PDA

View Full Version : abilene christian giving away iphones

jason
02-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Texas university giving freshmen iPhones and iPod touches

By Justin Berka | Published: February 26, 2008 - 04:57PM CT

Schools and universities are often big fans of Apple products, which usually translates to labs and laptop carts full of Macs. Educational institutions across the country have also started to provide students with personal laptops. Louisiana recently launched a program to distribute MacBooks to elementary school students, and now Abilene Christian University in Texas is getting into the act as well. But rather than handing out MacBooks, the university will be distributing iPhones and iPod touches to all incoming freshmen.

ACU began exploring uses for mobile devices in the summer of 2007 and ran a pilot study with faculty and and educational technology developers to determine how the iPhone could be used by students. The group came up with quite a few uses for the devices, devising more than 15 iPhone applications that they hoped will be useful to students. These applications include homework alerts, in-class surveys, directions to classrooms and offices, and meal balance information, just to name a few.

The iPhone and iPod touch program is a direct result of the study, and the usage patterns of the incoming freshman class will shape future mobile device programs at ACU. The school is also considering other ways to integrate technology and education. CIO Kevin Roberts made a recent presentation to Apple and a number of other institutions (including most of the Ivy League) about the iPhone programs, so perhaps more schools will follow suit in the future.

LINK (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/02/26/texas-university-giving-freshmen-iphones-and-ipod-touches)

there has to be a fee SOMEWHERE that has students paying for these - if not, then then university is paying for them - I would NOT be happy if my university was wasting money on something like this...

pero chato
02-27-2008, 12:11 PM
When I was a freshman in college we got a nice folded map of the campus.

wildstangs
02-27-2008, 12:17 PM
The students will pay for them somewhere. I assume Apple will give ACU a nice discount since they will be purchasing almost 1,000 phones.

It is kinda like Hardin Simmons giving us seniors a "free" ring last year for graduation. I had probably paid for it 10 times in fees over the last 3 years.

RMAC
02-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Oh, I think the $26K per year my buddy's paying is more than enough to get a little rinky-dink $600 iPhone. BTW, is it just me, or does anybody else hate all this i-CRAP that has invaded us in the last few years? Yeah, I have an iPod, which I only finally got in December, but being on a college campus, it seems like the kids that have all the iCrap and apple stickers carry them around like its a Starbuck's coffee cup, like a status symbol or something. Any other college kids notice this or am I just easily pissed off?:D

DaHop72
02-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Oh, I think the $26K per year my buddy's paying is more than enough to get a little rinky-dink $600 iPhone. BTW, is it just me, or does anybody else hate all this i-CRAP that has invaded us in the last few years? Yeah, I have an iPod, which I only finally got in December, but being on a college campus, it seems like the kids that have all the iCrap and apple stickers carry them around like its a Starbuck's coffee cup, like a status symbol or something. Any other college kids notice this or am I just easily pissed off?:D Well, you are fat and overly sensitive.:devil: :devil:

RMAC
02-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Well, you are fat and overly sensitive.:devil: :devil:

Seriously guys? Is this kindergarten hour or what?:(

DaHop72
02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Seriously guys? Is this kindergarten hour or what?:( :( :( :( :(

eagles_victory
02-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Oh, I think the $26K per year my buddy's paying is more than enough to get a little rinky-dink $600 iPhone. BTW, is it just me, or does anybody else hate all this i-CRAP that has invaded us in the last few years? Yeah, I have an iPod, which I only finally got in December, but being on a college campus, it seems like the kids that have all the iCrap and apple stickers carry them around like its a Starbuck's coffee cup, like a status symbol or something. Any other college kids notice this or am I just easily pissed off?:D yea i agree nothing annoys me more then when you see people with earphones in their ears listening to music everywhere you go.

DU_stud04
02-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
yea i agree nothing annoys me more then when you see people with earphones in their ears listening to music everywhere you go. im one of those losers. i do it mostly to ignore people i dont want to talk to, dont make iContact and you're in the clear.

RMAC
02-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
im one of those losers. i do it mostly to ignore people i dont want to talk to, dont make iContact and you're in the clear.

Nice:D

eagles_victory
02-27-2008, 03:23 PM
im one of those losers. i do it mostly to ignore people i dont want to talk to, dont make iContact and you're in the clear. Im not talking about walking to class im talking about the people who go to football, basketball games and other events that are pretty social and are just listening to music the entire time.

JR2004
02-27-2008, 03:23 PM
, dont make iContact

I see what you did there.

Adidas410s
02-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Well, you are fat and overly sensitive.:devil: :devil:
ROFLMAO!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Adidas410s
02-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Oh, I think the $26K per year my buddy's paying is more than enough to get a little rinky-dink $600 iPhone. BTW, is it just me, or does anybody else hate all this i-CRAP that has invaded us in the last few years? Yeah, I have an iPod, which I only finally got in December, but being on a college campus, it seems like the kids that have all the iCrap and apple stickers carry them around like its a Starbuck's coffee cup, like a status symbol or something. Any other college kids notice this or am I just easily pissed off?:D
Oh...I need to send you the like to the slideshow I put together last night in iMovie. I made it on my iMac and used a bunch of pictures from my NYE party. It even lets me play music from iTunes while you watch the slideshow.

DU_stud04
02-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Im not talking about walking to class im talking about the people who go to football, basketball games and other events that are pretty social and are just listening to music the entire time. yea, there are those who if i ever saw them without earbuds in it would be weird. usually when i go to football/basketball/baseball games by myself i usually have them in, but i take themout whenever im with people, my hearing is bad enough as it is, mixed with a little add..... i cant do both at the same time hahaa, ill ignore one or the other...i usually pick music. :D

Stownhorse
02-27-2008, 04:13 PM
ACU pffff all the incoming freshman probably have an Iphone already.... I cant drive by the school without seeing a range rover or a mercedes pulling out of there.

STANG RED
02-27-2008, 04:14 PM
like its a Starbuck's coffee cup, like a status symbol or something. ?:D

I've never looked at a Starbuck's coffee cup as a status symbol. I'm just wondering why some idiot would want to pay $5 for a cup of coffee. It's friggin coffee for crying out load. I can make 100 cups of my own for $5, and it tastes much much better than that bitter Starbuck's crap.
OK rant over now. carry on.:D

DU_stud04
02-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I've never looked at a Starbuck's coffee cup as a status symbol. I'm just wondering why some idiot would want to pay $5 for a cup of coffee. It's friggin coffee for crying out load. I can make 100 cups of my own for $5, and it tastes much much better than that bitter Starbuck's crap.
OK rant over now. carry on.:D i used to hate starbucks.... now, thats all i drink. then again ive never paid for anything from there. my old job worked with starbucks and i got about 100$ of giftcards and 2 boxes of their coffee....verona and i forget the other one. each box had about 36 bags of coffee.... im set for the next year or so hahaha.
(*disclaimer* no, i did not steal this, they give the workers leftovers from the events we hosted around the metroplex. and i probably cant hook you up without getting into my coffee stash.)

(*disclaimer to the disclaimer*you can have my green apron if you want it though....)