PDA

View Full Version : The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood

PPHSfan
06-29-2003, 05:56 PM
I spent the weekend visiting my parents. My mom has a friend who owns a video store, so I decided that I would try and find out exactly what makes the YA YA’S tick, (since it was a free rental, and I also got to see Tears of the Sun with Bruce Willis).

If any of you tell any of my friends that I actually watched this movie, I will deny it, and have you shot. I am unable to describe in words exactly how the movie made me feel, but the review below probably best describes this Hollywood spectacle.

I tried my best to clean up the language, but some things you just can’t describe without colorful adjectives.

The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood is for women who spend their lives looking for surrogates for significance from the Franklin Mint. They're the ladies who think empowerment comes from Oprah Magazine, Beanie Baby collections and soft, fat, harmless men with accents who can cook. They think a shirtless Fabio is sex, and that actual sex is too messy and smells funny. They don't allow unhappiness into their lives because there's no room left in their curio cabinets. They try to believe in words like "closure" and "nurturing" and that the diet in the latest Good Housekeeping really will change their lives if it helps keep reality at arm's length.

It's a fraud, another shovel-full from Oprah's corporate butt. It trades on phony women-empowerment crap that does nothing to empower women but a hell of a lot to empower the makers' bank accounts. The makers don't believe in these lies, but they assume audiences are stupid enough to eat them like handfuls of Valium. It's all the more depressing because a woman who actually once had a grasp on strong women, Callie Khouri, the author of Thelma and Louise, directed it. Now she's become a needy sell out.

Sandra Bullock is Sidda, a famous playwright who mines her "terrible" childhood for profundities. In an interview with "Time" magazine she badmouths her boozy, self-absorbed Southern mother Vivi (Ellen Burstyn). When Mom finds out, she ex-communicates her daughter, leading to what I assume was supposed to be a humorous exchange of (very prominently displayed) UPS Next-Day envelopes full of cut-up photos and altered wills.

Burstyn has three lifelong friends (Maggie Smith, Fionnula Flanagan and Shirley Knight) with whom she created the "secret" Ya Ya Sisterhood as a child. We see the formation of the Sisterhood at the movie's god awful beginning where four young girls act nothing like real girls do as they jump up and down and scream "Ya ya!" It's supposed to inspire grown women to adopt "Ya ya!" as their war cry. Well I guess it worked for a few. Yeah, ladies, acting like jackasses will surely crack the glass ceiling.

Burstyn's friends have nothing better to do than fly to New York, drug and kidnap Bullock and drag her back to Louisiana to make up with her mom. It should be noted that every single woman in this movie is on the verge of a raging, shrieking nervous breakdown. That's supposed to make them lovable. The movie's men are sweet, sexless types whom just looooove women for being so frigging fragile. They just adore tiptoeing around and shaking their heads when the broads shatter glass with their banshee wails. In the real world, men find this behavior less attractive than prostate cancer.

We already know how it ends, of course. WARNING: If you're a total frigging retard or have trouble guessing how long-distance telephone commercials will end do not read on because it will blow your mind that Bullock and Burstyn make up and Bullock joins the Ya Ya Sisterhood in a precious scene where the old farts act just like they did as kids, including wearing silly hats. Ain't that just about as cute as a Hummel?

When Smith, Flanagan and Knight aren't cackling and screeching over the last bits of chicken scratch on the floor of the coop, they make the mopey, unpleasant Bullock look at an old photo album. Each picture spurs the women to reminisce about Bullock's mother and flashback to the gauzy past starring Ashley Judd as the mother.

The harpies screech and cackle over a past that really isn't interesting enough for anyone but them, stopping occasionally to display their squirrelly Southern accents. The movie flops from present to past and pleasant to sterilized tragedy like a beached trout. It's predictable comedy, then tear jerking and back. We learn that Burstyn/Judd wasn't always this high-strung, overly dramatic, self-centered woman about to crack. You see, she once actually did crack.

We're treated to uncomfortable melodrama like her beating her kids with a belt on the lawn (where was the powerful music when Mom used to do that to me?), and the tragic death of her only true love. Of course, Bullock slowly comes to understand that her mother is not a self-centered, overly dramatic, drunken brute. No, she's a self-centered, overly dramatic, drunken sweetheart trapped in a loveless marriage of her own creation.

These ladies are so fake and loud that there is no way in hell anyone but their accountants cares about them. Besides the character of Bullock's mother, not a single one of them has ever done a damn thing with her life. Where the Hell are their husbands? Why don't they have anything else to do? Do they have any traits that aren't from the first two pages of the Southern Stereotype Handbook? Apparently all they've ever done is hang around the swamps getting fat, annoying and doting over Burstyn.

And who gives a baboon's ass about the petty life of the mother? Suck it up, Burstyn! Everyone who isn't happy isn't given a free pass to screw up the lives around them, so why should you? The movie never lets the mother or daughter get quiet enough or deep enough for us to find out what makes them special besides the extreme amount of yelling. What does it matter to us if two more miserable people stay unhappy? Bullock is whiny and sad all the time. Burstyn is just severe and mean. So she had a nervous breakdown and got locked up. Whose mom wasn't? And didn't we all turn out okay? We can at least agree that I did. :p

Ten minutes are wasted on a gauzy scene illustrating that the mother made sure her daughter got to go on a plane ride at the fair. If this were my life, we could spend ten minutes on the part where my mom punched eight-year old Kenny Huff in the eye for breaking my bike. We can skip the part where she then punched me. Another ten are squandered proving how progressive the storytellers are. Why, they even hired a black woman to portray a nanny just so they could have a big scene illustrating that - SHOCK - racism is terrible. The scene plays like a rich person saying, "Look everyone! Look at the black maid I hired! See how colorblind I am!" If Ms. Khouri and company actually weren't racists, they could have given the woman something to do other than be trotted out to make the white filmmakers feel better about themselves. Frigging Hollywood.

Divine Secrets also has some of the worst child performances in history. Really, it’s the script's fault for making them behave the way grandparents think their grandkids act rather than how they really do. They are contrived to suit the story: wise, compassionate, or ebullient in situations where no real child would be. In the flashbacks, Bullock's character has two siblings. Apparently died in some non-tragic way. How else can the story explain never mentioning them in the present? What, the mother didn't screw them up too? Their memories or current condition offer no counterpoint or corroboration of Bullock's complaints? They don't come to the big birthday party/climax? The mother never gave a rat's ass about them so she just gives her heirloom ring to Bullock? Geez, the movie seems to treat them as poorly as it does the black nanny. And they're white!

It's just more fakery and fraud. The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood is a horrible movie, and we don't even get to see any ya yas. :D

<small>[ June 29, 2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

espn1
06-29-2003, 06:43 PM
I would stick a pistol in my mouth before I'd watch that crap. Here is a YAYA weekend.

Day1. Drive down to local Animal Shelter and protest because they are putting to many pets to sleep.

Day2. Drive down to nearest Abortion Clinic to Protest that, Women should have Abortions at will.

YaYa Logic in a nutshell.

sinton66
06-29-2003, 07:12 PM
DANG , somebody's fingers gotta be tired! :p And how was "Tears of the Sun"?

<small>[ June 29, 2003, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

PPHSfan
06-29-2003, 07:24 PM
Tears of the Sun was very predictable from start to finish, but the Cinematography was fantastic, and the Dr. had nice YA YAs :D

sinton66
06-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Is it worth the rental, or should I just wait til it's on TV?

Dulce04
06-29-2003, 07:39 PM
Well, from being a female myself, I couldn't disagree with you more. I must tell you that I am not that old and do not have the so called "wisdom" that comes from age and experience but I do know enough to realize when a person has way too much time on their hands to traduce a movie for that long when you are not even a movie critic. The point of the whole thing is that it is a movie. I, for one, enjoyed it very much. I went and saw it in the movie theaters with my mother and my two sisters who also enjoyed it. It doesn't matter where the other two siblings were because the whole part of the movie was about Sidda -- the oldest child.Did you ever stop to think that the mother might have given Sidda that ring because she was the oldest? In the movie, it didnt matter if the other children were at that birthday party or not because the movie wasn't about them and who knows... they could've been there but you just didn't know it. If you're mother was somewhat like Ellen Burstyn,or Ashley Judd then the producers must have done something right in order to make a movie that people could relate to because I think that's what it has done. And I don't mean relate to in the means of alcohol, abuse, or the fact that she was crazy. What I mean is that every family has their problems at one point or another and the movie was just about one family overcoming their problems with the help of other friends and family. And again, I would just like to point out that it is only a MOVIE.

PPHSfan
06-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Well actually the spirit of my thread was about why a bunch of women would call themselves YA YAs after seing a "MOVIE". I agree that it is just a Movie, but once again, it seems as though my post has flown right over someones head.

P.S.

I respect your right to completley dissagree with me, and I am very happy that you enjoyed the "MOVIE", and my post speaks for itself and has already answered the questions that you ask of me. Maybe you should read it again. :p

After all, it IS BRILLIANT :D

sinton66
06-29-2003, 08:07 PM
Wanna hear something funny? I seriously considered renting the movie for the same purpose this weekend. Great minds think alike! wink

turbostud
06-29-2003, 08:43 PM
PPHSFAN, after reading your review all I have to say is thank God for The Man Show.

Old Green
06-30-2003, 04:58 AM
Sinto66 it was on cinemax last night. Didn't watch though.

Lee Ermie on MAIL CALL was a lot better to watch.

exbccards76'smom
06-30-2003, 05:32 AM
Since PPHS wrote a review of YaYa Sisterhood, one of the YaYa's should review "The Man Show". I would just love to hear what they have to say about the "Juggies" and "Girls jumping on trampolines". :D

clay
06-30-2003, 12:09 PM
Hey I think Im going to call my Dad and brothers and ask them if they want to have movie night and watch YA YA sisterhood. Then we can be original and call ourselves "YA YAs" just like the other 100,000 groups of friends have after that movie came out. Oh wait, on second thought I'm going to back the truck over my toe that night.

Matthew328
06-30-2003, 06:17 PM
I'm gald I didn't waste 2 or 3 hours of my life watching that.....

exbccards76'smom
07-01-2003, 06:00 AM
The movie didn't do the book justice. It's a chick thing, ya' know. wink

Bandera YaYa
07-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Gee, I'm gone for a few days and this is what welcomes me back! (First, it must be nice to have so much spare time on your hands! I cannot relate, but good for you!) This was a movie, based on someone's screwed up family and a bunch of crazy women who happen to love this screwed up family. That's all! We call ourselves the Ya Ya's because we are all good friends and have been there for each other at different times....oh yeah, we do tend to get a little zealous in some of our "causes", but if you can't be crazy with your friends, who then?? I am sorry that you had to "endure" the movie, accepting that it was the bible and blueprint on our group, because you are so smart and all. ..."didn't see any Ya Ya's"?????...yep, once again my faith in MANkind has been restored....oh baby, oh baby...you are the man...oh baby....

Bandera YaYa
07-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Brilliant: 1.Full of light, shining. (Well, you are full of something, that's for sure!) 2. Brightly vivid in color. (Yep, your words are quite colorful!) 3. Sharp and clear in tone. (Yeah, your tone is very sharp.) 4. Glorious, magnificent.(....that's what you keep telling us, so it must be true!) 5. Superb, extraordinary. (I think it meant, extraterrestrial...???) 6. Exceptionally intelligent or inventive. (Definitely you!..the things you invent on here!)

Yeah, brilliant, that's you! :p

sinton66
07-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Heh,heh, I'm sure he's thrilled you finally agree! :D :D :D

Bandera YaYa
07-01-2003, 04:20 PM
...and that will make me so happy that he is happy!! It's what I live for!! :D :D :D

sinton66
07-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Well, I'm happy that you're happy that he's happy.........oh heck, never mind! :D :D :D

Bandera YaYa
07-02-2003, 09:11 AM
Whew!! It's a love fest on here!!! :D :D

slpybear the bullfan
07-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Holy Freaking Cow!!!! This thread has got some of the funniest schtick I have read in a while!

Let me pass on an "aside" to those of you in the theater's audience...

*ahem*

"Methinks those rockthrowers should see the jest in our good friends tome. He doth aim his pen not at the actors on the stage of this production, but at the actors who play out the scenes in living-room shrines to Oprah across our fair country."

"And by the way, the Girls Bouncing on Trampolines absoutely positively rocketh."

Hee Hee...

exbccards76'smom
07-03-2003, 11:02 PM
just explain to me about what is so great about the "girls jumping on trampolines"? :p

slpybear the bullfan
07-03-2003, 11:25 PM
exbccards76'smom:
just explain to me about what is so great about the "girls jumping on trampolines"? :p LOL, wink If you have to ask me that, CardsMom, then I probably shouldn't go into the details!