PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know???

Ranger Mom
02-27-2008, 04:44 PM
If you work 9:30 - 5:00 Monday through Friday....what kind of break/lunch are you supposed to get by law???

Adidas410s
02-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Federal Law doesn't specify what type of break you should have. Texas doesn't have any laws/statutes that define a meal period. As far as compensation, anything under 30 minutes is not "off the clock" and a meal break is considered "30 minutes (or more) of time in which you are not doing any work at all." This time is typically not compensated.

These fact sheets might be of help to you:
http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/meal.htm#Texas
http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs22.pdf

crzyjournalist03
02-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
If you work 9:30 - 5:00 Monday through Friday....what kind of break/lunch are you supposed to get by law???

I could have sworn that there was Texas law somewhere that stated any employee working 6 hours or more is entitled to a half hour.

pirate4state
02-27-2008, 05:06 PM
You are only entitled to a 30 minute break (usually lunch) under Texas federal law.

If you work for the government it's probably 2 15 minute breaks, plus lunch in an 8 hour day.

Ranger Mom
02-27-2008, 05:09 PM
My daughter works at Cavendar's (well..she did until about an hour ago when she walked out)!!:eek:

She works from 9:30 - 5:00 and isn't given a break or lunch hour!

I was just wondering!

pirate4state
02-27-2008, 05:17 PM
My daughter works at Cavendar's (well..she did until about an hour ago when she walked out)!!:eek:

I was just wondering!

Yeah, my boss just told me that if they didn't like it - they should just leave!

AP Panther Fan
02-27-2008, 05:19 PM

I was just wondering!

That doesn't sound good.... :dispntd:

Adidas410s
02-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I could have sworn that there was Texas law somewhere that stated any employee working 6 hours or more is entitled to a half hour.
I thought so to. According to the Department of Labor...a law doesn't exist in Texas RE: this topic.

AP Panther Fan
02-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Yeah, my boss just told me that if they didn't like it - they should just leave!

I don't get it, was he being sarcastic?:confused:

Ranger Mom
02-27-2008, 05:24 PM

That wasn't why she left, that was just something that I wondered.

She left because she will not tolerate the assistant manager cussing at her for ANY reason!!

Especially with her granddad standing right there!!!

Stupid assistant manager...she just pissed off a powerful Midland businessman!!

I almost feel sorry for the manager when he comes back to work tomorrow....my ex-father-in-law is a grouchy old fart!!!!

pirate4state
02-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I thought so to. According to the Department of Labor...a law doesn't exist in Texas RE: this topic. I had to make sure my boss understood I wasn't complaining about my job. heh heh. He went on a mini tirade about labor laws and the "perks" people receive and that employers are not entitled to give anybody anything and if they don't like it they can leave! Simma down. :D

Adidas410s

I was just wondering!
Some employers give 30 minutes per 4 hours in Texas...others give 1 hour per 8 hours worked. I know when I worked at Cingular as a PT employee that if I didn't work 8 hours then I wasn't schedule for an official break. When there is no state law, it's comes down to the individual policy for the company. In my case, our union (which I despised) had negotiated 1 hour for 8 hours worked (for all employees) and 30 minutes for 4 hours worked (but only if you were a FT employee). PT employs were granted a 15 minute break (that was still paid) ever 2 hours but it couldn't be a 30 minute "off the clock" meal break.

Adidas410s
I had to make sure my boss understood I wasn't complaining about my job. heh heh. He went on a mini tirade about labor laws and the "perks" people receive and that employers are not entitled to give anybody anything and if they don't like it they can leave! Simma down. :D lol...good thing you're still employed! ;)

DU_stud04
02-27-2008, 05:26 PM
i dont think ive ever eatin at work, it makes me tired and not feel like doing anything afterwards, even when i would work the 12 hour shifts.

pirate4state
02-27-2008, 05:26 PM
That wasn't why she left, that was just something that I wondered.

She left because she will not tolerate the assistant manager cussing at her for ANY reason!!

Especially with her granddad standing right there!!!

Stupid assistant manager...she just pissed off a powerful Midland businessman!!

I almost feel sorry for the manager when he comes back to work tomorrow....my ex-father-in-law is a grouchy old fart!!!!
Oh okay, I guess I was confused.

Uh oh - sounds like the asst mgr is gonna be gone tomorrow too! :eek:

Ranger Mom
02-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Some employers give 30 minutes per 4 hours in Texas...others give 1 hour per 8 hours worked. I know when I worked at Cingular as a PT employee that if I didn't work 8 hours then I wasn't schedule for an official break. When there is no state law, it's comes down to the individual policy for the company. In my case, our union (which I despised) had negotiated 1 hour for 8 hours worked (for all employees) and 30 minutes for 4 hours worked (but only if you were a FT employee). PT employs were granted a 15 minute break (that was still paid) ever 2 hours but it couldn't be a 30 minute "off the clock" meal break.

Evidently, at Cavendars, it depends on who you are if you get breaks and a lunch....heck, some even get to go home and take a nap from what I hear!

pirate4state
02-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I don't get it, was he being sarcastic?:confused: Not at all.

Adidas410s
02-27-2008, 05:28 PM
the asst mgr I think that said person should be referred to as the "ass mgr" for the duration of this conversation! ;)

pirate4state
02-27-2008, 05:30 PM
lol...good thing you're still employed! ;) No kidding. Especially when he started using "I" :eek:

"I" don't have to pay you when your sick
"I" don't have to give you paid vacation
"I" can fire you if you've been out sick for a few days

Jeez....I was just asking a question for someone else!

My boss is AWESOME! :inlove: :p

Ranger Mom
02-27-2008, 05:33 PM
She just got off the phone with the manager (who was off today)....he is begging her to stay!!

She told him the "conditions" she would and wouldn't work under, and he agreed to them ALL!!!

pirate4state
02-27-2008, 05:34 PM
She just got off the phone with the manager (who was off today)....he is begging her to stay!!

She told him the "conditions" she would and wouldn't work under, and he agreed to them ALL!!!

Good for her. Good help is hard to find!

LH Panther Mom
02-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Good for her. Good help is hard to find!
:tongue: :tongue: I'm right here! :p

BUT......WTG, 'Mona. :clap:

crzyjournalist03
02-27-2008, 05:43 PM
No kidding. Especially when he started using "I" :eek:

"I" don't have to pay you when your sick"

Yeah...my company is really big on their sick days...I was told last month that I'd better hope I have time off left when my baby is born or they're taking it out of my check! :eek:

(I'm not talking about vacation...this was in regards to the actual birth!)

Ranger Mom
02-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:tongue: :tongue: I'm right here! :p

BUT......WTG, 'Mona. :clap:

Hey!! There is room for you too!!

Ashton has been there around a month or so, and 7 people have already been hired and quit.

What is funny is, I called up there to get the corporate address and phone number. Not because I was really gonna call, but because I knew that "Maria" was who I would have to talk to.

Anyway...when I told her what I wanted she spat it out so fast I couldn't' even write it down. I asked her to repeat the phone number and then asked her what her name was. When she told me "Maria"...I said, "How ironic, you are the one I am lodging the complaint against"....and then I hung up.

When the manager called Ashton, he told her "your mother is planning on reporting Maria to Corporate"!!

How funny is that?? I never even told her who I was, what I was calling about...and I used my work phone, so she couldn't have known it was me calling!!!

ILS1
02-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Texas is a right to work state, what ever that means?? I work 12 hrs shifts usually 4 a.m.-4 p.m. We get a 55 minute lunch and a 25 minute break. We used to get two 25 minute breaks but they said that Texas is 'right to work' state and they don't have to give us a 2nd break!!! So they took it away!!! 10 hour shifts is the same 55 minute lunch and one 25 minute break!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Old Tiger
02-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Ranger Mom,

Does the Cavenders she work at have a break room?

;)

AP Panther Fan
02-27-2008, 06:13 PM
When the manager called Ashton, he told her "your mother is planning on reporting Maria to Corporate"!!

hahaha...she should have said "no, I think she is reporting you, since you are Maria's boss" :cool:

pirate4state
02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Texas is a right to work state, what ever that means?? I work 12 hrs shifts usually 4 a.m.-4 p.m. We get a 55 minute lunch and a 25 minute break. We used to get two 25 minute breaks but they said that Texas is 'right to work' state and they don't have to give us a 2nd break!!! So they took it away!!! 10 hour shifts is the same 55 minute lunch and one 25 minute break!!!

see above for my boss' tirade about HIS rights as my employer! :D

Ranger Mom
02-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Ranger Mom,

Does the Cavenders she work at have a break room?

;)

I have no clue...I think they chain her to the register when she clocks in!!

Seriously though, the manager had no idea she wasn't getting breaks or a lunch.

I forgot to say that she also walked out last Friday with no intention of going back....but, one of the other asst mgrs talked her into coming back Monday!

She is so disappointed in herself, she said she can't even quit a job.:p

The manager asked her to come to him next time she has a problem...he said no one ever comes to him:(. She promised him he would be her "go to" guy from now on.

She told him that she doesn't HAVE to work, she works because she wants to, so she darn sure isn't putting up with anyone's BS....simply because she doesn't have too!!

She is so much like her momma that it is scary!!!

Old Tiger
02-27-2008, 06:58 PM

She is so much like her momma that it is scary!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh yes? http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/15.gif