PDA

View Full Version : Zach Thomas Signs with Cowboys

piratebg
02-23-2008, 01:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-zachthomas022308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Thomas signs with Dallas
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
27 minutes ago

INDIANAPOLIS – Seven-time Pro Bowl linebacker Zach Thomas agreed to terms on a one-year, $3 million contract with the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday morning, agent Drew Rosenhaus said. The contract breaks down as $1 million in base pay, $1 million in signing bonus and $1 million in incentives.

Thomas, who was released by Miami last week after spending 12 years with the Dolphins, flew to Indianapolis on Friday night to meet with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Jones’ son Steven. Thomas had received offers from New England and New Orleans.

However, Rosenhaus said Thomas preferred to play for the Cowboys because he is a native Texan and played collegiately at Texas Tech. Thomas was scheduled to make $5.6 million in base salary this season with the Dolphins. He was limited to five games last season after suffering two concussions.

“It’s rare that a player gets cut and is able to improve his situation like this, so Zach is very happy. His family is ecstatic,” Rosenhaus said.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I think he is a good pickup and good price. He'll bring leadership and experience, which is always a good thing.

piratebg
02-23-2008, 07:29 PM
The Cowboys are stacked at the linebacker position right now so expect to see a a couple go. Bobby Carpenter will be the first to go.

Emerson1
02-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
The Cowboys are stacked at the linebacker position right now so expect to see a a couple go. Bobby Carpenter will be the first to go.
I wonder if Bill will want him?

piratebg
02-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I wonder if Bill will want him?

Bill will take anyone JJ dumps, for the most part.

JR2004
02-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Not a bad deal. I'm sure he's really excited to come back to Texas.

piratebg
02-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I thought the Cowboys were kind of week in the middle, as far as the linebackers went. Ellis and Ware were beasts on the outside, but they need a stronger presence in the middle. Thomas is a hell of a middle linebacker. I think experience and leadership will only make them better.

pirate4state
02-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Cool. Hopefully he can get back to form this year with the 'Boys!

crzyjournalist03
02-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I could have sworn that there was somebody on this site that brought up the idea the day Thomas was released and a bunch of people told him it wouldn't work and it wouldn't happen...I guess we all owe that guy an apology...

pirate4state
02-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I could have sworn that there was somebody on this site that brought up the idea the day Thomas was released and a bunch of people told him it wouldn't work and it wouldn't happen...I guess we all owe that guy an apology... hahahaha yeah right!

OR

you could look up the thread and use this http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/images/smilies/sFun_nahnahna.gif

crzyjournalist03
02-25-2008, 10:15 AM
:D ok

Macarthur
02-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by piratebg

Actually, I think Akin will be the first to go. Carpenter is a decent backup and a good special teams player. Akin does not offer the special teams play. Plus, I've read that they could pick up some cap space by letting Akin go.

Txbroadcaster
02-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I could have sworn that there was somebody on this site that brought up the idea the day Thomas was released and a bunch of people told him it wouldn't work and it wouldn't happen...I guess we all owe that guy an apology...

I never said it would not happen, I just dont think it is that great of a move.

crzyjournalist03
02-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I never said it would not happen, I just dont think it is that great of a move.

yeah, after going back and finding the therad, I realized that you were the only one, and you didn't say it wouldn't happen...must have been arguing with some guys on another board about it.

STANG RED
02-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm anxious to see how the Cowboys use him. Dont think he'll be an every down LB, but against good rushing teams he could be good on 1st and 2nd downs plugging holes.

crzyjournalist03
02-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'm anxious to see how the Cowboys use him. Dont think he'll be an every down LB, but against good rushing teams he could be good on 1st and 2nd downs plugging holes.

he said he wasn't signing somewhere unless he could start, so I think the Cowboys must be planning on using him on almost every down if he's healthy.

Macarthur
02-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Last year was the only year recently that he's missed any time. In fact, I think I read that in the 4 years previously he had played in all 16 games in each of those years. And he was a 3 down LB for Miami. If he's healthy, I think he's a pretty significant upgrade over Akin.