PDA

View Full Version : any great dane owners around ??

jason
02-26-2008, 03:12 PM
we were in petsmart last weekend and a lady came in with a great dane that was AWESOME looking - solid black with a super shiny coat - it was probably 4 1/2 - 5 feet tall, head to ground....

i decided right then that would be the next dog i get, once i have a house and big yard...

http://www.all-about-great-danes.com/images/bruiserstand.jpg

are they good dogs? friendly around other dogs, kids, etc ????

vet93
02-26-2008, 03:49 PM
I agree...they are beautiful dogs. In comparison to the many breeds of dogs that I see I would not say that they are overly friendly or good with children. They tend to be a little aggressive at times particularly when they are scared or when things don't go their way. That is not to say that there are not some Super Great Danes...I am generalizing based on the hundreds I have seen in practice througout the years. They are fairly high maintenance dogs with short life spans (6-8 years). They have alot of orthopedic issues and they are prone to GDV which is a condition where the stomach twists on itself. I am not saying to not get one...but please consider these things if you think that any one of the problems mentioned might impact your situation.

jason
02-26-2008, 03:54 PM
i just read about the stomach twisting thing - most i have read said lifespans 10-16 years...

espn1
02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah! I think it's always a good Idea to have a dog that craps more than you do.
When you get that big backyard you better get you a dump truck and a skid loader also.:D :D :D

vet93
02-26-2008, 05:00 PM
I might buy that lifespan IF they don't die first from GDV or break down orthopedically...In 15 years of practice I can count the number of Great Danes that I have treated that were over 10 on one hand...

Tiger Turtle
02-26-2008, 05:01 PM
A guy down the street from me has one that is a hoot. Whenever you drive up in their driveway, he runs up to the fence (he stays in a big wire-fenced pen in back of the house) and gives out with an earth-shaking WOOOOFFF!!! that would scare off anybody that didn't know he's reall very friendly. He loves to chase softballs and soccer balls and will lay down and roll over for an XL-size milk bone. Cool doggie.