PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater to get ultra modern.......

GetRDoneStangs
02-19-2008, 06:47 PM
A technologically advanced coal-fueled electric generating station able to capture up to 90 percent of the carbon dioxide that would otherwise enter the atmosphere.

It sounds like there is a few "maybes"......but they bought the land and filed for the permit. This could be huge for the area if it really happens! A few years ago Sweetwater was about to dry up and blow away.....now it can become a Meca for Green Power??! :eek: :eek:

link http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/

I see a major housing shortage and maybe water being a problem......but the folks can hope and dream the energy boom continues!

Speaking of dreaming......
I'm dreaming of a few "Move ins"
The ones that like the others get to know
A couple that can run, another to throw
A few more to block for the All State Tight Ends

:D :D :D :D :D

Lets wait and see what the tree huggers have to say about this plant........:nerd: :nerd:

loboes86
02-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Its not futurgen is it?:)

Ranger Mom
02-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Green Power??

I wonder if Black Magic will move there??:thinking: :p

GetRDoneStangs
02-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by loboes86
Its not futurgen is it?:)

Not sure there....they capture up to 90% of the CO2 emmisions and plan to use it to enhance oil production in the Permian Basin. I know they have a lot of CO2 recovery in the Snyder area. It sounds like a good idea......

Especially if the folks move in have kids that can.......you know.....

Sweetwater Red
02-20-2008, 01:06 PM
I read about this yesterday. They say 2,000 jobs at peak
construction and a 100 permanent when completed. I can hear
the Snyder and Wylie posters now.....

What's the 4A cutoff?

Whatever Sweetwater's enrollment is +1.:thinking: :D

BMOC
02-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
What's the 4A cutoff?

Hey, That is our MOTTO!!!:D

Sweetwater Red
02-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
Hey, That is our MOTTO!!!:D

Not for much longer.:)

After we reach the semi-finals two out of three years, Snyder
will be accusing us of doing it with move-ins. How classless is
that?:thinking: :devil:

GreenMonster
02-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Green Power??

I wonder if Black Magic will move there??:thinking: :p I thought Ol' Blackie was into white power, not green power???? :confused:

Ranger Mom
02-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I thought Ol' Blackie was into white power, not green power???? :confused:

As much as we hear from him about Global Warning, I just figured he was in the "Think Green" movement!

STANG RED
02-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Looks like it'll be out near the waste water treatment plant east of town. I think I know who owns that land now. And the rich just keep on getting richer.:rolleyes: none the less, it will be an economic boom for the community if it gets approved. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

From the article:
The question is why Sweetwater for this new trailblazing technology.
“We like Texas as a state,” said Bill Braudt, Tenaska’s general manager of business development. “The site is just perfect.”
The 1,900 acres is more than enough for the company and like many Texans, Tenaska officials and employees are “green people.”
“This is a wonderful site,” he added.
The project will provide a significant boost to the local economy. Tenaska will invest more than $2 billion in construction. The total cost of the project is more than $3 billion.
“It is exciting to see this innovation coming to West Texas,” said Texas State Sen. Robert Duncan. “Tenaska’s approach to energy generation through the capture of 90 percent of carbon dioxide and reduced water consumption is unique, and we West Texans pride ourselves on seeking new ways to achieve better results. We expect a strong partnership with Tenaska that will revolutionize this industry.”
Speaking to a group of Sweetwater business leaders today, Braudt said that “the benefits of this proposed plant are many. It will provide a source of badly needed, environmentally sound electric generating capacity. This plant will use abundant and relatively low-cost coal and help keep Texas electricity prices in check.”
Tenaska is working with Sweetwater area officials to determine the feasibility of the project and to provide accurate and timely information to Sweetwater area residents.
“This power plant would be an enormous benefit to Sweetwater, Nolan County and West Texas,” said Texas Rep. Susan King. “Along with jobs and increased energy production, we would have a facility that is on the cutting edge of environmentally conscious technology. This type of project demonstrates the spirit and willingness of the Big Country to take the lead in working toward a brighter future. We look forward to working with Tenaska on this project.”
Helen Manroe, Tenaska manager of business development, meeting with Nolan County leaders, pointed out that the Tenaska Trailblazer Energy Center’s captured carbon dioxide “will make a major contribution to the Sweetwater and West Texas economies

“Tenaska is encouraged by the positive response it has received from the Sweetwater and Nolan County leadership,” Manroe said.
“Nolan County is home to more wind turbines than any other place in the United States,” said Nolan County Judge Tim Fambrough. “The Tenaska Trailblazer Energy Center builds on this area’s reputation as a location for progressive, environmentally re-sponsible electric generation. We are delighted to welcome Tenaska to our community.”

Texasfootball2
02-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I read about this yesterday. They say 2,000 jobs at peak
construction and a 100 permanent when completed. I can hear
the Snyder and Wylie posters now.....

What's the 4A cutoff?

I think this is great for Seetwater. Don't know that it will have that much of an impact. Many of the workers on this type of job will be temporary citizens in Sweetwater and probably won't even move their families. The key # is the number of jobs it creates after construction is complete and they are up and running. Those jobs will bring families and increase enrollment.