PDA

View Full Version : Texas a 1 seed?

kepdawg
02-25-2008, 08:58 PM
:eek:

Bracketology (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology)

jimmyceatworld
02-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Ranked #5 in all the polls at the moment. Strength of schedule is probably what puts them at a 1 seed come tournament time.

Old Tiger
02-25-2008, 09:19 PM
I still think they'll need to win the big 12 and the big 12 tournament to make sure they keep that 1 seed.

jimmyceatworld
02-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I still think they'll need to win the big 12 and the big 12 tournament to make sure they keep that 1 seed.

I think the committee cares more about winning the tournament than they do the regular season for some reason. They win the tourney and they have a 1 seed in the bag almost.

Old Tiger
02-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
I think the committee cares more about winning the tournament than they do the regular season for some reason. They win the tourney and they have a 1 seed in the bad almost. Texas is ranked 5th in the RPI.

cshscougar08
02-25-2008, 09:48 PM
I think Texas needs to win the Big 12 tournament to get a 1 seed. Right now I see them as a 2 seed with Tennessee, Memphis, North Carolina, and UCLA as the 1 seeds. But anything is possible. Duke could get in there as well as could Kansas depending on the outcome of the Big 12 tournament.

Old Tiger
02-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I think Texas needs to win the Big 12 tournament to get a 1 seed. Right now I see them as a 2 seed with Tennessee, Memphis, North Carolina, and UCLA as the 1 seeds. But anything is possible. Duke could get in there as well as could Kansas depending on the outcome of the Big 12 tournament. Texas beat Tennessee by 17. Beat UCLA.

I don't think Duke will get a 1 at all.

The way I see it is this

North Carolina
Texas
Memphis
Tennessee

cshscougar08
02-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Texas beat Tennessee by 17. Beat UCLA.

I don't think Duke will get a 1 at all.

The way I see it is this

North Carolina
Texas
Memphis
Tennessee

This is true, but unfortunately Duke carries a lot of weight with just its name. :mad:

It will be interesting how everything turns out. Less than three weeks til Selection Sunday. I know it's a major long shot, but Xavier is #9. If the cards fall the right way, there is a very VERY slim chance they could end up with a 1 seed. For that to happen:

Neither Kansas nor Texas wins the Big 12 tournament
Neither Duke nor Carolina wins the ACC tournament
Neither UCLA nor Stanford wins the Pac-10 tournament

A long shot, but possible

jimmyceatworld
02-25-2008, 10:08 PM
This is true, but unfortunately Duke carries a lot of weight with just its name. :mad:

It will be interesting how everything turns out. Less than three weeks til Selection Sunday. I know it's a major long shot, but Xavier is #9. If the cards fall the right way, there is a very VERY slim chance they could end up with a 1 seed. For that to happen:

Neither Kansas nor Texas wins the Big 12 tournament
Neither Duke nor Carolina wins the ACC tournament
Neither UCLA nor Stanford wins the Pac-10 tournament

A long shot, but possible

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get a 2 seed

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-25-2008, 10:31 PM

Yep. I think they're pretty overrated to be honest. I think aside from Kansas, all of the other teams in the Big XII are pretenders.

Old Tiger
02-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Yep. I think they're pretty overrated to be honest. I think aside from Kansas, all of the other teams in the Big XII are pretenders. How can you think that?

-Lost to A&M(UNR) by 17 in College Station.
-Lost by 6 to Michigan state(#19) on the road.
-Lost to Mizzou(UNR) by 13 on the road.
-Lost to Wisconsin(#10) by 1 at home.

4 losses and two of those being against teams ranked in the top 25 and one being on the bubble in A&M.

-Beat #1 Tennessee by 19.
-Beat #4 UCLA by 2 on the road.
-Beat #6 Kansas by 3 at home.
-Beat A&M(UNR) by 27 at home.
-Beat #25 Saint Mary's by 19 at home.
-Beat Kansas State(UNR) by 9 on the road.

Wins against three top 10 teams, 4 top 25 teams, and two on the bubble teams in Kansas St and Texas

They are ranked 5th in the RPI and have winning records vs. RPI top 50's.

CueroDad08
02-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Yep. I think they're pretty overrated to be honest. I think aside from Kansas, all of the other teams in the Big XII are pretenders.

Again an Aggie not happy with Texas doing so well
Texas has a GREAT shot at a #1 seed.

NastySlot
02-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Texas is working their way to a one seed....but i think some maybe right they might have to win the tourney.

jimmyceatworld
02-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Again an Aggie not happy with Texas doing so well
Texas has a GREAT shot at a #1 seed.

I concur

Old Tiger
02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
I concur You would:doh:

jimmyceatworld
02-25-2008, 11:49 PM
You would:doh:

what's that supposed to mean?

Old Tiger
02-25-2008, 11:51 PM
what's that supposed to mean? Nothing except that you would agree with that reply :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-25-2008, 11:51 PM
I could really care less if I were an Aggie or not, I just don't think they're a #5 team. That's my honest opinion of them based on nothing regarding what university I attend. I never said A&M was good and I'm not bitter. Also who really cares about RPI? RPI is a crap. They're a team that can show up sometimes and suprise some people, but I don't think they're the real deal. I've probably watched them play more games this year than most of you have.

Old Tiger
02-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Also who really cares about RPI? RPI is a crap. Wow! :eek: You just didn't ask that did you?

"Using the NCAA basketball tournament selection process, the RPI, and the seeding and balancing process, a "bracketologist" places teams in the tournament in the various regions (East, West, Midwest, and South)."

Txbroadcaster
02-26-2008, 12:39 AM
, I just don't think they're a #5 team. That's my honest opinion of them .

Then why not? What makes them not a top5 team? They have beat KU, Tenn, UCLA

Also 5-2 agianst top 25 teams..3-1 agianst top 10 teams

honestly..What else can they do to be considered a top 5 team?

Gobbla2001
02-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

honestly..What else can they do to be considered a top 5 team?

honestly? wear another color? not be from Austin? not be A&M's rival?

I've always found BBDE to be a fair and honest guy, but when you attend one university over the other (UT/AnM) there is that dislike, that almost natural feeling that no matter what the other team does they're just not as good as people think...

I like UT sports, but I've always liked UNC basketball, so it's always been hard for me to be a hardcore fan of Longhorn roundball... so I guess I'm semi-unbiased here (don't get me wrong, I'll be happy if they win 'em one, just torn if it's over my 'Heels)... with that said, this is a damn good Longhorn team... to say they are overrated is pretty silly looking at the teams they've lost to and have beaten... maybe they're not as good as your traditional top 5 team or something, but out of the teams behind them, who do you put ahead of them? Duke? they're really not as impressive this year as in past years though they're still coached by one of the greatest coaches ever... Wisconsin? Obviously Wisconsin beat UT @ UT, so there could be an arguement there, but Tenn and UCLA are ranked ahead of UT, and UT beat those guys... maybe they should be #4 with Wisconsin #3 or something? Or are Tenn and UCLA not top 5 teams? how would you rank the teams?

I know you disagree, BBDE, but I think your opinion on the Texas Longhorns is soley connected to the school you attend... subconsciously maybe, and I guess that's understandable...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 01:25 AM
I don't think that the RPI is generally a good measuring stick for how good a team actually is. The reason that I don't think that Texas is a Top 5 team and is overrated is because they are incomplete and don't show up to play every game, because they've got lucky more than once this year where they came back at the end and saved face for a win and scraped by to not even average teams. There are a lot of teams that I believe are better in my opinion than them, among them include Notre Dame, Wisconsin, DUKE, KANSAS, and Georgetown. It doesn't really matter what you guys think, it's not a matter of me being an Aggie, I think that it's more of a matter of you guys being too big of Longhorn fans to admit that your team isn't as great as you think they are. They've had the ball bounce their way a couple of times this season. I don't think that UCLA is a Top 5 team either, but I guess that's because I'm an Aggie too.

trojan37
02-26-2008, 01:28 AM
If it was A & M being mentioned as a number 1 seed I bet you would agree with it!

Old Tiger
02-26-2008, 01:39 AM
I don't think that the RPI is generally a good measuring stick for how good a team actually is. The reason that I don't think that Texas is a Top 5 team and is overrated is because they are incomplete and don't show up to play every game, because they've got lucky more than once this year where they came back at the end and saved face for a win and scraped by to not even average teams. There are a lot of teams that I believe are better in my opinion than them, among them include Notre Dame, Wisconsin, DUKE, KANSAS, and Georgetown. It doesn't really matter what you guys think, it's not a matter of me being an Aggie, I think that it's more of a matter of you guys being too big of Longhorn fans to admit that your team isn't as great as you think they are. They've had the ball bounce their way a couple of times this season. I don't think that UCLA is a Top 5 team either, but I guess that's because I'm an Aggie too. Close games are the joy of basketball.

-Duke lost to Miami, Wake Forrest, and Pitt. Duke is not getting any better this late in the season and have seemed to peak out.
-Texas beat Kansas head to head, self explanitory.
-Wisconsin you could argue either way. They lost to Duke, Marquette, and Purue(twice).
-Georgetown runs a good offense and has some players. Lost to Memphis, Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse.
-Notre Dame lost to Baylor, Georgia Tech, Marquette, Georgetown, and UCONN.

Also in your theory of things Marquette should be top 5 and so should Pitt. So this should be your top 5 in whatever order you wish to put it; Wisonsin, Georgetown, Marquette, Duke, and Notre Dame. Might as well throw Pitt in there too since RPI doesn't matter.

RPI is important and that's why it is significant. Obviously bias opinions could stand in the way of true rankings.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 01:54 AM
Close games are the joy of basketball.

Duke lost to Miami, Wake Forrest, and Miami. Duke is not getting any better this late in the season and have seemed to peak out.

Texas beat Kansas head to head, self explanitory.

Wisconsin you could argue either way. They lost to Duke, Marquette, and Purue(twice).

Georgetown runs a good offense and has some players. Lost to Memphis, Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse.

Notre Dame lost to Baylor, Georgia Tech, Marquette, Georgetown, and UCONN.

RPI is important and that's why it is significant. Obviously bias opinions could stand in the way of true rankings.

Dude, you don't even watch basketball. Do you really think that I'm going to value your opinion that is shaped by numbers? There are a lot of teams ranked in the top 25 with four or more losses, every team stumbles at some point during the season, that's basketball. Just because you think that RPI is important doesn't mean that it necessarily is that, or that it is significant. I will say that it is, but I think that it's overrated and isn't a complete measuring stick to an overall teams talent.

Wisconsin is a good team that lost to good teams, but can be inconsistent at times and that derives from their offense or lack of it. Purdue is a giant killer this season, but they often play to the level of their competition. Duke is a solid team that has had a few down games, but all in all has the potential to get it all together and make a run and can beat anybody in the nation on any given night; they have that kind of talent. Louisville is a good team that was plagued by injury earlier this year but are really coming around and are going to be dangerous when it comes down to the Big Dance. Notre Dame is a fundamentally sound team but when they can't hit the three ball they struggle as that accounts for a large part of their offense. Baylor is a team that has a lot of heart and hustle, but lacks the overall skill to compete with and beat the bigger teams on a regular basis. As far as Texas goes, I think that they have got lucky and could very easily be a seven or eight loss team. Obviously they aren't, but they lack a true presence in the post, Atchley is finesse at best. Augustin is a great guard and definitely has his nights, along with James, but they're just not as good of a team as they have been in the past.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 01:56 AM
Close games are the joy of basketball.

-Duke lost to Miami, Wake Forrest, and Pitt. Duke is not getting any better this late in the season and have seemed to peak out.
-Texas beat Kansas head to head, self explanitory.
-Wisconsin you could argue either way. They lost to Duke, Marquette, and Purue(twice).
-Georgetown runs a good offense and has some players. Lost to Memphis, Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse.
-Notre Dame lost to Baylor, Georgia Tech, Marquette, Georgetown, and UCONN.

Also in your theory of things Marquette should be top 5 and so should Pitt. So this should be your top 5 in whatever order you wish to put it; Wisonsin, Georgetown, Marquette, Duke, and Notre Dame. Might as well throw Pitt in there too since RPI doesn't matter.

RPI is important and that's why it is significant. Obviously bias opinions could stand in the way of true rankings. \

No, that's not my theory at all, you're putting words in my mouth. I don't think those teams are Top 5 teams either. I just know that I've played and watched more basketball in my day than you and I'm going to trust my gut instincts of teams over your numbers that you pulled off of Yahoo Sports to create your opinions.

Old Tiger
02-26-2008, 02:08 AM
\

I just know that I've played and watched more basketball in my day than you and I'm going to trust my gut instincts of teams over your numbers that you pulled off of Yahoo Sports to create your opinions. And that's your problem plus your one of the most bias persons I know.

Just because you've played basketball and watched more than I have doesn't mean jack to this years basketball teams. If Texas is so inconsistent and overrated they would have more than 4 losses on their resume. Which I must state that 2 were against top 25 teams and one on the bubble team in Texas A&M. They did slip up at Mizzou and Texas A&M. But the past 8 times Texas and A&M have played the home team has won the ball game so that is consistent. If the slip up at Mizzou is your measuring stick of inconsistency then by all means they are.

They find ways to win ball games and are the leaders in the Big 12. They do what it takes to win, which is what great teams do, and they have racked up some high quality wins.

3afan
02-26-2008, 08:49 AM
nm

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 12:14 PM
And that's your problem plus your one of the most bias persons I know.

Just because you've played basketball and watched more than I have doesn't mean jack to this years basketball teams. If Texas is so inconsistent and overrated they would have more than 4 losses on their resume. Which I must state that 2 were against top 25 teams and one on the bubble team in Texas A&M. They did slip up at Mizzou and Texas A&M. But the past 8 times Texas and A&M have played the home team has won the ball game so that is consistent. If the slip up at Mizzou is your measuring stick of inconsistency then by all means they are.

They find ways to win ball games and are the leaders in the Big 12. They do what it takes to win, which is what great teams do, and they have racked up some high quality wins.

Look at their overall record and please watch them play, I have serious doubts about you doing any of that at all this year. There are a lot of teams that have four losses this year. It's not about having that many losses, it's just about who is the overall better team, and not just based on one single game in particular.

Maroon87
02-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Yep. I think they're pretty overrated to be honest.

No joke. They've only beaten 3 of the top 4 teams in the nation.:rolleyes:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
No joke. They've only beaten 3 of the top 4 teams in the nation.:rolleyes:

They beat Tennessee early in the year when they had not completely developed and I believe that Kansas was just a fluke and would not happen again. Also, I don't believe that UCLA is one of those top-tier teams either and think they're overrated as well. As I said before, this is my opinion based on what I have watched, and that is quite a bit. I guess I should just go along with what the people in the polls say and what you all think, but if you look at it in the end it's just a numbers game in the polls, that's why teams like Drake, Butler, Kent State, and St. Mary's are in the Top 25, pollsters just don't want to leave them out and feel bad. They're good teams in their conference, but in the scope of things, teams like Clemson and Kansas State would tear them to shreds. I guess I shouldn't have my own perspective based on what I watch and know and instead have one based on what other people tell me like you guys. :rolleyes: right back at you.

Maroon87
02-26-2008, 12:41 PM
They beat Tennessee early in the year when they had not completely developed and I believe that Kansas was just a fluke and would not happen again. Also, I don't believe that UCLA is one of those top-tier teams either and think they're overrated as well. As I said before, this is my opinion based on what I have watched, and that is quite a bit. I guess I should just go along with what the people in the polls say and what you all think, but if you look at it in the end it's just a numbers game in the polls, that's why teams like Drake, Butler, Kent State, and St. Mary's are in the Top 25, pollsters just don't want to leave them out and feel bad. They're good teams in their conference, but in the scope of things, teams like Clemson and Kansas State would tear them to shreds. I guess I shouldn't have my own perspective based on what I watch and know and instead have one based on what other people tell me like you guys. :rolleyes: right back at you.

Actually it's called a debate: you have your opinion and we have ours. No harm done.

JasperDog94
02-26-2008, 01:19 PM
They beat Tennessee early in the year when they had not completely developed... Neither was Texas.

I've had my reservations about this team earlier in the year, especially concerning their depth. Their depth has gotten much better this year and DJ has gone through his shooting slump. I think they are primed for a run. We'll just have to see what happens.

buff4life
02-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I've probably watched them play more games this year than most of you have.

DOUBT IT

BwdLions
02-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Guys, he's an aggie. Why are you even arguing with him? You'll never win. He obviously doesn't know anything about basketball.

TexanAlum_06
02-26-2008, 03:06 PM
[i]but they're just not as good of a team as they have been in the past. [/B]

Okay im not a basketball Guru here, and I have not been keeping up with Texas basketball as much lately, But from the games I have seen this year it is easy to see they are definately not as good of a team " talent wise " as years past, but i do believe they are a better team as far as playing together and being accountable for each other, instead of relying on a superman type of player like Kevin durant to sometimes single handidly win games for them, sadly 2 years removed from the VY era the football team still hasnt figured out how to play as a team and hold each other accountable on and off the field...sad isnt it?... lol. I think when they come to play they are top 5 caliber, but then again I have seen some box scores for some games where they should of won by 20 points but were outplayed and barely survived. inconsistency and uninspired TEAM play is a common occurence with UT athletics, particularly FOOTBALL and basketball.

Old Tiger
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
What is great to see that this late in the season young players form the bench are stepping up big. Hook 'Em!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Neither was Texas.

I've had my reservations about this team earlier in the year, especially concerning their depth. Their depth has gotten much better this year and DJ has gone through his shooting slump. I think they are primed for a run. We'll just have to see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, they have definitely improved quite a bit, but I think they're peaking prematurely. They have a lot of potential, but lack of a true presence in the paint is what concerns me and sets them apart from teams like UNC.

Old Tiger
02-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, they have definitely improved quite a bit, but I think they're peaking prematurely. They have a lot of potential, but lack of a true presence in the paint is what concerns me and sets them apart from teams like UNC. Why? It's about to be March. They are starting to peak at the right time and the young players from the bench are coming up big too.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Why? It's about to be March. They are starting to peak at the right time and the young players from the bench are coming up big too.

You couldn't tell me the starting five without looking it up...

jason
02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
texas > texas a&m

texas = big dance
texas a&m = big NIT

pirate4state
02-26-2008, 04:06 PM
You couldn't tell me the starting five without looking it up... So, who are the starting 5?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by jason
texas > texas a&m

texas = big dance
texas a&m = big NIT

You're right unless A&M gets it together in the Big XII tournament, but without a true point guard, I'm not getting my hopes up. Texas is an overall better team than A&M this year, regardless of their records. If we could put Texas' guards with A&M's post players I think that you would have an unstoppable team.

BobcatBenny
02-26-2008, 04:10 PM
I think it is funny that we have two seed threads going. :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
So, who are the starting 5?

Augustin, James, Abrams, Atchley, and Johnson.

kepdawg
02-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Augustin, James, Abrams, Atchley, and Johnson.

:thinking:

BwdLions
02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Actually Gary Johnson comes off the bench. Justin Mason is the other starter.

The big difference in the Horns in the past month is defense. They are holding teams well below their average FG percentages. It's a thing of beauty that most people overlook.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Actually Gary Johnson comes off the bench. Justin Mason is the other starter.

The big difference in the Horns in the past month is defense. They are holding teams well below their average FG percentages. It's a thing of beauty that most people overlook.

I thought that Johnson took his spot earlier this year, I guess it was just temporary. They both do play quite a bit.

KTJ
02-26-2008, 05:22 PM
I've seen about 7 people over the course of the last few weeks say that Texas was "overrated". Those 7 people were all Aggies. Coincidence? I'll let you decide.

And for the record, I don't want a #1 seed if it means getting shipped to Detroit or Phoenix. I'd rather be a #2 or #3 in Houston.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
I've seen about 7 people over the course of the last few weeks say that Texas was "overrated". Those 7 people were all Aggies. Coincidence? I'll let you decide.

And for the record, I don't want a #1 seed if it means getting shipped to Detroit or Phoenix. I'd rather be a #2 or #3 in Houston.

Instead of even considering there to be any truth to an assertion that is made by someone, you first have to find out where their loyalties lie I suppose. That's pretty weak if you ask me. Instead of facing the fact that UT basketball is overrated and they're media darlings this year you want to blame it on the fact that I'm an Aggie. Seriously, you people need to grow up a little bit, that's ridiculous. I guess go listen to Dick Vitale and read the stat columns on ESPN, but unless they get an incredibly easy run in the beginning of the NCAA tournament, then they're not going to go very far.

jimmyceatworld
02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Instead of even considering there to be any truth to an assertion that is made by someone, you first have to find out where their loyalties lie I suppose. That's pretty weak if you ask me. Instead of facing the fact that UT basketball is overrated and they're media darlings this year you want to blame it on the fact that I'm an Aggie. Seriously, you people need to grow up a little bit, that's ridiculous. I guess go listen to Dick Vitale and read the stat columns on ESPN, but unless they get an incredibly easy run in the beginning of the NCAA tournament, then they're not going to go very far.

I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to diss you, but from what I can tell from this thread you've contradicted yourself. You went from saying you were just giving your own opinion to stating that some are having a hard time "facing the fact that UT basketball is overrated and they're media darlings this year." See my problem? I understand you don't rely just on stats (neither do I) but speaking of weak arguments ...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 06:24 PM
I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to diss you, but from what I can tell from this thread you've contradicted yourself. You went from saying you were just giving your own opinion to stating that some are having a hard time "facing the fact that UT basketball is overrated and they're media darlings this year." See my problem? I understand you don't rely just on stats (neither do I) but speaking of weak arguments ...

Well, you're right, I did contradict myself, it is opinion, and one that can be shared by people who don't have a "Texas rules all" attitude. It's not a "fact" so I apologize, I wrote hastily and let my annoyed state of mind do the talking.

jimmyceatworld
02-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Well, you're right, I did contradict myself, it is opinion, and one that can be shared by people who don't have a "Texas rules all" attitude. It's not a "fact" so I apologize, I wrote hastily and let my annoyed state of mind do the talking.

OIC. Understandable. I wasn't trying to be too technical. Just curious about the word choice.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 06:32 PM
OIC. Understandable. I wasn't trying to be too technical. Just curious about the word choice.

Yes, it's quite easy for me to use poor diction and get ahead of myself, so I apologize in advance for future situations.

JasperDog94
02-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
And for the record, I don't want a #1 seed if it means getting shipped to Detroit or Phoenix. I'd rather be a #2 or #3 in Houston. I couldn't agree more.:)

Txbroadcaster
02-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Gary,

again I have to see WHY u think they are overrated..And when did Texas become media darlings? All that has ben said until very recently was no depth/ no Durant this year

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Gary,

again I have to see WHY u think they are overrated..And when did Texas become media darlings? All that has ben said until very recently was no depth/ no Durant this year

I think that they're overrated simply because they're not good enough to be considered the #5 team in the country in basketball due to an overall lack of post presence and guards who don't show up to play every game. I think they're a better "team" without Durant, but they still don't have the greatest depth. There are better teams out there, that's just my opinion of it, not because I'm Aggie, just because I have seen them play inconsistent basketball and that they are weak on the inside.

cshscougar08
02-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Kinda funny reading all this back and forth. Couldn't resist putting my two cents in. I do not find that Texas is overrated. Yes it does seem that they are not as good as some teams by the fact that they don't have a true post player, or that they sometimes struggle in games. But the fact remains that they have lost 4 games on the season. Only 8 teams in the top 25 have less: Tennessee, UNC, Memphis, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Drake, and Butler. Texas is ranked 5 because they have beaten teams that are very high in the AP poll. Last time I checked, that's how you get high in the polls. Not losing games is another great way to get high in the polls. Texas has done both. Yes I agree that there are teams out there that outsize Texas and could beat them because of it. But without playing them, you can't make the argument that they are better than Texas. So what I'm saying is, don't go accusing someone of being overrated because they don't match up with some team. Unless they play, you can never accurately say who is the better team.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Kinda funny reading all this back and forth. Couldn't resist putting my two cents in. I do not find that Texas is overrated. Yes it does seem that they are not as good as some teams by the fact that they don't have a true post player, or that they sometimes struggle in games. But the fact remains that they have lost 4 games on the season. Only 8 teams in the top 25 have less: Tennessee, UNC, Memphis, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Drake, and Butler. Texas is ranked 5 because they have beaten teams that are very high in the AP poll. Last time I checked, that's how you get high in the polls. Not losing games is another great way to get high in the polls. Texas has done both. Yes I agree that there are teams out there that outsize Texas and could beat them because of it. But without playing them, you can't make the argument that they are better than Texas. So what I'm saying is, don't go accusing someone of being overrated because they don't match up with some team. Unless they play, you can never accurately say who is the better team.

This is true, which is why I don't like RPI and I'm not too partial to polls. I'm more worried about overall talent, that's all. There is no doubt that they have done well to win the games that they have, but they could very easily be a 7 or 8 loss team, and that alone leads me to believe that they aren't necessarily a Top 5 team. A Top 20 team definitely, maybe even a Top 15, but not Top 5.

jrhernandez7
02-26-2008, 09:23 PM
hey folks settle down here....... this is not college football its the best system there is...a tourny..... 64 teams will battle it out for a champion... who cares rankings ...were your at now.......we are going to have the top 64 teams battle it out for a champion....so a&m hommers yall should just be worried about being one of those 64 teams in....then prove your worth b/c right now if texas losses out there still in...if yall lose out yall wouldnt have a prayer.

Cameron Crazy
02-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Texas is looking the best they have in a while. I like watching them. They are truely a legit contender

KTJ
02-26-2008, 10:21 PM

Kind sir, I never mentioned you in my post. I just said it was a coincidence that people saying Texas is overrated happen to all be Aggies. It's nothing bad.

And if you're going to say that you think teams are good based on depth, then that, to me, is a weak argument. Texas has been put up against teams with depth and height. Some we won and some we lost. There are plenty of teams in the nation who have depth...but they haven't won anything. Are they now on of your top teams? A&M has depth and height....should they be in the top 5 in both polls?

Look, you're entitled to your opinion. I've kinda known you on this board for a while and I do respect everything you say...which can't be said for everyone on here. But to say that UT has just "gotten lucky and escaped" or was "down to teams they shouldn't have been" is a weak reason to say they are overrated---Why? Because every team in the Top 25 has been in that EXACT same position at some point in time this year. Duke, UCLA, North Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Georgetown, Kansas, etc...I could go on forever.

As someone else here mentioned about the win against Tennessee. BBDE, you claimed that Tennessee "wasn't a team then" They didn't gel. Uh, dude--neither had Texas. In fact, Texas playing Tennessee at that time was probably some of the worst basketball (both offensively and defensively) we had been playing all year. So was Tennessee "finally a team" when they lost to Kentucky? Are they a team now, seeing as how they are currently losing to Vanderbilt?

So it seems you aren't giving Texas any credit whatsoever. I guess winning 24 games so far is just because "they are lucky."

The way you're talking, Texas should be 0-28 right now.

Right?

OldBison75
02-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Texas has faced every challenge that has come forward this year. They have overcome injuries, mixed in young players, and found a way to score without the super post player. What the Aggie seems to forget is that the Texas team--the one with no inside game--seems to outscore the teams with inside presence and defend them well enough to win most of the time. I seem to remember someone saying that the "star d-1 recruits from Gilmer" would overpower the little guys from Liberty Hill in football. I also remember that you can never judge the heart of a team until they are tested against stiff competition and adversity. TEXAS has proven that this basketball season, they have the heart to find a way to win--not like the past when there was always a reason to let one slip away.

Fal44
02-26-2008, 11:07 PM
My 2 cents...

Right now Texas does deserve the number one seed, they have beaten three top teams, strong schedual. Lost to a Rival @ A&M, and one slip up to the mizz tigers.

I say they get a number one seed as long as they advance further then kansas or win the big 12 tourny.

My teams I will be rooting for: UNC, Georgetown, and UT...

jimmyceatworld
02-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by jrhernandez7
hey folks settle down here....... this is not college football its the best system there is...a tourny..... 64 teams will battle it out for a champion... who cares rankings ...were your at now.......we are going to have the top 64 teams battle it out for a champion....so a&m hommers yall should just be worried about being one of those 64 teams in....then prove your worth b/c right now if texas losses out there still in...if yall lose out yall wouldnt have a prayer.

Best system? yes. Best 64 teams? no. First of all it's 65 teams (play-in game). Conference tournament winners automatically make it so there are always teams that did bad in the regular season that advance, mostly mid-majors. Gosh, don't you hate those people that take every single word literally? Punks.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Kind sir, I never mentioned you in my post. I just said it was a coincidence that people saying Texas is overrated happen to all be Aggies. It's nothing bad.

And if you're going to say that you think teams are good based on depth, then that, to me, is a weak argument. Texas has been put up against teams with depth and height. Some we won and some we lost. There are plenty of teams in the nation who have depth...but they haven't won anything. Are they now on of your top teams? A&M has depth and height....should they be in the top 5 in both polls?

Look, you're entitled to your opinion. I've kinda known you on this board for a while and I do respect everything you say...which can't be said for everyone on here. But to say that UT has just "gotten lucky and escaped" or was "down to teams they shouldn't have been" is a weak reason to say they are overrated---Why? Because every team in the Top 25 has been in that EXACT same position at some point in time this year. Duke, UCLA, North Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Georgetown, Kansas, etc...I could go on forever.

As someone else here mentioned about the win against Tennessee. BBDE, you claimed that Tennessee "wasn't a team then" They didn't gel. Uh, dude--neither had Texas. In fact, Texas playing Tennessee at that time was probably some of the worst basketball (both offensively and defensively) we had been playing all year. So was Tennessee "finally a team" when they lost to Kentucky? Are they a team now, seeing as how they are currently losing to Vanderbilt?

So it seems you aren't giving Texas any credit whatsoever. I guess winning 24 games so far is just because "they are lucky."

The way you're talking, Texas should be 0-28 right now.

Right?

The whole depth thing just goes back to the idea that if Augustin or James got hurt, Texas would be screwed because those are their star players and they don't really have someone who has proven that they can step up and the offense will still flow smoothly. A&M lacks a true Point Guard and overall our guards are not strong players. They play hard and hustle, but it's just not enough with the scheme that they are running; I don't think they should even be ranked to tell you the honest truth. I can see where you are coming from saying that other teams squeeked by too, but I just think that shows their inconsistency when they have the potential to blow most teams out of the water. Throw in some consistency and a big-time post player and Texas is scary, they're not quite there yet, but they're close, but not close enough in my opinion to be regarded as a Top 5 team. I didn't get to watch the Tennessee game tonight, but there was a night and day difference between the Tennessee team that was defeated by Texas and one that defeated Memphis, and they've been doing well all along the way. I don't know how they responded to being #1, but hopefully they didn't get arrogant and lose, which they nor any team is above. How am I not giving Texas credit? I think that I have been giving them credit and pretty fair and unbiased on my reasoning, but that is definitely debatable. I do think they're a Top 15 and are on the edge of doing great, big things, but not until they iron out a few things, which I'm not sure can be fixed in this season. That's just my take on it all, it's not about me being an Aggie, it's never been about that. I know what it takes to be a collegiate athlete and there are no teams or players that I do not respect and will not hesitate to give them credit when it is due. If Texas makes a deep run, I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong about them and will be pleasantly suprised if they do, because I don't see anything wrong with some Texas boys getting some glory. The first basketball game I ever watched was a Texas basketball game at the Erwin Center. What people fail to understand is that just because I'm an Aggie doesn't mean that I'm so close minded about other schools, especially one of our biggest rivals.

Based on record alone, of course they deserve a #1 seed, that's without a doubt, but I just don't think that they're as great as the polls show them to be or their record dictates. Hopefully people can understand that, but that's just what I have seen from them from previous games. For the record, I respect your opinions too, you're not too bad of a guy considering you're a Longhorn.

87 TIGER
02-27-2008, 12:22 AM
The Longhorns are not as good as their record dictates?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-27-2008, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER

Yes, that's like saying that Butler or Drake are some of the top teams in the nation based on their records alone. Of course, Texas has beaten more quality teams than they have, but that is not the basis of my assertions.

CueroDad08
02-27-2008, 08:52 AM

So lets just all forget anyone even played a game this year. That way the Aggies can still have high hopes and think the big 12 is a dream come true. Dude forget forget were you went to school and jump on the banwagon.

BwdLions
02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER

Please don't say dumb things like that. It makes you look bad.

rockdale80
02-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Any team that lost an Augustine or Abrams would struggle. Does any team have players that caliber sitting on the bench?

Old Tiger
02-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Any team that lost an Augustine or Abrams would struggle. Does any team have players that caliber sitting on the bench? For some reason i don't think an all-american would be sitting on the bench :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Any team that lost an Augustine or Abrams would struggle. Does any team have players that caliber sitting on the bench?

I'm talking strictly about someone being able to come in and be productive, not as good. I guess I should be more clear from now on for the people who lack competent thought. ;)

JasperDog94
02-27-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm talking strictly about someone being able to come in and be productive, not as good. I guess I should be more clear from now on for the people who lack competent thought. ;) I know what you are saying, but you take any team in the top 10 (especially those with an All-American) and take him out of the lineup and they will struggle.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I know what you are saying, but you take any team in the top 10 (especially those with an All-American) and take him out of the lineup and they will struggle.

For sure.

KTJ
02-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Haha...BBDE has jokes. I like that.

As I said before, I don't want the 1 seed if that means putting us in Phoenix or Detroit. UCLA and UNC can have that. I'll be happy with the 2 seed in Houston.

What will be interesting to me is to see how far Duke makes it. With no inside presence at all in the post play, they cannot make it to the FF shooting nothing but 3's.

This will be one of the most interesting tournaments in a while. And for the record--I correctly predicted (on another message board) that Tennessee would be ranked #1 on Monday, only to turn around and LOSE to Vandy on Tuesday and I was right. I'm predicting that while Tennessee and Memphis are the 1/2 teams in teh nation right now, neither team will win the NC.

rockdale80
02-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Haha...BBDE has jokes. I like that.

As I said before, I don't want the 1 seed if that means putting us in Phoenix or Detroit. UCLA and UNC can have that. I'll be happy with the 2 seed in Houston.

What will be interesting to me is to see how far Duke makes it. With no inside presence at all in the post play, they cannot make it to the FF shooting nothing but 3's.

This will be one of the most interesting tournaments in a while. And for the record--I correctly predicted (on another message board) that Tennessee would be ranked #1 on Monday, only to turn around and LOSE to Vandy on Tuesday and I was right. I'm predicting that while Tennessee and Memphis are the 1/2 teams in teh nation right now, neither team will win the NC.

Same prediction here. And I agree. I dont think either will get past the Elite 8, if they go that far. ;)

And for my brother's last remark for me:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Same prediction here. And I agree. I dont think either will get past the Elite 8, if they go that far. ;)

And for my brother's last remark for me:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:cool:

eagles_victory
02-27-2008, 12:06 PM
You can say that Texas is overrated and pick apart all their big wins and their ranking in the RPI. But the thing your missing is when the committee is issuing seeds and where teams go these are issued strictly on resumes. When the bracket is being made its all about how good your resume looks not one mans opinion on if a team is overrated or not.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
You can say that Texas is overrated and pick apart all their big wins and their ranking in the RPI. But the thing your missing is when the committee is issuing seeds and where teams go these are issued strictly on resumes. When the bracket is being made its all about how good your resume looks not one mans opinion on if a team is overrated or not.

I never said that Texas didn't have a good resume. On paper, they're one of the top teams, nobody is denying that.

Txbroadcaster
02-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I never said that Texas didn't have a good resume. On paper, they're one of the top teams, nobody is denying that.

And it is not like they started the season at #3 and have only played cream puff teams to inflate their record

They started out 15th, worked their way up, slipped back down, then have worked their way back up to their present ranking.

Again, the quality of the teams they beat IMO show they are not overrated, but about where they should be.

BwdLions
02-27-2008, 12:41 PM

They're good on paper because they're good on the court.

Texas will at least get to the Elite Eight. They should go to the Final Four. I'm not saying they'll win it all, but they are playing as good as any team in the country right now and have a good chance.

Gobbla2001
02-27-2008, 06:26 PM
I've soaked in the sports talk the last couple of days and have been lucky to snag some great college bball talk, most from people who are not even from this state, most worked for ESPN or other large sporting news source... most of them mentioned Texas as a big threat in the tournament and a couple of them felt that UCLA could still be the best team in the country... I disagree and feel my Tar-Heels are ALWAYS the best in the country, but I just thought I'd bring that up for BBDE... though he feels they're overrated, most feel UCLA may be the best team in the country right now...

And also, BBDE, how can you not name the five starters correctly if you've watched them so much? :confused:

But I will say I've also worried about the post game... James could be that guy if he wasn't so active, but his game is not in that zone, his game is moving around and grabbing rebounds... I think they've done well by not trying to "make" him into that guy, just letting his natural abilities shine through...

but offensively this team will be fine come tournament time... they have the slashers, they have the deep-ballers, they have the mid-range, and they have the rebounding, which can help make up for the lack in a complete post game...

Defensively? uh-coona-ma-ta-ta or however in the hell you spell it... that D is really doing well right now...

But anyhoo, I'm not saying UT is the best team in the country, and I'm not saying that they are FOR SURE the FOR REAL 5th best team in the country, but for someone to swear up and down and all across the world that Texas is overrated you think you'd have seen a complete breakdown of which teams should be ahead of them and why...

Are they overrated? or are they just not as good as hyped? because I can't find a full five teams that are that much better than them and neither can you...

crzyjournalist03
02-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
uh-coona-ma-ta-ta

I'm pretty sure you just said something very racy in redneck there...:D :evillol::thinking:

Hakuna Matata.

jimmyceatworld
02-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'm pretty sure you just said something very racy in redneck there...:D :evillol::thinking:

Hakuna Matata.

LMAO

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I've soaked in the sports talk the last couple of days and have been lucky to snag some great college bball talk, most from people who are not even from this state, most worked for ESPN or other large sporting news source... most of them mentioned Texas as a big threat in the tournament and a couple of them felt that UCLA could still be the best team in the country... I disagree and feel my Tar-Heels are ALWAYS the best in the country, but I just thought I'd bring that up for BBDE... though he feels they're overrated, most feel UCLA may be the best team in the country right now...

And also, BBDE, how can you not name the five starters correctly if you've watched them so much? :confused:

But I will say I've also worried about the post game... James could be that guy if he wasn't so active, but his game is not in that zone, his game is moving around and grabbing rebounds... I think they've done well by not trying to "make" him into that guy, just letting his natural abilities shine through...

but offensively this team will be fine come tournament time... they have the slashers, they have the deep-ballers, they have the mid-range, and they have the rebounding, which can help make up for the lack in a complete post game...

Defensively? uh-coona-ma-ta-ta or however in the hell you spell it... that D is really doing well right now...

But anyhoo, I'm not saying UT is the best team in the country, and I'm not saying that they are FOR SURE the FOR REAL 5th best team in the country, but for someone to swear up and down and all across the world that Texas is overrated you think you'd have seen a complete breakdown of which teams should be ahead of them and why...

Are they overrated? or are they just not as good as hyped? because I can't find a full five teams that are that much better than them and neither can you...

I don't really think that UCLA is that great. I think they're a Top 15 team, just not the #4. That's just my opinion of them, but I haven't watched them play a whole lot, but what I did, I wasn't blown away. They're not a UNC.

I've seen Johnson start this year. I haven't seen every minute of every game that they have played, but the last time I saw one from the beginning, Johnson did start (or came in really early). I really like the play of James, he reminds me a little of PJ Tucker who could play inside an out and was just a beast. I've already said who I do think is better than Texas, but why should I break them down, that's just my basketball opinion about it, does it matter that much? I don't think so, all I've been trying to do is project my opinion but nobody really wants to listen just because I go to A&M; I'm not anymore right than you are, this is just how I feel about it and what I think about it. Is there anything really that wrong with it?

LH Panther Mom
02-27-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't really think that UCLA is that great. I think they're a Top 15 team, just not the #4. That's just my opinion of them, but I haven't watched them play a whole lot, but what I did, I wasn't blown away. They're not a UNC.

What teams (in your opinion) are the top 10? :)

Old Tiger
02-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
What teams (in your opinion) are the top 10? :)

I'll give you mine :)

1. North Carolina
2. Memphis
3. Texas
4. UCLA
5. Kansas
6. Tennessee
7. Duke
8. Georgetown
9. Wisconsin
10. Indiana

On The Bubble - Xavier and Butler

CueroDad08
02-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Lets change the subject to "Why the Aggies had so much preseason hype"
Maybe that will bring more than one crazy aggie out of the closet.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Lets change the subject to "Why the Aggies had so much preseason hype"
Maybe that will bring more than one crazy aggie out of the closet.

Obviously, the Aggies proved they were overrated early on and are trying to save face now and win the tournament. Guard play hasn't been solid at all and the offense has been stagnant for the largest part of the season. It's really been a down year for the Ags despite the 20 win season. I was kind of expecting the bottom to fall out eventually, but always hoped that it wouldn't.

PHS Wildcats
02-28-2008, 09:03 PM
BIG BLUE, how your top 10 look?:thinking:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
BIG BLUE, how your top 10 look?:thinking:

Looks really good. Sorry, I didn't see there was a request. I will be more than happy to oblige one after this weekend's games. As for right now, I am far too busy to review and examine my choices. It shall come. Don't worry, Texas won't be included.

PHS Wildcats
02-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Looks really good. Sorry, I didn't see there was a request. I will be more than happy to oblige one after this weekend's games. As for right now, I am far too busy to review and examine my choices. It shall come. Don't worry, Texas won't be included.

I figured that much:D

Gobbla2001
02-28-2008, 11:39 PM

I've seen Johnson start this year. I haven't seen every minute of every game that they have played, but the last time I saw one from the beginning, Johnson did start (or came in really early). I really like the play of James, he reminds me a little of PJ Tucker who could play inside an out and was just a beast. I've already said who I do think is better than Texas, but why should I break them down, that's just my basketball opinion about it, does it matter that much? I don't think so, all I've been trying to do is project my opinion but nobody really wants to listen just because I go to A&M; I'm not anymore right than you are, this is just how I feel about it and what I think about it. Is there anything really that wrong with it?

I hate arguing with you, Gary, you're too stand-uppish... you back your stuff up...

As for me asking you to "break 'em down", it would only be a logical conclusion to your "overrated" claim... "overrated" is a big word... a word not to be thrown around losely without some type explanation of how other teams are underrated...

if you can't break it down, you obviously have not examined the other teams and what makes them that much better than Texas... basically meaning you do not "truely" feel that Texas is overrated, because even you do not know... you think they may be overHYPED... media-darlings... but overrated?

why? you haven't given us the reasons...