PDA

View Full Version : The worst decision in history

whtfbplaya
12-02-2002, 10:52 PM
Texas A&M made the worst decision in aggie atheletics for the past 100 years this afternoon.

turbostud
12-02-2002, 11:01 PM
Who cares about Texas A&M anyway. Go Horns!!

eye of the tiger
12-02-2002, 11:16 PM
Three straight loses to Texas is what I think did him in. Other than that he had an incredible record. Never a losing season. 123-47-2 record in 14 years. Three Southwest conference and one Big 12 championships. Not too shabby.

slpybear the bullfan
12-02-2002, 11:39 PM
I think what did him in is what should do Mack Brown in as well...

1.) Get incredible talent for many years.

2.) Forge some great teams with some respectable or great records.

3.) Lose to big teams in the nation once or twice a year; some years lose games you shouldn't.

4.) Fail to crack into the elite 5 teams each year that contend for the national championship.

5.) Play 2nd tier or lower bowl game.

6.) repeat again the next year.

The alumni at A&M and Texas just won't settle for really good records and mediocre bowl wins or more prestigous bowl games that are lost. Call it fair, unjust, etc., but the alumni at both schools are getting pretty desperate for a national championship.

just my $.02

Bulldog92
12-02-2002, 11:49 PM
I think the main problem with both A&M and UT is that they haven't had a QB with the stones to play big against top-notch competition. From what I hear, the freshmen that came in this year could change all that (Young @ UT, McNeal @ A&M). We all know that the coach takes the heat when a team doesn't win as it is expected to...and that's what happened here. As some of you know, I'm a Nebraska fan and I wish they had the guts to let Solich go. They are 7-6 and haven't had a season like this in over 40 years. The difference between him and Brown/Slocum is that he can't recruit as well. I also think the offense the Huskers run isn't gonna win anymore like it once did. They need a new coach with a fresh perspective that can recruit. I feel your pain, Aggie fans..trust me... :D

sinton66
12-03-2002, 12:07 AM
Kenny, that damp Pacific air must be getting to your brain. How can a Jasper Native be a Nebraska fan? Something's wrong here. Where did our great state fail you? ( just kidding buddy) :D :D :D

Bulldog92
12-03-2002, 12:12 AM
I had a cousin that played for the Huskers back in the early 80's when I first started following football. He was Tom Rathman's backup, but never saw the field except for special teams for obvious reasons. They went into and left the program at the same time, so he never stood a chance. So I bleed Husker red. Is that so wrong? :D

sinton66
12-03-2002, 12:17 AM
I understand, and admittedly, if forced to make a choice between Nebraska and any Florida college, I'd become a Nebraska fan too! wink

SintonFan
12-03-2002, 01:09 AM
sinton66:
I understand, and admittedly, if forced to make a choice between Nebraska and any Florida college, I'd become a Nebraska fan too! wink True, true...
or the Californicate state for THAT matter, too.
Sorry about the rhymes, buddy... wink

SintonFan
12-03-2002, 01:12 AM
slpybear the bullfan:

3.) Lose to big teams in the nation once or twice a year; some years lose games you shouldn't.

4.) Fail to crack into the elite 5 teams each year that contend for the national championship.

The alumni at A&M and Texas just won't settle for really good records and mediocre bowl wins or more prestigous bowl games that are lost. Call it fair, unjust, etc., but the alumni at both schools are getting pretty desperate for a national championship.

just my $.02That $.02 is worth a dollar in my mind!
Nice post... :cool:

Aggiemom
12-03-2002, 01:20 AM
Just my two cents here but...from talking to people at the A&M games, the kids don't want to play for Slocum. Some of the recruits are only there because other schools had met their "quotas" for the particular position the individual recruit plays. I, for one, am glad they released Slocum. I think coaches can become stale and forget what it was like "in the day". I just wonder how long he will be employed at A&M. I believe keeping him in some capacity is a wise choice.

Bulldog92
12-03-2002, 02:17 AM
Okay...so who's gonna be next? I've been hearing a lot about Franchione and I think that might happen, but don't forget about former Aggie QB Gary Kubiak. In my opinion, he's a great fit and I think it just might be the job he'd leave the Broncos to take. What do you guys think?

buffalo booster
12-03-2002, 09:15 AM
I believe that Slocum's got three years left on his contract. As a "special assistant," his golf game is certainly going to improve...

I look for Kubiak to come home to Aggieland. He'll bring a pro-style offense to the Big 12. He should do well recruiting. And, most important, he bleeds maroon.

Franchione is not going to want to leave `Bama for A&M. It usually works the other way...

Bulldog92
12-03-2002, 10:53 AM
There are a few pro-style offenses already in the Big 12, so Kubiak wouldn't be the first to bring one in. UT and Oklahoma are two that come to mind...and Colorado's is usually more balanced when they have an adequate passing QB.

oldbuff78
12-03-2002, 10:59 AM
It's Kubiack or Fran..

St. Ivender
12-03-2002, 01:56 PM
The only thing Kubiak has done for the past 20 years is carry Elway's clipboard and Shanahan's clipboard. He would be a huge mistake. Franchione is Emery Bellard's clone.....run run run. A & M should run from both of these clowns. HORNS RULE!!!!

mindy
12-03-2002, 02:26 PM
whtfbplaya:
Texas A&M made the worst decision in aggie atheletics for the past 100 years this afternoon.:D :D :D SO DID A 3A HIGH SCHOOL IN CENTRAL TEXAS LAST SPRING

big daddy russ
12-03-2002, 02:28 PM
St. Ivender:
The only thing Kubiak has done for the past 20 years is carry Elway's clipboard and Shanahan's clipboard......and gave the Broncos a legit running game. Three different 1,000-yard rushers in three years isn't only a product of three great drafts, but also the product of an offensive coordinator who knows his system and the players that fit best into that system. His offensive line is great, albeit small, and fits well with the backs they put in behind them.

I'm an Auburn fan (bigtime rivals with 'Bama) and my friends tell me that Franchione's pretty ticked about some of the things that have been going on over there. I don't know the whole story, but they read somewhere that he didn't know the full extent of the NCAA violations in Tuscaloosa and now he wants out. He might leave 'Bama, but who knows?

BIG19
12-03-2002, 02:30 PM
It really is sad the $$ has to play into who is best for the job. I understand the economics of football, at all levels, is what drives the programs, but why can't people remember that sports are nothing but GAMES. Games played by children/teens/adults, but games none the less. I hate to see greed get someone fired, but that is all it was. Greed from A&M alumni and supporters. Another sad day for A&M.

Brahma73
12-03-2002, 06:14 PM
slpybear the bullfan:

just my $.02You just can't explain the whole mess any better than that Bullfan. Superb post! :cool:

KL3
12-03-2002, 06:52 PM
Kubiak was NEVER in the running, its been Fran for a while now.

Guys, expect the Nebraska A.D. to be announced tomorrow, then Fran on either Friday or Saturday.

Gig'em

Reveille
12-03-2002, 08:35 PM
Fran will be named the new HC on Friday or Saturday. :D :D

Bulldog92
12-03-2002, 09:19 PM
He better do it on Friday. Otherwise, he takes the spotlight off of the Battle of the Bulldogs part one this Saturday. All kidding aside, that's gonna be a great move for A&M. I would love to see at least one of our guys playing for Coach Fran. Say what you want about the guy, UT fans, but he wins everywhere he goes and it won't be any different in Aggieland. :D

JasperDog94
12-03-2002, 10:07 PM
slpybear the bullfan:

just my $.02That's the best response I've heard about this entire situation. Very insightful.

pakrat
12-04-2002, 10:56 AM
Who ever heard of Robert Gates before he fired Slocum. Is he the Jerry Jones of college football?
This thing could blow up in his face. Lets's hope the Aggies don't follow the Dallas Cowboys into oblivion. :mad:

greendog fan
12-04-2002, 03:49 PM
buffalo booster:
I believe that Slocum's got three years left on his contract. As a "special assistant," his golf game is certainly going to improve...

I look for Kubiak to come home to Aggieland. He'll bring a pro-style offense to the Big 12. He should do well recruiting. And, most important, he bleeds maroon.

Franchione is not going to want to leave `Bama for A&M. It usually works the other way...I would have to go with Kubiak. I think Franchiaine would be the better choice but I heard his life dream was to coach the Texas longhorns, If that is true that SHOULD be one black mark against him. Kubiak bleeds Maroon, that should be their choice. GO LONGHORNS AND THE BURNET BULLDOGS.

Reveille
12-04-2002, 05:54 PM
At approximately 3:00 today the bama AD gave permission for A&M to talk to Fran. It is about to happen folks.

slpybear the bullfan
12-04-2002, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words SintonFan, Brahma73, JasperDog94.

You know what they say... I am "Smarter than the Average Bear!

(Yeah, yeah, I know... that has dad joke written all over it! LOL)

Reveille
12-05-2002, 12:56 PM
It is unofficially official. Fran is the new HC at A&M. It could be made public as early as mid-afternoon today.

whtfbplaya
10-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Anyone wana check for me on the last time ATM lost 3 games in a row was or gave up what like 70 to Tech?

PAINTBALL
10-09-2003, 03:26 PM
A&M traded Slocum for this. What a Joke. This was the worst played defensive game ever by the Aggies. If anyone can tell me why the defense did not shoot the gaps on tech's wide line set, I would sure like to know. Maybe then I could put all my ill thoughts about the coaching staff behind me.

K-TOWN
10-09-2003, 05:01 PM
ATM...BOOO... SoOoOOoNERS!!!

JasperDog94
10-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Not looking good so far this year.

Man, someone had to go waaaaaaaaaaaay back to retrieve this post.

xlr8tor
10-09-2003, 11:34 PM
It's his first season, he'll get 'em turned around, but it might take a little time. Just my take.

whtfbplaya
10-10-2003, 01:49 PM
JasperDog94:

Man, someone had to go waaaaaaaaaaaay back to retrieve this post.It's me again going way back, but I remembered making this post last year, and still agree with my conclusion.

oldbuff78
10-10-2003, 03:41 PM
A&M does not have the athletes to fit into the scheme of things right now.

whtfbplaya
11-13-2003, 06:19 PM
whtfbplaya:

JasperDog94:

Man, someone had to go waaaaaaaaaaaay back to retrieve this post.It's me again going way back, but I remembered making this post last year, and still agree with my conclusion.Just had to run this one down the board again.