PDA

View Full Version : Some excitement tonight....

sinton66
02-24-2008, 11:35 PM
About 5:00 pm today, a fire broke out in the 300 acre pasture behind my house. The grass is all dry and about 3 feet tall. I have five neighbors to the north of me and three to the south. We were all across the back fence with garden hoses trying to keep the flames at bay. Fortunately we were able to put out the leading edge about thirty feet away from our property. The Fire Department showed up and spent the next hour putting out the other side. Very close call.

44INAROW
02-24-2008, 11:47 PM
sure glad you're property is OK Tony - those fires can get out of hand quickly........

Old Dog
02-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Pretty darned scary is it not!!!!! That sort of thing will sure get you into the panic mode. Grass fires can move so fast in that type of situation.

Glad you and the neighbors got it halted!

sinton66
02-25-2008, 07:07 AM
What was kind of strange is the Fire Department showed up and attempted to hook up to a fire hydrant across the street from my house and couldn't get it to work. They had to go back for the tanker truck. Luckily for us, the slight wind was blowing away from our property line, so the fire moved fairly slowly toward us. The other side was moving quite rapidly. I'm guessing about 20 acres burned.

AP Panther Fan
02-25-2008, 11:24 AM
whew....glad the wind was "on your side" yesterday....absolutely amazing how fast those things spread with our typical South Texas breeze.

Quite a few years ago, we lost our home in a fire and since we are somewhat rural, we don't have a fire hydrant close by. I think the frustrating thing in our case was that once the fire department arrived, they had to get dressed, untangle hoses etc....resembled something out of the Three Stooges. Our department is paid, not volunteer.

Guess someone will be checking out those hydrants in your area in the immediate future.;)