PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know so may 3A teams

jimmyceatworld
02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
played soccer. Our school is thinking about starting a program. I"m not the biggest fan of futbol, but I think it'd be a nice thing for kids that wanna play. But our Vice Principle said it would cost a million dollars for the program. Not too sure how he came up with that figure ...

I have a feeling this has already been a thread of much discussion and I will be chastised for playing a broken record. Oh well.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/2007align/pdf/4A_12_soccer.pdf
http://www.uil.utexas.edu/2007align/pdf/4A_34_soccer.pdf

Antec
02-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Wharton, Needville, Sealy, Columbus and Sweeny are in 24-3A not playing

Columbia, Stafford and Royal are in 4A district

Palacios also plays soccer

Guess Bellville doesn't play

Not sure about La Grange, Smithville, Yoakum, Goliad, Cuero, Giddings and Navasota

Antec
02-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Just noticed Sealy is playing

Sweeny considered about two years ago

Doubt if Wharton will ever have it

There enrollment is dropping and not athletic participation is not that great

Tennis is their biggest sport with almost 70 kids

Numbers in golf and track are way down even not as much as some 2A schools

JR2004
02-25-2008, 09:06 PM
A communist sport that doesn't belong in Texas.

kepdawg
02-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by JR2004

Does anybody know exactly what it is that makes soccer a communist sport?

jimmyceatworld
02-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Just noticed Sealy is playing

Sweeny considered about two years ago

Doubt if Wharton will ever have it

There enrollment is dropping and not athletic participation is not that great

Tennis is their biggest sport with almost 70 kids

Numbers in golf and track are way down even not as much as some 2A schools

70 kids in tennis??? WOW!!! Our tennis program is a joke. None of our coaches would do it so our tennis coach is our spanish teacher (the sad truth) and she asked me how to keep score last year (even more sad truth). We usually have 25 people play but like 15 of them only play tennis because they aren't good enough to play any other sports. Of those twenty we typically have 10 come to practice ... on a really good day.

jimmyceatworld
02-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

it's the other football?

no idea

coachc45
02-25-2008, 09:25 PM

Any sport that a communist country can beat us in is a Communist sport! LMAO!

kepdawg
02-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by coachc45
Any sport that a communist country can beat us in is a Communist sport! LMAO!

So which communist country can beat us in soccer? :thinking:

jimmyceatworld
02-25-2008, 09:28 PM
So which communist country can beat us in soccer? :thinking:

Montana

bccards
02-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Bridge City is supposed to start Soccer I think this upcoming school year.

injuredinmelee
02-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
Montana

POST OF THE DAY!!!!

You made me spit ice cream all over my monitor.

cshscougar08
02-25-2008, 09:45 PM
We started this year. But not in UIL competition. Just playing who can, JV teams, some varsity. We will officially start next year. Don't know what district though. Hope we don't get put in the one with Midway and University. That would kinda suck. Badly.

jimmyceatworld
02-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
POST OF THE DAY!!!!

You made me spit ice cream all over my monitor.

YES! A post of the day. I think I'll bask in this one for a while because another one may not come for a long, long time

Emerson1
02-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
played soccer. Our school is thinking about starting a program. I"m not the biggest fan of futbol, but I think it'd be a nice thing for kids that wanna play. But our Vice Principle said it would cost a million dollars for the program. Not too sure how he came up with that figure ...

I have a feeling this has already been a thread of much discussion and I will be chastised for playing a broken record. Oh well.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/2007align/pdf/4A_12_soccer.pdf
http://www.uil.utexas.edu/2007align/pdf/4A_34_soccer.pdf
A million dollars? lol

jimmyceatworld
02-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
A million dollars? lol

He's a big goof. But he was serious when he said that. He mentioned field preparations, installing lights, gas prices, hiring a coach, etc. I "guesstimated" the numbers and I was several hundred thousand dollars shy of his prediction.

NastySlot
02-25-2008, 10:57 PM
are there really any more communist countries left.....cuba...china is slowing changing.......north korea....do they even play sports......

striker
02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Navasota has both a Girls and Boys Varisty Soccer Team. They play mostly 4A teams. It is a great way to get those students who wouldn't otherwise be involved in sports active in your high school athletics program. It has really been good for our kids.

block&tackle
02-26-2008, 12:16 AM
15 years ago I was working for the AD Department at a Lone Star Conference school. The LSC said that we had to add either a softball team or a women's soccer team for Title IX reasons. It turned out that it was cheaper for my school to build a brand new softball stadium and buy all of the necesary equipment for a new softball team than it was to field a soccer team (we already had a field that they could play on). Why? Insurance. The insurance on soccer offset all of the capital needs for softball! There is a higher risk of injury for soccer than there is for football! Who'd a thunk it?

bandera7
02-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Bandera has had a team for 8-10 years now. Not sure exactly how long. We are in a ridiculous district, however. 27-4a is widely considered the toughest soccer district in the state...Boerne, Dripping Springs, New Braunfels, New Braunfels Canyon, and Alamo Heights are regularly powerhouses in the state.

sinton66
02-26-2008, 06:18 AM
Soccer is so BORING. Only wimps play it.:D

Johnny 5
02-26-2008, 07:50 AM
we need hockey or rugby . . . .

3afan
02-26-2008, 08:45 AM

thats just a shtick someone used once and others have decided to jump on the wagon ....

"modern soccer" actually developed in England starting in the 1840s ...

firstdown
02-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Argyle will be playing boys and girls soccer next year in the UIL. We have had a club teams for the last 3 or 4 years. The only reason we added to school sponser sports is that we are installing new field turf.

Texasfootball2
02-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Blasphemy!:foul: You'll smoke a turd in _ _ _ _ for that!

Texasfootball2
02-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by sinton66

Blasphemy:foul: You too will smoke a turd in _ _ _ _!

Texasfootball2
02-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by sinton66

I will have to admit that about eight years ago I would have agreed with you. But, having had a son who has played since he was seven years old and is now a senior playing high school soccer I have a totally different opinion of the game. WIMPS! I have to laugh. Soccer at the varsity level is a physical sport and they have no protection, and most games are usually fairly close and the longer the game goes the more exciting it becomes. And like "regular" football, soccer is the ultimate team sport. One guy can not win a soccer game, and there is a lot more tragedy involved than you think. Then again, I may have turned into a communist too, but I still feel like a red, white, and blue american.

themsu97
02-26-2008, 09:41 AM
I would say that the reason people do not like it is simple... 1. they only played it in PE and it was easy...
2. you see so many players take "falls" and are squirming on the ground for 10 minutes, because they wanted a call from the ref, and then they have to be taken off by a stretcher, then are back on the field in 5 minutes and that is disturbing...

Soccer is a great game and is physical... watching my two kids play it has been rather enjoyable...

gtownfan
02-26-2008, 09:46 AM

Not sure about La Grange, Smithville, Yoakum, Goliad, Cuero, Giddings and Navasota

Giddings is fielding a soccer team for the first time this year. I remember cost being mentioned when it was originally discussed by the school board, but I doudt it's as expensive as they originally thought. Home games are played in our city park system which already has decent fields and doesn't tear up the football field.

HEMOTOXIC
02-26-2008, 01:29 PM

Navasota has been playing since they were in 4a I think or right after coming back to 3a.

Tiger Turtle
02-26-2008, 04:57 PM
This is Sealy's first year to play, and they are doing pretty well. They beat Foster (big 4A) and I believe they played to a tie with one of the small 5As in the area. Sealy has had a huge influx of hispanic kids in the past 3 - 4 years, which gives them some talent base, I guess.