PDA

View Full Version : I was always a diehard longhorn fan growing up but....

Necks_Fan
02-23-2008, 10:57 PM
I just realized that I couldn't care less anymore.

I always thought I would go to UT but now that I'm trying to get into Rice, I really don't care about them anymore.

I mean, I still want them to do well in sports, but I'm not going to die if they lose like before.

Idk why I thought about this, maybe I'm maturing but I always hated aggie fans and now I respect them for supporting a good university.

This is kind of random but does anyone else feel like me?

navscanmaster
02-24-2008, 05:10 AM
I have always had the utmost respect for any university. They are, after all, places of learning. I will pull for any Texas team until they play Texas A&M. Funny thing though, I am actually thinking about my devotion to A&M a little, and this is why. It is wonderful to have such great traditions, but A&M is just so unappreciative of change that it hurts. It seems that to the alumni, anything that anybody does, or anybody new that comes to the university just can't live up to the past and tradition of Aggieland. If Turgeon keeps losing to teams like Nebraska and Okie State in College Station, he will not be around long in the basketball program. And in football, it seems like even with a NFL experienced coach, the only question is "can he live up to the Slocum legacy?"
Maybe I am overthinking this too much, but I love the Aggies and every other Texas team regardless because it is all about getting the kids to the next level of life, whether it be the job market or the free agent market. Glad to see somebody else is taking the sane approach to being a fan of college sports though.

SUPERMANN5107
02-24-2008, 05:35 AM
I know how ya feel. it was tough rooting for baylor against UT, but somehow I found myself cheerin the Bears on. It was really strange at first but towards the beginning of the 2nd quarter, it felt natural

sinton66
02-24-2008, 07:02 AM
I, too, was always a diehard Longhorn fan growing up, and nothing's changed.:D

Phil C
02-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
I, too, was always a diehard Longhorn fan growing up, and nothing's changed.:D

Me too 66! Necks needs to see the error of his current thinking. :)

Panther One
02-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
I have always had the utmost respect for any university. They are, after all, places of learning. I will pull for any Texas team until they play Texas A&M. Funny thing though, I am actually thinking about my devotion to A&M a little, and this is why. It is wonderful to have such great traditions, but A&M is just so unappreciative of change that it hurts. It seems that to the alumni, anything that anybody does, or anybody new that comes to the university just can't live up to the past and tradition of Aggieland. If Turgeon keeps losing to teams like Nebraska and Okie State in College Station, he will not be around long in the basketball program. And in football, it seems like even with a NFL experienced coach, the only question is "can he live up to the Slocum legacy?"
Maybe I am overthinking this too much, but I love the Aggies and every other Texas team regardless because it is all about getting the kids to the next level of life, whether it be the job market or the free agent market. Glad to see somebody else is taking the sane approach to being a fan of college sports though.
It sounds like you are reading TexAgs too much. Change is happening at A&M. It began with President Gates and will continue now that we have our first minority and woman president. It's not an overnight process, but it's happening. The student body is changing and therefore the future alumni base will be different. Right now, the alumni with the money are still a bunch of old white guys that went to A&M when it was all male, all military. You have to keep that in mind when making decisions if you want their donations to keep supporting the university.

From an athletic standpoint, coaches are always going to be compared to the best years of the university. Slocum resided over some of the best football teams, so until someone tops him, there will be comparisons. Gillispie turned the basketball program into what it is, so of course Turgeon is going to face criticism, whether its justified or not. If you go back and read or listen to some of Turgeon's preseason or early season press conferences, he flat out tells you that he didn't have a top 15 team, which is where we were ranked to start the season. He tells you about his fears of playing without a true point gaurd and you're seeing why in conference. Most Aggie fans need to realize that losing Acie Law was a MUCH bigger loss than Gillispie. How's Billy doing without Acie at UK this year?

Turgeon was the right man for the job and will take the program to new heights. Just let him get some players in. The two guys coming in next season, will be a HUGE step forward. Right now we have an athletic team, but not a very skilled team. We don't have great ball handlers and we really only have one good shooter. Nobody on this team can create shots for themself or others. The two freshmen next year will probably step in and start, especially Harris at PG. He'll have an Augustine like impact. Byrne is not going to fire Turgeon. Hell, he kept Fran for five years and Fran wasn't even his hire. If Aggies are guilty of anything, it's of overestimating the talent of our players. Acie Law put us on his back last year and carried us to the Sweet 16. If we had a pipeline of recruits coming in, I could understand why people thought we'd be back on that level, but when you lose an All-American PG and have nothing to replace him with, you're going to be down.

Sherman will face similar criticism next year. If we don't win 10 games, there will be people saying it was a horrible hire...heck, there's already Ags that feel that way. But those same Ags thought Fran was a great hire, so what do they know? If we win 8 games in football next year, it'll be a good year, but my fellow Ags with maroon colored glasses on will be ready to jump off the cliff.

Emerson1
02-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I just realized that I couldn't care less anymore.

I always thought I would go to UT but now that I'm trying to get into Rice, I really don't care about them anymore.

I mean, I still want them to do well in sports, but I'm not going to die if they lose like before.

Idk why I thought about this, maybe I'm maturing but I always hated aggie fans and now I respect them for supporting a good university.

This is kind of random but does anyone else feel like me?
That's how I would be if I went to tech or somewhere like that.

I will always hate aggie though.

Old Tiger
02-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Maybe you just were not as die hard as you think. :D

Phil C
02-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Maybe you just were not as die hard as you think. :D

Great reply Go!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

injuredinmelee
02-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Both will look very impressive on your transcripts and resumes later in life but pick which one you think you will have the greatest experience at. College Life is what you make out of it and seek a place with lots of opportunities to enjoy and expand your own horizions.