PDA

View Full Version : If you are in the Abilene area...

kepdawg
02-26-2008, 11:05 PM
And even if you aren't!

2/29 6PM

ACU's Moody Coliseum

5A #1 Duncanville (35-1) vs 5A #2 North Crowley (34-1)

thewyliefan
02-26-2008, 11:30 PM
awesome...not to far from my place.

injuredinmelee
02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
And even if you aren't!

2/29 6PM

ACU's Moody Coliseum

5A #1 Duncanville (35-1) vs 5A #2 North Crowley (34-1)

I will def be there.

injuredinmelee
02-27-2008, 09:20 AM
What will the late game be?

Adidas410s
02-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
What will the late game be?
the battle for 2nd place in Region 1! ;)

Midland Lee vs Colleyville Heritage

kepdawg
02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
the battle for 2nd place in Region 1! ;)

Midland Lee vs Colleyville Heritage

I think that would be the battle for 3rd place!

kepdawg
02-29-2008, 12:04 PM
It's No. 1 vs. No. 2 when Duncanville, North Crowley meet

07:54 PM CST on Thursday, February 28, 2008

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News
dsayles@dallasnews.com

Duncanville forward Shawn Williams called it, "a little unfair to the fans."

Williams and Duncanville face North Crowley at 6 p.m. tonight in the first of two Class 5A Region I semifinals at Abilene Christian University.

Rather than potentially meeting in the regional championship, the state's top two 5A teams will play for the right to reach the regional final.

"This is the matchup everybody's wanted since the beginning of the year," Williams said. "It should have been a championship, but for both teams, every game in the playoffs is a championship game."

North Crowley (34-1) is riding a 31-game winning streak. Its lone loss came against Fort Bend Hightower in tournament play in November. McDonald's All-American Willie Warren, an Oklahoma signee, leads North Crowley's talented and balanced unit.

"We're playing for a state championship. Not too many people can say they're a state champion," Warren said. "Our team wants this bad, and we want to get it for Coach [Tommy] Brakel.

"If I could give up the McDonald's game for state, I would."

Duncanville (35-1) hasn't lost to an in-state opponent since Feb. 28, 2006, when Plano took a 56-54 decision in a regional quarterfinal. Plano went on to win the 5A state championship.

Duncanville followed with a state title in 2007, posting a 39-0 record. On Dec. 18, national power Oak Hill (Va.) Academy handed Duncanville its only loss this season.

Tonight's game becomes even more intriguing after the teams' fall-league meeting. North Crowley beat Duncanville prior to the regular season without Warren, who was attending Oak Hill at the time. Warren returned to North Crowley in October.

"They beat us then, but I think they still feel like they have something to prove," Williams said. "I'm expecting them to come out and play us hard, but we'll be ready."

Tonight's winner will face Colleyville Heritage or Midland Lee for the regional championship. Duncanville, North Crowley and Colleyville Heritage rank first, second and third in SportsDay's final 5A area poll.

LINK (http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/content/topstories/stories/022908dnspohsduncanville.128cea8.html)

kepdawg
02-29-2008, 05:37 PM
DUNCANVILLE (35-1)
Coach: Phil McNeely

Shawn Williams, Jr., F: At 6-7, he's an all-around threat. Play him on the perimeter, he'll drive on you. Play him inside, he'll hit the 3-pointer. He's as versatile as they come. When his shots are falling, he's almost impossible to stop.

Roger Franklin, Jr., F: Franklin is the team's muscle and the team's heart and soul. Duncanville rallies behind his enthusiasm and love for the game. He's a blue-collar player who is capable of making momentum-changing plays. Franklin hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer in overtime to beat DeSoto in District 8-5A play.

Kevin Butler, Sr., F: Many people forget that he was the state tournament game MVP last season. Many people also forget that there's a reason why he's signed with TCU. Butler's a silent assassin. He'll have 20 points before you even pay attention. He's a strong defender and a good shooter.

Brian Talley, Sr., G: Talley can be the sparkplug point guard or a marksman with a shooter's mentality from the 3-point line. The biggest thing with Talley is his assists total. He's averaging more than seven assists per game. Not a bad stat for the Southern University signee.

Julian Washburn, So., F-C: Washburn's got all kinds of talent, and he's shown his worth since joining the team after transferring from Kimball. Defensively, he's a 6-7 human fly-swatter and one of the area's most athletic rebounders.

OTHER PLAYERS TO WATCH: Reger Dowell, Jr., G; Josh Etheridge, Sr., G

NORTH CROWLEY (34-1)
Coach: Tommy Brakel

Willie Warren, Sr., G: The Oklahoma signee will play in the McDonald's All-American Game and the Jordan Brand All-American Classic. Before those games, he'll do what he can to get his team to the state tournament. Warren is as complete a guard as you'll see, and he can pose a problem for the toughest competition.

Tony McGilveary, Jr., F: McGilveary is an athlete, first and foremost. He is the guy Brakel says will be a top recruit next season. McGilveary has great range from the perimeter and is one of the team's top rebounders. Expect big things from him.

P.J. Colley, Sr., F: Texas A&M-Commerce got a steal with Colley. The senior has the tools to average a double-double in points and rebounds each game. He's averaging right at nine points and eight boards per contest. Colley also averages 3.5 assists.

T.J. Franklin, Sr., G: Franklin doesn't score a lot, but he doesn't have to. His job as a point guard is simple: Be a floor general and eliminate the turnovers. Franklin, quick with his feet at 5-10, also is a good defender.

Dontee Kinney, Jr., F: Kinney gives North Crowley respectable numbers each game. He's averaging roughly 10 points and five rebounds. Kinney's been playing well in the postseason, and his stock is rising as the team continues its playoff run.

OTHER PLAYERS TO WATCH: Nathan Tigner, Jr., G; Lamar Brown, Sr., G