PDA

View Full Version : No more Wrigley?

kepdawg
02-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Cubs owner: Naming rights for Wrigley Field on the table

Associated Press

Updated: February 27, 2008, 10:20 AM ET

CHICAGO -- The chief executive officer of the Tribune Company said Wednesday he won't hesitate to sell the naming rights to Wrigley Field -- even if baseball purists don't like the idea.

During an interview on CNBC, Sam Zell said despite Wrigley Field being known worldwide, he didn't get a discount because he wasn't going to use the naming rights that the field represents.

Zell said he plans to sell the Cubs and Wrigley separately and in his own time frame. He also disclosed that Major League Baseball has approved "four or six" potential ownership groups and that any one of them would be fine.

The sale of the team has been delayed by Zell's plan to sell the team and the stadium separately, and to have a state agency acquire and renovate Wrigley.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

rangerjim
02-27-2008, 01:48 PM
As a life long suffering Cub fan I hope Cuban gets the team. Not gonna happen but there's always hope. Baseball needs a Cuban type but MLB owners are too old and fuddy-duddy to let that happen.

Been to over 100 games at Wrigley and it will always be WRIGLEY no matter what name is on the door!

The team will be sold separately from the stadium so a new owner wouldn't be able to not sell the naming rights. Looks like the State of Illinois might get the stadium but the money hungry Zell will probably still retain the right to sell the name.

Remember what happened when they tried to redo Coke a number of years back - don't mess with tradition!

crzyjournalist03
02-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Most people don't realize that Wrigley Field is actually a corporate name. Back when the stadium got its name, there was also a stadium in the Los Angeles-Anaheim area that was also named Wrigley Field. The owner named both stadiums Wrigley to help promote his new "Doublemint Gum".

Bearkat
02-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Most people don't realize that Wrigley Field is actually a corporate name. Back when the stadium got its name, there was also a stadium in the Los Angeles-Anaheim area that was also named Wrigley Field. The owner named both stadiums Wrigley to help promote his new "Doublemint Gum".

I had no idea. Great information.

Bearkat
02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by rangerjim

Been to over 100 games at Wrigley and it will always be WRIGLEY no matter what name is on the door!

LUCKY GUY.:D

crzyjournalist03
02-27-2008, 02:33 PM
here's the info on LA's Wrigley, although I can't find any specific references to the Doublemint gum:

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/LAWrigleyField.htm

themsu97
02-27-2008, 02:36 PM
I have been to Wrigley a few times and it is awesome and they are correct, it will always be Wrigley... kind of like Fenway, or Yankee Stadium, or even Comiskey for that matter

Stownhorse
02-27-2008, 02:53 PM
They need something, that place is cursed.