View Full Version : Kidd trade from Nets to Mavericks now official

kepdawg
02-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Kidd trade from Nets to Mavericks now official

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: February 19, 2008, 12:43 PM ET

Jason Kidd is officially a Dallas Maverick.

"It's done," Mavericks owner Mark Cuban told ESPN.com via e-mail. "J-Kidd is a Mav."

The last proposed version of the deal that had been swirling for about a week had Kidd and New Jersey Nets teammate Malik Allen going to Dallas for 24-year-old point guard Devin Harris, center DeSagana Diop, swingman Trenton Hassell, guard Maurice Ager, Keith Van Horn via sign-and-trade, first-round picks this June and in 2010 and $3 million in cash.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3253107)

JR2004
02-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes!

rockdale80
02-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Possibly the dumbest deal ever......

Pretty pathetic.....

Macarthur
02-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80

Pretty pathetic.....

How do you figure?

kepdawg
02-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Yes!

You crack me up man!

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Yes!

Now the Mavericks might make it one round deeper into the
playoffs.:devil:

It's good to be in the East.:thinking: :D

3afan
02-19-2008, 01:45 PM

Pretty pathetic.....

elabobrate ....

kepdawg
02-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Antoine Wright is also coming to the Mavs as part of the deal.

Originally Wright was going to come to Dallas for a 2nd round pick in a separate deal.

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Jason Kidd will take the jersey number 2, allowing Josh Howard to keep his 5.

JR2004
02-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
It's good to be in the East.:thinking: :D

Good ol Eastern Conference Developmental League.

STANG RED
02-19-2008, 02:31 PM
This is one of those wait and see deals as far as I am concerned. Seems like the Mavs gave up a lot to get him. Kidd is certainly a marquee player, but he's been in the league a long time, so who knows how much he has left. Looks like a big gamble to me, but it might work.

Emerson1
02-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
This is one of those wait and see deals as far as I am concerned. Seems like the Mavs gave up a lot to get him. Kidd is certainly a marquee player, but he's been in the league a long time, so who knows how much he has left. Looks like a big gamble to me, but it might work.
Steve Nash didn't have a lot left either when he went to the Suns 3 years ago.

kepdawg
02-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Mavs Receive:

24 points, 13.8 rebounds, 12.6 assists per game

Mavs Lose:

21.8 points, 9.8 rebounds, 6.8 assists per game

Old Tiger
02-19-2008, 02:42 PM
It's good that it is an even number year or the Spurs would win it all!

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Good ol Eastern Conference Developmental League.

The balance has definitely shifted no doubt. Looking at this it's
about due for another shift.:thinking:

YEAR CHAMPION OPPONENT RESULT MVP
2006-07 San Antonio Spurs Cleveland Cavaliers 4-0 Tony Parker, San Antonio
2005-06 Miami Heat Dallas Mavericks 4-2 Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
2004-05 San Antonio Spurs Detroit Pistons 4-3 Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2003-04 Detroit Pistons Los Angeles Lakers 4-1 Chauncey Billups, Detroit Pistons
2002-03 San Antonio Spurs New Jersey Nets 4-2 Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2001-02 Los Angeles Lakers New Jersey Nets 4-0 Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles
2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers 4-1 Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles
1999-00 Los Angeles Lakers Indiana Pacers 4-2 Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles
1998-99 San Antonio Spurs New York Knicks 4-1 Tim Duncan, San Antonio
1997-98 Chicago Bulls Utah Jazz 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1996-97 Chicago Bulls Utah Jazz 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1995-96 Chicago Bulls Seattle SuperSonics 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1994-95 Houston Rockets Orlando Magic 4-0 Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
1993-94 Houston Rockets New York Knicks 4-3 Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
1992-93 Chicago Bulls Phoenix Suns 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1991-92 Chicago Bulls Portland Trail Blazers 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1990-91 Chicago Bulls Los Angeles Lakers 4-1 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1989-90 Detroit Pistons Portland Trail Blazers 4-1 Isiah Thomas, Detroit
1988-89 Detroit Pistons Los Angeles Lakers 4-0 Joe Dumars,
Detroit

JR2004
02-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
The balance has definitely shifted no doubt. Looking at this it's
about due for another shift.:thinking:

YEAR CHAMPION OPPONENT RESULT MVP
2006-07 San Antonio Spurs Cleveland Cavaliers 4-0 Tony Parker, San Antonio
2005-06 Miami Heat Dallas Mavericks 4-2 Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
2004-05 San Antonio Spurs Detroit Pistons 4-3 Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2003-04 Detroit Pistons Los Angeles Lakers 4-1 Chauncey Billups, Detroit Pistons
2002-03 San Antonio Spurs New Jersey Nets 4-2 Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2001-02 Los Angeles Lakers New Jersey Nets 4-0 Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles
2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers 4-1 Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles
1999-00 Los Angeles Lakers Indiana Pacers 4-2 Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles
1998-99 San Antonio Spurs New York Knicks 4-1 Tim Duncan, San Antonio
1997-98 Chicago Bulls Utah Jazz 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1996-97 Chicago Bulls Utah Jazz 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1995-96 Chicago Bulls Seattle SuperSonics 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1994-95 Houston Rockets Orlando Magic 4-0 Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
1993-94 Houston Rockets New York Knicks 4-3 Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
1992-93 Chicago Bulls Phoenix Suns 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1991-92 Chicago Bulls Portland Trail Blazers 4-2 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1990-91 Chicago Bulls Los Angeles Lakers 4-1 Michael Jordan, Chicago
1989-90 Detroit Pistons Portland Trail Blazers 4-1 Isiah Thomas, Detroit
1988-89 Detroit Pistons Los Angeles Lakers 4-0 Joe Dumars,
Detroit

You know, you're right. There's a shift coming. It's going from the Scorched Earth part of Texas and it's moving down I-10 and heading far west to the land of milk and honey where championship trophies are found in abundance. :)

Texasfootball2
02-19-2008, 03:11 PM
One, this trade gives Mavs a legitamate floor leader, and takes the pressure off of Dirk to have to play the role. Something he's not comfortable with because he's not a natural leader. Two, if gives the Mavs a defensive presence at the point, and someone who can physically take on a gaurd the point guards in the western conference like Parker, Nash, and Barron Davis. Three, he is probably the best rebounding guard in the league.

It may be short term, but for right now and the next couple of years the Mavs will be better off. If your looking towards the future then the trade doesn't make sense.

In this day and age I tend to lean towards making a run at it right now and not so much look to build for the future. The future is to unpredictable, heck in three years Dirk could be on the downside of his career and Howard may be somewhere else. The Patriots, Red Sox, and Yankees have been winning championships with this phylosophy the past decade. Only time will tell, but in my opinion the Mavs really improved themselves for a shot right now, it's just my opinion though.:D

Adidas410s
02-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Mavs Receive:

24 points, 13.8 rebounds, 12.6 assists per game

Mavs Lose:

21.8 points, 9.8 rebounds, 6.8 assists per game

Also...Devin Harris will NEVER be an All-Star point guard. The 2 or 3 all-star caliber years we get out of Kidd at the PG spot are better than the 0 that Harris would ever deliver. Harris is aggressive...but he's wreckless with the basketball. He can't lead a team like Kidd can, and he's very small and prone to injury. By the time Harris gets around to "maturing"...Dirk will be too old and Howard could be playing for another team. The time to win is the next 2 or 3 years while these guys (plus Terry) are still in their prime. Learn to love the trade! :)

JR2004
02-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Learn to love the trade!

I Love the trade!

Texasfootball2
02-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Also...Devin Harris will NEVER be an All-Star point guard. The 2 or 3 all-star caliber years we get out of Kidd at the PG spot are better than the 0 that Harris would ever deliver. Harris is aggressive...but he's wreckless with the basketball. He can't lead a team like Kidd can, and he's very small and prone to injury. By the time Harris gets around to "maturing"...Dirk will be too old and Howard could be playing for another team. The time to win is the next 2 or 3 years while these guys (plus Terry) are still in their prime. Learn to love the trade! :)

YA!:thumbsup:

Macarthur
02-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
One, this trade gives Mavs a legitamate floor leader, and takes the pressure off of Dirk to have to play the role. Something he's not comfortable with because he's not a natural leader. Two, if gives the Mavs a defensive presence at the point, and someone who can physically take on a gaurd the point guards in the western conference like Parker, Nash, and Barron Davis. Three, he is probably the best rebounding guard in the league.

It may be short term, but for right now and the next couple of years the Mavs will be better off. If your looking towards the future then the trade doesn't make sense.

In this day and age I tend to lean towards making a run at it right now and not so much look to build for the future. The future is to unpredictable, heck in three years Dirk could be on the downside of his career and Howard may be somewhere else. The Patriots, Red Sox, and Yankees have been winning championships with this phylosophy the past decade. Only time will tell, but in my opinion the Mavs really improved themselves for a shot right now, it's just my opinion though.:D

I think this trade makes them better, also.

However, I would take issue with one point. I do think Harris is a better defender than Kidd. Harris is very quick and gave Parker fits two years ago when the Mavs won that series. However, Kidd does so many more things so much better than Harris.

Those that are aginst the trade are not telling me why. You basically trade Devin and 2 first rounders for a sure fire HOFer. And those first round picks are going to be in the mid-20s at the highest. Sure, occasionally you find a Josh Howard late in the first, but for every Josh Howard I can find you 10 Dalibor Bagaric's or Jeryl Sasser's.

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2008, 04:22 PM

on the other hand, don't be surprised if Harris ends up as an All-Star in New Jersey...the East isn't exactly flush of top-notch point guards.

Txbroadcaster
02-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I think this trade makes them better, also.

However, I would take issue with one point. I do think Harris is a better defender than Kidd. Harris is very quick and gave Parker fits two years ago when the Mavs won that series. .

Yes he gave PArker fits..But Baron Davis tore Harris up last year

Adidas410s
02-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
on the other hand, don't be surprised if Harris ends up as an All-Star in New Jersey...the East isn't exactly flush of top-notch point guards.
Very true. Right now he's probably 4th behind Billups, Arenas, Calderon, and Miller. He's on par with TJ Ford, Jameer Nelson, etc.

Phil C
02-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Welcome back to Dallas Jason! :clap:

Macarthur
02-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Yes he gave PArker fits..But Baron Davis tore Harris up last year

That's true, but Baron does that to pretty much everyone. He is a linebacker playing PG. Devin just didn't have enough lead in his pencil. Kidd might be able to handle Baron a little better since he's stronger.

rockdale80
02-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
elabobrate ....

The last proposed version of the deal that had been swirling for about a week had Kidd and New Jersey Nets teammate Malik Allen going to Dallas for 24-year-old point guard Devin Harris, center DeSagana Diop, swingman Trenton Hassell, guard Maurice Ager, Keith Van Horn via sign-and-trade, first-round picks this June and in 2010 and $3 million in cash.

I dont think the Mavs got the good end of this trade. Sorry people disagree with my OPINION. ;)

Emerson1
02-19-2008, 05:31 PM
I think he was wanting to know why you said

"Possibly the dumbest deal ever......
Pretty pathetic....."

rockdale80
02-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I think he was wanting to know why you said

"Possibly the dumbest deal ever......
Pretty pathetic....."

I know, and in pasting that I replied. 2 first rounders, 3 mil, Harris, Diop, etc. Just didnt seem like a great trade for a guy that is getting older. Sure he has been in the league for 13 years, but how many more does he have? Plus you are losing the potential of getting 2 first rounders that could help the team as well.

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2008, 05:41 PM
I know, and in pasting that I replied. 2 first rounders, 3 mil, Harris, Diop, etc. Just didnt seem like a great trade for a guy that is getting older. Sure he has been in the league for 13 years, but how many more does he have? Plus you are losing the potential of getting 2 first rounders that could help the team as well.

so to you, not a great trade and dumbest deal ever mean the same thing???

rockdale80
02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
so to you, not a great trade and dumbest deal ever mean the same thing???

In this case, yes. I hope to the basketball gods I am wrong, but I dont think it was even close to a good trade. Plus, Dallas still lacks an inside presence.

Macarthur
02-19-2008, 05:52 PM

You're entitled to your opinion. I just think some of us wanted to know why since you were so adamant about it being "pathetic" and "possibly the dumbest deal ever".

You certainly have the right to think NJ got the better end of the deal, but I think it's really knee jerk to proclaim it "possibly the dumbest deal ever", especially since the Mavs are getting a HOFer and didn't have to touch their top 3 or 4 players to get him.

Macarthur
02-19-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't like giving up Diop either. I suspect they will try to bring in another big body before the deadline.

Emerson1
02-19-2008, 06:09 PM
The only thing I don't like is giving up Diop, even then he was an average center at best still getting way to much credit for 2 years ago.

Harris wasn't going to take this team anywhere the next 2 years.

It's a bigger chance that Kidd leads them to the finals, than getting another Josh Howard with the 25th or whatever pick. Most likely it would be another Maurice Ager. The NBA draft is nothing like the NFL and the immediate impacts late picks make

Jason Kidd got more votes for the NBA All-Defensive team last year than any other PG in the NBA. link (http://www.nba.com/news/alldefensive_070430.html)

Emerson1
02-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I don't like giving up Diop either. I suspect they will try to bring in another big body before the deadline.
Dallas has the rights to Kevin Willis as well, could use him in a sign and trade :)

SintonFan
02-19-2008, 09:26 PM
I agree with you good folks that losing Diop hurts Dallas the most in this trade. Harris could be quite good, at times, but J Kid is more than good all the time... usually.:D

rockdale80
02-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I agree with you good folks that losing Diop hurts Dallas the most in this trade. Harris could be quite good, at times, but J Kid is more than good all the time... usually.:D

For how many more years? I think they them giving up Diop and 2 first rounders over 3 years is a mistake. I guess that isnt the popular opini, but I dont think Kidd is the answer the Mavs needed.

STANG RED
02-19-2008, 10:55 PM
For how many more years? I think they them giving up Diop and 2 first rounders over 3 years is a mistake. I guess that isnt the popular opini, but I dont think Kidd is the answer the Mavs needed.

If Kidd can bring them a championship or two within the next 3 or 4 years, it'll be a good trade. No doubt this was a short sighted trade. Now if Kidd cant deliver and quick, you are dead right in your opinion. Cuban rolled the dice. Now lets see if he craps out or hits his point. It's an awful big gamble on just one player for sure. But I'm guessing they already have a line on a big man somewhere also. If not, this may have been way too short sighted.:doh:

Emerson1
02-19-2008, 11:04 PM
He is the spark they needed. No way was Harris going to lead them through the west this season.

Dallas has 2, maybe 3 seasons to win the championship anyways. Dirk is turning 30 and his ankles aren't getting any stronger, can't wait 5 years for Harris to develop.

zebrablue2
02-19-2008, 11:18 PM

you are correct. the mavs are trying to win now, while the nets are trying to win it 3-5 years down the road. we shall see how it works out, but I believe the nets got the better end of this trade.

rockdale80
02-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He is the spark they needed. No way was Harris going to lead them through the west this season.

Dallas has 2, maybe 3 seasons to win the championship anyways. Dirk is turning 30 and his ankles aren't getting any stronger, can't wait 5 years for Harris to develop.

Agree to disagree....

I think the Mavs could have done better. I think it is an awful trade. Sorry. Still not convinced. We shall see though. I hope I am wrong... I want the Mavs to do well, but I think they got the raw end.

kepdawg
02-19-2008, 11:33 PM
The Nets are going to be tough now!

Real salty lineup:

PG Devin Harris
SG Vince Carter
SF Richard Jefferson
PF Josh Boone
C DeSagana Diop

Look for them to make a deep run in the East!

SintonFan
02-24-2008, 11:50 AM
JKid might have two years. He's what? 45 years old? I know he's 35 but maybe he'll put the Mavs in a better position. I do doubt it like you. I think that trade shows just how desperate the Mavs are.
The Spurs play the Mavs this Thursday. That's gonna be fun to watch.:cool:

Emerson1
02-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
The Nets are going to be tough now!

Real salty lineup:

PG Devin Harris
SG Vince Carter
SF Richard Jefferson
PF Josh Boone
C DeSagana Diop

Look for them to make a deep run in the East!
If Devin wasn't hurt maybe, he has a grade 2 sprain and is still out for a few more weeks.