PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Stadiums of 2-3A

Adidas410s
02-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Since Wylie's getting new field turf and there is speculation that Snyder is as well...and because it's always fun to start a Snyder/Sweetwater/Wylie/etc debate...here's what I came up with on ranking the stadiums...ready, set, argue!!!

Best Playing Surface
1. Graham
2. Brownwood
3. Sweetwater
4. Snyder/Wylie
5. Wylie/Snyder
6. Breckenridge

Stadium History
1. Brownwood
2. Breckenridge
3. Sweetwater
4. Graham
5. Wylie/Snyder
6. Snyder/Wylie

Best Place to Play
1. Sweetwater/Brownwood
2. Brownwood/Sweetwater
3. Graham
4. Wylie/Snyder
5. Snyder/Wylie
6. Breckenridge

Best Facilities
1. Graham
2. Brownwood
3. Wylie
4. Snyder
5. Sweetwater (get new restrooms :mad: )
6. Breckenridge

Best Overall (based on points)
1. Brownwood (6.5)
2. Graham (9)
3. Sweetwater (12.5)
4. Wylie (17.5)
5. Snyder (18.5)
6. Breckenridge (20)

***(When you see Wylie/Snyder and then Snyder/Wylie...that means I think the first team PROBABLY goes in that slot but you could swap them w/ the other team listed)***

If you wanted to do a Weighted Average Ranking (yes I know...here are my glasses --->:nerd: )...it would look like this:

http://xs124.xs.to/xs124/08085/23astadiumrank906.jpg

***I gave 50% to Field, 15% to History, 20% to Atmosphere, and 15% to Facilities***

BwdLions
02-22-2008, 10:54 AM
You did a great job of scoring the stadiums in 2-3A. However, I don't think Graham's facilities are very good. The stadium is old and the locker rooms are old and small. However, they are in the middle of renovating the high school and building new locker rooms. The only thing they have to brag about right now is the new turf. (It's the same turf as Brownwood, it's just three years newer).

BwdLions
02-22-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't know about Breckenridge's locker rooms, but I love watching games at Buckaroo stadium. It doesn't have a track, so you're right on top of the action.

Adidas410s
02-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions
You did a great job of scoring the stadiums in 2-3A. However, I don't think Graham's facilities are very good. The stadium is old and the locker rooms are old and small. However, they are in the middle of renovating the high school and building new locker rooms. The only thing they have to brag about right now is the new turf. (It's the same turf as Brownwood, it's just three years newer).
I should've prefaced my "facilities" ranking as more of "facilities for fans (concessions, parking, restrooms, and stands)." Since I haven't been in the locker rooms of all of these schools I didn't think it fair to include that in my decision. That could definitely impact the ranking of some teams.

Sweetwater Red
02-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't know about Breckenridge's locker rooms, but I love watching games at Buckaroo stadium. It doesn't have a track, so you're right on top of the action.

You oughta go see a game in Clyde. I don't think there is
another stadium in Texas that puts you that close to the action.

Adidas410s
02-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Having spent a year on the sidelines at Breck while in college...it's definitely a fun stadium to watch a game from...but unfortunately a lot of people aren't as into the old style stadiums as I. I love stadiums that have a red/orange brick building in one endzone. It's a very simple, classic look that provides an intimate feel to a stadium. Other than that, their restrooms and concessions are lacking and parking is a constant headache.

Adidas410s
02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
lol ain't that the truth. Try going to a Wylie game in Clyde. Their band takes up most of the stands so you end up with fans 3 deep all the way down the fenceline.

Texasfootball2
02-22-2008, 11:06 AM
With the exception of the present (and soon to be remodeled) football stadium, I think Wylie's facilities are tops in the district. New Gym is awesome and the Doghouse:thinking: well it is what it is and no other school has anything close. The only facility at Graham that would be atop the list is the baseball facility.

Sweetwater Red
02-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I should've prefaced my "facilities" ranking as more of "facilities for fans (concessions, parking, restrooms, and stands)." Since I haven't been in the locker rooms of all of these schools I didn't think it fair to include that in my decision. That could definitely impact the ranking of some teams.

Sweetwater has already passed a bond that ensures we will
have new restrooms before the start of next season. Please
adjust that ranking by putting us ahead of atleast Snyder.:mad:

I mean Snyder ahead of Sweetwater? Come on...:doh:

Adidas410s
02-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
With the exception of the present (and soon to be remodeled) football stadium, I think Wylie's facilities are tops in the district. New Gym is awesome and the Doghouse:thinking: well it is what it is and no other school has anything close. The only facility at Graham that would be atop the list is the baseball facility.
I was ranking facilities that are in use during a game. These rankings would change greatly if we were ranking athletic facilities as a whole and Wylie would be an easy #1. There is a new gym at Wylie??? As in different than the one that was there 5 years ago???

Texasfootball2
02-22-2008, 11:18 AM
I was ranking facilities that are in use during a game. These rankings would change greatly if we were ranking athletic facilities as a whole and Wylie would be an easy #1. There is a new gym at Wylie??? As in different than the one that was there 5 years ago???
They knock out the south wall and added a balcony and seats right behind the goal that start at the floor. You would have to see it to get a good mental picture, but it's awesome and our students love the so called endzone seats. Visitors hate it because they have to put up with the students while trying to shoot free throws in the second half. Add about 450 seats, all individual seats! Also added individual seats to home side, new top notch scoreboards and an unbelievable sound system. You wouldn't recongnized the place.

DaHop72
02-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Sorry Ad but Graham doesn't fit that high on facilities. Stands are okay but the bathrooms are on par with Snyder and the visitors concession is a tent set up against the north end of the stands.:mad:

bwdlionfan
02-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Brownwood ISD is doing a $34 million renovation, but that's mainly to the academic portions of the campuses. I'm not sure but something is probably going to be done to the gym. Do any schools in the district besides Brownwood have an indoor turf practice facility?

DaHop72
02-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Brownwood ISD is doing a $34 million renovation, but that's mainly to the academic portions of the campuses. I'm not sure but something is probably going to be done to the gym. Do any schools in the district besides Brownwood have an indoor turf practice facility? Wylie does and Snyder is fixing to built one.

DU_stud04
02-22-2008, 11:55 AM
i hear sweetwater is adding more seats all the way around, the adding a second deck then to finish it off a tunnel coming from the northwest corner of the endzone.... did i mention the jumbo tron and retractable roof? big things coming.

maybe it was just the restrooms.... i forget :D

Sweetwater Red
02-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i hear sweetwater is adding more seats all the way around, the adding a second deck then to finish it off a tunnel coming from the northwest corner of the endzone.... did i mention the jumbo tron and retractable roof? big things coming.

I hear Jerry Jones is going to bank roll it so the Cowboys can
have their training camp a little closer to home.:D :devil:

DaHop72
02-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I hear Jerry Jones is going to bank roll it so the Cowboys can
have their training camp a little closer to home.:D :devil: Man I wish the wind was blowing out of the southeast today, it sure would warm things up my way.:devil: :devil:

Lion_Addict
02-22-2008, 12:39 PM

Went to watch Bangs play at Clyde a couple of years ago, and I agree with ya.....it puts you on top of the action. I can't say the place is very attractive though, and the parking was a nightmare :doh:

Adidas410s
02-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Sorry Ad but Graham doesn't fit that high on facilities. Stands are okay but the bathrooms are on par with Snyder and the visitors concession is a tent set up against the north end of the stands.:mad:
Well...I do sit on the home side when I go Graham games! ;)

Did Snyder get new restroooms? Maybe my memory is bad in my old age...but I remember Graham having pretty nice restrooms...and well...nothing about Snyder was all that memorable. Well except for always taking home a W when I was there! :D

RMAC
02-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Graham passed a bond last year to renovate the school. Along with funding for a new softball field. They also allocated money to buy up the houses on the north end of the field to add a new practice field and fieldhouses, as well as concession stands for the visitors' side, as the new wing on the school will seemingly double the area of the school. It's hard to add much due to the location of the school, but that's one thing I love about Graham. The HS is pretty much in the dead center of the town. Parking sucks but hey, that's what you get for building your school in the middle of town. The problem is, the field was built in 1946, when there wasn't anything east of the field. Once it all gets done, it will be something else. I worked with the contracted electrician over Christmas running wire in the school and it already looks completely different.

Adidas410s
02-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Graham passed a bond last year to renovate the school. Along with funding for a new softball field. They also allocated money to buy up the houses on the north end of the field to add a new practice field and fieldhouses, as well as concession stands for the visitors' side, as the new wing on the school will seemingly double the area of the school. It's hard to add much due to the location of the school, but that's one thing I love about Graham. The HS is pretty much in the dead center of the town. Parking sucks but hey, that's what you get for building your school in the middle of town. The problem is, the field was built in 1946, when there wasn't anything east of the field. Once it all gets done, it will be something else. I worked with the contracted electrician over Christmas running wire in the school and it already looks completely different.
fat

Adidas410s
02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
They also allocated money to buy up the houses on the north end of the field.
So that will cost what...about $25,000 to buy them all up???

nobogey72
02-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Brownwood ISD is doing a $34 million renovation, but that's mainly to the academic portions of the campuses. I'm not sure but something is probably going to be done to the gym. Do any schools in the district besides Brownwood have an indoor turf practice facility?

We built the doghouse at Wylie about 2 years after ya'll built your "big room". I don't mean this to sound like it is probably going to sound but it is the truth. Our whole philosophy of our doghouse was to make it twice as big (which it is) and nicer than Brownwood's big room. It is a full 50 yd long striped and hashed field, with a full basketball court at one end, and full workout facility at the other (free weights, machines, cardio, etc.) drop down batting cages, pole vault box and area, and a jogging track around the entire thing (on the inside). There are 3 or 4 TVs to watch while using the workout area, great sound system. If it sounds like I'm extremely proud of it, You are right. With the help of Dr. Pepper/ Pepsi, several businesses in town, pledges from probably 200 families, to be paid out over 5 years, plus numerous other fundraisers, we were able to make it happen. It is open to anyone that lives in the Wylie ISD from 5:00 AM to 8:00AM when school starts, and then again after school till 10:00 PM. We also let good looking blondes that don't live in the WISD use it as long as they are properly attired (you know what I mean). It really is a fantastic facility, and we are lucky to have it. And, not one dime of it was tax money. There you have it, I answered your question.:)

Heffelfinger
02-22-2008, 03:13 PM
http://www.wylie.esc14.net/Athletics/Athletics%20Home.htm

Found this on the Wylie website.

click on The Doghouse on the left panel.

Texasfootball2
02-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Heffelfinger
http://www.wylie.esc14.net/Athletics/Athletics%20Home.htm

Found this on the Wylie website.

click on The Doghouse on the left panel.

Pictures are nice but they don't do the Doghouse justice. You don't realize just how big it is until you are inside it. Pictures don't show the two lane jogging track or drop down nets.

kepdawg
02-22-2008, 03:33 PM
It does look like a nice community center. The boys are lucky to live in a community that is so supportive.

Sweetwater Red
02-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
The boys are lucky to live in a community that is so supportive.

You mean financially well off?:D :devil:

Adidas410s
02-22-2008, 03:36 PM
No...it's supportive. Wylie isn't Highland Park WTX. It just doesn't really have a lower class. It's about 3% "lower class" 95% "middle class" and 2% "upper class."

Financially well off doesn't send 100 kids out for football...a very supportive community does! Financially well off doesn't have 20% of the student body involved in band, cheerleading, etc at football games...but a very supportive community does!

kepdawg
02-22-2008, 03:37 PM

Did I say that? :thinking:

Sweetwater Red
02-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Did I say that? :thinking:

No. I did.

Sweetwater Red
02-22-2008, 04:36 PM
No...it's supportive. Wylie isn't Highland Park WTX. It just doesn't really have a lower class. It's about 3% "lower class" 95% "middle class" and 2% "upper class."

Financially well off doesn't send 100 kids out for football...a very supportive community does! Financially well off doesn't have 20% of the student body involved in band, cheerleading, etc at football games...but a very supportive community does!

Poke...poke....:D

Adidas410s
02-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Poke...poke....:D
You're just jealous cuz our restrooms have doors on the stalls!!! :D :D :D

Sweetwater Red
02-22-2008, 04:46 PM

....and toilet paper?:eek: :D

nobogey72
02-22-2008, 04:59 PM

I may be the only one, but I like Sweetwater's resrooms. It gives me the sensation that I am just peeing on the floor. Which is generally what I do at home, so it is kind of like "going home". If it was a food it would be a "comfort food". Don't change the restrooms at the Bowl. Just the endzones. In fact, if you don't change the endzone color, I may wait till they turn out the lights and pee on them, (instead of the restroom floor).:D :D

Sweetwater Red
02-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
In fact, if you don't change the endzone color, I may wait till they turn out the lights and pee on them, (instead of the restroom floor).:D :D

Bad idea. We electrify the field to keep out of towners from doing
that after the last time you got caught.:D

STANG RED
02-22-2008, 05:08 PM
I may be the only one, but I like Sweetwater's resrooms. It gives me the sensation that I am just peeing on the floor. Which is generally what I do at home, so it is kind of like "going home". If it was a food it would be a "comfort food". Don't change the restrooms at the Bowl. Just the endzones. In fact, if you don't change the endzone color, I may wait till they turn out the lights and pee on them, (instead of the restroom floor).:D :D

Go ahead, heck you owe us one anyway. I peed in the ice machine at the concession stand at Wylie the last time I was there. Didn’t you notice the ice had a yellow ting and a salty taste? :devil:

Sweetwater Red
02-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Go ahead, heck you owe us one anyway. I peed in the ice machine at the concession stand at Wylie the last time I was there. Didn’t you notice the ice had a yellow ting and a salty taste? :devil:

:clap: :D :clap:

nobogey72
02-22-2008, 05:16 PM

Oh man. And I took that coke back too. I thought they had given me pickle juice by mistake. I owe that lady an apology. That also explains why I woke up in the middle of the night with an urge to go to the Rattlesnake Roundup. I thought I was going crazy. :doh: :doh:

STANG RED
02-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Oh man. And I took that coke back too. I thought they had given me pickle juice by mistake. I owe that lady an apology. That also explains why I woke up in the middle of the night with an urge to go to the Rattlesnake Roundup. I thought I was going crazy. :doh: :doh:

HA HA HA, well come on over to the roundup this year. I'll treat you to a good cool drink with perfectly clear ice, and maybe a shot or two of the good stuff from the top shelf.;)

Adidas410s
02-22-2008, 05:31 PM
HA HA HA, well come on over to the roundup this year. I'll treat you to a good cool drink with perfectly clear ice, and maybe a shot or two of the good stuff from the top shelf.;)
watch out Bogey...Gran Pappy's "top shelf" will knock you into next Tuesday! :eek:

kepdawg
02-22-2008, 05:33 PM
I can't believe no one has asked you to do their district yet!

Black_Magic
02-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Since Wylie's getting new field turf and there is speculation that Snyder is as well...and because it's always fun to start a Snyder/Sweetwater/Wylie/etc debate...here's what I came up with on ranking the stadiums...ready, set, argue!!!

Best Playing Surface
1. Graham
2. Brownwood
3. Sweetwater
4. Snyder/Wylie
5. Wylie/Snyder
6. Breckenridge

[ This part of this deal is the one that is the biggest question mark. According to your logic , Field turf is a better playing surface than Grass. I and Many disagree. Even the two of the 4 best football programs in the state ( UT and TCU ) agree with that. Nice Grass is better to play on. Snyder has some of the best grass in the state. If the standard for a good field is field turff , then your ranking is good. if you factor good grass as being a better surface then it is all wrong. I say it is a combination of both. Sweetwater has the worst of field turff fields in the district. In My oppinion Bronwood has better turff than graham even though its older. Dont know a thing about Breckenridge... Snyder has better grass than Wylie. I think just to assume field turff is is better is flawed.

nobogey72
02-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
This part of this deal is the one that is the biggest question mark. According to your logic , Field turf is a better playing surface than Grass. I and Many disagree. Even the two of the 4 best football programs in the state ( UT and TCU ) agree with that. Nice Grass is better to play on. Snyder has some of the best grass in the state. If the standard for a good field is field turff , then your ranking is good. if you factor good grass as being a better surface then it is all wrong. I say it is a combination of both. Sweetwater has the worst of field turff fields in the district. In My oppinion Bronwood has better turff than graham even though its older. Dont know a thing about Breckenridge... Snyder has better grass than Wylie. I think just to assume field turff is is better is flawed.

Maybe turf is better than turff. We're getting turf. I don't know what Bronwood has. I don't even know where Bronwood is. :D

VWG
02-22-2008, 09:07 PM

Yeah, and they are building a brand new hoops gym that will seat 2,000 right??
Should be completed for next hoops season???

RMAC
02-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Yeah, and they are building a brand new hoops gym that will seat 2,000 right??
Should be completed for next hoops season???

Yeah, that's part of the renovation to the school.

Adidas410s
02-22-2008, 10:45 PM
This part of this deal is the one that is the biggest question mark. According to your logic , Field turf is a better playing surface than Grass. I and Many disagree. Even the two of the 4 best football programs in the state ( UT and TCU ) agree with that. Nice Grass is better to play on. Snyder has some of the best grass in the state. If the standard for a good field is field turff , then your ranking is good. if you factor good grass as being a better surface then it is all wrong. I say it is a combination of both. Sweetwater has the worst of field turff fields in the district. In My oppinion Bronwood has better turff than graham even though its older. Dont know a thing about Breckenridge... Snyder has better grass than Wylie. I think just to assume field turff is is better is flawed.
I'm not assuming field turf is better. I'm stating that I think Graham and Brownwood have the best playing surfaces in the district. You have the right to disagree with me. Wylie and Breck aren't that great and are very worn down by the end of the year. I haven't been to Snyder in a few years but when I was...their field never came across to me as in "great shape." Their baseball field is an entirely different issue...absolutely LOVE Moffett (sp) Field.

Even though I've never thought Sweetwater had great turf (granules never seem to be that well packed, pink endzones, it's in a giant hole)...IMO a field that has grass of a consistent height with some soft spots is better than a field with worn down grass and some dead spots. That's how I made my decision. Like I said, my recollection of Snyder's field may be different than what it was a few years ago. If I thought that any of the schools that still have grass were better than the schools with turf...then my rankings would indicate that. If this was 4 years ago and Graham was still playing on grass...they would still be pretty high up. If this was 4 years ago (or maybe 6...don't remember) when Gordon Wood still had grass...it would be lower. Their field was consistently in less than stellar shape late in the season...and that's not including the year(s) when they were flooded out.

Personally, I would list UT and A&M instead of TCU for fields that have great grass. Too bad not every HS can't afford to maintain and re-sod their field like a D1 college. If they could...there wouldn't be the same market for field turf.

Also...why not bring up the safety issue of playing on field turf??? Field Turf is proven to reduce the risk of injury vs any other surface...including grass. After all, a coach should be concerned about wanting to protect his players as much as possible, correct???

Black_Magic
02-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm not assuming field turf is better. I'm stating that I think Graham and Brownwood have the best playing surfaces in the district. Im sorry. It looked like you thought field turf was better than Grass. your top 3 teams listed all have field turf and bottom 3 have grass. A well maintained grass field ( one that is using golf green methods) is always better to play on than a field turf field IMO. Sure it is better until about mid october. late October they they are not like in august and september and first part of October (80% of the season). I didnt mean to put words in your mouth. It just looked like the quality of field surface in your comparison had mainly to do with if a school had field truf or not. It must have been a coencidence that your first 3 all have the field turf and the last 3 dont.

Ranger Mom
02-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Im sorry. It looked like you thought field turf was better than Grass. your top 3 teams listed all have field turf and bottom 3 have grass. A well maintained grass field ( one that is using golf green methods) is always better to play on than a field turf field IMO. Sure it is better until about mid october. late October they they are not like in august and september and first part of October (80% of the season). I didnt mean to put words in your mouth. It just looked like the quality of field surface in your comparison had mainly to do with if a school had field truf or not. It must have been a coencidence that your first 3 all have the field turf and the last 3 dont.

I think I read somewhere in this thread that Snyder is looking into field turf...is that a possibility? If so, what are thoughts on that?

I heard Greenwood was possibly getting it, but haven't heard anything more....we did get a new track though, thank goodness!!

Ranger Mom
02-23-2008, 10:50 AM
It does look like a nice community center. The boys are lucky to live in a community that is so supportive.

HaHa!! Was that a "Celina jab" or did I completely take it the wrong way?:D

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Well the whole grass vs. turf thing is great, if these schools where in the Hill Country or somewhere that water is plentiful and it's not 110 Degrees halfway through the season I'd love for them to all have grass. However I think the turf is way better in the long run in West Texas because of how bad grass can be by the end of the season, forget just wear and tear from playing.

Ranger Mom
02-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think I read somewhere in this thread that Snyder is looking into field turf...is that a possibility? If so, what are thoughts on that?

I heard Greenwood was possibly getting it, but haven't heard anything more....we did get a new track though, thank goodness!!

*RETRACTION*

After rereading, I realized they were talking about turf for an INDOOR facility!!:doh:

LionKing
02-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Sweetwater and Brownwood host more playoff games than the rest of 2-3A, Brownwood usually hosts a couple of 5A games each year, and also hosted the 2A DII State Championship this past season, Howard Payne Univ. also plays at Gordon Wood Stadium.
As for the arguement of grass over turf, well, I love grass as much as anyone, but nothing is worse than a wore out rutted grass field in October and November, and when it rains, oh well,you get the picture, and when playoff time comes, teams will pick a turf field over a grass field every time.

Black_Magic
02-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by LionKing
when playoff time comes, teams will pick a turf field over a grass field every time. Not all the time. Snyder Sweewater played a quarterfinal game in Big Spring on Grass. in 2004. some prefer grass. Even a slightly worn grass field is better than a turf field. IF Lowery field or Shotwell stadium was Grass they would still host a great number of playoff games. We would even like it more . Its usualy the size of the stadium and location that determines where teams meet for playoffs. not surface so much. Nothing like good grass for sports in general especialy football. Rose bowl, cotton bowl. UT A&M, TCU, reliant stadium.List can go on and on. If the Grass is treated like a golf green then there is nothing better. Snyder had an oportunity to get a turf field but opted for a 50 yard indor practice field. Grass is better when it is taken care of and not treated like some back yard. But this thread is compleatly acurate if your assuming Field Truf is better than Grass. if you believe good grass is better then its a little off IMO.

LionKing
02-23-2008, 10:07 PM
As I stated before, I love grass as much as anyone on a football field, I been to DKR in Austin and love the field, they have a heck of a drainage system I've been told, the best grass field money can buy, the trouble with high school grass stadiums is that they don't have the resources to maintain a field like DKR, schools in east Texas where it rains a lot more, fields really get messy and tore up, a big reason Brownwood went to turf was because in 01' and 02', we had quite a bit of rain, the field got tore up with the games as the season went on, then come playoff time, the field wasn't in the greatest shape, teams afraid it was gonna rain during the playoffs, wanted stadiums with turf, even going out of way out of their ways to find one, we lost several playoff games those years, then in 2003 after installing turf, teams were even wanting to schedule regular season games during weeks Brownwood was not scheduled to play at home, since 03' there have been 1-2 games every year, once a couple of 2A teams even played a district game in Gordon Wood because their grass field was to muddy and tore up that particular week.
Also, since turf was added, we've had many multiple playoff games on the same weekends, with grass, very seldom did that occur before.
So yea, grass when it's in the best shape, is better than turf, but as has been stated, grass ain't very good in late Oct. or Nov.

Snyder_TigerFan
02-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I am not one that is "in the know", but, personally, I much rather to see Snyder stay away from the "norm" (going with turf) and spend the money to improve the stadium. They have the field looking fantastic thru Aug - Oct, but after that mother nature takes is course. I haven't heard anything about the ISD looking into turf but I have read a thing or two about an indoor facitlity. We shall see....

Adidas410s
02-24-2008, 12:55 AM
Not all the time. Snyder Sweewater played a quarterfinal game in Big Spring on Grass. in 2004. some prefer grass. Even a slightly worn grass field is better than a turf field. IF Lowery field or Shotwell stadium was Grass they would still host a great number of playoff games. We would even like it more . Its usualy the size of the stadium and location that determines where teams meet for playoffs. not surface so much. Nothing like good grass for sports in general especialy football. Rose bowl, cotton bowl. UT A&M, TCU, reliant stadium.List can go on and on. If the Grass is treated like a golf green then there is nothing better. Snyder had an oportunity to get a turf field but opted for a 50 yard indor practice field. Grass is better when it is taken care of and not treated like some back yard. But this thread is compleatly acurate if your assuming Field Truf is better than Grass. if you believe good grass is better then its a little off IMO.
If we were discussing stadiums in an area that got 30+ inches of a rain a year (see TCU, Texas, A&M, etc)...then yes grass fields would be at the top of the list. However, it's just not feasible to maintain a great grass field in West Texas for football. Furthermore, the cost of doing so in West Texas would be astronomical. If you thought the old turf at Jones or Ratliff was rock hard...imagine if they had put down natural grass and you were playing a game in October after the summer had killed the grass and there had been 4" of rain in the past 120 days. It would be like playing on concrete.

I don't think anybody would make a blanket statement that field turf is better than grass. However, for West Texas...it's a great alternative to grass and can provide a quality (disregard pink endzones) playing surface for games from August through December. Grass simply cannot be maintained to that same level for a HS in West Texas. They don't have the money to pay for that type of upkeep.

grmfan93
02-25-2008, 08:43 AM
our new practice field is a 60 yrd indoor facility...plus we are getting a new track