he played on were often horrible. I think he went 1-9 his senior year at Clarksville and often joked that he outweighed his linemen by 30-40 pounds.

Old Tiger
02-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Aside from Canton there district is not good at all in football. Basketball, on the other hand, is a strong point of that school.

Txbroadcaster
02-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Calhoun isn't overrated. I don't claim to know how he'll do in college, but he's a really good athlete so he'll have a shot to be a exceptional player at the college level. Calhoun was also at a school known for its basketball. Anything the football team does is just kind of an added bonus.

I liken his situation to that of former TCU RB Lonta Hobbs. He played for Clarksville, another basketball school, and the teams he played on were often horrible. I think he went 1-9 his senior year at Clarksville and often joked that he outweighed his linemen by 30-40 pounds.

somewhat, but not that much like Clarksville..Van has a proud football tradition and a pretty rabid fan base...The problem last couple of years was alot of athletes, not alot of pure football players..including O-Line...plus some feel the O of Van was to antique and did not fit the style of players they had

It is not like Van over the last 5 years has been terrible, just always seems to be one or two games they drop that most feel they should have won

lostaussie
02-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Van has a 3a state championship trophy in their football case. There are other so-called football powers that can't say that.

Txbroadcaster
02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Van has a 3a state championship trophy in their football case. There are other so-called football powers that can't say that.

Yea, the 79 Van State Champ team gets lost in the shadows of the 80 Pitt and then Daingerfield's dominating teams of the early 80s as well

icu812
02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Aside from Canton there district is not good at all in football. Basketball, on the other hand, is a strong point of that school.

Thats funny right there. Top to bottom 14-3A has been very strong in both football and basketball the past few years. Canton and Brownsboro have both made deep runs in football. Chapel Hill lost to eventual state champ LE last year and won a 4A state title not to long ago. Van historically has been a solid football town winning a state title in 1979. This year the district ended in a 4 way tie for 1st, Van didn't win the tie breaker. Overrated, you must have never seen him play......he'll prove you wrong at OU.

Old Tiger
02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by icu812
Thats funny right there. Top to bottom 14-3A has been very strong in both football and basketball the past few years. Canton and Brownsboro have both made deep runs in football. Chapel Hill lost to eventual state champ LE last year and won a 4A state title not to long ago. Van historically has been a solid football town winning a state title in 1979. This year the district ended in a 4 way tie for 1st, Van didn't win the tie breaker. Overrated, you must have never seen him play......he'll prove you wrong at OU. Deep runs in a top heavy region means nothing.

Txbroadcaster
02-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by icu812
Thats funny right there. Top to bottom 14-3A has been very strong in both football and basketball the past few years. Canton and Brownsboro have both made deep runs in football. Chapel Hill lost to eventual state champ LE last year and won a 4A state title not to long ago. Van historically has been a solid football town winning a state title in 1979. This year the district ended in a 4 way tie for 1st, Van didn't win the tie breaker. Overrated, you must have never seen him play......he'll prove you wrong at OU.

I will correct u on one thing..Chapel Hill's title team was back in 1989, so it has been awhile since they won

Still 14-3A is not a known district but the last two years was very competitive

jimmyceatworld
02-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
He was fun to watch down in Austin as a freshman when he was the 6th man.

I watched him play too. He wasn't a phenominal b-ball player but because he was a phenominal athlete he made some plays and had a lot to contribute to his team.

coachc45
02-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Deep runs in a top heavy region means nothing.

Yeah just like getting knocked out in the first round means something! Give me a break. Try for once not using the "my region can beat up your region" BS. Go see the teams play then try to form an original opinion!

Having to defend Jermie Calhoun for 4 years gives me an insight that most don't get and he is FOR REAL!!!!!!