PDA

View Full Version : Spurs trade for Kurt Thomas

kepdawg
02-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Spurs reportedly send Barry, Elson to Sonics for Thomas

ESPN.com news services

Updated: February 20, 2008, 7:23 PM ET

The San Antonio Spurs have added some frontline help, trading for Seattle Sonics forward/center Kurt Thomas, a league source told Yahoo.com on Wednesday.

According to the report, Seattle will receive guard Brent Barry, center Francisco Elson and a 2009 first-round draft pick.

Former Sixers GM Billy King told ESPN that the teams are in the process of finalizing the deal with the league.

"For everything he's done in the NBA and what he brings to a team and what he brought to this team, I learned a lot being around him," Sonics guard Earl Watson said, according to the Seattle Times. "Especially on the court and off the court. Rarely do you get a big man who knows the game like a guard. I expect to see his numbers improve because of the type of guys around him."

Thomas, 35, was in his first season with the Sonics after being acquired in July 2007 from the Phoenix Suns. Seattle also received two first-round picks in that deal, as Phoenix tried to shed salary. He is now in the final year of a contract that pays him $8.1 million this season.

Thomas has averaged 9.9 points and 7.5 rebounds per game in a 13-year career. He is putting up 7.5 points and 8.8 rebounds per game this season. Barry, 36, is averaging 7.3 points and making 1.6 3-pointers per game, while Elson, 31, is averaging 3.5 points and 3.3 rebounds.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3255661)

Phil C
02-21-2008, 08:37 AM
We're giving up too much. :(

Phil C
02-21-2008, 08:57 AM
The Spurs are obviously trying to courteract what the Lakers, Suns and Mavs have done. :(

Maroon87
02-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I hate to see Bones go. He was a real piece of work, with a pretty good jump shot.;)

JR2004
02-21-2008, 02:10 PM
The least surprising trade made by any team. Who didn't see this one coming?