PDA

View Full Version : Region II girls' basketball

txkmom
02-20-2008, 12:38 PM
The regional tournament is set for this weekend in Commerce
Kennedale v Liberty Eylau, 6 p.m., then
Roosevelt v Mt Vernon, 8 p.m. Friday

TLE and MV are both from District 16-3A, co-champions, and met last year @ regionals. They both face tough opponents in Kennedale and Dallas Roosevelt, but may meet again. They split in district play, agreed to accept co-championships, and flipped for the opportunity to select their playoff seed (MV won coin toss and selected the 2nd seed).

eagles_victory
02-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Destiny Huges I believe her name is from Kennedale may be the best girls player in the state this year. I think it could be a Kennedale Mt Vernon final but never count out TLE after they made it to state last year.

txkmom
02-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Very tough region:
MV graduated Jamie Adair, but retains Aly Sherman and at least 3 players that excel @3 pointers.
LE lost some key seniors plus do-it-all point guard Mattilyn McIntyre and now plays a majority of underclassmen.
LE played Kennedale last year - they have some super players returning. Isn't Hughes a coach's daughter?
Roosevelt? All I know is they have a great record. Anyone have any info?

eagles_victory
02-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by txkmom
Very tough region:
MV graduated Jamie Adair, but retains Aly Sherman and at least 3 players that excel @3 pointers.
LE lost some key seniors plus do-it-all point guard Mattilyn McIntyre and now plays a majority of underclassmen.
LE played Kennedale last year - they have some super players returning. Isn't Hughes a coach's daughter?
Roosevelt? All I know is they have a great record. Anyone have any info? Yea her dad was an assistant at Waxahacie when they won state in 4a. He got the Kennedale job after that season and brought Destiny with him who played every minute of the state tournament and averaged 14 a game in the state tournament as a soph.

kepdawg
02-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Roosevelt (26-6) has a chip on its shoulder. The feeling that it is underrated and unloved by North Texas basketball followers has guided its stellar playoff run, particularly the 74-62 victory over Frisco Wakeland in a 3A Region II quarterfinal Tuesday.

"A lot of people didn't expect us to make it this far," junior post Trudy Armstead said. "They were expecting us to lose in the first round."

Roosevelt walloped Nevada Community, 94-69, in the area round before knocking off Wakeland. Roosevelt hasn't scored fewer than 60 points since December. Junior guard Nicole Peavy had one last thought for any remaining doubters: "We'll see you at state."

Roosevelt takes on Mount Vernon in a regional semifinal at 8 p.m. Friday at Texas A&M-Commerce.

LINK (http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/sharedcontent/dws/content/topstories/stories/022108dnspogbbdate.2a8a784.html)

bleedgreen
02-21-2008, 06:18 AM
I saw last year's game between TLE and Kennedale. 4 seniors and others return from Kennedale and they remember how disappointing it was to lose.

Dallas Roosevelt probably has a high octane offense but they will have to contend with the smothering defense of Kennedale in the regional final Saturday night. There would have to be some huge upsets for these two teams not to meet and I don't look for that to happen.

I'm pulling for Kennedale with 2 D1 players and some good 3-point shooters. I'm afraid Kennedale has too many weapons. If the refs let them play, this will be an offensive shootout. THe refs were very bad in the Kennedale/Princeton game and both coaches were letting them have it. THe refs can make or break a game especially if it's one sided. Don't miss the Saturday night game....it will e a doozy.

Sftball4Life
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I read on another board that some of the Roosevelt players had plenty to say to the Wakeland fans from on the floor during Tuesday night's game. I got to thinking about it and that name stuck in my mind... Roosevelt, Roosevelt....

Is this the same school that got into a fight with Gilmer during the football playoffs? Anybody know?

eagles_victory
02-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Sftball4Life
I read on another board that some of the Roosevelt players had plenty to say to the Wakeland fans from on the floor during Tuesday night's game. I got to thinking about it and that name stuck in my mind... Roosevelt, Roosevelt....

Is this the same school that got into a fight with Gilmer during the football playoffs? Anybody know? yes it was

kepdawg
02-21-2008, 05:22 PM

Is this the same school that got into a fight with Gilmer during the football playoffs? Anybody know?

Wakeland fans...probably were asking for it, got it, and are now crying about it.

eagles_victory
02-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Wakeland fans...probably were asking for it, got it, and are now crying about it. seriously if your going to get all over kids while their playing you cant pitch a fit when they shut you up by beating you and let you know about it.

Sftball4Life
02-21-2008, 05:37 PM
I just thought the name sounded familiar to me for some reason.

I haven't gotten to see Wakeland or Roosevelt play - but from all accounts it sounds like the game between the two was very heated.

Tomorrow night should be well worth the price of admission. Both of these games should be great if everybody plays to their potential. It's a tough region.

JR2004
02-21-2008, 06:33 PM

You knew the answer before you asked...

JR2004
02-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Wakeland fans...probably were asking for it, got it, and are now crying about it.

A good chunk of suburban schools and their fans still take it personally when they feel they've been beaten by an inferior inner-city school. Don't like Roosevelt at all, but I've gotta root for them. Both the boys and the girls in this case.