PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys

Ranger Mom
07-04-2003, 01:39 AM
Okay, it's 1:38 AM and I am here all by myself (Where is Pinky????). Anyway, I thought I would share an e-mail that I received. (I thought it it was pretty good, and I happen to have a 17 yr. old "Cowboy" myself!)

One of the accusations aimed at President Bush by his detractors is to call him a "Cowboy," as if this is some mark of shame, implying something sinister or simple-minded. I keep wondering why.

Have you ever watched a rodeo?

They've started interviewing the contestants after they compete, giving the audience a little glimpse into the character of these athletes, something like the ones conducted preceding title fights and following basketball and football games.

They go something like this.

"Cody, you made a spectacular ride, which moves you into first place. How do you feel about your position as the number one bull-rider in the country?"

"Well, ma'am, (notice the use of a term of respect, a vanishing social custom among most Americans under the age of 30), I've been real lucky. I've drawn some good bulls and everything has fallen into place for me this year. Some of my competitors have had some injuries and bad luck. I just hope I can stay healthy."

Before his closest competitor comes out of the chute, this cowboy then climbs up on the fence and helps him tie on his rigging. He gives that same guy a high five at the side of the arena when he's beaten by two points on the ride he helped him prepare for.

How many times have you seen an arena full of rodeo fans take to the streets following a competition and set fire to cars or hold an impromptu riot because they felt dissatisfied with the final outcome, as Michigan State students recently did? There is no booing of officials when scores are announced.

I've never heard of a contested call by any competitor, even when it meant the difference between winning and losing.... Cowboys don't whine.

Cowboys regularly loan each other equipment and even horses, frequently $50,000 to $100,000 animals, when a fellow competitor's ride didn't arrive in time for tonight's roping or bulldogging or whatever.

When 'The Star Spangled Banner' is played, to a man and woman they rise to their feet and put their hats over their hearts in respect.

They don't wear T-shirts bearing offensive sexual messages.

When a cowboy (or cowgirl) is injured, the rest hold fund-raisers and donate time and money to help him or her and their families through a rough financial time.

A lifetime achievement is the day when a contestant reaches $1 million in earnings. To reach that goal, he or she has spent about 15 years practicing and suffering dozens of injuries, traveled hundreds of thousands of miles from rodeo to rodeo, frequently with their toughest competition, who also happens to be their best friend.

Headlines never seem to carry news of a world-champion bull rider or calf roper beating up his wife or being arrested for molesting under-age girls.

And they, too, have their groupies and some even have failed marriages,
sad victims of the vagabond lifestyle necessary to follow the rodeo circuit.

They seem to know who their fathers are and most often seem to be married to the mothers of their children. They thank their families for their successes.

So, I have to ask: What's wrong with being described as a "cowboy?"

It seems to me to be high praise in a world full of folks with questionable moral standards, technicolor hair, bodies adorned with rings and tattoos in startling locations and no respect for anything of value or worth.

It seems our "cowboy" president is in some pretty good company.

Sure beats being a Frenchman.

Ride 'em, cowboy!

PhiI C
07-04-2003, 01:53 AM
AND OF COURSE GO SPURS!! (Get the connection? You know between cowboys and spurs.) COWBOYS WIN RODEO CHAMPIONSHIPS AND SPURS WIN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BY BEATING THE NETS IN 6!

BEST NBA SERIES WE EVER HAD!

Ranger Mom
07-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Okay Phil.....we were both obviously up way past our bedtime!! http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sleep/schla14.gif

Vrabird
07-04-2003, 08:14 AM
Well said Ranger Mom. You can call me a cowboy any day. This whole world would be different place to live if people would have the respect and courtesy of a Cowboy.

bulldog65
07-04-2003, 08:45 AM
Amen to this one RangerMom!!!

Rabbit'93
07-04-2003, 09:00 AM
I've been to several rodeos both big and small. And the family atmosphere is everywhere. Respect is a big word and goes a long way with cowboys. Very good article.

exbccards76'smom
07-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Great post Rangermom!!

fwisd
07-05-2003, 10:52 AM
I agree with the article on the cowboy lifestyle. I grew up the third-generation in my family to rodeo - came up thru junior rodeos, high school, went to college on a rodeo scholarship and competed until my own son started youth sports and rodeos himself. My son is, of course, fourth-generation and grew up competing in youth rodeos and high school rodeos and attends Northeast Texas Community College on a rodeo scholarship and also competes in amateur rodeos. Needless to say - this is Cowboy Christmas and we haven't seen him all week! Anyway - the author wrote a very good piece there, but I must say - "cowboy" is not an adjective I would use to describe George Bush - oilman, politician, but never "cowboy" - just my take! Enjoyed the article, tho! Cubs