PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Books

Phil C
02-17-2008, 08:43 PM
I will list a few self-help books I recommend. Some of them are very old so the technology of their times are certainly different than now but they are over 99% fundamental type books that they are useful today and I feel will be useful a 100 years from now. When reading please be aware of the changes in technology and think how the fundamendals can be applied with today's technology. I am sure you will see they are compatible.
I recommend that you read most of the books at least once and get the general ideas of each of them and maybe write it down for future references. Most of them are not long and you can read a chapter a day in probably about 15 minutes if time is a constraint. I think you may get so interested in them you may spend more. I recommend at least one reading of each of the books except the first two listed. You can get these books probably from your local bookstore or interlibrary loan if not available at your local library. Please list your books and they don't have to be self help books or include the ones I listed. I recommend that you at list read the first three from my list.

Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill published in 1937. A great book that puts emphasis on making money but it can be used to help you get other goals such as becoming a good chess player, etc. Mr. Hill recommends 3 readings of the book. I recommend 6. Also I would have titled Chapter 11 Enthusiasm. His main point is to have a Positive Mental Attitude with positive determined action.

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. A great book. I recommend 2 readings. Remember sincerity in Mr. Carnegie's ideas are a must or it will do you no good to read it.

The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Classon. A great book with great ideas. One time to me would be enough if you get the main ideas. In fact I recommend one time on the rest of the books unless you want to read more.

How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling by Frank Bettger. A great book on selling. Mr. Bettger was a good pro baseball player until he was injured and then became a successful salesman. His son Lyle was a great movie star. I recommend that you read at least one book on selling if not this one even if you don't become a salesman or salesperson.

I will recommend others later.

Phil C
02-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Another good book by Napolean Hill wrote with W. Clement Stone is Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude.

Also if worries sometimes get you down too much read Dale Carnegie's book How to Stop Worrying and Start Living.

As a Man Thinketh by James Allen and Acres of Diamonds by Russell M. Conwell. These are good short books.

The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Pearle.

crabman
02-17-2008, 08:56 PM
The two best sales books that I have read are both by Harvey McKay.

Swim With the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive
Beware the Naked Man Who Offers You His Shirt

The best project management, manufacturing, industrial distribution,scheduling type book I have read is The Goal by Elyahu Goldratt. I have read it at least 10 times and I try to read it at least annually. It is told in novel form so it is very easy to read.

Phil C
02-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by crabman
The two best sales books that I have read are both by Harvey McKay.

Swim With the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive
Beware the Naked Man Who Offers You His Shirt

The best project management, manufacturing, industrial distribution,scheduling type book I have read is The Goal by Elyahu Goldratt. I have read it at least 10 times and I try to read it at least annually. It is told in novel form so it is very easy to read.

Good suggestions crabman! Thanks for sharing.

DDBooger
02-17-2008, 09:26 PM
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/lewis24/Cat-Hat-Book.jpg

FutureAD
02-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff197/lewis24/Cat-Hat-Book.jpg

best books ever...lol

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Another good book by Napolean Hill wrote with W. Clement Stone is Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude.

Also if worries sometimes get you down too much read Dale Carnegie's book How to Stop Worrying and Start Living.

As a Man Thinketh by James Allen and Acres of Diamonds by Russell M. Conwell. These are good short books.

The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Pearle.

Phil we must be brothers from different mothers.

I read "Think and Grow Rich" at least 3 times a year, another favorite of mine is " Think and Grow Rich through Persuasion". That book is incredible if you are in any kind of sales.

I just recently read "As a man thinketh", someone at work gave me and e-book copy of it. Great literature.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-17-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm currently reading, "9 Steps to Financial Freedom" by Suze Orman, it's excellent as well.

Phil C
02-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I'm currently reading, "9 Steps to Financial Freedom" by Suze Orman, it's excellent as well.

Thanks for sharing ASU!

Antec
02-17-2008, 10:04 PM
http://www.dancehallsanddreamers.com/

piratebg
02-18-2008, 08:11 AM
The Exorcist........even better than the movie. :thumbsup:

Ranger Mom
02-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
The Exorcist........even better than the movie. :thumbsup:

Pet Semetary, the book........WAY better than the movie!!

Scariest book I have EVER read!!:D

rockdale80
02-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Phil, what sort of non-self help books have you read/recommend?

Phil C
02-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Phil, what sort of non-self help books have you read/recommend?

rockdale80 I have read For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway and I enjoyed it very much. It was made into a movie with Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman and the movie was also great and did a good job of following the novel.

Phil C
02-18-2008, 06:02 PM
One of my favorite western books was Ride the Man Down by Luke Short which was also made into a good movie that did a good job of staying with the book's story.

bhtrainer
02-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Antec
http://www.dancehallsanddreamers.com/

i lovee that book!!! :) i went to Gruene Hall to get it!

Txbroadcaster
02-18-2008, 06:12 PM
A great read is World War Z..one of the best

Antec
02-18-2008, 07:12 PM
http://www.geronimotrevino.com/book.htm

lion75
02-18-2008, 08:31 PM
The Tipping Point by Gladwell

Fal44
02-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Five People you meet in heaven

I never really read, but I love this book it is really amazing...

88bobcats
02-18-2008, 09:14 PM
In my opinion, the greatest novel ever written is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

As this is an election year, it's makes for great insight into the political and socioeconomic maneuverings of Machiavellian looters.

SUPERMANN5107
02-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Colts head coach Tony Dungy's "Quiet Strength" is very good. Also anything by Louie Giglio.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
In my opinion, the greatest novel ever written is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

As this is an election year, it's makes for great insight into the political and socioeconomic maneuverings of Machiavellian looters.

I prefer "The Fountainhead" to Atlas Shrugged, but both are excellent. Anthem was the first Ayn Rand book I read and fell in love with her "ego".

shankbear
02-18-2008, 10:02 PM
You should read To Kill a Mockingbird.

88bobcats
02-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I prefer "The Fountainhead" to Atlas Shrugged, but both are excellent. Anthem was the first Ayn Rand book I read and fell in love with her "ego".

The Fountainhead is a great book. I guess I like Atlas Shrugged more 'cause I read it first.

You can see indications of what's to come in Ayn Rand's We The Living.

espn1
02-19-2008, 01:57 AM
Anthony Robbins - Awaken The Giant Within
Robert Kiyosaki - Rich Dad, Poor Dad
Stephen R. Covey - 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Joel Osteen - Your Best Life Now
Douglas R. Andrew - Missed Fortune 101
Frank Bettger - How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling
Og Mandino - The Greatest Salesman in the World
Napoleon Hill - The Master Key to Riches & Think and Grow Rich
John C Maxwell - The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader / Developing The Leaders Around You / Developing The Leader Within You

These are some Good Ones I have a lot more. I'm trying to see how many of these books I can get through this year.

Remember!
Who you are and who you become is based on who you Associate with!

SUPERMANN5107
02-19-2008, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by espn1

John C Maxwell - The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader / Developing The Leaders Around You / Developing The Leader Within You

These are some Good Ones I have a lot more. I'm trying to see how many of these books I can get through this year

Another good one is "The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership" by Maxwell

Johnny 5
02-19-2008, 08:15 AM
The Gunsling series by Stephen King.

:clap: