PDA

View Full Version : (nf) Dish or Direct TV?

westtxfballfan
02-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Living in the sticks outside of Midland, I can't get cable. I currently have Dish, but have considered switching. Anyone researched this or had both? Any advice?

Sweetwater Red
02-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
Living in the sticks outside of Midland, I can't get cable. I currently have Dish, but have considered switching. Anyone researched this or had both? Any advice?

Have had both. DirecTv is far better if your preference is sports
related packages.

westtxfballfan
02-22-2008, 12:40 PM
That helps, and sports will factor into the choice.

eagles_victory
02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I like direct tv much better personally

crzyjournalist03
02-22-2008, 01:10 PM
I have friends that have dish, but I have DirecTV and prefer it much better.

Txbroadcaster
02-22-2008, 01:29 PM
I have had both and except for Direct having the NFL ticket, there honestly is not alot of difference

I have had better exp with Dish customer service than I did with Direct, but both offer IMO pretty much the same thing with the exception of a couple of things

rangerjim
02-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Guess it depends on what day you talk to customer service. We were all set to go to dish but after 90 minutes on the phone and getting nowhere we hung up and called Direct. They had us set up in 10 minutes. Haven't had any problems in 18 months.

Txbroadcaster
02-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by rangerjim
Guess it depends on what day you talk to customer service. We were all set to go to dish but after 90 minutes on the phone and getting nowhere we hung up and called Direct. They had us set up in 10 minutes. Haven't had any problems in 18 months.

It is like that with any customer service now days, just hope u get lucky

westtxfballfan
02-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the tips. I had a service call to swap in an HD receiver with Dish scheduled last Saturday - one of those "between 12 and 5" appointments - so I stuck close to the house on a very nice Sat afternoon for that reason only. I finally called and cancelled when their guy hadn't shown by 5:30. Of course, he showed at 6, but I sent him packing. That's why I'm thinking of giving Direct TV a try.

Txbroadcaster
02-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Was it an actual Dish guy or a contracter?

Some of the problems are actually with the contracters they use for both companies, I wish they simply had actual employees but I guess in some areas it is easier to have contracters

westtxfballfan
02-22-2008, 03:06 PM
A contractor (I'm guessing from his appearance) put the system in a couple of years ago, but this guy that eventually showed up was in a Dish cap and shirt and I assumed he was from the company itself.

Ranger Mom
02-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan

I thought you lived in Greenwood...you can't get cable?