PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else find it disturbing/depressing (work related)...

Adidas410s
02-27-2008, 09:22 AM
that many employers do all sorts of personality tests, background tests, and look at your work experience...but never really check (other than calling a reference to verify previous employment) to make sure you are competent enough to actually do the work???

SWMustang
02-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
that many employers do all sorts of personality tests, background tests, and look at your work experience...but never really check (other than calling a reference to verify previous employment) to make sure you are competent enough to actually do the work???

think of it as job security. There's just no way to evaluate that - just like there's no way to evaluate work ethic. Holding a job for a long time with elevated levels of responsibility are probably the best indicators that you're hiring the right person.

Ranger Mom
02-27-2008, 10:14 AM
I was working for a temp service for an oil company, my time was up at the end of the year.

One of the Engineers that did some consulting work for that company came in and saw a new girl sitting up front, he asked, "Where's Kellye?"

He was told that I was hired through a temporary service through the end of the year.

He got hold of my ex-brother in law, who called me and gave me their number.

I called the office and talked to his wife, who hired me over the phone, sight unseen. I started the next week and have been here for 16 years now!!:D

AP Panther Fan
02-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I was working for a temp service for an oil company, my time was up at the end of the year.

One of the Engineers that did some consulting work for that company came in and saw a new girl sitting up front, he asked, "Where's Kellye?"

He was told that I was hired through a temporary service through the end of the year.

I called the office and talked to his wife, who hired me over the phone, sight unseen. I started the next week and have been here for 16 years now!!:D

lol...and all of this from someone that has you order his expensive underwear!

His wife is probably still thanking her "lucky" stars that she took that phone call from you 16 years ago.
;):D

crzyjournalist03
02-27-2008, 11:33 AM

When I was hired at my current job, I actually had to do a competency test before they'd interview me. I couldn't get a job out of college because nobody wanted to hire a newbie when they could find someone with experience. That test was the only way I ended up getting a job, because I proved that I was better than most "experienced" personnel, scoring the third highest ever on the test (the other two of whom were hired with me).

As far as calling references go, the questions that they're allowed to ask are so generic that they're usually pointless anyway. People started suing their "friends" for bad references, and they the government intervened and changed reference calling protocol.

LH Panther Mom
02-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
As far as calling references go, the questions that they're allowed to ask are so generic that they're usually pointless anyway. People started suing their "friends" for bad references, and they the government intervened and changed reference calling protocol.
I was just about to mention that! All inquiries at my previous employer ( :( ) were directed to the HR dept. They could verify dates of employment and last salary IF the employee had given it.

Maroon87
02-27-2008, 12:03 PM

Kinda like the NFL combine...:thinking:

Adidas410s
02-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I was just about to mention that! All inquiries at my previous employer ( :( ) were directed to the HR dept. They could verify dates of employment and last salary IF the employee had given it.
They're also allowed to verify whether you would be "eligible for rehire" (AT&T/Cingular's terminology for me). Pretty much...did they fire you or not???

eppy 12
02-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I called the office and talked to his wife, who hired me over the phone, sight unseen. I started the next week and have been here for 16 years now!!:D i was hired telephonically as well in 2003 2 weeks after retiring from the army, been with same company since...sometimes it works, sometimes not so much:)

LH Panther Mom
02-27-2008, 12:08 PM
They're also allowed to verify whether you would be "eligible for rehire" (AT&T/Cingular's terminology for me). Pretty much...did they fire you or not???
That is what I thought, until I asked the HR mgr. The two things I mentioned was what she said they could answer. (I know at one time, they could.)

crzyjournalist03
02-27-2008, 12:24 PM
That is what I thought, until I asked the HR mgr. The two things I mentioned was what she said they could answer. (I know at one time, they could.)

that would explain a few retreads around my job lately that have bombed out...

Ranger Mom
02-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
lol...and all of this from someone that has you order his expensive underwear!

His wife is probably still thanking her "lucky" stars that she took that phone call from you 16 years ago.
;):D

Well actually...that is a different boss.

The guy I order undies for is the boss of ALL of us.....me, the guy who wanted to hire me all those years ago, AND his wife!!!

I just happen to be the Big Boss's "Administrative Assistant"...yet the "lady" that I spoke to those many years ago is who I ask, if I want a day off, etc.

She is who I consider my REAL boss!!:D

AP Panther Fan
02-27-2008, 01:53 PM

hmmm, I thought you were permitted to say if someone was eligible for rehire too...oh well, that's why we have to send all inquiries to the HR department...they are supposed to know these things. ;)

My company has a basic skills test and then usually at least two rounds of interviews before hiring...and we still don't get it right sometimes.:cool:

jason
02-27-2008, 01:56 PM
my company interviewed me and basically offered me the job on the spot....

boy i had them fooled haha....