PDA

View Full Version : Texting can be deadly!!!

Ranger Mom
02-18-2008, 01:49 PM
NEW YORK — A father who said he was upset with his teenage daughter for text-messaging a boy was arrested Saturday on charges of killing the girl, whose burned body was found stuffed in the boiler of his apartment building, police said.

The 34-year-old man called 911 Saturday morning, claiming he had strangled his 14-year-old daughter the night before because of the text messaging and had dumped her body in a wooded area, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.

The girl had been visiting Miguel Matias but lived in Pennsylvania with her mother and two sisters. The parents were separated, and Matias had visitation rights. He had a history of emotional problems and was institutionalized after trying to set a car on fire with children inside in Pennsylvania, Kelly said.

The daughter, believed to be in the car when Matias tried to burn it, was the only child visiting him at the apartment, Kelly said.

Kelly couldn't say whether the teen was dead before she was stuffed into the boiler, and the medical examiner's office is to determine the cause of death.

There was no telephone listing for Matias at the address provided by police.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330929,00.html

Ranger Mom
02-18-2008, 01:50 PM
What I don't understand is, if he was institutionalized in the past for trying to set fire to his car with his kids in it......why the heck would the mother let her daughter go back and visit him???

JasperDog94
02-18-2008, 01:51 PM
How in the world did this guy have visitation rights?:mad:

Panther One
02-18-2008, 02:03 PM
In regards to the original topic, several individuals have died in car accidents that were the result of texting and driving.

STANG RED
02-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What I don't understand is, if he was institutionalized in the past for trying to set fire to his car with his kids in it......why the heck would the mother let her daughter go back and visit him???

Sadly she probably didnt have a choice, due to some moronic judge that gave him visitation rights.
But I'm sure the judge wont be held accountable in the least.:mad:

Lion_Addict
02-18-2008, 02:11 PM
This is just freakin sickening & sad! Too many freakin whacko's walkin the streets!!:mad:

AP Panther Fan
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Very sad.:(

I don't understand why he confessed that he killed her, but said that he had dumped the body in the woods when he actually put her in a boiler in his apartment building.

I must be missing something here.....or I am having a difficult time thinking like a crazed killer.:mad:

Ranger Mom
02-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Very sad.:(

I don't understand why he confessed that he killed her, but said that he had dumped the body in the woods when he actually put her in a boiler in his apartment building.

I must be missing something here.....or I am having a difficult time thinking like a crazed killer.:mad:

He has since been hospitalized for trying to commit suicide in jail.....I would have just let him die!!

Ranger Mom
02-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
In regards to the original topic, several individuals have died in car accidents that were the result of texting and driving.

Oh yeah....I got a very disturbing email with pictures of one such accident!!:eek:

injuredinmelee
02-18-2008, 02:49 PM

yeah no kidding

Rocket Dad
02-18-2008, 02:58 PM
On a similiar subject, My family has four in it. Husband, wife, and 2 teenage sons. All of us have cell phones, but with no text messaging ( chose not to participate ) Why do most people have texting when you can talk to anyone with a cell phone in person.?
I guess I have not figured the purpose of texting.

Ranger Mom
02-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
On a similiar subject, My family has four in it. Husband, wife, and 2 teenage sons. All of us have cell phones, but with no text messaging ( chose not to participate ) Why do most people have texting when you can talk to anyone with a cell phone in person.?

Two words: FOOTBALL SCORES!!

Trying to exchange scores on a Friday night in a crowded noisy stadium is almost impossible.

STANG RED
02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Two words: FOOTBALL SCORES!!

Trying to exchange scores on a Friday night in a crowded noisy stadium is almost impossible.

thats about the only time i text, but it sure comes in handy for that.
I will occasionally text my daughter, when she doesnt answer her phone.

Ranger Mom
02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
thats about the only time i text, but it sure comes in handy for that.
I will occasionally text my daughter, when she doesnt answer her phone.

I never text when it's as easy to call....but the texting of scores is basically the only reason I even have a text package on my phone.

pirate4state
02-18-2008, 03:31 PM

Sometimes you just need a quick answer to a question or want to share something funny and don't have the time for a full conversation. That's why I'll text instead of calling.

AP Panther Fan
02-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Oh yeah....I got a very disturbing email with pictures of one such accident!!:eek:

That was a disturbing e-mail.:(

Texting drives me crazy because I am not very good at it. My daughters will text me and I get frustrated because it takes me so long to respond.

My oldest uses T-9 (presumptive texting) and is or rather WAS very fast at it. Her brand new blackberry curve was stolen at school last Thursday!:mad:

pirate4state
02-18-2008, 03:46 PM

Texting drives me crazy because I am not very good at it. My daughters will text me and I get frustrated because it takes me so long to respond.

My oldest uses T-9 (presumptive texting) and is or rather WAS very fast at it. Her brand new blackberry curve was stolen at school last Thursday!:mad:

:eek: :eek: oh man, you just are not having ANY luck with the cell phones are you??

Ranger Mom
02-18-2008, 03:53 PM

I prefer the T-9 myself!!

AP Panther Fan
02-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: :eek: oh man, you just are not having ANY luck with the cell phones are you??

No, not at all! It was actually in her softball teammates possesion when it was stolen, but I told C that I am not buying her another one or any other phone, for that matter.

I filed a police report and notified AT&T, but unfortunately I didn't have insurance on it because the insurance wasn't going to cover much of anything...like her dropping it etc. I never thought about it being stolen.

I'm still pissed...I even went to the local pawn shop and talked to them at lunch today. They don't accept cell phones.

pirate4state
02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
No, not at all! It was actually in her softball teammates possesion when it was stolen, but I told C that I am not buying her another one or any other phone, for that matter.

I filed a police report and notified AT&T, but unfortunately I didn't have insurance on it because the insurance wasn't going to cover much of anything...like her dropping it etc. I never thought about it being stolen.

I'm still pissed...I even went to the local pawn shop and talked to them at lunch today. They don't accept cell phones.

Sucks for her! Maybe this will teach her to take better care of her things and/or who she can & can't trust! :eek: :eek:

Ranger Mom
02-18-2008, 04:01 PM

I used to carry insurance on my phones (Sprint) but it was $7 a month and then a $50 payment to get another "reconditioned" phone. I had better luck just getting one off of E-bay!

AP Panther Fan
02-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Sucks for her! Maybe this will teach her to take better care of her things and/or who she can & can't trust! :eek: :eek:

let's hope....

she better get a job!

pirate4state
02-18-2008, 04:06 PM
let's hope....

she better get a job!

Ahahahahahahaha r-i-g-h-t this is C we are talking about!!!

http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif

AP Panther Fan
02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Ahahahahahahaha r-i-g-h-t this is C we are talking about!!!

http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif

She considers herself a "professional" cat sitter.:nerd:

CHS_CG
02-18-2008, 07:27 PM
I text 95% of the time.. I can text at work when Im not supposed to have my phone out, I can text without others listening to what I have to say, not to mention I use t-9 and so I can text & not look @ my phone. The best thing about texting is you have the right to not answer somebody or say.. opps I never got that text!

lostaussie
02-18-2008, 08:21 PM
I guess I have not figured the purpose of texting. friday night scores and deer stands...............other than that I like my wife to talk dirty to me when i'm in meetings:D

CHSfan
02-18-2008, 09:05 PM
i just text alot mostly to friends and when i dont want to talk to my parents i just text them what i want to say...like when i text friends i can talk to alot at the same time but i cant when i call....